InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Dawn of Love ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

With the coming of dawn, Sesshoumaru could feel Nanashi's mind begin to stir. Fear and anxiety were still a large portion of the activity, but curiosity was there, as well as a small portion of contentment. He allowed her to wake slowly, watching the memories of two nights before play through her mind. He felt the man groping her, watched as he was flung violently across the room, felt the beating and her resolve to leave. He watched as his memories of her were incorporated into her memory of the attack he witnessed and their meeting. Her eyes opened to see him watching her. She glanced toward his hand, still on her temple, and reached up to touch him as well. He allowed her to make contact and was surprised to feel her mind move within his. She had the touch of a beginner, strength without grace. He allowed her access to simple memories about his training with Subaru and his memory of what happened after she passed out. This caused her to squirm with embarrassment and shame.

"No shame, Nanashi, never shame," he spoke aloud gently. Slowly, he withdrew his mind from hers, and with less grace, hers left his. "It is time to eat, Nanashi. Let's get you something to wear other than a blanket." He already knew that clothing had be left for her, a simple upper garment of sky blue silk and a natural colored hemp skirt. Nanashi's fingers lingered on the silk as she dressed, enjoying the smooth feel of it under her fingers. Sesshoumaru then led her to the dining room, where Subaru joined them.

Nanashi was hard pressed not to stare at Subaru. About Nanashi's own height, Subaru had a muddy complexion with blue black hair cascading down her back. Her ears stood out from her head and were rounded. Subaru's hands were thin with long fingers that ended in sharp nails. Nanashi felt as though she had looked too long and blushed, bowing her head in apology.

"Good morning, Nanashi, did you sleep well?" Subaru asked, her voice low and melodic. The girl, still embarrassed, only nodded. "You are permitted to speak, Nanashi, you will come to no harm here," Subaru's voice filled with compassion and, when Nanashi peeked, a small smile graced her face.

"Yes, Subaru-sensei, I did sleep well. Thank you," Nanashi answered, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Come, child, you need to eat."

Only then did she become aware of the rich aroma of baked fish and rice. Suddenly, her body recalled its need for food and she felt light headed. Sesshoumaru was instantly by her side, helping her to sit down and prepared a plate for her. She began to eat with such voracity that he was astounded. "Slow down, Nanashi, I don't want you to get sick. See, there is plenty of food and you can have as much as you like."

Nanashi paused, fingers half-way to her mouth, and looked at him in astonishment. She looked at Subaru, who nodded, and back to Sesshoumaru, who allowed a gentle smile to cross his face. To everyone's confusion, Nanashi began to weep uncontrollably. Sobs racked her thin form so violently that Sesshoumaru worried she might shake apart. Gently, he took the food out of her hand and gathered the trembling girl into his lap. He held her, rocking and murmuring reassurances into her hair, until her tears passed. He picked up a pair of sticks and began feeding her as he continued to hold her in his lap. Subaru watched in silence, hoping that Sesshoumaru would see Nanashi as a child to be protected, but knowing that he did not…hoping that Nanashi could return his affection, knowing the probably wouldn't, at least not in the way he felt it. She saw him as an angel, a gift of heaven, one to be worshipped, obeyed, but not loved. She worried about both of them wishing there was something she could do to spare them, but even her magic had limits. "Sesshoumaru, show Nanashi around today," she instructed. "I must leave today. Tomorrow, Nanashi, we will begin your training."

"Yes, Subaru-sensei," they answered in unison. Sesshoumaru looked at her curiously, knowing it was rare for Subaru to leave her personal domain. Her expression forbade any questions, however, and he returned his attention to Nanashi. She was still trembling, even though her tears had stopped. He worried about her, she seemed so frail now. He had seen her memories and wanted to keep her safe from anyone who would harm her. He wanted to make her forget the pain and free her from her fear. To himself, he swore never to cause her pain and to protect her from anyone else who might try.