InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ Wake up Call ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
A New Life With Old Friends
 
 
Ch. 6 Wake-up call
 
 
 
Kagome woke up the next morning, reaching her hand out to stop the incessant ringing of the alarm clock. She hit it, and when it didn't stop, she hit it again. Finally, she just got sick of it, and threw it at the door.
 
SMASH!!
 
Lydia came running in to see what the noise was. She looked at Kagome sleeping peacefully now that the alarm clock was in pieces. She looked at the young woman in amazement, wondering how this one girl went through all that she had. Kagome was stronger than Lydia could ever be. Lydia had a bad relationship when she was younger in college. She had never really gotten over it. From what Kagome said last night, not only did she have to deal with life and death situations daily, but she also had to deal with constant betrayal. Lydia shook her head, watching Kagome roll over, clutching the sheets like a lifeline.
 
`Enough brooding about the past. I'll just make sure Kagome is happy.' With that thought, she moved to Kagome's side, reaching down to shake her gently. Kagome groaned, and ducked under the sheets even deeper.
 
“5 more minutes momma, just let me sleep 5 more minutes.” Kagome murmured sleepily. Lydia was about to shake her again when the doorbell rang. She decided to let Kagome sleep a little bit longer while she went to see who on Earth would be here at this ungodly hour.
 
She opened the door to see a handsome young man standing there, looking sheepish. He had striking reddish brown hair, and intense green eyes. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets, while he gave her a small grin.
 
“Can I help you?” Lydia looked at him suspiciously.
 
“Kagome Higurashi lives here, correct?” Lydia nodded, her attention back on the mysterious man in front of her, who was asking for Kagome. He grinned suddenly, looking relieved.
 
“Good, it would have been really embarrassing if I got the wrong house. I'm Shippo, a friend of hers...” Lydia cut him off by smiling suddenly, happiness lighting up her face. She pulled him into the house.
 
“So you're the Shippo she told me so much about. I'm glad to finally meet you. So, are you here to pick up Kagome?” He nodded, not saying much in his shock that she knew who he was.
 
“Do you think you can go wake her up? I've been trying, but she refuses to get up.” Shippo laughed outright at this. It reminded him of the old days.
 
“She's still like that, huh? Sure I'll go wake her up. I'm sure she'll wake up for her own son. Besides, if she doesn't get up, she'll make us both late, again! Just show me the way.” Grinning mischievously, he walked into the room that Lydia showed him.
 
Shippo looked at his surrogate mother sleeping. He smiled softly, leaning over to tuck some of her silky black hair behind her ear. She grumbled, and turned towards him, clutching his hand. The small breeze that passed his sensitive nose carried her wonderful scent over to him. He breathed in, relaxing in the scent that he had come to find comfort in. His eyes widened as he leaned closer, sniffing her hair. Kagome decided this would be a good time to wake up, and opened her eyes slowly, only to find that there was someone hovering over her.
 
“Aahhhh!!!!” Lydia heard the scream from the kitchen, as well as the resounding slap. She frowned, not sure of what was going on, but guessing correctly it was something Kagome didn't like.
 
“Ohmygosh, Shippo!! What are you doing here? Why do you have a handprint on your cheek?” Lydia chuckled at that last statement, it seems he had gotten too close to Kagome when she was waking up.
 
Shippo looked at Kagome, a grin on his face. He forgot what happened to people who were too close to Kagome when she was waking up.
 
“Hey mom. I thought you might like a ride to school today. If you can get ready on time, that is.” He teased, watching as she panicked. She flew out of bed, and ran to the shower. Chucking, he went downstairs to wait. Lydia had made a pot of tea, and offered him some.
 
Kagome came running down the stairs to find her pup sitting at the table, sipping tea calmly as he spoke with Lydia. He turned towards her, and got up to give her a hug. He had something he was going to ask her, but decided to wait until they were in the car. Kagome gave Lydia a hug good-bye, and they walked out to the car.
 
“Come on Mom, we have to get to school.” She got in, gazing at the interior of the car, amazed at how nice it was. She grinned at Shippo and starting asking the questions that had been running through her head.
 
“So, what about you? I heard you got a mate! When do I get to meet her?” Shippo looked at her in shock. Who could have told her he was mated? Then he remembered what he had smelt before, and grinned.
 
“Mom, for some reason, when I went to wake you up I smelt the strangest scent. It reminded me an awful lot of a certain dog I know. Why would you have that scent all over you?” Kagome blushed, remembering dinner last night, and how different Sesshomaru had been, compared to her last memories of him. Shippo saw the blush and raised his eyebrows.
 
“Did something more go on then I thought?” Her face turned red as she stuttered, wide-eyed.
 
“What!! No! Shippo, shame on you! Sesshomaru just came over for dinner. That's all!” Shippo started laughing as she tried to explain herself.
 
“Then why is his scent intermingled with his, like you two were touching for a while, huh?” She turned red to the roots of her hair, as she looked at her pup, who was laughing so hard he had a hard time concentrating on the road.
 
“Nothing happened!! He just hugged me, that's all!!” Shippo just about crashed when he heard that. He had been fibbing before; he couldn't smell Sesshomaru's scent anymore and didn't know they had actually touched. Sesshomaru never hugged anyone, never! Then another thought came to him as he pulled into the school parking lot.
 
`I wonder, they would be good for each other. Maybe I should encourage them a little more.' Grinning, he and Kagome got out of the car, and headed for the doors. They parted as she went to her math class that she had missed yesterday. Throughout the class, her mind wandered off, thinking about Sessomaru. He had seemed so...different.
 
`Well, duh. Five hundred years can change a person...or youkai.' She fiddled with her pencil, only snapping back to attention when it broke, startling her. The class snickered as she blushed slightly. The teacher sighed in exasperation, and went back to teaching the class. The bell rang, and she practically ran out of the room. She stopped suddenly, getting several curses from people in the hallway as they ran into her, remembering what class she had next.
 
`Oh no, Kouga's class. I completely forgot. It's a good thing that I packed my bag last night.' She walked to her locker, slower this time. She gathered, after yesterday, that he still thought of her as his woman. She hoped that he wouldn't try anything during class. Wouldn't that be interesting to explain? `No, he's not molesting me. No, we're just old friends. NO I'M NOT HIS GIRLFRIEND!' Ha! That would be horrifying in itself.
 
Not realizing she had walked while she was thinking, she looked around and saw she had gotten lost. She sighed, and turned around to try and find out where she was.
 
`Get yourself lost little miko?' she gasped. She was positive that she didn't think that. But, then, who did?
 
`I'm ashamed little miko. Forgetting who I am so soon. I haven't forgotten you...my little miko.' The voice chuckled sadistically, and Kagome jumped as she felt a hand on her shoulder. She whipped around, about to scream.
 
“Kagome, are you all right? I was looking for you before and couldn't find you.” She sighed in relief, and collapsed on Kouga's shoulder, a tear trickling down her cheek. Kouga blinked, taken aback by the sudden weight on his shoulder. Not that he minded or anything. He hesitantly put his hand on her back, rubbing small circles trying to figure what on earth was making his soon-to-be mate cry.
 
“Kagome, we better be going if you want to get to class on time.” She looked up at him, her blue eyes showing the pain that she tried so hard to forget. She gave him a small smile deciding to talk to Shippo and Sesshomaru about it later. She knew that if she told Kouga, he would get possessive, and she really didn't need that at the moment. He was really sweet, but she needed logical advice that somehow only Sesshomaru managed to give.
 
“Sorry Kouga, lets get to class, shall we?” A befuddled Kouga led a now chipper Kagome down to the girls' locker room. He left her there, saying he had to go watch the guys, and make sure they weren't doing anything they weren't supposed to. She walked into the room, and saw all the girls chattering away as they changed into their gym clothes.
 
Kagome was so relieved when she heard that this school let you provide your own gym clothes. She always hated the ones back home. It was like a swimsuit with a shirt over it. Ugg. Now she had much more practical stuff to wear. Today, Kouga told her, they were running the mile outside, so she wore black gym shorts with a blue beater. As she was pulling on her tennis shoes, a girl sat down next to her on the bench, pulling on her own.
 
“Hey, your the new girl, right? I'm Sango.” At the mention of her best friend's name, Kagome's head snapped up, looking the girl in the face. This girl had the same chocolate brown hair pulled back in the all-too familiar ponytail. Her light brown eyes shone kindly, albeit confused, at Kagome, portraying none of the grief and weariness that Kagome had come used to seeing in Sango's eyes.
 
“Sango.” At the whisper of her name, the girl frowned in confusion. The new girl next to her sounded like she had suffered in some way when she said her name. The pain that flashed through her eyes was...incredible. Kagome ducked her head slightly, her hair covering her tear filled eyes.
 
“Are you okay? You don't look too good.” Sango cocked her head sideways, trying to get a better view of the girl's face. When she put her hand on her shoulder though, a sudden, intense pain ran through her. Sango clutched her head, trying to fight the pain that rushed through it.
 
Kagome felt the pain that went through Sango's body as they kept in contact with each other. Kagome tried to pull away, but found herself not able to. The other girls in the locker room were crowding around them, starting to panic as they saw the two girls in obvious pain. They weren't sure what to do.
 
Kouga sighed in frustration. Those damn females were taking forever. Of course his Kagome had gotten there late, but seriously, he needed to make sure they weren't doing something other then getting dressed. He walked over to the girls' locker room, telling the boys to wait while he got the girls. A particularly lecherous teen was Miroku. He kept trying to sneak off to see the girls. It seemed familiar for some reason, but Kouga couldn't place it for the life of him.
 
He was about to knock on the door, when it flew open, almost smacking him in the face. He jumped back, his youkai instincts taking over for a second. The girl looked at him in panic. Kouga got worried instantly, fearing the worst had happened to his Kagome.
 
“Mr. Cain!! Sango and the new girl are hurt or something. We don't know what to do!! You gotta help them!!” Kouga was already inside when he heard, `the new girl'. Rushing past the girls, he snapped at them to back off and give the girls room to breathe. He looked at Kagome, who had tears streaming down her face, as well as Sango, who also had her hand on Kagome's shoulder. He pulled them apart, feeling a brush of pain at the contact, but thought nothing of it.
 
Kagome was out of breath as she realized what had just happened. Sango looked at her with the eyes that Kagome had been used to. Not even acknowledging Kouga's presence, the two young women embraced, both crying softly. The other girls were completely confused. They had no idea what was going on. Kouga was also mystified as to the happenings he was witnessing. He cleared his throat, catching the embracing girls attention.
 
“Yes Kouga?” Kagome asked, innocence shining in her eyes. Sango looked at the gym teacher with a slightly amused, though now saddened, look. The guys decided to go to the locker room, as they were curious as to why their teacher was taking too long. Miroku was actually the one who made the suggestion to go and check on him. With the best of intentions of course.
 
They gasped; the new girl had dared call the teacher by his first name?! The students thought for sure that he was going to yell at her or something, but he just answered her back, like they had known each other for years. How ironic life really is. If only they knew how old their teacher really was.
 
“Kagome, what happened? Are you all right?” Kouga looked at Kagome anxiously, obviously wanting to hug her, or comfort her in some way, but he held himself in restraint. He knew that wouldn't be allowed here, and he wasn't about to ruin his way of seeing Kagome every day. He knew that she didn't love him like he did her yet, but that would change. She would be his mate, and they were going to be happy together. Kagome just had to figure it out. Kouga smirked mentally, `Hey, it's not like mutt face is here to take her from me anymore. There's nothing in our way now.'
 
“We're fine Kouga, we just had a little fainting spell, that's all. Sango and I will be fine. ” Kouga noticed the other girl, how she and Kagome seemed to know something that he didn't. Oh well, he would figure it out later. That girl Sango seemed familiar too. Something was up; he just didn't know what it was yet. He remembered his class after Kagome grabbed his arm, and suggested that they go take their run.
 
As he watched the girls run, the boys doing push-ups and sit-ups in the grass, he felt a surge of pride as he saw Kagome easily out lapping the other girls. Except for Sango, they seemed to be talking as they ran. He frowned, not liking that something was going on with his future mate that he didn't know about. Especially if it was dangerous. Miroku came over next to him, watching the girls run with a glint in his eyes.
 
“Beautiful, aren't they? Just running like that?” Miroku sighed, his focus directly lower then their faces, as Kouga snorted. He really didn't want to have to deal with Miroku at the moment, mostly because he himself had just been thinking that about Kagome. He was wrapped up in his thoughts so he didn't notice that Kagome and Sango had finished ahead of the others. They walked up to him, and Miroku even though they didn't know it, and who was turned around at the moment. Sango was watching the others run, when she felt something on her butt.
 
“HENTAI!!!!” She whirled around and slapped Miroku. As her hand made contact with his face, though, another shock went through her, though not as bad this time. Miroku also felt the shock go through him, seeing memories that he never knew he had before then. Her hand dropped, as Kagome and Kouga looked on in worry. Miroku and Sango looked at each other in shock, then rushed into each other's arms, Sango once again beginning to sob.
 
“Kagome, do know what's going on here?” Kouga whispered, not knowing whether to pull them apart or what. Kagome put her hand on his arm as he started walking towards them, effectively stopping him in his tracks. She smiled gently, her eyes getting watery.
 
“Kouga, do you remember my other companions besides Shippo and Inuyasha?” Kouga was confused, but he did vaguely remember a monk and an... exterminator, maybe? He looked at Kagome, and nodded his head slowly.
 
“Well, their names were Sango and Miroku. In fact, these two now embracing and crying ARE Sango and Miroku. I don't know how they got here, but these two are the real deal. Not reincarnations.” As Kouga was contemplating this, very much befuddled, Kagome walked up the other two, and spoke.
 
“Well Miroku, who knew that your lecherous habits would come in handy?” She grinned as Miroku looked at Kagome in surprise, his eyes widening. He reached over and pulled her into an embrace.
Kouga growled softly at the hug the two were sharing.
 
“Lady Kagome!! How are you?! What are you doing here?” Kagome laughed as Miroku kept shooting questions at her. Kouga decided that it was about time to intervene. He didn't want to get left out of his future mate's problems, and knew that something had to be stirring up, or these two wouldn't be here.
 
“Excuse me, but I believe it's Miroku's turn to run, and your turn to do the push-ups and sit-ups, girls.” They realized that while everything was happening, the students had gathered around, listening intently. They seemed shocked at what Miroku had called Kagome. The three of them turned to look at Kouga with an incredulous look on their faces. He just looked back at them, his face betraying his frustration. Kagome nodded, then turned to Sango and Miroku, whispering something to them; that Kouga only heard because of his youkai hearing.
 
“We'll talk later. We need to figure out what's happening.” They separated, except for Kagome and Sango, they stayed together talking. Kouga didn't know what to make of this new happening. He really hoped it didn't interfere with his dinner with Kagome. Of course the brat had to come too. He would have refused if he hadn't of known how much Kagome missed her surrogate pup. He smiled, thinking of what a great mother she would make to their pups. The rest of the clan would love to see her again. They all missed their sister.
 
The rest of the day wore on, Kouga made Kagome promise to explain everything to him later, which he now regretted doing, because she told him that she was going to invite everyone to dinner so they could figure out what was going on. She then gave him directions to her house, and told him to come at 7pm.
 
Kagome, Sango, and Miroku went to lunch, talking of what had happened after Kagome disappeared. They had gotten married, and had five kids. Kagome was their oldest child, Kochi, their second child, Yasha and Megumi were twins, and finally, their youngest, Yahiko. Kagome was honored that they named their oldest daughter after her. She smiled at Yasha and Megumi's antics, who seemed to always be getting into trouble. Miroku and Sango told her about their children with saddened expressions on their faces. They missed them so much. Kagome felt angry at the thought that they were separated from their kids. Whoever did this would pay dearly.
 
They went to their next classes, which Kagome remembered was Shippo's. She walked into the class, and saw Shippo.
 
“Hey pup, there has been a change in plans for tonight. We're all going to meet at my house for dinner tonight. Something has happened and we need to figure out what.” Shippo looked at her worriedly, but also noting that at the same time she seemed happier then she had been before. Kids started piling in as the last bell was about to ring. He nodded, and watched as Kagome made her way to a seat at the corner of the room. He was about to speak, when the door flew open, and a girl walked in belatedly.
 
“Can I help you?” Shippo noticed a familiar smell, but couldn't place it. The girl had light brown hair, and deep brown eyes. She seemed to frown at him, but Shippo took no notice of it, even though Kagome did.
 
“Yes, I just got moved to this class. My name is Monica Tajiana.” The said girl had a pleasant voice, and seemingly calm demeanor. Shippo nodded, and motioned for her to take a seat. Monica saw that there was a seat open in the corner, next to Kagome. She walked up and sat down. Kagome held out her hand and smiled at the girl.
 
“Hello, I'm Kagome.” Monica gave her a smile back, and shook her hand. For some reason, she felt more at peace around this Kagome girl, who looked to be a year or so older then her. Shippo started his class, wondering what had happened. During the class, he noticed that Kagome seemed to be worried about something, and Monica kept giving Shippo peculiar glances.
 
At the end of class, Kagome came up to him, and he knew that something was wrong. She seemed so preoccupied and sad again. He put his hand on her shoulder, offering some comfort. She looked at him and gave him one of her smiles that he had only known before when she used them after Inuyasha had met up with Kikyo.
 
“Shippo, can I use your phone? I need to call Lydia.” Shippo nodded, and Kagome dialed the number to the hospital.
 
“Surgical services, Tom Ricardo speaking.”
 
“Can I speak to Lydia Jackson, please?”
 
“Just a minute.”
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hey, Lydia, it's Kagome. I was wondering if I could bring some friends over for dinner, please?”
 
“Sure, but I thought you were going out to dinner?'
 
“I was, but something came up.”
 
“Okay, I don't mind.”
 
“Thanks, you're a life saver, Lydia. Hey, is Sesshomaru available? I want to talk to him real quick.”
 
“Let me check.”
 
“Kagome, what did you need?”
 
“Hey Sesshomaru, can you come over to dinner again tonight? Something has happened and I need your help.”
 
“What happened? Are you okay?”
 
“I'm fine, but I'm kind of scared about something, and need your advice. Are you going to come?”
 
“Of course, what time?”
 
“Around 7 would be good. Thank you. See you tonight Sesshomaru.”
 
“Bye.”
 
Kagome hung up feeling a little better, knowing that Sesshomaru would be coming over later. She told Shippo that Sesshomaru was coming too, and left for her next class. She thought about Sesshomaru, and blushed slightly.
 
“You're blushing Lady Kagome, you must be thinking of me, right?” Miroku's voice shook her out of her reverie, where she turned an even deeper shade of red.
 
“Miroku! What do you think your doing?” He just laughed, and then winced as Sango's fist connected with his head.
 
“Miroku! Quit teasing Kagome. Hey Kagome, what class do you have next?” Sango looked calmly at the laughing Kagome, and subdued Miroku.
 
“English, what about you?” Sango's eyes lit up, grinning widely.
 
“Me and Miroku have that class too!!” Kagome grinned, and they started walking towards the English room. When they got there, Kagome noticed that Monica had that class too. She gave her a friendly smile, and sat down next to Sango, with Miroku on the other side of Sango. The class was pretty uneventful, except that Kagome noticed Monica staring at Mirkou and Sango in confusion.
 
They promised to meet at seven, and Kagome met Shippo at his car, after avoiding Kouga by hiding behind the Audi. Shippo found her like that, and started laughing. She huffed at him, and they started on their way to Lydia's. Kagome didn't know what to expect when the others would see each other later, but she desperately needed someone's help. She kept feeling an evil presence, and a strange tickling at the back of her mind. She didn't say anything, but after the whole thing before Kouga found her, she really didn't know to do.
 
She sighed, and started getting everything ready for later. She would call her mother to let her know what was going on, but at the moment, she needed to work out a few things.