InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Youkai and A Hanyou Walk Into A Bar ❯ My Immortal ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

…………
Disclaimer: I feel the need to apologize for everything in this one. Oh, and the characters belong to Rumiko Takahashi, not me. I'm sure you already knew that.
…………
 
Originally posted 8/29/05 at the inu_comedy club on LiveJournal.
 
Additional Note: The lyrics to My Immortal are by Evanescence. Shouldn't every Sess/Kagome fanfic should have that playing in the background?
 
 
My Immortal

I saw them there in the moonlight, beneath the Goshinboku. The hanyou and the priestess, entwined in passion, silver and ebony locks tangled in each other's fingers, lost in each others embrace - it shattered my heart into thousands of tiny pieces, each one sharper than the fragments of the Shikon Jewel. How much more could I take?

And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave…


With a muffled sob, I turned and ran into the forest, wishing to remove myself as far from the awful scene as possible. Inu-Yasha…in spite of our arguments, our disagreements, our childish bickering, I had always believed that deep down, we genuinely cared for one another. And yet, like so many other things in this life, it had all been a lie. I meant nothing to the silver-haired hanyou, nothing at all.

`Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone…


The previously clear skies had become overcast, and soon the heavens began to mimic my weeping. Tears mingled with fat raindrops, as if the earth were wrapped in my sorrow. In the darkened night, the root of a tree caught my ankle, sending me tumbling to the ground in an undignified heap. A sharp, piercing pain shot through my ankle as I tried to rise, and defeated, I gave up the attempt.

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase…


The rain continued to shower upon me, and I felt my body slowly becoming as numb as my heart. “No more,” I sobbed weakly, knowing there was none to hear my plea. “Let me leave this world behind; let this pain end!” I cried.

The comforting darkness began to swallow my vision, and I knew no more.

“Please wake up, please!” The hoarse whisper in my ear brought me back to a fuzzy awakening. I was wrapped in a warm embrace, pressed against a strong, firm chest. “C'mon, wake up for me - wake up!” A roughened palm cupped my cheek, the heavy thumb tenderly tracing my jaw.

“K-Koga?” I murmured, pressing my face against his breastplate, my cheeks flushing with shame. To be found out here in this condition, so helpless and sad…it was humiliating. “What…what are you doing here?”

“No, don't try to move,” he cautioned me as I made a feeble effort to sit up. “I was tracking some game nearby and picked up your scent,” Koga told me. “Why are you out here by yourself? Where are your companions?”

My tears began to fall anew. “They're back...at the...the village,” I choked out the words. “I was looking for...for Inu-Yasha and...and I found him with her! They were..you know...and he was screaming her name…” I wailed. “Oh, Koga!” I collapsed upon his breastplate, sobbing uncontrollably. “I just want to die!”

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me…


“No, don't give up on life because someone doesn't realize how precious you are,” Koga begged. “It's not worth it!”

“But I thought we had something special!” I wept. “We even made love to each other, and it was so beautiful, and I thought - kami, I'm so stupid! I should have known I'd always be second best!”

“That's it,” Koga crooned, holding me tightly. “Just let it all out, you'll feel better. C'mon, cry all you want. I can take it.”

He continued in this vein for hours, cradling me in his arms and soothing me as I poured the emotion from my aching soul. Throughout all of it, his claws stroked through my long hair, gently untangling the matted strands. I had never seen this softer side of the wolf demon before; in the past, he'd only shown his cocky bravado.

At last, my emotional upheaval was spent, until my breathing was punctuated by only the occasional sniffle. “Kami,” I muttered, scrubbing at my face with my sleeve. “I can't believe I just fell to pieces like that...”

“You've been under a lot of stress lately,” Koga pointed out. “And catching Inu-Yasha and Kagome doing the nasty...well, it had to be a bit of shock.” He drew a lacy white square of fabric from out of his breastplate. “Hankie?”

“Thanks,” I muttered, taking it from him. I blew my nose several times, then handed it back to him.

“Er, just keep it,” he offered.

“Are you sure?” I asked. When he nodded, I tucked it into my voluminous white sleeve. “I'm a mess,” I sighed.

“Nah,” Koga assured me. He released me from his arms and stood up, stretching. “Hell, I can't figure out how you do it.”

“Do what?” I asked, confused.

“How you manage to look so pretty all of the time. I mean, c'mon, you just sat out in the rain all night. You should look like a drowned puppy. Instead, you look like you just stepped out of the shower. There isn't even any dirt on your clothes!”

“It's a gift,” I murmured. “The Lord of the Western Lands can't go about looking like a vagabond, can he?”

“I guess not,” Koga shrugged. He held out a hand to assist me to my feet. “Let's go, Sesshomaru. You don't want to hang around here all day. Don't you have enemies to melt with your poison claw or something?”

“I suppose,” I sighed heavily.

“Look, Sesshomaru, don't go getting all depressed over a woman. It probably doesn't have anything to do with you. Kagome can't help it if she likes that piece of dog-shit - it's those damn fuzzy ears of his! You and I didn't stand a chance, not really.”

“That's not what she said the other night,” I scowled. “Oh Sesshomaru, you're so beauuutifulll!” I mimicked. “Let me see how many stripes you
really have! Hmph!” A sudden thought struck me. “Koga - you won't tell anyone about this...incident...will you?”

“Only if you promise not to tell anyone about the...er, incident in Kyoto,” the wolf demon assured me. “I've kind of got a reputation to uphold, you know? Alpha male of the pack and all that, and if word got out that I...”

“My lips are sealed,” I promised. “I bid you a good day, Lord Koga. Are you certain you do not wish me to return the hankie?”

“It's yours. Keep it.” And with those parting words, the prince of the wolves sped off across the countryside.

The morning sun was shining bright, bringing the promise of a new day. I vowed to be strong, to not allow my broken heart to defeat me. “I shall not be vanquished by a mere slip of a girl...woman...Kagome...” the tears threatened to return and I blinked them away hastily.

Squaring my shoulders, I forced my visage to return to its customary expressionless mask. I was a busy demon. I had territories to patrol, a hanyou (or two) to destroy, a toad-minion to abuse, and a cute little youngling to raise; I could ill afford the luxury of tears. I would be strong!

And yet, a part of me would always belong to a priestess with ebony locks and a smile full of mischief…

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me…


............

A/N: Don't get me wrong, I adore Sess/Kag pairings. (Duh.) This was written as a knee-jerk response to reading one to many fics that began with “Kag sees Inu kissing Kikyo beneath the Goshinboku and runs off crying…”
 
The fangirls will surely lynch me.