InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Reason for Living ❯ The Angel's Song ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Seven
 
Sabrina's lips met Sesshomaru's in a passionate kiss, Janishi standing by and watching in semi-disgust at it. Her heart was racing, her mind was screaming “wake up, wake up”, she forced the blood-poison mixture into his mouth and as she pulled away from him, she hoped to God he was alive enough to swallow. She brushed his hair from his face, away from that emotionless though somehow peaceful face, then stood up, facing Janishi; her eyes were back to red though her hair, her ears, her tail all stayed as they were. The demon looked at her then took a step back as she advanced; he was genuinely frightened, not that he didn't have a reason to be. Sabrina herself felt not totally in charge of her actions as she lashed out at him, slashing and cutting; Janishi fell back a few feet, coughing up large amounts of blood, then growled and attacked her as well, his claws extended. They clashed in the air, only blurs to others, sparks of red and blue and all sorts of other colors illuminating that sky, then suddenly…..
Janishi fell, blood trickling down the side of his mouth, a hand over the large hole in his chest; he laughed up blood this time, “So…..you win…..milady……but don't get…..com….forta….ble…../they/ still…..want……you………….dead.” ;
With one final laugh, Janishi's head fell to the side and his eyes closed one last time; Sabrina looked at him as she floated back to earth, her appearance finally back to normal. She sighed, “Good night Janishi, my old friend, maybe one day you'll be graced with a life not so torrential.”
She then went over to Sesshomaru, the pureblood still breathing but still barely; it was taking too long to work. She sat beside him and picked his head up, moving it onto her lap, stroking his long silver hair as the forest around them collapsed soundlessly. It had been after all Janishi's magic that had caused it, it had been his life force that had sustained it, in his death it disappeared to reveal good old Inuyasha's Forest around them, a tree appearing right behind them. A pale full moon was watching from above as she kept stroking his hair while waiting for him to wake up; night it seemed had fallen though it had been day before, making time seem as if it had been manipulated to some point. Not that she cared; Sabrina focused on the injured demon beside her and as fireflies appeared to dance around her mysteriously, she began to sing softly, angelically. The fireflies glowed dimly as her voice filled the air of the forest, a sweet lullaby for the world:
When the angels came down from heaven above us
They sang a song of peace and love to all who would hear it
It was so sweet and gentle
To the masses and the least
And still it rings from mountains high
And down the valleys deep
Down the valleys deep
 
It lulls me back into a time
When all was simpler
And when I feel my heart be heavy
I just remember how they sing
 
When the world was yet so young and darkness was abound
A lullaby came from the earth and light was born again
It was the angel's song
Reborn from out the land
And when it plays the world is saved
And you will sleep again
You will sleep again
 
So when the angels came again
For the end of time
I will sing the angel's song
And awaken the light again.
She didn't notice him awaken as she sang and as his eyes focused again afterwards, as his heart started to beat more, he watched her sing and felt that tightness in his chest, though he didn't mind it as much. Her voice made him better somehow, it healed him from inside and outside and in the moonlight he thought she looked even more beautiful, like an angel. Is it possible? He thought, reached out to touch her cheek, stopping her and gaining her attention; No….I can't possibly……
“Sesshomaru?” She sounded still so kind, even though he could see the bruises on her neck, ones he'd caused, not to mention the cuts his claws had inflicted. Sabrina didn't look angry at all, rather she looked worried.
“What are you?” he asked again, softer than before, his voice sounding foreign to him, his hand caressing her cheek so gently that it was hard to believe this was the same Sesshomaru as before.
“I'm not sure what you mean.....”
“I'm cold, I'm emotionless, I tried to kill you before, why are you so willing to help me? Why are you so kind? Why do I care about you?”
She gave a small soft smile, “Because I told you before; I saw a good heart deep in you Sesshomaru, I like helping good people. Even if you truly believe you're cold and emotionless, I don't; I think you're rather warm, you just aren't too trusting.”
“I barely know you, why do I trust you?” he asked.
“I can't answer that; you need to realize the answer for yourself. What does your heart say?”
He growled weakly, “I don't have a heart.”
“Do so,” she said with a smile, leaning down so that their faces were inches apart.
Sesshomaru felt that very same heart leap a bit at her closeness, then said, still looking into her endless bloodred eyes, “Because there's something about you that makes me…..makes me…..”
“Makes you what?” she asked before he leaned up enough to kiss her upon the lips. It wasn't like the one she'd given him before; it wasn't to save either one's life, not was it quick and passionate. It was actually very gentle, surprisingly so, and made her feel like butterflies were fluttering inside her. Sesshomaru had closed his eyes and didn't break away until her absolutely had to, reopening those golden eyes to look at her; Sabrina looked flustered, “S-Sesshomaru….”
“Makes me want to do that,” he said with a small smile before putting his head back down and closing his eyes; he felt tired still.
She watched him for a moment, then smiled too and sat back against the tree, returning to stroking his hair; he liked that and fell asleep with a smile. She too closed her eyes and began to hum before allowing sleep to descend upon her too. The fireflies and the moon watched over the two, and when morning came, when those lights were gone and the sun came out, the sun took over the watchfulness.