InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Always ❯ Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Always
 
Chapter 7
 
 
 
 
When Kagome awoke, it was still night. She attempted to get up, but it was so painful that it took three tries before she succeeded in getting unto her elbows. She didn't see Kouga anywhere, but she could tell he had slept next to her; the furs on the right of her were indented, as if he has spent quite some time there. She also noticed that there was a cup of water next to the bed. She assumed he had left it there in case she woke up. He left me…
 
She tried to sit up further, but it bent her midsection in such a way that she cried from the pain. Seconds later, Ginta and Hakkaku were by her side.
 
“Onee-chan! You're awake!” Hakkaku said.
 
She nodded. Ginta tried to help her into a comfortable position.
 
“Where… where's Kouga?” she said, wincing.
 
“Oh, the leader instructed us to stay with you. He wanted to be here with you, but he wouldn't allow us to go in the river. Another child was very sick, and he went there to bring down the fever. He should be back any minute…” Ginta explained.
 
So he didn't leave me, he went to help another cub… Kagome felt sheepish for jumping to conclusions. She asked them who had gone with him.
 
“With?” Hakkaku said, puzzled. “No one went with him. He insisted we stay here, so…”
 
“What?!” Kagome yelled. She remembered that none of them really knew what happened at the river. They probably just thought they had all been wet and that they were cuddling…
 
Kagome blushed, but her anger and concern remained. “One of you get over there RIGHT NOW!” she ordered.
 
The two wolf demons practically ran into each other, then began arguing over who should go. For them, both tasks were an honor. Kagome was getting angrier by the minute.
 
“Figure it out… or I will have Kouga skin you both alive!” she commanded through gritted teeth.
 
I hope it's not too late… I can't believe he went by himself! If he drowns again, no one would know what to do! He should've taken them to the river with him! Kagome mulled over her thoughts over and over while the two wolves decided that Hakkaku would go. Ginta stayed behind and sat on the floor next to Kagome.
 
“Are you hungry?” he asked. “It's been quite some time since you ate…”
 
“Just a little. It hasn't been that long. Just a few hours,” she said, smiling.
 
Ginta looked at her incredulously. “Kagome… you have been asleep for three days. This is the third night since the accident,” he said solemnly.
 
Kagome was stunned. “Well, I'm not dead yet…” she said sarcastically.
 
“Ha ha, yes. Well, would you like some food? We had all had dinner already…” he asked, nervous of making her angry.
 
“Oh, I guess,” Kagome said, a little sadly for missing out on so much.
 
Ginta nodded, and told her that he would be back shortly, and left the cave.
 
Three days… she thought. It loomed over her, like a rain cloud over an already overflown river. She thought again of Kouga's safety. She couldn't bear it if he died. When did I begin to care so much? I love all my friends, but is Kouga more than a friend to me now? She began to sob softly, her head in her hands. A growly voice shook her from her thoughts. She looked up, and it was as if her very thoughts had summoned him.
 
It was dark at the entrance of the cave, but Kagome knew it was him. That voice… She could see his outline, hands on hips. She couldn't see his face, but as he spoke, she knew he had one of his grins on his face.
 
Kouga had heard her crying before he entered his cave. He had rushed back when Hakkaku had told him that Kagome was awake, and had threatened them if one of them didn't accompany him. She was worried… A smile had formed when his companion told him what she threatened them with. Maybe she thinks the cold was gonna get to me again… He had been drying the wolf cub off; a girl, a little older than Yuki, but in animal form. Finished with his task, he instructed Hakkaku to bring the cub back, and took off for home. Now, standing in the mouth of the cave, watching as she cried, he wondered if any of her thoughts lingered on her wounds. He wondered if she thought that he hadn't properly protected her. He wondered if she thought that it wouldn't have happened had she been in InuYasha's care at the time. He didn't want to ask, but he needed to know. Later.
 
“Who gave you the right to order around my pack?” he said, grinning.
 
Kagome could practically hear him smile. She began to wipe her face, and she smiled.
 
“I order whomever I want,” she said.
 
Kouga's grin became even bigger. He began to walk towards her, the fire he had built before he left lighting him more as he got closer.
 
When she could see his face in the firelight, Kagome finally felt like it really was him standing there. The ache was present, and emotion swept over her, finally relieved to know he was okay. She began to cry again. Kouga moved to her side.
 
“Are you in pain?” he asked worriedly, placing his hand on her back.
 
Between sobs, Kagome answered, not telling the entire truth. “Y…yes. I was just… so glad… that you didn't… that the river hadn't… that you're okay.”
 
Smiling, Kouga gently lifted her chin, making her look him in the eye. Her eyes quivered like the waters of the very river they spoke of. Kouga stared into them for a few moments before speaking.
 
“I told you, I'm never leaving you,” he said.
 
Kagome just stared back, but the emotions that ran through her head showed on her face. What does all this mean? I used to feel like this with InuYasha, but I know that Kouga loves me, and there is no other. What are all these feelings? There are so many, I can't tell what I'm feeling! she screamed in her head.
 
Kouga could tell she was confused, but she was blushing slightly. On one hand, she hadn't said anything. On the other hand, she hadn't refused him and changed the subject like she used to. He decided to test her feelings. Bending forward and making sure not to bump into her wound, Kouga hugged her. He held her tightly enough to let her know how he felt, but loosely enough not to harm her. She didn't struggle, but instead she wrapped her arms around him, and cried softly.
 
Kagome had never expected it, but then again, she felt mildly disappointed. Once again, she thought he was going to kiss her, but he was holding her instead. It felt so good, and she didn't want him to let go. And that's when she knew.
 
Kagome broke the hug, wiping her tears. Suddenly, her appearance came to mind. She ran her fingers through her hair and smoothed her pajama bottoms.
 
Kouga thought that this was peculiar, but he didn't say anything about it. Instead, he studied her, drinking in her beauty, her scent. He noticed that she was a little pale, and perhaps a bit thin as well.
 
“Have you eaten yet?” he asked sternly.
 
This did not bode well for Kagome's sudden self-consciousness, and she shook her head.
 
“Ginta was getting something for me. He left a few minutes before you came,” she told him.
 
“Why that lazy… why isn't he back with your food yet?” he demanded.
 
Kouga stood, stomping as he left the cave. Kagome tried to stop him, but her words were lost on him. She didn't hear any violence, but she worried for them anyways.
 
Soon afterwards, Kouga came back and told her he was going to check on the elderly, and that he would be back shortly. As he was exiting, both Ginta and Hakkaku returned, each carrying much more food than Kagome could eat. But that wouldn't stop her from trying.
 
 
Angry with himself, Kagome, and Kouga, InuYasha had ran off to be with Kikyou, helping her in the village she was currently staying in. They hadn't even spoken much, only to do their jobs and small talk. There was no mention of the past, and certainly not of the future. InuYasha felt as if he was more depressed being here than at Kaede's. He had been gone for about four nights, but he felt it was time to go back. Otherwise Kagome would be even more mad. Hell, she may have even gone back to her own time again. As he finished clearing a tree out from a house it had fell on, he approached Kikyou.
 
From the look on his face, she already knew what he was going to say.
 
“InuYasha, I cannot talk to you in the village. For a priestess to be seen talking to a half-demon… I want them to trust me,” she told him.
 
“I know. But I have to go back. Everyone is waiting for me,” he said.
 
“You mean Kagome,” Kikyou said coldly.
 
“She's one of them, but we have to try to find Naraku,” he explained.
 
He embraced her, and she hugged him back. Letting go, InuYasha began to run towards Kaede's village.
 
People always trusted Kagome, even when they saw her traveling with a half-demon. There were times they didn't, but it always turned out okay… InuYasha thought to himself.
 
About halfway between the two villages, InuYasha crossed a river, and he jumped over it, knowing it was a mountain river, and too cold to go through. On the other side, he resumed running when a familiar coppery smell reached his sensitive nose. He stopped in his tracks and whirled around. He approached the river. Following his nose, he reached the bank, and lowered himself to all fours, sniffing the south bank of the river. It was blood, but it was familiar. It was faint; perhaps old. But he knew that smell. He ran faster towards Kaede's village.
 
Reaching the town, he ran straight to the old miko's home. Not finding anyone there, he went around to the back of the hut, and found Sango, washing some clothes.
 
Sango looked at InuYasha and scowled. “So, are you done with Kikyou?” she asked.
 
The way she had said `done' and the look on the demon slayers' face was rubbing InuYasha the wrong way. He growled.
 
“Where's Kagome? Did she go back to her own time?” he asked anxiously.
 
“No, she's still with Kouga. But she probably wouldn't still be there if you weren't always running off with Kikyou…” she said coldly.
 
InuYasha gritted his teeth. “She's in the mountains?” he asked.
 
“Yeah. She was here a few days ago, but Kouga took her back,” she said, going back to her work.
 
“Whaddya mean, `took' her? Did he carry her off again?” he growled.
 
“No, baka, she was unconscious. He took her back to care for her,” she said without missing a beat.
 
Stunned, InuYasha stood there, expressionless. Sango wondered if she should hit him with the Hiraikotsu to knock some sense into him. Surely he must've smelled her blood with that hypersensitive nose. She and Kaede still couldn't get the stain off the table they had used…
 
Finally, she began to see a look of dread come across InuYasha's face, which quickly turned into anger.
 
“What… happened?” he said slowly.
 
“She was bathing, and a bear attacked her. She's fine now. Kouga killed the bear, and he's tending to her,” she said quickly and matter-of-factly.
 
Sango barely had enough time to recognize the rage in his face before he turned and leapt away, heading north.
 
“That'll teach him…” she mumbled under her breath.
 
Even with the knowledge that she was safe, the anger he felt drove InuYasha to run hard and fast, jumping from rock to rock as he reached the beginning of mountain territory. That wolf has gone too far…
 
 
Full and rejoined with Kouga, Kagome was happy and feeling better. She wasn't in much pain, only if she moved too much. And every time she made a sound as if she was in pain, Kouga was all over her, asking if she was all right. He reminded her of a mother hen, clucking and scurrying over her chicks. She was content, and thought she might lie down again. As she began to lower herself, Kouga jumped to her side, bracing her and helping her lay in a position that she was comfortable with. She wanted to lay on her right side, and she smiled when Kouga blushed while having his hand on her left hip. When she was comfortable, Kouga sat next to her. Ginta had cleaned up, and was attending to the children with Hakkaku, so they were alone again. Kagome propped her head up with her arm, and they stared at each other for a bit before Kouga broke the silence.
 
“Kagome, it's almost time to change your bandages again,” he told her.
 
Kagome looked surprised. “Again? How many times have you changed them?” she asked.
 
Kouga laughed gently. “Three times a day. That's what Kaede said,” he told her.
 
“Kaede?” she said quizzically, prompting Kouga to tell her how he had carried her there, and the miko had stitched her up.
 
Kagome hadn't given her care another thought, but it made sense now. She wondered what everyone had thought, and said so out loud, staring into the fire now.
 
He had told her that Sango had tried to attack him, to which she laughed. He told her how Sango had then been distracted by Miroku, who was trying to peek at her half naked body. This shocked Kagome a bit, as she had forgotten that she had only had a towel on when she had been attacked. She blushed hard, knowing full well that Kouga would have seen her naked to carry her to Kaede's.
 
“Don't worry,” he said, “I closed my eyes anytime you were in front of me.”
 
Kagome nodded and thought about asking him her next question. She deiced it was okay.
 
“What… what about InuYasha?” she said nervously.
 
Kouga knew it was coming. But she would probably be upset if he told her what Kaede had told him. He decided against it.
 
“Oh, he was really worried, but Kaede calmed him down. He's okay now,” Kouga said.
 
Kagome squinted as she looked at him. It made him crouch slightly.
 
“That is such a lie!” she yelled. “InuYasha would have never let me leave with you if I was hurt!”
 
Waving his arms in front of him defensively, Kouga backed away slightly.
 
“Okay, okay,” he said submissively, “No, he wasn't there…”
 
“He was probably with Kikyou…” she said.
 
Kouga tried to read her expression before continuing. She didn't seem angry or sad at the thought of InuYasha being with Kikyou. Could it be… could she not have the same feelings for InuYasha anymore? He decided to continue.
 
“That's what Kaede said. Kikyou is in the village to the north of theirs,: he said, watching her intensively.
 
Kagome just shrugged. “Yeah, it would figure that if we showed up there late, he'd already be gone…”
 
Kouga was amazed at her reactions, but he decided not to push it.
 
“You should get some rest,” he half-commanded her.
 
Kagome nodded, and she lowered herself, putting her hands under her head in an almost praying position. She watched as Kouga stood. He turned to leave, but was stopped in his tracks.
 
“Please… don't leave me,” Kagome pleaded sleepily.
 
Kouga turned, walking back to the furs where she lay. Lying next to her, he watched the flames light her face, and she did the same.
 
“Never,” he said softly.
 
Kagome mustered all her strength and suddenly threw her arms around his neck. It had hurt, since they were both in awkward positions, but she didn't let him know. Instead, she held him tightly, burying her face in his neck. In the movements, she had also brought her body closer to Kouga's, who was stunned. He had no idea what was happening, but that annoying pressure in his chest was back, along with its' friends, Mr. Burning, and Miss Electricity. Suddenly becoming very possessive, Kouga held Kagome tightly, letting his emotions take over. He ran his fingers through Kagome's hair, and she moaned lightly, and he realized she was falling asleep. He smiled, and they fell asleep holding each other.