InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ An Intentional Solitude ❯ The Curse ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“The night is drawing near, we will make camp here.” Sesshoumaru had led her off the path into the arbor. They came upon a small clearing in the trees where they’d be able to build a fire and lay down. Kagome was relieved that he finally decided to stop, they’d been walking all day and her feet hurt.

“I’ll gather some firewood!” Kagome cheerily said, grabbing her bag. She’d use this opportunity to change into more comfortable clothes for the night. As she walked through the brush she smiled to herself. It really had been a long time since she’d slept under the stars, and it brought so many fond memories to her mind. While they were memories she really didn’t enjoy bringing up, as they came with pain, the words of the old woman echoed in her mind. Kagome brought her finger to her lips,

“The curse...a gift?” She was brought out of her thoughts when she heard rustling behind her. She turned slowly, her fear spiking somewhat, “Sesshoumaru? Is that you?” When she heard nothing else, her gaze returned forward and she swallowed loudly. “Just my over-active imagination I gue...” Her voice abruptly stopped as something cracked over the back of her head. She felt the pain only momentarily before the world went dark.

Sesshoumaru’s posture stiffened as soon as he had smelled them, what were humans doing this far into the forest? He leapt from the ground and flew over the trees. Searching out the source of the foul stench. He landed amidst the trees when something caught his eyes, the yellow bag. He bent down and picked up the surprisingly heavy object. The girl’s scent was all over it, along with the scent of three other humans.

“She must only be able to detect demons...” He thought to himself. She would not have been able to sense the surprise attack, seeing as humans do not have strong presences and her sense of hearing and smell is poor. He sniffed the bag once more, and then the air. She can take care of herself, remember? a voice in his mind protested when he actually readied himself to go after the miko. Perhaps when it comes to demons, but humans are the worst creatures of all. Sesshoumaru ended his thoughts and leapt into the air, following the trail of the miko and the humans he could only assume were her attackers.

Kagome awoke to the feeling of being dragged, and that she was. She looked up and wanted to hit herself. There, dragging her by the feet, were the two men from the restaurant. Kagome swallowed, finding it rather difficult with the cloth stuck in her mouth. She looked down and found her hands bound. Well how am I going to get of this one? Kagome thought to herself, This is what I get for traveling. she added bitterly. She surveyed her surroundings attempting to gather ideas and looked down at her side. Oh thank Kami! They had not taken her sword yet. They came upon a small hut and dragged her inside. As one looked behind himself at the girl on the ground, Kagome quickly shut her eyes and tried to remain still. She could hear his voice,

“Rujouku’s gonna have fun with you bitch!” Kagome heard their steps as they walked out of the hut, refraining from groaning as one kicked her in the stomach. When she opened her eyes again, they strained against the darkness. She heard someone coming, most likely this “Rujouku” person, and she knew she had to act quickly. She felt for the guard of her sword and wrapped her hands around the handle. She lifted the blade slightly from its sheath and brought her hands lower. She touched the rope binding her hands to the blade and began sawing at the rope. Her heart fell in relief as the bindings broke and her hands rushed up to her face to rid her mouth of the gag.

She stood quickly and leaned against the wall next to the door. She had her sword, sheathed, hovering above her head ready to strike when he walked through the door. Like the clouds bring rain, the man stumbled through the door just as Kagome knew he would. She acted quickly bringing the sheathed sword down on his head. As he crashed to the ground groaning, she could smell the sake. She looked closely at the face of her assailant and saw that it was the same man from earlier. Twice in one day, right in the kisser! Kagome cheered to herself momentarily. She realized she was wasting time to escape and quickly put her sword back at her hip. She glanced out the door and saw Rujouku’s two henchmen standing guard. How had they not heard all that? Kagome returned her eyes to the hut she was in. She’d have to find some other way out. Luckily, the hut was in great disrepair and there were openings all along the walls. She found the largest hole opposite of the front and began climbing through it. She was halfway through when the sound of one of the voices behind her made her stop dead.

“Boss you alri...hey! Tetsuda she’s getting away!” Kagome quickly scrambled out before either could reach her and she ran into the trees. She heard the two voices of the men scurrying after her and she had to do something. She leapt into the bushes next to her. She felt around the ground and breathed a sigh of relief when her hand came in contact with a stone. As the first man ran past her field of view, she stood and, like a gun, she shot the stone right at his head.

“Bingo!” Kagome exclaimed as it came in contact with the back of his skull. However, she realized the mistake of revealing herself when the fist of the second man came in contact with her jaw. She was flung back against a tree, the pain burning through her head. Kagome moaned and brought her hand to her face, looking wearily up at her attacker,

“Not so tough now are you bitch?!” He looked down at her grinning and quickly unsheathed the katana at his side, “You’re gonna pay, little girl, for what you’ve done!” The blade was at her throat and Kagome looked up at him defiantly. He voiced his rage and brought his arm back. The sword shot towards her throat and Kagome closed her eyes as she readied for her death.

Instead of pain and black however, all she heard was the sound of his shouts of pain and slight gurgling noise. Kagome’s eyes reopened only to find Sesshoumaru’s clawed hand emerging from the man’s chest. He lifted the human in the air and flung him off to the side. Kagome’s wide eyes found their way to the now lifeless body. She’d been so playful and content around the demon, she’d forgotten just how dangerous he was. She glanced up at the Taiyoukai, blood dripping from his claws, and she rose slowly from her position on the ground. Sesshoumaru turned, not saying a word, and started pacing away. Kagome composed herself and ran after the white-haired demon.

“Sesshoumaru!” She called after him and sighed in relief when he paused. She looked up at him, suddenly at a loss for words. She said the only thing she really had to say at that moment, “Um, thank you...”

He glanced down at her. She was looking down at the ground and had a strange look on her face. Her eyes were down-turned and she seemed angry. Angry, not at him or the men who had attacked her, but, herself? Ah, Sesshoumaru mused, She is ashamed for needing aid. He looked away from the girl and continued walking towards the camp. Seeing the girl, normally cheerful, like this made Sesshoumaru, for the first time in his long life, want to console someone. He wouldn’t though. She was strong on her own, and would get over it. He did voice, however, the first thing that came to his mind,

“Miko,” She looked up at the back of the Taiyoukai, “This Sesshoumaru did not come to your aid, only to rid the earth of those filthy beings.” Kagome wanted to laugh. Even now, after everything he’d been through in his life, he still refused to admit protecting someone. Even so, she was grateful he had been there.

“Sesshoumaru...” Kagome whispered, but did not finish her statement. He continued walking, and soon heard the sounds of her picking up sticks here and there.

Kagome smiled as she looked up through the trees. The stars were shining and the moon was full, illuminating everything around. Her arms were full of sticks as she padded softly behind Sesshoumaru. He wasn’t all bad. He’d saved her, whether he wanted to admit it or not. She was rather frustrated in herself for one, needed his help at all, and two, the way she sort of just gave up. She could have, should have thought of something, but she didn’t. She just sat there, waiting to die. Was she really that miserable? I suppose I am...five years alone does that to a person I guess... She mused to herself. She sighed as the painful memories she’d spent those five years suppressing started to resurface. She could barely remember Sango’s laugh, Miroku’s voice, and Shippo’s smile at this point. Her mind was doing a good job pushing those out of her life. Inuyasha to her now, was just a blur, a blink. Or at least he was, until Sesshoumaru showed up. The hair, the eyes, helped bring her memories of Inuyasha back in a rush. It hurt, more than she could describe.

When he came to her, all those thoughts hits her. Now however, as she spent more and more time with him, she saw how much different he was from his brother. Where as Inuyasha would have yelled at her for going out by herself in the dark, Sesshoumaru just brushed it off and walked away. Sesshoumaru had faith in her to take care of herself, Inuyasha hadn‘t, ever. Inuyasha was brash and outspoken, where as Sesshoumaru was thoughtful and calculated. They both had tempers but Sesshoumaru’s was more controlled. Sesshoumaru did not insult her as Inuyasha would, but Inuyasha did not instill a vicious fear in her as Sesshoumaru did. Fear, respect, and awe were the emotions she felt around Sesshoumaru. Where as Inuyasha she felt friendship, care, and love. When she thought about it, they didn’t really look anything alike, except for the hair and color of their eyes. Inuyasha had a rougher, rounder face with big beautiful eyes. Sesshoumaru’s was longer, and more feminine in a sense. However, his distinguished cheek-bones, straighter nose, and masculine eyes made him actually very attractive in Kagome’s opinion. They both were very handsome, but while Inuyasha was more of a boyish handsome, Sesshoumaru was genuinely grown and perhaps the very definition of the word. She smiled once again. At least I’m not alone anymore Kagome thought. While he may not have been Inuyasha, she still had someone who might in time, grow to be a friend.

“It’s time to stop living in the past.” Kagome mumbled to herself. She blushed quickly realizing she’d said it out loud and glanced towards Sesshoumaru. He was still walking and she figured he hadn’t heard her.

Now what ever could she mean by that? Sesshoumaru figured she was thinking of his wretched half-brother. Based on what little knowledge he had of humans, he presumed that he reminded her of the hanyou.

“You’re the reason the hanyou has two pasts aren’t you?” Sesshoumaru had turned to the girl who now eyed him with a glazed-over look in her eyes. When she didn’t respond he only turned away and continued walking. He could only guess what she had done, but he knew it was her.

Kagome, having grabbed her bag on the walk back, now dropped it and then the sticks in the middle of the clearing Sesshoumaru had chosen to stay. The Taiyoukai and lowered himself to the ground with his back against a tree. Kagome frowned at the sticks. Shippo had always been the one to start the fires when they traveled. Perhaps this journey was going to drive Kagome insane. She reached inside her bag and pulled out a box of matches she’d saved. However, when she glanced up at the Taiyoukai, she was not sure how he would react to such a thing. Oh well, she thought to herself as she lit the match, Not like he can do anything to stop me from going home. She laughed far to coldly at that point for the demon’s taste.

What was she thinking about? Why did he care? He had watched her pull the strange box from her bag, remove a small twig from it, and somehow by pulling along one side of the box she caused a flame to start. She put it down to the pile of wood in front of her and soon the fire was ablaze. Kagome looked up to find Sesshoumaru staring at her strangely.

“Do you know where I’m from?” She asked meekly returning her gaze to the fire.

“Not of this world.” Sesshoumaru answered, frustrated with girl. Here she had been strong, cheerful, and optimistic during the day but now she was just moping. Whining like the disgusting human she was. In all honesty, he was not sure where she was from. But his memories of strange clothes and her odd mannerisms told him she was not of this time, perhaps not even this planet. Plus the factor of her healing abilities. She laughed, this time more lightly and more like her,

“It’s in this world,” She giggled, “Just not this time.” She smiled up at him, and he was relieved momentarily to see it. Relieved, until he realized, she was mocking him.

“Are you laughing at this Sesshoumaru, girl?” He narrowed his eyes at the miko who’s laughter just increased, what was so funny? She couldn’t help it, was she that strange that he thought she was from a different planet? Breaking News! Martian Kagome attacks earth, what are we to do? She glanced up at the demon, only to find him very ready to disembowel her. She composed herself quickly with just a small smile gracing her face.

“No, no, I just had a funny thought come across.” She snickered quietly but ceased when Sesshoumaru let out a small growl, “Back to where we were!” She smiled, genuinely, and Sesshoumaru’s anger seemed to melt away. The moonlight hit her cerulean eyes in a way that made them look like two gems placed upon her lunar colored skin. Her fussed hair glittered with blue highlights in the illumination, and even though her new haori was dirty and covered in spatters of blood, she still looked heavenly. Sesshoumaru‘s lips were parted ever so slightly, his eyes somewhat widened as if he‘d seen a ghost. “Sesshoumaru...what are you...?” Kagome glanced down at her clothes and squealed upon her notice of them. He quickly composed himself as the girl jumped up in disgust. “Oh no! I have to wash these, now!” Kagome began sliding the blue haori off, leaving only the under kimono which was rather thin for Sesshoumaru’s taste. He grunted his disapproval of the girl now stripping in front of him, and broke her hurried movements. She looked down at her person and immediately blushed. “Oh I’m so sorry Sesshoumaru-sama!” She quickly turned her back towards him and looked down, I can’t believe I just DID that! She mentally cursed herself. The under-kimono was very thin, and the sweat-soaked silk clutched to her features. All of them. Well at least I was smart enough to keep my hakama on, he would’ve gotten an entire show! She bit her lip, her face burning.

“Miko, compose yourself.” He watched the back of her head as she nodded. “There is a stream nearby, you may wash in that.” She broke out a small “hai” and grabbed her pack. She quickly paced off, no doubt fueled by her embarrassment. Sesshoumaru sighed and wanted to laugh at the girl’s stupidity. Laugh and curse the gods simultaneously. He’d just gotten a very detailed view of the priestess’s upper half, something he did not wish to see, now or ever. Ever? a small voice in the back of his mind piped up. Sesshoumaru pinched the brow of his nose between his fingers,

“Ever!” He shouted to no one in particular. The girl was driving him insane. One day with her and now he was talking to himself. As he listened to the girl stumble off in the distance, her scent lingered in front of him. The priestess’s aroma was complex he decided, sniffing the air. It had the floral parts, cherry blossoms and water lilies, but also other layers. At one point he could smell sandalwood, probably from her day at the market, sweat or course, and the trademark aroma of humans. However, her humanity in the layers of aromas was the least noticeable. Strange... Sesshoumaru thought to himself, Usually the ningen smell is the strongest when encountering them. He leaned back into the tree and closed his eyes. He inhaled and relaxed slightly, With these other fragrances, her scent is actually, rather...pleasant. With that he stopped his train of thoughts and went back to more pressing matters. Pretty smells weren’t going to make his problems go away, he needed a battle plan for when they reached the cave. His mind delved into strategies for his encounter, occasionally finding the miko, and questions about said miko, entering his thoughts.

Kagome hadn’t stopped running until she reached the stream. She collapsed in front of the cool water and cried out in relief. She would have kept running forever if the water hadn’t blocked her path. She wanted to cry at that point, And I thought catching Inuyasha watching me bathe was bad! She put her hands to her cheeks, They’re still burning! While she had been running for quite some time, the redness to her face was still somewhat remnant of her actions in front of the Taiyoukai. Kagome dipped her hands in the water and splashed her face, trying to calm her racing heart. She sat breathing for a moment, calming herself down.

“No use in fretting I suppose, it won’t make the past go away.” She wanted to hit herself for what she just said. Her memories flashed before her eyes, “Priestess, giving yourself to the rocks will not make your past, or theirs, disappear...” She could recall the hime’s words, and her eyes started to fog over. The tears began to stream down her face and she had to use what little energy she had left to hold back her cries. Sesshoumaru will hear. She admitted to herself. She did not want him to see her in this state. She didn’t want him to see this sad, pitiful shell of a girl. She brought her hand to the back of her head. Right where her neck met her skull, she put a slight pressure there. It hurt, more than anything she’d felt that day, to press against it. It always did...

Sesshoumaru could smell the girl approaching, something different in her scent this time. He couldn’t quite place it, but when she came into view, her eyes low and red, he knew she’d been crying. The trace of her tears was faint, he assumed she’d washed it away. Much like Rin, she tried to hide the evidence of her sadness. He remembered how Rin would turn away from him had she awoken from a nightmare. She’d twiddle with her sleeves, keeping her face low, so he wouldn’t see her. He could always smell the salt though, it was a rather strong smell, and he hated it. Why did females insist on carrying out this strange manner? Crying would never solve the problem, would not make the monsters go away, why did they do it?

As Kagome approached, he noticed she had changed her clothes. They weren’t much better than the silk under-kimono he grunted to himself. The girl emerged in strange clothing, much like the outfits he remembered her prancing in five years ago.

“Miko, that is hardly decent.” Kagome stopped, looking slightly confused, and followed Sesshoumaru’s gaze to her own clothes. She had put on a light pink tank top and cotton shorts to sleep in. I’ll where this era’s heavy clothes in the day, but hell if I’m going to be uncomfortable while I sleep! She mused to herself and realized Sesshoumaru was still staring at her,

“It’s hot.” Was all she said as she sat down on the earth. Her shoulders, collar-bone and oddly long legs were all out in plain sight for everyone to see. She was embarrassed before but not now? Sesshoumaru thought to himself. She pulled from her bag a strange object made out of a shiny cloth-like material and laid it on the earth. Sesshoumaru’s eyes widened when he heard the high-pitched zipping noise as Kagome opened the object. He noted how it looked somewhat like a futon the ningens would sleep on, just...portable. The girl climbed in and closed the cloth-bag, as Sesshoumaru had dubbed it. She turned towards him, her eyes glittering in the fire light. She seemed to stare at the flames forever. Her voice rang through the silence after some time,

“I wished on the jewel.” She said in almost a whisper. Sesshoumaru opened his eyes slowly to show his acknowledgement and attention. She was not looking at him however, her eyes still transfixed on the fire. “I asked that everyone’s life would return to the way it was before the Shikon jewel affected them.” Sesshoumaru contemplated her words. While he was not aware of all the details of his brother’s story, he knew the reason he was not with his woman at the time of Naraku was because of the jewel and Naraku’s evil intentions. Kagome continued, “When I did that, Inuyasha and Kikyo went back to before Naraku tricked them, and they were free to live, love and die. Sango is still in her village with her brother, and Miroku, well, I’m not sure where he is right now.” She sighed, the infuriating sadness ringing in her voice. Sesshoumaru sat silent for a moment before he replied,

“Why not return to the demon slayer?” Kagome blinked, gazing longingly at that flames, and then broke away. She slowly turned her head and gazed up at Sesshoumaru.

“She does not remember me. None of them do...” She exhaled quietly, “My time is five hundred years in the future. On my fifteenth birthday I fell in a mystical well and came to be in this world. I had the Shikon jewel embedded in my body, and it was the only reason I was able to pass through the well to your time. The only reason any of my friends knew me was because of the jewel and when I made my wish, I disappeared entirely from their worlds.” Sesshoumaru thought about this. That would explain why he’d heard the two different rumors of his brother. The one he knew to be true, in which Inuyasha helped destroy Naraku and complete the Shikon jewel, and then the second. Sesshoumaru had heard another rumor, which he assumed was a lie, or about a different person with a similar name, that Inuyasha had wedded a priestess fifty years earlier and they were now both dead. While their deaths in the story were a mystery to him, the girl’s story now helped answer his questions. Kagome had returned her gaze to the flames.

“If your story is true, miko, then why do I recall exactly who you are and what you did?” Ah the million dollar question. Kagome had been wondering the same thing since he came to her. She turned on her back and sat up.

“I’ve been asking myself the same thing.” She looked up and seemed lost in the stars. Sesshoumaru didn’t know why he was suddenly so curious about the girl, but he had a million questions running through his mind. However, the one question that actually pertained to his mission of destroying a demon was at the top of his list.

“Your blood heals quicker than any human, what is your weakness?” He needed to know her weakness. He wasn’t sure why, but he needed to know it. Perhaps so he could prevent the enemy from using it on the girl, or perhaps so he could dispose of her afterwards. Kagome’s light laughter broke him away from his thoughts. She had returned her gaze to his,

“And why would you need to know that Sesshoumaru-sama? So you can kill me when this is over?” She’d seen his intentions all along. He wasn’t keeping it secret, but he hadn’t voiced the idea to anyone but himself. “I can’t be killed.” She said quietly, “Or at least, not easily.” Sesshoumaru should have been surprised, but he wasn’t. After-all, the girl had taken a direct hit from his poison claws and had barely even noticed. Kagome knew she shouldn’t be telling him this, but she just wanted to share with someone, anyone. “There is one point on my body, that causes me great pain. Strike me there and you will do damage. However, only when I’m truly happy in life, when everything is going right for me, will you be able to kill me. Strike me there when I want to live most, and I will die. That’s how the curse goes.” Sesshoumaru knew she wasn’t going to tell him where the spot was, she would have said it by now. But he supposed he could try and get some other answers in the meantime.

“Curse?” Was all Sesshoumaru voiced. Kagome picked up a stick and began drawing the dirt next to her sleeping bag.

“Yeah,” she laughed lightly, “Two years after I made my wish I found out what had happened to Shippo.” Sesshoumaru searched his memory for the name. A picture of a small fox-demon child formed in his mind, though the image was vague and blurred. Kagome’s eyes glazed over and she looked away from Sesshoumaru, “The only reason he survived was because Inuyasha and I had saved him from the Thunder Brothers when he tried to avenge his father. Without us, they took him...” Kagome’s voice was shaky, but she refused to cry, “They killed him.” She took a long breath, and slowly turned back to Sesshoumaru. “I killed them again but not without realizing that every demon Inuyasha had killed with me, every person we helped along our journey, had returned to the same state they had been. My life’s work was pointless.” Sesshoumaru frowned,

“This Sesshoumaru is not interested in sad stories of a ningen girl’s self-pity.” Kagome smiled at him, still with the sadness in her eyes however. He wanted it gone, the self-sorrow and pitiful displays of lingering memories. The past was past, it could not be changed. He left out the fact that Kagome had changed the past with her wish, from his argument. He heard her small giggle,

“That’s why I’m cursed though.” Sesshoumaru brought his attention back to the girl, “When I found that my life’s work was indeed undone, found out that I’d lost everything I cherished, including my way back home to the future, I didn’t have the will to live anymore. I was standing atop a cliff, watching the blue waves crash at the rocks below me, ready to jump and join them, when a beautiful hime approached me...

“Priestess! What are you doing?” She called out to the girl leaning over the edge. Kagome replied, still looking down at the waves,

“Everything I’ve ever done in my life has been for nothing. I’ve lost everything and I’ve helped no one, why should I be allowed to live?” The hime only glanced sadly at the broken miko as she walked up next to her. The princess glanced over the edge of the cliff, and then looked up to Kagome.

“How dare you think you can decide whether you are needed or not.” Kagome was taken aback by the woman’s words, “The world needs a light like you, I can see the good in you flooding from your soul. Your works may have been undone, but that does not mean they cannot be fixed.” Kagome stood motionless, unmoved by the hime’s words. “Priestess, giving yourself to the rocks will not make your past, or theirs, disappear, you must know this.” Kagome still ignored her words and took another step forward. The woman sighed, whispering something too quiet for Kagome to hear, and pulled a simple bracelet from her wrist. She grabbed Kagome’s hand, despite the miko’s threats to jump if she came any closer, and clamped the bracelet down on her wrist. “You are not to die now, for disobeying fate you will be punished!” Kagome’s eyes widened as the hime suddenly became harsh and spiteful. “You wish to die? Well now you will be forced to live!” The princess suddenly pushed Kagome over the edge, immediately becoming ashes in Kagome’s line of sight. The miko heard whispers on the wind, the last words of the hime, “If you still wish to die, you have one weak point. Push the blade of the one you cherish most through it when you are happiest, then and only then can you rest .” Kagome felt the rush of water as the ocean crashed down around her. She could have laughed, she missed the rocks...

“From then on, I’ve healed so well. I cannot be killed except by the one I cherish most, and only when I’m happy.” Kagome had laid back down and returned to staring at the fire light. Sesshoumaru pondered her words and glanced down at the wrist lain out next to her face. There, glimmered the bracelet Kagome had spoken of. It was simple, silver, wrapping neatly around her pale skin. The only thing unique to it were carvings of strange symbols along its flank. Sesshoumaru recognized the language and it surprised him slightly to see such an old dialect. The text was written in an ancient demon language known as Kaedrian, one he knew only vague bits of. Had this trinket survived for so long living off of troubled humans? Sesshoumaru rose from his seated position and paced around the fire. Kagome turned on her back and glanced wearily up at the taiyoukai now glaring down at her,

“Umm...hey...?” He stood for moment staring down at the girl, a look of confusion scrolled across her face. She let out a small shriek when the demon caught her wrist and pulled her straight of her sleeping bag. “Ah what are you doing?!” Kagome shouted, somewhat frightened of the cold glare of the Taiyoukai.

“For someone who’s immortal, you are strangely frightened of many things.” Sesshoumaru clipped, glancing thoughtfully down at the girl’s wrist, now hovering in front of his face. He had pulled the bracelet up close for examination and in the process had Kagome on her knees with her arm stretched above her head.

“Yeah well,” she replied glaring up the demon, “You’ve always had that effect on me.” Sesshoumaru almost smirked at the comment, his arrogance flaming knowing he instilled fear in even one who couldn‘t die. He continued his examination of the metal object, frowning as he attempted to remember the things his father had taught him on Kaedrian. He recognized only a few of the symbols, “yn” meaning “and“, “aoul” meaning “gods”, “graoul” meaning “demons”, and “yergth” meaning “battle“. Sesshoumaru could only guess the rest and it gave him just an ambiguous idea as to what the bracelet was.

“What are you looking at? It’s just a silver bracelet!” The girl’s voice broke his train of thoughts, Can she not see the symbols? He looked back at the bracelet, Perhaps only demons can see the text?

“There are symbols in an ancient demon language written on here.” Sesshoumaru replied and Kagome looked dumbfounded, “This Sesshoumaru assumes only demons can see it, or you would know what he speaks of.” He dropped the girl’s wrist and paced back to his spot under the trees. He lowered himself to the ground and shut his eyes, leaning back against the tree. “We will leave at dawn, be awake.”

Kagome sat, her knees under her, and stared questioningly down at the cursed bracelet. She glanced up at Sesshoumaru and nodded. She slid into her sleeping bag and let darkness come over her.