InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Appetizers? On Me! ❯ The Loyal Servant ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

If you think you understand my relationship with Sesshomaru, I can tell you that you are mistaken. I regret to inform you that you've been operating under a gross misapprehension for quite some time now.
 
It's nothing to feel embarrassed over. Please, let me reassure you when I say that you are not alone. Like Sesshomaru himself, you probably assume that he is the one in control. Sesshomaru makes the decisions. Sesshomaru chooses our path. Sesshomaru has the power to restore life and bring death. It's almost laughable. Were I not so loyal a servant I would have abandoned His Royal Arrogance decades ago. But I am loyal, hence I have stayed, and I will explain why.
 
It hasn't been easy, I will admit. The presumptuous I put up with daily is nauseating. My task, however, is an important one, and well worth putting up with such things. It was bestowed upon me long before I ever met Sesshomaru and for that reason alone it is my burden to carry. Such is what it means to be loyal and I am the most loyal of servants.
 
But please, don't feel sorry for me. I have no need for your pity, nor do I want it. I am reassured by the knowledge that between the two of us, I am the one who holds the power. I am the one who controls our future and I am the one who has shaped him into the man he has become.
 
It was I who taught Sesshomaru how to care for someone other than himself. It was I who educated the fearsome Lord of the West on trivialities like love and compassion. I am the one who gave him the strength he needed to find his own path. I am the one who saved him from himself. It is because of me that he will succeed. Me.
 
But no one thinks of that when they think of us together do they? They think of me as nothing more than one of his possessions. I am nothing but a tool to be utilized on his path of conquest. I am just another thing he keeps at his side. But that's okay. Honestly, I don't mind, because at the end of the day I know that I am the one who made him what he is.
 
I am the one who gave him the power you `ooh' and `ahh' over. I am the one who gave him the compassionate heart that makes you sigh and tremble. How did I do it you ask? It was simple really. I forced him to save the life of one ningen girl. Who'd have thought changing a man could be so simple? Certainly not I. Certainly not anyone who knew Sesshomaru before that day. Just ask his brother. I'm sure he can tell you the extent of my master's cold hearted, ruthless nature in vivid detail. He wasn't named `The Killing Perfection' for nothing. But on that day, much against his will, I forced him to save that girl's life and it changed him forever.
 
There is no need to thank me. I don't expect any praise or words of adoration. I humbly ask that when you think of us and the relationship we share, Sesshomaru and I, you remember which of us is strongest and you never once, not even for a moment, forget that I, Tenseiga, hold the power.