InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ An Unrevealed Secret, A Hidden Past ❯ A Fox, A Wolf, and A Friend ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

An Unrevealed Secret, A Hidden Past

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, I can only dare to dream!

Notes: OK, first. Kikyo IS NOT in this story. She just wouldn't help the plot at all. Hopefully you've figured out the first two parts of the title, if not, oh well, just keep on reading. There will still be POVS so don't worry. Now let's get on with the story!

Chapter Five:

A Fox, A Wolf, and AFriend

Raven was trudging back to the hut, after a very tiring day at work. Inuyasha still wouldn't leave her mind, but she refused to go out looking for him. The woods seemed darker without her being reassured that he would protect her. Suddenly, there was a loud roar. It echoed all around her. She stifled a scream and ran blindly until she was out of breath. Gasping for air, she leaned against a tree trunk.

"Help!" wailed a voice. The voice a little child!

"Where are you?" Raven called. There was some scuttling and a little creature popped up into her arms. She almost dropped the thing in her surprise, but looked at it, fear alight in her eyes.

"Uh…are you OK?" she asked. The trembling ball looked up at her and she smiled at it. The little child had red hair and big blue eyes, but had unusual little fox feet and a huge bushy tail.

"What ~are~ you?" Raven asked, trying to keep her cool.

"A fox demon!" it replied, smiling toothily at her. Fox…demon? She gulped.

"Were you the one who was yelling?"

"Yes, we have to get outta here! A cat demon is right behind us!" Raven didn't hesitate to start galloping back to Kaede's hut. Inuyasha surely wouldn't save them this time, finally it was up to her!

The little fox stayed curled up in her arms the entire time, squealing with fear, holding her tight. Finally, there arrived at the hut. They were safe now. Old Kaede was a priestess and she could certainly kill a demon with her bow and arrow. Raven opened the door and rushed inside. The old woman had finally opened the thick drapes that covered the windows and sunlight spilled in.

"K-K-Kaede! Cat demon! After us!" Raven panted. She moved with amazing accuracy for something that carried such age.

"Calm down child, you are safe." Nonetheless, she foraged for her bow and a quiver of arrows. She sat near the door, facing them.

"Who is your friend?" Kaede asked.

"Uh…what's your name by the way?"

"Shippo!" he piped up, his grip on Raven loosening.

"Why was that cat demon chasing you?"

"I found her kittens. She's mad at me!" he explained.

"Oh. Where are your parents, surely they are worried!"

"M-my parents were killed!" Raven cuddled poor Shippo, kissing him on his cheek.

"Awww…Shippo, don't worry. You can live here with us, isn't that right Kaede?"

"Aye." Before anyone could rejoice, a hiss sounded.

"NO!" Shippo squealed, snuggling deep in Raven's dress. "It found us!"

"Child, leave Shippo inside, you come with me!" Kaede ordered. Raven nodded, put him down, swallowed hard, and went outside.

The demon was huge. It had scorched orange fur, slitted, cold yellow eyes, sharp fangs, and gigantic claws. Kaede loaded up her bow, but before she could shoot the demon, she was knocked off of her feet. The demon growled and crushed the bow, then turned to Raven.

"Where is the kitsune?" it demanded, claws ready to swipe if she answered wrong.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" No way she was going to rat on Shippo because she was cowardly to save her own hide!

"You smell of him…now where is he!"

"Shippo didn't steal or hurt your kittens! Leave him alone!" In a flash she grabbed an arrow. But how was she going to shoot it?

Before the demon could advance her, Shippo burst from the hut.

"Shippo!" Raven wailed. "Go back inside!"

"NO! I've gotta help!" Holding his breath, he put a leaf thingy on his head, jumped up in the air and disappeared in some gray smoke. When it cleared, a tan, squiggly bow lay before her.

"What are you, a snail?"

"A bow! Now shoot!" Raven hurriedly picked it up and aimed the arrow at the cat.

To her surprise, she laughed.

"HA! You think some petty human arrow can kill me think again! I can smell your fear, you can't even shoot!" Raven grew angry at the demon. She trembled in rage, pulled back the string, feeling power surge through her fingers, and released it. THUD!

There was a scream of pain and the cat demon crumbled to the ground, dissolving into blue mist. Raven had shot her through the head. She had no chance shooting it through its heart. Pounds of sinewy muscle and thick fur had protected it.

Raven rushed over to Kaede, who was getting up.

"Are you alright?" she asked worriedly.

"Fine, Raven. Just a little winded." She helped her up and guided her back to the house.

"How is it that you destroyed that demon?" Kaede asked.

"Well, you're bow was destroyed, so Shippo came out in the nick of time, and transformed into a bow! Then I shot it through the head."

"How is it that you know how to shoot?" This had been concerning Raven for a while.

"Maybe…maybe it is linked to my past…" Kaede nodded.

"You may have enjoyed archery as a sport, or…" Her eyes twinkled. "You could be the descendant of a great priestess!"

~*~*~*~*RAVE POV*~*~*~*~

I gasped in surprise. Me? The descendant of a great priestess? It is possible. Then maybe I'm not so useless after all! Shippo looked at me, cocking his head. I probably had a crazy expression on my face. Smiling at him, I picked him up and snuggled with him. It felt good to have someone on my side again. Poor Shippo. He was pretty shaken up about the whole ordeal, but he was holding strong, and he seemed really happy that I "adopted" him. Without warning my mind wanders back to Inuyasha. Darn him! Why is he doing this me? A part of me longs to see him again, the other half…let's just say it's not pleasant. ~I hate you Inuyasha!~

~*~*~*~*INU POV*~*~*~*~

It has been a while since I've seen Raven. Wow! I'm surprised I called her by her name. She probably went and got herself killed by now, not that I care… Whoa! Who am I kidding! I miss her to bits. Yeah, that's right. Big, strong, tough Inuyasha misses a little weak human. I'll get ridiculed for sure! How is she doing this to me? She's making me feel bad, and she's not even here!

"It's not my fault she's upset!" I reason to myself, as I pace back in forth. Man! I've already worn a hole in the ground. I sigh. But if I go back and say sorry, it'll be like I was wrong! `But you where' Damn my conscience! It seems to be getting the better of me these days.

"I'm loosing it!" I moan. "But she'll come groveling back to me, soon." Yeah, I've been saying that for more than a week now. It's either I go or she comes. And believe me, it's not going to be the first one! No way!

~*~*~*~*Normal POV*~*~*~*~

Shippo seemed to be enjoying his new home, and Raven was glad, he kept her mind off of Inuyasha. Somewhat. Even if what she was doing didn't concern him, he always seem to wriggle into her thoughts somehow. It's been like that since forever. Sometimes Raven wanted to go and apologize, and make everything alright, the other part is stubborn, saying if Inuyasha is a man, he'll come and apologize. She guessed Inuyasha was thinking the same thing, well, only the first part. No way he was thinking about Raven like that. She sighed, getting pulled back to Earth by Mr. Aru who was telling her to help him bake the bread.

* * *

Raven came back home to be greeted by four people, not two. Kaede and Shippo were there as usual, but so were Miroku and another girl whom she had never seen the likes of before.

She wore a long dress and her hair was pulled into a low ponytail, her eyes were deep brown and she wore pink eye shadow. The girl seemed regular in everyway…except for the gigantic boomerang that she held on her back.

"Raven, this is my friend, Sango!" Miroku explained. "I thought you'll like to make a new girlfriend. Do you mind if she stays here for the day until I come back from work to pick her up? I got a lot of houses to exorcise today!" Raven smiled warmly at Sango who returned the deed.

"No of course not!" Miroku bowed himself from the house, and Kaede mumbled something about needing to pick some more herbs, and needing Shippo to help her. He reluctantly agreed. Now the house was empty.

"So, Sango, what do you want to do?"

"Talk." Raven settled herself next to Sango, who set her boomerang beside her.

"OK, about what?"

"Inuyasha." Her eyes widened in surprise. Had Miroku told her? How could he do something like that? Raven grew slightly angry.

"Why?"

"Miroku said you've been having guy trouble?" Sango said calmly. She had no idea how this made Raven feel. Her secrets being exposed to yet another! Oh well, maybe Sango could help, as long as she didn't suggest she go apologize!

~*~*~*~*SAN POV*~*~*~*~

Poor girl. She's really had it rough. First amnesia, now this! I nod my head and listen intently as she tells me everything about Inuyasha. She seems to like him a lot, but judging by what she says about him, he's not the nicest of guys. I don't want to tell her to forget about him, because I know that'll break her fragile heart.

"I think you'll just have to wait, until he comes back to you. Why should you have to apologize if you didn't do anything wrong?" I say, patting her only the shoulder. "Until then, try not to think about him." She starts to sniffle a little bit. Oh no! I've said the wrong thing. "Oh, I'm sorry!"

"It's not you!" she sobs. "It's me! No matter what, I can't stop thinking about him!" Her shoulders shake and I wrap her in a hug, hoping that she'll be OK. I feel another pang of sympathy for her. Looking for love in all the wrong places…[Ha ha! Got that from the Eggo commercial. You know, where the girl hides the box in the broccoli bag! Don't mind me, I'm weird!]

"You must be in love." She stops crying at once, and her expression becomes bitter. I tense, hoping that she won't jump on me.

"How could I be in love with that baka! I've only known him for a few weeks!" she explains, her expression softening a little once she sees how scared my face looks. Phew! That was close, she was looking really scary there for a second!

"Fine, you like him a lot."

"You know that sounds weird. I've being trying to deny it for the longest time, and now that someone else has finally said it…" I smile meekly at her again. "Besides, he probably doesn't like me in that way…"

"Oh, I'm sure he does!" I coo, hoping that she won't break down again. I feel really attached to her, even though I've only known her for a few hours. Kaede, Shippo, and Miroku really seem attached, too. And from what's she's told me, so does Inuyasha. I guess she does that to people, she grows on you.

We discuss Inuyasha for a long time afterward, and Raven finally seems better. She's determined to think about other things until he apologizes to her, which is good. If he really wants her back, and I am sure that he does, then he should come for her any day now. And I say that with confidence!

Darkness is now covering the light of the sky, and Kaede and Shippo have only just returned. Miroku probably is still working, poor guy. But maybe that means I'll be able to sleep over! That would be fun. I think she's my best friend now, no one has ever reacted to me like she does. Raven listens intently just when you need her to, she hugs you when you're sad, she cracks funny jokes in the darkness of things, she's just a bright ray of sunshine. If only Inuyasha could see that as clearly as I do, without being so arrogant, I'm sure they could have a wonderful relationship, regardless if he's a hanyou or not.

~*~*~*~*RAVE POV*~*~*~*~

Sango left early in the morning with a sleepy Miroku. I feel loads better than I have in a while and I'm actually smiling a lot more. Shippo seems happy with my change and is a lot happier, too. Even Kaede seems happy with my change. I stop myself when I think of Inuyasha again, and I enjoy the springtime days with no work.

In the afternoon, I happily pick some flowers and braid them in a wreathe for my hair. It smells so beautiful and my heart feels really light. I haven't a care in the world, now. No grumpy hanyou, no stuffy hut… I get up from the ground, and brush myself off.

At of the sudden, I feel a very strong presence. I whip around, on-looking, a little frightened. Trees start timbering[timbering…hmm…I made that word up! It means that the trees are falling!] in my wake. I try to scramble away, but before I can escape, a giant tornado twirls before me and someone emerges…

He is about Inuyasha's height with long black hair in a ponytail, and blue eyes. He's wearing a head band and some furry kind of clothes. Before I can whimper, he grins at me.

"What's your name?" he asks kindly, not at all what I imagined.

"R-R-Raven," I mumble, looking for a way to escape.

"My name's Kouga. What is a beautiful maiden like you doing out here all alone?" I blush, surprised by his kind words.

"Just picking flowers, enjoying the day," I tell him, relaxing a little. He seems to notice and smiles at me again. He's not at all like Inuyasha, he's polite.

Suddenly wolves howl in the background, and he turns around. I notice a that he has a t-tail! It's a cute tail, I'll tell you that, but even so, it scares me.

"A-a-are you a demon?" I inquire, taking retreating steps from him, but he still advances me.

"Of course. A wolf demon." Now I notice his fangs. Why didn't I notice it before? And plus, who knows a human how disappears and reappears in tornadoes! Sometimes I am so dumb!

~*~*~*~*KOU POV*~*~*~*~

Hmm…I really like this Raven girl. She's very beautiful and smells nice. She is a potential mate, but I have to put her up to a test, first.

Before she can protest, I pick her up, sling her over my back, and start to sprint back to my pack. She won't stop screaming, and it's really hurting my ears. Soon we arrive at my den, and everyone perks up. Ginta and Hakkaku run up and greet me happily.

"Who's the girl?" Ginta asks. I sigh and tell them I'll be "out." Being the pack leader, no one objects. Ha! I just ~love~ the power. Raven won't stop pounding and yelling at me to let her go. I ignore her and grin as we make it to a waterfall. She stops screeching and I set her down.

"It's beautiful," she tells me. I can't stop beaming at her.

"I know, just like you!" She blushes and turns her back towards me. I think it's cute when she does that.

"T-thank you," she mumbles. "Where are we?"

"In my pack territory," I answer, and sit next to her on the grass. The sun is filtering through the treetops and shines down on her hair. To me she looks like an angel. "Would you like to take a walk?" Raven smiles at me and I take her hand. She recoils slightly, but I refuse to let her go. Why is she so shy? Is it because I'm a demon?

"Are you afraid of me?" I ask as we leave the waterfall, and progress to the mountainside. She quickly shakes her head, but I can tell by her scent she is hiding something. A little probing will get rid of that!

"I'm not, it's just that…this is all really overwhelming. I feel like I've been kidnapped." Her smile falters a bit.

"I'm sorry!" I cry, hoping that she won't turn me down.

"It's OK, you're very nice." Her scent softens a bit. Wow! Raven forgives really easily.

As we walk along my territory, it seems as if we talk for hours. She's really open and I feel that I am falling for her FAST! Making a rash decision, I grab her hands, pull her up to me, and look deep into her eyes.

"Raven, will you be my mate?" I growl, putting on my best pleading face. I feel her tense and shock is washing over her.

"K-K-Kouga…Don't get me wrong. I really, really like you, but I'm kinda already spoken for…" She bits her lip and tries to look anywhere but my face.

"By who?" I feel my heart breaking into a thousand pieces. Raven is the only one I've ever cared for!

"Inu…yasha." Anger fills my eyes. I'll pierce his heart with my spear, and then Raven will be all mines!

~*~*~*~*RAVE POV*~*~*~*~

I know I'm blushing. What was I thinking? It's not like Inuyasha and I are…together. He still hasn't come back for me yet, maybe he really does hate me. I like Kouga as friend, but at least he's nice to me, and says I'm beautiful. Feeling guilty, I look back up at him, showing him that I'm sorry, but he's not looking at me. A weird, crooked smile is taking over his features.

"Kouga, I'm sorry."

"No matter. Once I see that Inutrasha guy, I'll kill him and I won't have any more competition!"

"No, Kouga!" I moan, loosening my grip, tears filling my eyes. "Please!" He not listening at the moment, and that grin seems to be getting wider. ~Inuyasha!~ I think desperately. ~Please don't come for me, whatever you do!~

~*And thus ends the sixth chapter. How was it? Wonderful. Good. OK. Bad. Horrible? Please review. I've still got a few notes on the story. Raven's past will be revealed a few chapters later, but I'll post up warnings, since some of my chapters get pretty violent. * cackles evilly * I am going to put in another character, and its name starts with an "A." Guess who! Oh, and by the way, this is a Inu/Kag romance story, so please don't worry! I think that's all! Stay tuned for the seventh chapter!*~