InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Another Day ❯ trying to be ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kagome looked at herself in the mirror. It wasn't much, but it was a start. Baby steps right? Nothing happened all at one, she had to take it slow…Gawd, she was such a wimp…

She had only rolled up her skirt and inch or two above the knees and left her socks down by her ankles, like every other girl at school had done, she had been more different when she had worn everything at regulation length- skirt below the knees, socks up all the way…

Only girls with boyfriends dress like this, she thought, and pulled her skirt down and her socks up, and headed out with her school things.

_______trying to be______________

"Good morning, Kagome!" Her mom said cheerfully.

Kagome smiled weakly as she sat down at the table, "Morning Mom."

Her mom looked at her from the stove. "Sleep well? You don't sound too good."

"I'm all right. Just tired I guess"

"School gets tough around this time of year…entrance exams are coming up…" Her mom said, ladling out some soup into a bowl.

"I know, but that's not the problem…I think I'm just tired, I'll feel better soon." Kagome said, looking down.

"Here." Her mom handed her the bowl. "This'll make you feel better." Her mom beamed at her.

"Thanks Mom."

Kagome finished off the soup, grabbed her stuff and left for school.

Puddles were everywhere out on the street from the rain on Saturday.

`It didn't seem like it rained that hard on Saturday…doesn't matter…' she thought, staring at the ground.

Everything was so…dismal that day. The sky was overcast (Kagome brought her umbrella just in case it rained), the mood swing she was going through (anything other than perpetual perkiness and you were in a mood swing, right?), life in general…this was what the health book and Stages of Adolescence called normal for teenagers, "…depression is typical of the adolescent…". What she was experiencing was "typical".

Typical.

That was her life. Typical.

She'd go to school, study. Make a few acquaintances.

Go to college.

Get a job.

Get married have kids and then die.

All of this was "typical" because nearly everyone else was doing it. Even now, nearly every single person would follow that agenda. She would too, because she was as "typical" as any of them.

She was at the school gates now. Everyone was already heading in.

She stopped and looked at the school. A Normal factory, spewing out normal, typical people who would one day be called productive members of society. There was a time when she would have been happy to be considered normal, a member of a group, somebody that wasn't picked on for being a righteous goody-goody. But she didn't want to be part of a group that picked and prodded and stuck their noses up. She didn't want to be "typical" if it meant being shallow.

"You know what isn't typical…"

And she walked passed the gates of the school as the bell rang.

_________________________

"Kikyo…" Inu Yasha murmured as he turned in his sleep his arm dropping off from the couch. It knocked over a pile of cans, causing a crash.

"What the hell-?" Inu Yasha said, jolting into a sitting position. He looked around the room and saw a can rolling around.

"Oh…" he said, lying back down, his eyes closed. "Kikyo…she's going overseas….that's why I haven't seen her…that's why she broke up with me…right…she's just going overseas…that's why she isn't here…"

______________________

Long wait for a short chapter….apologies, all around.