InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bacchanalia ❯ I Miss You ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Authors Notes: Sorry about the lack of updates, I’ve been lazy, and blocked and frustrated with this fic. Just one more chapter and you’re caught up to Media miner. Then you can all wait together. (I would say lol just kidding, but we know it really is going to happen.)

--------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------

"Kagome!"

Inuyasha cursed, making his way through the forest while looking for his wayward wife. She'd been gone over an hour now, after he'd finished packing he'd gone downstairs, sent the messenger ahead and written a letter to Miroku to come and visit Kagome while he was away. He knew the other man worked for Jameson as well, his wife had been correct about that, but he couldn't have admitted it to her or anyone.

And just as he'd been planning on leaving in the morning, Delaney knocked on his door and informed him that his wife had gone missing.

"She's what?!"

Delaney kept a cool expression despite his shout, "I'm afraid the duchess went in search of Samuel, young Jeremy's brother, after frightening the lad off. Thinking she would be back soon enough, I returned to the house and was speaking to Mackie about the events at the fair until a few moments ago."

"How long has it been?" Inuyasha interrupted.

"Well that's the thing sir, Luke arrived moments ago, saying his brother Sam had arrived home twenty minutes earlier and was safely tucked in." Delaney gulped, "I'm afraid I hardly noticed the sun's setting, but if my calculations are correct, which naturally they are, the young lady has been gone nearly an hour now, at least a good forty minutes."

Inuyasha looked out the window then, seeing that the sun had completely set and the darkness outside, "You're saying my wife has been out there for nearly and hour and you just now thought to inform me?"

"Truly your grace, any sensible person would have returned to..."

"To the house, yes, if that sensible person knew their way around the estate," Inuyasha shook his head, "My wife has been here but a fortnight, she has only ever been out on horseback, with me, and when have you seen us out at night? Even our first evening here we did not enter the forest."

Delaney paled, "I've sent out Jeremy and Luke, Mackie went out with them as well, he says he has a good sense of direction so he shouldn't get lost."

"I'll find her myself," Inuyasha strode out of the room, "We still have a lot to talk about, that woman and I."

"I'm ever so sorry about not telling you sooner your grace," Delaney followed.

Inuyasha nodded, "Don't worry about it Del, if she catches a cold it will only help in my attempts to keep her here."

And now here he was, out in the dark forest, calling her name and praying she was all right. He'd taken the longer path than Luke and Jeremy but something told him she'd be far from the house. Suddenly he heard her, she was talking and by the sounds of it, to someone who was losing their lunch.

"Are you feeling better now? My word, I never would have thought a man could get so very sick."

Inuyasha stopped when she came into view and watched with a frown as his wife helped an unknown man move away from the bushes he'd been puking in. She was very careful with him, holding him steady by his arm while leading him over to another tree nearby. Sitting down with her back against it, she gave a large sigh and smoothed the man's hair away from his eyes when he lay his head in her lap.

[Who the hell is this guy?!]

"Here you are!"

Inuyasha marched forward, stopping a few feet away from them, glaring at the man that immediately shot up off his wife's legs.

"What the hell is the meaning of this Kagome?!"

"You didn't go!" Kagome leapt to her feet and threw her arms around his neck, "I was so afraid you'd leave without saying good bye to me!"

"Damnit I'm leaving in the morning!" Inuyasha removed her arms and held them tightly while glaring in her eyes. "What is the meaning of this little scene? Who is that man and why the hell were you holding him?"

"You're hurting me!" Kagome pressed her hands to his chest to push him away, "Please Inuyasha let me go, its just Hojo! He's an old friend!"

"Who?" Inuyasha released her arms, ignoring the flash of guilt when she rubbed the spots where he'd held them.

"Your grace we can explain, its not what you are thinking," the man stood, although a bit uncertainly, "Allow me to present myself, my name is Hojo Ellington, I grew up with Kagome in Birkstead."

Kagome nodded, "Hojo lived on the opposite side of town but we used to play together as children. He gave me a horrible scare a few minutes ago, I was staring at the cavern when I heard him moaning and thought it was the madman's ghost come to get me."

"I'm afraid I had a few drinks too many and was losing my dinner here when Kagome came upon me," Hojo sighed, "I grabbed onto her arm to steady myself when she suddenly scared the daylights out of me with her scream, and then we both fell when she fainted."

"You fainted?!" Inuyasha checked her over, noticing the grass stains on her light blue dress then, as well as a bruise forming on her arm.

Kagome blushed, "I'm not prone to fainting, but that cavern is just so frightening, and his hands were cold and my fear overwhelmed me."

Inuyasha pulled her close, ignoring the man watching while he closed his eyes and felt her snuggle into his arms. He wouldn't admit it to just anyone, but he'd been worried sick about the girl in his arms. Finding her sitting with another man had not been the ideal reunion he could have asked for. In fact, he still didn't like the guy, there was just something about him.

"I was already scared, being out here all alone and then I realized Sam had left and I was lost," Kagome shivered, "I'm sorry I was such a nag earlier, I don't want you to leave and still be angry with me."

"We'll talk about that at home," Inuyasha whispered, looking up to the man standing a few feet away. He'd had the decency to move away and give them some privacy, but he seemed to feel Inuyasha's gaze on him and turned then.

"Well it was a pleasure to meet you your grace, I must say I hardly expected to come this far off my lands," Ellington sighed, "I'm afraid I've had a few cups too many, if you and your lady will excuse me I shall be going now."

"Are you the mysterious new neighbor?" Kagome turned in her husband's arms.

He raised an eyebrow at that, "Mysterious is it? That's an interesting way to put it. But yes, I am your new neighbor, what a surprise to find ourselves so very close once again Kagome."

"Indeed," Inuyasha remarked, "You have been living here for a few months I hear."

Hojo nodded, "I've been here about half a year now, it is always nice to be out in the country."

"But why so alone Hojo? After you left Birkstead we hardly heard from you, the last I knew was that you'd gone to Spain some four years ago," Kagome watched her friend's shoulders slump a bit. He looked up at Kagome with an expression that bordered on haunted and longing, an expression that did not bode well with her husband.

"Perhaps later I will explain things to you," he raised a hand in their direction, "I really must be off now, I am sorry for the fright I gave you Kagome, thank you for helping me."

"Take care on your way back!" She watched the man stumble off and shook her head. Inuyasha smirked at his swaying.

[Bumbling idiot, no wonder she was helping him stand. He can barey place one foot in front of the other.]

His wife shivering in his arms snapped him out of his thoughts and he sighed, removing his coat and wrapping it around her shoulders. He held its lapels while placing a kiss to her forhead, nose, and lips. She gripped his shirt and raised herself on her tip-toes, returning his kiss eagerly. They would have remained there longer had the wind not picked up then, a strange cold surrounding them.

Breaking off the kiss, Kagome lay hear head against his chest and stared blankly towards the cavern, lost in her thoughts for a moment. Suddenly a vision flashed across her eyes, a woman stood at the cavern entrance, pale as death with her long black hair falling around her. Before she could get a good look at the woman she was gone, and Kagome found herself in her husbands arms, being scolded while he carried her home.

"Inuyasha?"

"Yes?"

"Did you see anything just now?" Kagome asked quietly, arms wrapping around his neck.

"I can hardly see where I'm going love, much less any specific thing," Inuyasha informed her, "You're lucky I know my way around. Mackie and the others were very worried when I left the house."

"I'm sorry about that, I never meant to get lost," Kagome sighed, "Its a long way back Inu, why don't you set me down?"

Silently he did so, allowing her to take his hand while they walked together. Kagome knew he was upset, about what she wasn't exactly sure, he knew she hadn't meant to get lost in the forest, so was he still angry about earlier? Not that she could blame him, it had been a pretty good row - she'd even turned him down when he'd tried to make love to her.

But no, Inuyasha was thinking about the sight of her sitting with Hojo in the forest. They'd looked too comfortable together, too close, he did not like it. Of course, the thought of leaving her at home for two weeks, while her old friend resided only a few hundred yards away was not helping his mood. He trusted her, in the time they'd spent together he'd seen how very young and naive she was, but he did not like the looks of the young man. He'd looked at Kagome in a way that made Inuyasha want to knock his lights out.

------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

"Your grace? Where would you like the towels to be set?"

Delaney's voice reached Inuyasha, who lay staring at the fire in his room. He'd left Kagome in the care of Mrs. Harrow and Janette and ordered for a bath to be taken up to his room, locking himself in his office until it was ready. He hadn't seen Kagome but Delaney informed him that she was in the kitchen with Mackie and the ladies.

Without looking over his shoulder, Inuyasha shrugged and waved his hand absently. "The bed's fine Delaney, have my dinner brought up will you? I'm quite tired, if my wife asks, let her know I'll be retiring early."

"Yes sir," Delaney's footsteps crossed over to the bed, Inuyasha heard him set the towels there and then his steps retreated and the door clicked shut.

With a heavy sigh, Inuyasha bent forward and scooped some water into his hands, rinsing his hair out a couple of times. With the splashing sound made by the water and the crackling of the fire, he didn't hear the movements beside him until he felt a pair of hands gently massaging his neck. Closing his eyes in bliss, he groaned when they focused on a particularly tense spot and crossed his arms over his knees, resting his cheek on them.

The small hands continued in their soothing motions, easing a lot of the tension in his back as well. Then they were going down further and slipping around him, moving forward to hold him close as a pair of lips were pressed into his bare shoulder. Giving a smile despite himself, Inuyasha opened his eyes and raised his head, heart warming at the sight of his wife beside the tub. She'd brought a tray of food, he could see it behind her on the bed stand, but the best thing was her outfit.

She wore a pink silk nightgown, relatively short as it fell only to her knees, but the cut enhanced her shapely curves and the neckline was daringly low. Madame DeLoncre struck again, he'd have to give the woman a bonus sometime. Kagome's hair remained pinned atop her head but a few locks had slipped free and fell to her bare skin. She looked small and yet daring and extremely sexy kneeling there, her arms still holding him.

She must have seen approval in his eyes because she leaned forward then and kissed him. Placing small kisses to his lips, jaw, and neck, she nipped his adam's apple and he shivered from the touch. Then she was pulling back a little and speaking.

"I know you're still upset about something Inu, but won't you forget about it tonight? Push whatever ails you away from your thoughts for a little? You'll be leaving in the morning and we've only just begun our married life, could you not forget that we were angry and spend some time with me? Please?"

Tears swam in her eyes and he groaned again, turning in her arms to grab hold of her hips and lifted her up and around, slowly bringing her into the tub with him. She gave a startled gasp, but it was cut off by his lips and he showed her what to do. She kneeled facing him, her lower body soaked and the material clinging to her. They ignored the water that splashed out of the tub and he cupped some in his hands and poured it over her shoulders.

He could see her excitement grow as the rest of the nightgown molded to her chest and aching for more, he drew her closer. Their bodies pressed together in the small tub and he licked at the droplets at the base of her neck. As his hands skimmed over her body, luxuriating in the feel of wet silk and skin, hers roamed between them, exploring his chest and abs. When suddenly she pinched his nipple and raked her nails down his chest, he repaid her with a bite to her neck.

She yelped, he soothed her with a lick and let out his breath in a hiss of air when her hand lowered and closed around him. Gripping the sides of the tub, Inuyasha moaned, tossed his head back and quivered beneath her touch. He'd taught her what to do on their first night and she'd leaned quite a bit more since then, soon he was putty in her hands.

She teased and toyed until he was mindless in his need, then suddenly she was gone, standing above him dripping water into the tub. Opening glazed eyes and looking up at her, Inuyasha's breath caught in his throat at the sight. The material clung and had been made transparent by the water. One of the straps had fallen down her arm and only half her chest was covered, she looked wicked and wanton and she was stepping out of the tub, saying something that didn't really register.

Jumping to his feet, he crushed her against him, devouring her lips with his. She hardly seemed to mind, her arms coming around his shoulders, her legs lifting around his hips. He sank back down into the tub but this time moving so she lay beneath him. Once in the water, he continued his kiss as he joined her. She moaned into his mouth, her legs coming off from around him to the edge of the tub.

They moved together, his hands holding to the bottom of the tub her while her feet did the same at his back. The water sloshed around them, swirled between them, helped bring their passion higher. They were oblivious of the fire, the splashing on the floor, locked together in their movements. And then finally, it was over, calling out each others name, they spiraled down together, resting cheek to cheek.

"My god Kagome, that was..."

"It was?"

"Incredible," Inuyasha leaned back, keeping her in his arms and pressing gentle kisses to her lips. Again he thought of his impending trip and cursed Jameson for making him leave his wife.

Untangling themselves, they climbed out of the tub and dried off using the towels Delaney had brought. Kagome removed her nightgown and tossed it into the tub, while Inuyasha moved the dinner tray over to a small table beside the settee near the fireplace. Before she could wrap the towel around herself, he sneaked up on her and yanked it from her hands, tossing it into the tub with her gown and sweeping her off her feet.

"Inu! What are you doing?!"

"You're right, if I'm going to be away for two weeks I'm going to make good of this time with you before I go," Inuyasha grinned, kissed her again and sat on the settee, stretching them both out across it. They lay together, warmed by the fire and feeding each other the food specially prepared by Mackie for them. It was well into the night when he finally carried his exhausted wife to the bed. Curling around her warmth, he heard her whisper his name and she burrowed closer in his hold, seeking him out as if he were already gone.

"It's all right, I'm right here love," kissing her temple, he finally closed his eyes and joined her in sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

"Take care your grace," Delaney stood outside with Mrs. Harrow, Mackie and Janette.

Inuyasha nodded and gave them a smile, checking the saddle in an attempt to avoid the inevitable good bye from Kagome. She stood a little behind him, her hands wringing a handkerchief between them. Finally when there was nothing left to check on the horse, he turned and saw her shoulders slumped, chin trembling lightly in her attempt to be brave and suck in her tears.

With a sigh, he came forward and wrapped her tightly in his arms again. She clung to him, burying her face into his neck. Resting his cheek on her hair, he rocked her a little bit, surprised when she spoke suddenly.

"I have a bad feeling about this Inu," she whispered so only he could hear, "You shouldn't go."

"I have to leave, we've been through this Kagome, lets not fight again." Kissing her hair, he looked down into her solemn features and forced a smile to his own. "Its not the end of the world love, only a fortnight at most, probably just a week."

"You're right, I don't want to part badly," Kagome agreed, lifting her eyes to his with an equally forced smile, "Have a safe trip and come back soon all right?"

"I promise I'll be back as soon as I can," lowering his head to hers for a kiss, they somehow managed to keep it short but sweet, and in the next moment he was in the saddle and on his way.

Kagome sighed, watching until his silhouette faded from view. A soft touch on her shoulder snapped her from her dreary thoughts and she looked up to see Mackie smiling warmly at her. "He'll be home sooner than you imagine missy, bucker up."

"I suppose," Kagome shrugged, allowing him to lead her back inside. She would write to Sango and see how her friend was doing in Bath. Oh dear, she had some explaining to do, Sango would want to know more details about her wedding. She'd hardly remembered with her husband there to distract her - she missed him already.

To her surprise, at precisely three in the afternoon a young gentleman came calling and she was glad to see it was Hojo, feeling better after a good night's rest.

"I figured that since your husband was gone, you might need some entertaining," Hojo grinned and led her outside, ignoring the suspicious look Delaney gave him.

Kagome followed, surprised to learn he'd walked from his house, it was after all, pretty far. They strolled along the horse trail that led to the church while they talked. "I love the exercise though, its good to be outdoors."

He sounded so very solemn and sad, she pictured him as last she'd seen him, at the age of eighteen, filled with high hopes and dreams. He'd always been so optimistic and full of good cheer. It was rather startling to see him so gloomy now.

"Whatever happened to the carefree boy I knew?" Kagome wondered aloud.

"He grew into a foolish young man," Hojo explained, "But I will not elaborate on that for the time being. How about you tell me how you managed to wrangle yourself the devilish duke? The man was highly sought after for years, even when he was married."

Kagome stopped cold in her tracks, "Married?"

Hojo froze, inwardly cursing himself for his loose tongue, "He hasn't told you then? Well of course not, what man would want to scare his new wife like that."

"What are you talking about? Scare me? With what?" Kagome demanded, "Inuyasha has not been married. I would have heard about it, even before we were married the gossip never ended."

"And did you never hear of the 'unfortunate incident' as they call it in the ton?" Hojo asked.

Remembering a couple of matrons who'd mentioned something about an unfortunate incident, she nodded slowly, a frown marring her features. "Once, a pair of matrons mentioned that but they didn't elaborate."

"No one does, its been hushed up quite well," Hojo sighed, "But I would have sworn that he'd have the decency to tell whoever he married next."

Kagome stopped and leaned against a nearby tree to listen, "How do you know what happened?"

"Do you know of Naraku Osborne?" Hojo saw her nod and continued, "He's good friends with Drake, at least they were good friends until the whole Kikyo thing, but that's another story."

He noticed her bristle a bit at the name and wondered how much she knew about her husband's relationship with the woman. "Anyways, I was visiting at Naraku's home when Drake's ordeal happened and overheard the story being told by my cousin."

"You're Naraku's cousin?" Kagome gaped, "You look nothing alike."

"We aren't alike at all," Hojo agreed, "And yes, we're cousins, but we weren't discussing my relationship with him, rather your husband and his past relationship with another woman."

"Perhaps you shouldn't tell me," Kagome stopped him, "I'm sure he'll tell me when he feels the time is right. Perhaps it still hurts him to speak of it. She must have been very special if he married her."

Hojo scoffed, "Special? The woman was a bitch, she played the part of an innocent girl while sleeping with another man behind his back. On the night of their wedding she laughed at him, called him a fool, told him about her lover and that she'd married him to ensure her future, you see, she was pregnant."

Kagome gasped, already shocked by the rest of the tale, "She wasn't!"

"She was, in fact, three months along," Hojo shrugged, "He'd known her for five months, which meant she'd been sleeping with the other man even while he courted her."

"How horrible," Kagome sat down beneath the tree, tears welling in her eyes, "No wonder he hadn't told me, who would want to speak of something like that?"

After a moment in silence, she sighed and looked up to him, "Where is she now?"

"Dead," Hojo saw her flinch and realized how cold that sounded, "She passed away during labor, the child died with her and Inuyasha swore off the idea of marrying again. But then came the rumors that she hadn't died in childbirth, and that he'd killed her."

"He wouldn't!" Kagome jumped to her husband's defense, "Inuyasha would never hurt a soul!"

"Oh yes he would, he's been in more brawls than you can imagine. The man was in the army, he's traveled over the continent, through France, Normandy, Russia and even made it as far out as India at some point. He's known for his sword skills, taught to him by marauders and he was separated from his battalion for about six months, living with a caravan, out there with the savages." Hojo saw the shock in her eyes and smirked.

"My husband would never lay a hand on anyone, and you really shouldn't have told me any of that Hojo." Moving away from the tree, Kagome turned to go back towards the house, expecting him to follow, which he did.

"You wanted to know, and if there's one thing we've always had its honesty," he reminded her, "When have I ever lied to you?"

"Never," Kagome agreed, feeling incredibly drained suddenly, "Would you care to come over for some refreshments? I feel I must be heading home now."

"No I must go too," Hojo looked into his pocket watch and nodded, "I'd forgotten the time, I must meet my solicitor soon. Will you be all right heading back on your own?"

"Certainly, I can find my way," Kagome sighed and turned away, deeply troubled by the information he'd told her.

[Inuyasha was married before, to a woman who betrayed him.]

Imagining the anger and pain he must have been put through, she understood why he hadn't told her, but found the news upsetting just the same. [Would he have told me eventually?]

Upon reaching the house, she was surprised to find a message waited for her. It was a letter from Miroku, apologizing for not being able to come and keep her company. He wrote that her brother and Shippo had convinced her mom to go to Bath for a vacation and that he was accompanying them.

[Sounds like Shippo's in good hands]

She smiled, relieved that her mother had taken the boy in. He was so little and alone, she would have liked to see him again.

----------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

"How are you feeling this fine day m'lady?"

Kagome smiled, laughing at Hojo's silly mannerisms as he bowed deeply over her hand. He'd been visiting her on a nearly daily basis over the past weeks, serving as her main diversion while her husband was away. Delaney had stopped being suspicious of the young man when Mackie explained about knowing the boy since he was in the cradle.

"He's a harmless lad, just glad to see an old friend again," Mackie cuffed Delaney on the shoulder and challenged him to a game of chess.

The household was running smoothly as ever, Mrs. Harrow and Janette had their usual squabbles, Delaney and Mackie just rolled their eyes. The girls did their chores and were delighted when Kagome spent time chattering with them. And Kagome wrote to her mother, cousin and friends over in bath often. It had been a month since she'd last seen her husband, and when she wasn't being entertained by Hojo or one of the girls, she could be found worrying about where he might be.

A note had arrived after the first week, explaining that his business had not gone well and that he would be spending some extra time away. The letter showed no signs of warmth, no caring at all, simply gave a short explanation and was signed with a flourish that would have been on any letter written to a casual acquaintance.

Needing the companionship, Kagome often went on walks with Hojo, and gradually introduced him to their neighbors, explaining that while Inuyasha was in town, her dear friend had offered to be her escort. Being married and obviously very much in love with her husband, her neighbors accepted this and welcomed the young man into their homes, curious about the mysterious neighbor.

They were coming from a tea at Lady Tillsbury's one day, when a rider met them on the road. They were both surprised to see it was his cousin Naraku on his way to Hojo's for a visit.

"This is an unexpected surprise cousin," Hojo blurted out.

"Indeed, I was worried about your lack of progress," Naraku saw the man pale and the young lady frown. "It is good to see him with a friend, I have been worried that my dear cousin was still in mourning over Sophia's passing."

"Sophia?" Kagome looked to Hojo for an explanation, seeing the pain that came into his eyes.

He sighed and nodded, "Sophia was my wife, we were married in Spain and wed for three years."

Seeing he would say no more, Naraku finished the tale for him, "Sophia was an avid rider, quite the horsewoman, but one day her ride was stung by a wasp. The horse reared, Sophia had been reaching for an apple nearby and she was thrown."

Kagome's eyes watered, "Oh Hojo."

He took a deep breath and sighed, "She hit her head against the tree too hard, the blow only stunned her, but one of the horse's hooves kicked her in the neck, crushing it instantly."

"There was nothing you could do," Naraku said softly, surprised to see the girl reach over and take his hand.

"I'm so terribly sorry Hojo," Kagome felt him squeeze her hand and gave him a small smile.

He smiled back a little, "She was very good to me, always so sweet and kind. Actually, she reminded me of you a lot."

Kagome's eyes widened a bit, but she blushed and gave his hand a squeeze, still holding it while she turned to his cousin, "It is very kind of you to worry about him my lord."

Naraku looked carefully over this petite woman and wondered where they'd met. She seemed so familiar, and yet he couldn't quite place her. One thing was certain, she was very attractive, he saw she unconsciously moistened her lip and nearly shuddered at the sight.

"Kagome I think it best we get going," Hojo released her hand, "Would you care to come with me as I escort the duchess home Naraku, or will you ride ahead to the estate?"

"I would be pleased to escort the lady home," Naraku smiled, "Forgive my wayward cousin for his sudden loss of manners, I am Naraku Osborne."

"Kagome Drake," she saw his eyes widen and smiled, "Duchess of Wyvern."

"Inuyasha's wife! What a pleasure! I have known your husband for some time now," Naraku took up a place beside her and kept her entertained on the way to her home. Once they reached Waverly, Hojo dismounted quickly and eased her off her horse.

"I'm not sure if I'll be able to come calling tomorrow Kagome, but do try to keep your spirits up," he said with a smile.

"I'll do the best I can," Kagome mock sighed, "Abandoned again I see."

"Perhaps we could all go for a ride," Naraku offered, "I see no reason for you to leave the poor lady on her own because I am here."

"I would like that," handing her mare over to Guy, Kagome waved them away before heading up to the house.

"Your grace there is a letter for you," Delaney handed it to her with a wide smile at the door.

Her features instantly lit up, eyes shinning hopefully, "It's from Inuyasha?"

Tearing the envelope open, she eagerly scanned its contents, slumping into a large chair in the sitting room while she read. By the downcast look on her features, they could see it was not good news.

"Its so short," Kagome mumbled, "He writes that the men are still rebelling and won't agree to anything. He expects to be gone at least another two weeks."

When she frowned, Mackie took a seat beside her and read over her shoulder, "The lad has the gall to be angry with you?"

"Can you believe it?" Kagome looked up to his eyes, "He abandons me here for a month and has the gall to say that he's heard some troubling remarks about my visits with our neighbor. If he were here would box his ears Mackie."

"Aye, I can see how you'd do that," Mackie grinned, "Well, write him back and let him know that if he dislikes the man keeping you company, he'd best get back sooner and do the job himself."

"I wonder who told him these troubling remarks," Kagome sighed, setting the letter down on her lap.

------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

My dear husband:
It is good to hear from you once again, the five weeks with no word were
difficult to bear. I trust you are well, and that the problems will be resolved
soon. I am sorry if you have heard gossip about my visits with Hojo, we
did explain that we were old friends, and I must admit his company has
been a blessing. To be honest, I would prefer to spend my days with you
as we did before you were called away. It is difficult sleeping in that large
dark bed alone, even frightening at times, and dinners in the kitchen with
Mackie and the others are fun, but not as much as our dinners in the library
or garden. I understand, however, that you are needed there, but do take
care love, and endeavor to come home soon.

I miss you,

- Kagome


"She looked well?"

Inuyasha asked Hachi, serving as his messenger for the time being. He nodded, assuring him that her ladyship, indeed, looked quite well. "Delaney was pleased that you had written, the entire staff was getting quite irritated with you, neglecting your wife as you were."

"If they only knew the half of it," Inuyasha sighed, rubbing his red eyes. "What of Ellington?"

Hachi hesitated a moment but knew better than to keep quiet, "He was arriving as I left, from what I heard, they had plans to picnic at the ruins. It seems her ladyship has become quite fond of them."

Inuyasha nodded, "She found them charming, we went a few times while I was still there."

He felt re-assured by her letter, if weighed down by the fact that she obviously did miss him. He missed her too, dreadfully, but he knew he couldn't leave now. Hopefully he'd get Shazia to cooperate soon and then he could hurry home to his wife.

Realizing Hachi was troubled by something, he gave him a frown and watched him gulp, "There is one thing your grace, that seems to have come up rather recently."

"Which is..?"

"Well, the fact is," Hachi sighed, "It seems Lord Osborne is visiting his cousin and accompanying him on his visits."

"What does that have to do with anything?" Inuyasha asked.

Hachi frowned, "His cousin is Mister Ellington."

"Naraku is his cousin?" Inuyasha ran a tired hand through his hair, "Dear god, the man is visiting my wife."

"I must be honest my lord, the looks he was giving her were not those a man should give a married lady," Hachi admitted, "It would be best if you could finish this business as quickly as possible."

"Like I haven't been trying? Shazia is terrified, Rashid is somewhere in England and there is no way she will cooperate as long as he is loose. We must wait until Kouga can find him." Inuyasha sighed, "Speaking of whom, I promsed the girl we would talk over dinner tonight. Thank you Hachi, go rest now, it was a long trip."

"If you'll excuse me then," Hachi bowed out.

Re-reading his wife's letter, Inuyasha pulled out the handkerchief she'd been wringing in her hands from his pocket. Looking down at the slightly crooked initials, he smiled, remembering the many needle pricks she'd gotten while trying to embroider it for him. He could remember her laughter even now while he'd sucked a droplet of blood from her finger.

"Mama always tried to make me into a real lady, teaching me to sew and knit, but I'm afraid I never paid enough attention and she eventually tired of repeating herself. Still, I hope this will look fairly decent."

Her eyes had sparkled so prettily in the sunlight.

-sigh-

I miss you

[I miss you too love]

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

-

-

Not much of a cliffie, I'm afraid there wasn't really a chance for one this time - darn it.

Hehe - as a side note, Lady Tillsbury was inspired by a Pillsbury commercial I saw the day before writing this chapter LOL. sorry, that was just a random tid-bit I thought I'd share. She might make an appearance soon.

I love you guys!

See you next time!