InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Appetizers? On Me! ❯ Paper Lantern Indulgence ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Storyid: 4070441
FanFiction.net
Name: Appetizers- On Me!
Author:
Chapter: 13


Paper Lantern Indulgence

Kagome’s heart thrummed with excitement as they made their way down the crowded street. Kyoto’s annual Gion Matsuri festival was unlike anything she’d ever seen; noisy and colourful, with something to appease the eye or tantalize the senses waiting around every corner.

Inuyasha’s hand was warm around hers and his grip strong as they made their way through the dense throng of festival goers toward the bridge that lead into town. He left her there with a promise that he’d return shortly and wearing a knowing smile she watched his red haori disappear into the sea of kimonos.

Having nothing but time she lingered against the bridge’s railing and stared up at the vast night sky. The paper lanterns lining Kyoto’s streets had blotted out the stars entirely, but out here they illuminated the heavens. The view was breathtaking.

A sudden wind from the East brought with it the scent of blossoms and something unexpected.

“Onii-san! I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Sesshomaru glowered at the casual way she addressed him and made a show of resting his hand on the hilt of his blade.

“Miko.” He answered curtly before promptly diverting his attention to the festival. “Inuyasha is inside?”

Kagome nodded and a conspiratorial smile played across her lips.

“For someone who isn’t a people person, you picked a strange night to visit Kyoto...” she wondered aloud.

He didn’t actually move, but from where she stood his entire being appeared to sigh with exasperation. A sudden exuberant shout of “Sesshomaru-sama!” in the distance gave him away entirely.

Kagome glanced between the stoic demon and the young girl who’d mysteriously become his charge and stifled a giggle. Sesshomaru sent her a look that strongly suggested, on pain of death, that she keep this to herself.

She nodded, wearing an indulgent smile.

“Don’t worry Onii-san, your secret’s safe with me,” she promised, adding a playful wink.

His eyes narrowed and he muttered an audible ‘Hn’ before taking his leave with a jubilant and freshly kimono-ed Rin in tow.

Inuyasha returned, as promised, a short while later and greeted her with a soft kiss.

“Anything interesting happen while I was gone?”

She grinned at the memory of the ‘Killing Perfection’s’ reputation ruining secret, but decided that perhaps it was one she didn’t mind keeping.

Snuggling in close, she rested her head against his sturdy shoulder and answered,

“Nope, not a thing!”


Author's Note: Written for the dokuga_contest group on LJ. The theme for the week was 'Linger', to be covered in 400 words. This entry won first place! Huzzah!