InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel's Goodbye ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

-Angel's Goodbye-
 
She was late again. I wasn't surprised. She always seemed to lose track of time when she was out with Sango. I don't know why I was so worried. It had happened before and everything had been fine. So why did I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.
 
I looked up to see my mate enter our hut. She was as beautiful as ever, more so even. But something seemed wrong. I brushed the feeling off as my imagination and leaned down to kiss her gently on the lips.
 
“Kagome…” I smiled. “You're late.”
 
“I know. I'm sorry. There was an accident on the road.” She smiled as well, but there was a sadness in her eyes that I didn't understand.
 
“What's wrong?” I asked pulling back to look at her.
 
“Nothing's wrong. I'm fine.” She smiled again and this time it was obviously forced.
 
“Don't lie to me Kagome. I've known you long enough to know when something's not right.”
 
Her smile slowly faded as she looked toward the ground. “I'm sorry InuYasha.” She whispered. Her shoulders started shaking. She was crying.
 
I pulled her toward me and cupped her face in my hands, brushing away a few stray tears with my thumb. “Shh… it's alright. Tell me what's wrong.”
 
She only shook her head and buried her face into my chest. “I'm so sorry InuYasha. I'm sorry.” Sobs shook through her body and I held her close.
 
“Please Kagome… tell me what's going on. I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong.”
 
She pulled back and wiped the tears from her eyes. Once again she shook her head, a small, sad smile on her face. “InuYasha… I love you. You know that don't you?”
 
“Of course! You tell me so everyday.”
 
“And I always will love you. No matter what happens.”
 
“Kagome… What are you trying to tell me.” I shook my head in confusion.
 
“You're about to go through some hard times. But I know you can make it through them. You're the strongest person I know.”
 
“I don't understand… What're you…?” She silenced me with a gentle kiss and then pulled me into a warm embrace.
 
“I love you InuYasha. Remember that. I'll always love you.”
 
“I love you too.”
 
She pulled away and smiled sadly. She was beautiful. The light shone on her in such a way that I forgot for a moment that something was wrong and simply stared at my lovely mate.
 
“InuYasha!” My thoughts were interrupted by an urgent call from Miroku outside. “InuYasha!!”
 
I smiled at my Kagome one more time before turning to the door and looking out at a frantic monk.
 
“What's up, Miroku?”
 
He took a moment to catch his breath then looked up at me. His eyes filled with worry and sadness. “InuYasha… There's been an accident…”
 
It hit me then and there. Her being late, her sadness, her mention of hard times ahead. I didn't have to look behind me to know that my mate was no longer there.
 
At that moment I realized that Kagome, the love of my life, was gone forever. She'd come to me to tell me she loved me. It was an angel's goodbye.