InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ As Fate Would Have It ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 4
 
Kaede put her finger to her lips in a signal that Miroku and Sango should be quiet as they entered the hut. The young couple looked over at Kagome and the baby, not surprised that the miko had lain down on the floor next to the swaddled infant and fallen asleep.
 
Miroku settled himself on the floor, glancing over at the snoring Shippou curled up with Kirara in the corner. “It would seem that we should all get our rest,” he said softly, his gaze suddenly preoccupied with the dancing flames in the fire-pit. Sango looked up at him and nodded slightly.
 
“Yes,” she said in a hushed tone. “That would be a good idea.”
 
Kaede didn't even give the young couple a second glance as she turned and went into her own private sleeping section of the hut. “Sleep well, ye two,” she said as she disappeared around the corner.
 
Usually, the taijiya and the houshi slept separately in a hut, with the girls on one side of a screen and the boys on the other, Shippou excluded. But tonight Miroku planned to ask Sango to share blankets with him; chastely of course, since they had planned to wed once Naraku had been defeated. They had not yet talked about joining their lives since Naraku's defeat, but Miroku had high hopes.
 
Miroku arranged two pallets side by side as Sango lay a blanket over Kagome and the sleeping baby hanyou. When she turned back, she saw Miroku lying on one pallet, a blanket ready to drape over two people. “Sango,” he whispered as he held out his right hand, which no longer bore the Kazaana, “will you come and share your warmth with me?”
 
Sango had to beat down the familiar temptation to grab her Hiraikotsu and bonk the hentai over the head. How dare he ask her to sleep with him before they were married! And with Kaede, Kagome, and Shippou in the same room!
 
The familiar vein began throbbing in her forehead and she clenched a fist, ready to hit the poor monk. He recognized that look and quickly leaped forward on his knees, clasping her hands in his.
 
“Sango, koi ,” he murmured as he kissed her hands. “I had nothing lecherous in mind for tonight, I swear it. I only wanted my itoshii by my side, where she belongs.”
 
His words, his actions, and his sincerity were Sango's undoing. She too fell to her knees and looked into his grey-blue eyes. “M-miroku…” she stammered, completely at a loss of words, her face made even more beautiful by the blush in her cheeks. She had completely misread the situation and now felt horrible about her violent thoughts.
 
Miroku smiled and gently tugged Sango's hands, so that she lay on the double mats by his side. He reached over and without releasing her gaze pulled the blanket over their bodies. He laid his head by hers, their faces almost touching.
 
She watched him warily for a long time, as though expecting him to cop a feel or something, but he merely held her hands. Fatigue finally overtook her and she closed her eyes. Then, and only then, did Miroku close his eyes to sleep.
 
--------------------------
 
Outside, sitting in a tree and staring at the moon's reflection in the river, Inuyasha remained awake. So many thoughts and questions were going through his head and some of the answers scared him.
 
Kagome wants her, huh? Does that mean that she'd love a half-hanyou child just as much? As in…my child? He blushed furiously then shook his head vigorously as though trying to dislodge such an impure thought.
 
What about Kikyou? Would she have been like Kagome? Loving a hanyou child as though it were her own? His thoughts returned to when Kikyou asked him to become human. Was she afraid to have a baby with demon blood in it, no matter how little?
 
Then came the toughest questions, and he simply didn't have the answers. Why didn't she want me to stay as a hanyou, like Kagome does? Why did I have to make a choice at all with her, human or youkai? Why wasn't she happy with me as a hanyou? Was that even an option with her?
 
All night he had sat in the tree, stewing in his own troubled thoughts and conjectures. He was no closer to having any answers and was feeling even more disturbed. Maybe he should concentrate more on the baby's predicament than on his own. If they followed the man's trail back to his village by the waterfall, perhaps they could discover what really happened.
 
Inuyasha grinned at the river and cracked his hand. Maybe the youkai that killed that man and his wife has a jewel shard…
 
---------------------------
 
Kagome awoke to a pair of sapphire blue eyes staring at her intently. She blinked.
 
“Oh, good morning, little one!” she greeted the baby hanyou. She lifted the bundle into her lap and proceeded to unwrap her to change her diaper. “Did you sleep well after your big adventure yesterday?”
 
Kaede walked over and handed the refilled milk skin and another diaper cloth to Kagome. “How did ye sleep, child?”
 
Kagome smiled at the old woman as she took the offered items. “Arigatou, Kaede. I slept better than I thought I would.”
 
“Miroku and Sango are already up and outside, talking with Inuyasha,” Kaede said. “Apparently he came up with a quest for ye to go on.”
 
Kagome scooped up the freshly diapered baby and the milk skin and stood. “Well, first thing I'm gonna do is head back to my time and get some modern supplies for this little one.” She laughed. “No offense, but I'd trade these cloths for disposable diapers any day!”
 
Kaede just shook her head. She didn't understand the concept of “disposable diapers” but she was still respectful of things from Kagome's era. “Have ye come up with a name for her yet?”
 
Kagome smiled down at the eagerly feasting baby. “Minako.”
 
Beautiful child,” Kaede agreed. “Aye, that she is.”
 
Kagome nodded to Kaede and left the hut, Minako in her arms still nursing from the milk skin. She walked over to where it seemed Inuyasha and the others were in conference.
 
“So you want to follow the man's trail back and see if we can find the youkai that did that to him?” Sango asked, balancing her Hiraikotsu on her back.
 
“Yeah.” Inuyasha nodded, his hands folded inside the sleeves of his fire-rat haori. “We may be able to find the rest of the baby's family and who knows? The youkai that killed them might have a jewel shard.”
 
Kagome joined the group, that old familiar determined look on her face. “I agree,” she said with conviction. “We need to find out what happened to Minako's family.”
 
“Minako?” Sango turned to Kagome in surprise. “Oh! Is that what you named her?” The taijiya smiled down at the little hanyou, who in turn blew a milk bubble at her. “And such a beautiful child she is.”
 
“She is well-named, Kagome,” Miroku agreed. He too smiled down at the baby, a certain look of longing on his face. “Good choice.”
 
Kagome blushed as she wiped off Minako's mouth, and then put the baby up on her shoulder to burp her. “Arigatou,” she said softly. Inuyasha watched her intently as she patted the little girl's back.
 
Discomfited by his gaze, she looked at the ground, a blush still on her cheeks. “I'll be going back to my time first though,” she said quietly. “I need to get some baby essentials.”
 
“Baby…?” Sango asked, confused.
 
“…Essentials?” Miroku finished, just as confused. Kagome nodded as Minako let out a tiny burp. She lifted her down and settled her in her arms again.
 
“We have modern conveniences in my time like baby bottles, formula, diapers you throw away when they're soiled, and even things to carry the baby in so you don't have to worry about your hands being full all the time,” she said in a rush, still not looking at Inuyasha.
 
“Well, then by all means,” Miroku agreed, “go and get these `essentials' and then we'll be on our way.”
 
Kagome nodded then finally turned to Inuyasha, who was still watching her with that unwavering golden gaze. “Inuyasha? Will you come with me and help me carry the stuff back?”
 
“Keh,” he said as he crossed his arms and turned away in seeming indifference. “I suppose I'll have to.”
 
“Arigatou, Inuyasha,” Kagome said, bowing slightly. Then she turned and led the way to the well with Sango and Miroku behind her. Inuyasha followed at the rear.
 
“Kagome!” Shippou yelled as he flew out of the vegetation near the well. He came up running, slowing only to jump on Miroku's shoulder. “Are you taking the baby back to your time?”
 
“Yes, Shippou,” she replied with a smile. “We'll be back hopefully in a few hours. Would you like me to bring you anything?”
 
“Ninja food!” Shippou and Inuyasha said at the same time. The two turned and glared at each other, growling in their throats.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Inuyasha,” she said in exasperation, “you are coming with me, remember?”
 
Inuyasha blinked, and then walked up to the well, his face pink. “Well, I still want ramen…” he muttered. He jumped into the well and there was a glow of pink light.
 
Kagome sat on the edge of the well with Minako in her arms. “I'm taking her with me so that I can get her the right size diapers and clothes,” she explained as she swung her legs over. The young couple nodded and Shippou waved.
 
“Come back soon, Kagome!” he called from his perch on Miroku's shoulder. She smiled and turned back toward the well then pushed off from the edge into the blackness within. The familiar glow of pink light engulfed her and she was gone.