InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Wolf Prince's Love ❯ The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

`A Wolf Prince's Love'
 
 
 
By kougayurizoku
 
 
Chapter One:
 
 
Kouga jerked his head up in honest surprise at the harsh words. This time that dog-turd had gone too far. He opened his mouth to hurl insult after insult at the witless half demon, but nothing came out. His eyes stung as he glanced at his Kagome, praying she would tell him it wasn't true.
 
She was staring at the ground silently. He averted his eyes from the girl he thought he knew so well. His face wrenched in pain and his heart writhed in his chest. He clenched his fists so tight that his knuckles blanched white.
 
“So Wolfboy, now that you know the truth, I'll bet you feel like a worthless piece of-“
 
“Inuyasha, osuwari!”
 
Inuyasha unceremoniously crashed into the dirt-covered ground.
 
“Blegmph! What was that for?!” He mumbled with his now reddened face still aligned against the road.
 
“Hmph!” Kagome crossed her arms over her chest and scowled at the insensitive hanyou. “How can you be so… brainless?!” She turned to Kouga next. He was completely still, his face downcast to the dirt floor.
 
“Kouga-kun?” She approached the wolf youkai slowly and reached out to touch his shoulder. He shoved her away gently. “Kouga-kun, I-“
 
He shook his head, never looking at her, and turned to leave.
 
“Keh! That's right, wolf, run away with your tail between your legs! Geez Kagome, why'd ya hafta dump him like that?” Inuyasha laughed, wiping a tear from his eye. “Aha…” His laughter died down when Kouga didn't pick a fight with him for his instigations. “What's the matter, Wolfboy? Cat demon got your tongue?”
 
“Inuyasha, shut up!” Kagome shouted, turning on her heel to glare at him.
 
Kouga sighed softly and began to walk away just as the young miko directed her attention back to him.
 
“Kouga-kun, wait!” Kagome shouted miserably and ran after him in a suddenly desperate huff.
 
“Iie, Kagome.” He cursed silently before he took off at full speed. She slowed to a defeated stop when he disappeared from sight, and stared at the dust in the air he had kicked up in his escape.
 
Oh Kouga,” she whispered. “I'm so sorry.”
 
 
ooooo
 
 
“Kagome,” Sango called from the campfire later on that night. “Supper's ready!”
Kagome didn't answer; she was sitting on a rock facing away from the fire, staring off into the darkening distance. Sango sighed and went to sit next to her dejected friend.
 
“Kagome?”
 
She briefly glanced in Sango's direction, then immediately focused her attention back on the chilled horizon.
 
“Inuyasha told us what happened.” Her voice was gentle when she spoke, and a sigh slipped past her lips.
 
“I-I didn't want to hurt him,” Kagome began in a soft whisper. “That's why I never told him. It was a horrible mistake. I allowed him to believe in a false hope…” A tear rolled down her cheek. “He looked so crushed. I never believed him when he said he loved me, but seeing his face at that moment…” She burst into tears, burying her face in her shaking hands.
 
“Oh Sango,” She whimpered. Her best friend pulled her into a comforting hug. “I can't even imagine what he must feel like right now.”
 
 
ooooo
 
 
Back in his den, in the private room only he was allowed to enter , Kouga reflected in the pitch darkness, alone.
 
`How could I have been so stupid?' His mind demanded of him. His hand fumbled around on the cold floor of the cave, blindly searching for something- anything he could throw.
 
`When I fell in love with her, she told me she was taken.' When at last his hand selected a stone, he hurled it at the cave wall as hard as his unreserved strength would permit.
 
`I should have just given up.' He slowly stood and faced the wall of stone, glaring at it miserably. `Why do I have to be so freakin' stubborn?' Raising his clenched fist, he punched the wall with all of his might, allowing his anger to replace common sense. A tear found its way down his cheek and he slowly lowered his bloodied fist from the now crumbling section of the wall.
 
`Why, Kagome?' He rested his back against the broken wall. `Even after all of this…' As his knees gave out, he slid down slowly and buried his head in his hands. `Why do you still have my heart?'
 
 
ooooo
 
 
“Kagome, Sango, come and eat with us.” Miroku called from his seat by the fire. He poured two bowls of soup and placed them on either side of him. He calmly sipped at his own dinner before: “It's going to get cold, you know.”
 
Sango nodded at the Houshi.
 
“Come on, Kagome. You need to eat.” The taijiya stood and ambled over to where Miroku was sitting, calmly slurping his dinner.
 
“I'm not hungry.”
 
Inuyasha glared at the girl from his post on a tree branch above the campfire.
 
“She's too busy feeling sorry for that stupid wolf.” He said matter-of-factly.
Kagome stood up from her rock and spun on her heel so she could face him directly.
 
“He's not stupid, and it's all your fault anyway!” She shouted at the hanyou.
Inuyasha jerked up from his relaxed position against the tree trunk, his anger freshly sparked.
 
“How is it my fault?!”
 
Shippo rolled his eyes and seriously contemplated with himself on how small Inuyasha's brain must be. Sango and Miroku sipped their soup quietly.
“I'll bet you one sen Kagome wins.” The demon slayer muttered to her companion.
 
“That won't be necessary. Inuyasha's a dead man already.” The monk whispered back. Sango nodded her agreement.
 
“How is it your fault? How is it your-?! Argh!” Kagome spun around again and sat on the rock, folding her arms against her chest.
 
“See! It's not my fault! You can't even tell me why it's my fault, can you?!”
 
“In-u-ya-sha…” She fumed.
 
He gulped knowingly and clung to the tree for dear life. “Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari! Osuwari!”
 
“Kuso!” He cursed as the prayer beads around his neck glowed dangerously. The branch snapped and the impact drove him five feet underground. When the spell was subdued enough to allow him to move, he leapt out of the pit his body had created and spit out a mouthful of dirt.
 
“Kagome! What'd you do that for, you useless wench?!”
 
She narrowed her eyes at him, threateningly. His mouth clamped shut involuntarily.
 
“That's it, Inuyasha!” She walked over to the campfire and started digging through her overstuffed yellow bag.
 
“What are you doing now?” Inuyasha asked, rolling his eyes at her anger.
 
She yanked out a light pink jacket and pulled it on over her school uniform.
 
“I'm going out to look for Kouga!”
 
“Nani?!”
 
Miroku and Sango stopped slurping their dinner and looked up at her in obvious shock.
 
“That's right! I'm going to go see if he's all right.”
 
“Why?!”
 
“What do you mean `why'? I'm worried about him!”
 
“Kagome, please reconsider.” Miroku pleaded with her.
 
“It's dangerous out there, Kagome! You could get hurt!” Sango added. “Just wait until tomorrow morning. We'll all go look for him then.”
 
Kagome shook her head.
 
“ I need to do this now. Besides, I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.”
 
“We'll go with you.” Miroku offered.
 
“No thanks. I'm going alone.”
 
“Fine. Whatever. Go. See if I care.” Inuyasha muttered. Kagome rolled her eyes at him.
 
“Be careful, Kagome!” A worried Shippo crawled into her arms.
 
“Don't worry about me, Shippo, I'll be back soon.” She said as she set him down next to Miroku.
 
“Okay, Kagome, but if you're not back by noon tomorrow, we're coming to look for you.” Sango alleged.
 
“That's fine. I'll see you later.”
 
With that being said, she ran as fast as she could in the direction they had just traveled from.
 
`Please Kouga…let me find you.'
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: Thank you very much for reading! Reviews are welcomed and highly appreciated!
 
Until next time.