InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bacchanalia ❯ Guests and Gouls ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

.-Guests and Gouls-.
------------------------------------------------------------- --

“M'am?”

A hesitant knock roused Kagome from her light slumber. After she'd finished crying, she'd moved into her bedroom and crawled into a large wingchair they'd placed in front of the fireplace. It was roomy enough for her to curl up and nap; a habit she'd gotten into while her husband was away. She'd turned down the dinner sent up and stayed in her seat, wondering vaguely what was going to happen now. The pain and fear from her earlier attacks were still too fresh, leaving her feeling muddled and lonely.
“Your grace?”
Rubbing sleep from her eyes, Kagome finally answered. “Yes?”

“There's a visitor asking for you downstairs, Mr. Mackie said you would probably like to see him.” Brit explained through the door.

Slipping out of the chair, Kagome stretched as she made her way over and opened it with a sigh. “Did the visitor happen to give his name?”

“It's one of those men, the strange ones that live at the old cottage.” Brit looked up at her mistress and her eyes widened for a moment before looked away. “Oh m'am, I'm so sorry, I'll let him know you're not feeling up for any visitors.”

“Why?” Kagome asked, stepping out into the hallway and stopping before a mirror a few steps from the door. She sucked in a breath at the sight of the ghastly purple mark on her face. It was already pretty dark and she knew it would only get worse before it went away. Turning from the mirror, she forced herself to smile and wave it off.

“It's nothing to worry about Brit, where did you say this visitor was?” Kagome asked the wide-eyed maid.

“At the door to the kitchens your grace,” Brit nodded towards the back staircase.
“Thank you,” Kagome turned and headed downstairs, wondering what could have brought Hiten out so late. Reaching the kitchen, she stood in the entryway and watched her servants interact with the shy young man. Mackie alone stood near him, all the others keeping their distance, including Delaney, Janette and Mrs. Harrow.

Suddenly annoyed with her staff, she ignored their gasps and stepped forward with a bright smile. “Hiten! Is everything all right? Is Manten with you?”

“Manten's at home, we were just worried about you after that…”

“Unfortunate incident?” Kagome interrupted “That's awfully sweet of you both, but I told you I would be fine.”

“Just wanted to make sure,” Hiten explained, frowning at the coloring on her face. “Did he do that?”

Kagome bit the inside of her cheek and nodded, not wanting the servants to know about her fight with Inuyasha. Of course they had probably realized things were amiss, with his storming out of her room and breaking things, but if she could keep them from learning about the real reason for her bruised cheek it would have to be enough.

“Really Hiten, I'm perfectly all right now that I've rested a bit, and I just want to forget all about that little contretemps.” Reaching forward to take his hand, she tried to tug him inside while ordering for some tea to be made.

“No, I can't stay; really, Manten was just so upset that I promised I'm come see how you were as soon as the storm ended.” Hiten resisted and stepped back onto the outer steps. “I'll just be going now.”

“Thank you for coming Hiten, it was very kind of you,” Kagome joined him on the step and closed the door behind them, tugging him down to sit for a moment.

“I wanted to say thank you again for coming earlier too,” she whispered. “No one here knows the truth and I'd rather keep it that way.”

“I understand, but what about that bruise?” Hiten nodded towards her cheek, “You didn't have any signs of a slap when you left. Did he follow you?”

“No,” Kagome shook her head, “You must have missed it Hiten, no one followed me home.”

(- Except for my husband. -)

After a moment of silent perusal, Hiten gave a nod and stood again. “I guess we won't be seeing you next week?”

“I don't think so, not for some time.” Shivering, Kagome stood and managed a smile. “I might send some things over though, probably with Mackie.”

“You really shouldn't bother; we can look out for ourselves well enough.” Hiten, who'd always been uncomfortable with her gifts, reminded her.

Kagome also stood and grabbed hold of the door knob, “I know.”

“Take care Miss Kagome,” Hiten urged, using the name his brother used for her when she visited. “If you need anything, just send us word and we'll be there.”

“Thank you, I will,” with a smile and a wave, she opened the door and slipped in out of the cold.

Seeing the curiosity in her servant's demeanors, Kagome raised her chin and straightened her back. “Brit, find Genny and have her help you make up my room.”

“Yes'm,” the young girl bobbed a quick curtsy, already turning to the stairs.

“Wait a second Brit, I want to make sure you get the correct room,” Kagome stopped her. “I am moving into the bedroom across the hall from my husband's.”

The servants blinked, but at the sight of her set expression, decided it better to comply. While the girl nodded and hurried away, Kagome ordered for a bedpan to be warmed and for a small pot of tea to be made.

“Missy…”

“Good Night Mackie!” Kagome interrupted before his interrogation could begin.

“You really expect me to let you go on with a mysterious shiner and not ask for an explanation?” Mackie stepped in her way, blocking her exit with his body.

“I expect you to respect my wishes and understand that I am tired and not up to this right now.” Kagome bit her lip and blinked against the sting in her eyes. “Please Mackie.”

Troubled by the vulnerable expression in her features, Mackie gave in with a sigh and moved out of her way. “First thing in the morning.”

“Of course,” with a nod, Kagome slipped past him and made her way upstairs again.

She reached her husband's room and helped the tired girls move her things. She was relieved that they worked silently, dreading that Inuyasha might appear at any moment. Once her things were settled in her room, she listened to the bell strike midnight and rubbed her eyes, noting how the girls smothered yawns while they stoked the fire and settled the bedpan under her mattress.

“Thank you for the help girls, and let Mrs. Harrow know that you've been given leave to sleep in tomorrow morning. I'm sorry to keep you up so late.” Sipping her tea, Kagome rubbed her throbbing cheek as she sat on a golden settee in a corner of the room. She excused the girls and lay back with a tired sigh.

(- This room is so different -)

Unlike her husband's darkened room, this new one was bright, cheerful, and decidedly feminine. The décor was done in warmer colors, light green, gold, and cream. She'd always thought it a lovely room, but it suddenly didn't look as pretty. She was going to miss the dark tones of the other chamber. She was going to miss the warmth of the other bed too.

Feeling tears come to her eyes again, she got up and slipped into her nightgown before climbing onto the big bed. The pan had warmed the sheets, and the comforter was thick and fluffy, but despite that she lay shivering with cold. It was long time before her weariness finally took over and dragged her into a fitful sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------- --

“My head!”

Inuyasha groaned and blinked against the light coming in through his windows. Someone was knocking on the door and calling his name. What could Delaney want that would make him interrupt him in his study?

Rubbing his tired eyes, he glanced over at the clock on his mantel and frowned. (- Noon already? What time did I fall asleep? -)

He shrugged his questions off and stood, groaning again at the cricks in his neck and body from his odd sleeping position. The sound of carriage wheels interrupted his musings and made him finally open the door. “What is it Delaney?”

“We have guests,” Kagome answered for the man, coming down the stairs in a soft gray muslin dress that did wonders for her figure, which he noticed slumped the tiniest bit. She straightened and came forward to greet their guests when the door opened, her voice light and friendly as she greeted his brother.

“What an unexpected surprise!” Kagome raised her hand for him to take and was aware of the flicker in his eyes when he saw her face.

There was a young woman by his side, holding the hand of a little boy, and her other one on the bump of her stomach. Behind the trio stood a rather short older man, presumably a servant, from the look of his clothes. Kagome ignored the woman's surprised gasp and greeted her as if nothing were wrong.

“Bienvenue! Vous est la Comptess D'Angers, oui?” Kagome kissed the woman's cheeks with a bright smile. “C'est un plaisier de faire votre connaisance enfin!”

Rin beamed at the warm welcome, “I told Sesshomaru you wouldn't be upset by our sudden arrival!”

“Not in the least,” Kagome agreed, “Things have been quite dull around here; in fact, it is a relief to have company.”

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at that but kept silent, noticing the way his brother kept glancing between his wife and him. (- What is bothering… damn. -)

While his wife greeted Sesshomaru's son, Takashi, and his brother's most loyal servant Jaken, Inuyasha was able to get a full view of her face. (- Oh god -)

A feeling of guilt swamped him as he inspected the blackened cheekbone. It was obvious by the smudges beneath her eyes that she'd had little sleep the night before as well.

“It is a pleasure to meet you aunt Kagome, I hope our arrival will not be an inconvenience.” Takashi greeted her, his expression as cool and composed as his father's.

Kagome smiled, wincing only a little at the tug on her cheek, “It's a pleasure to meet you too Takashi, and don't worry about being an inconvenience, you are always welcome here.”

“Thank you,” Giving a regal nod, the boy watched her straighten while keeping his eyes away from her bruise.

(- Such a little gentleman. He is certainly Sesshomaru's son -)

With his sleek, aristocratic features and Sesshomaru's graceful air, the boy was a miniature replica of his father, right up to the silver hair on his head. It seemed that really was a family trait, and Kagome remembered a time when Inuyasha had explained that all the males in his family had it. Unconsciously lifting a hand to her stomach, she gave a small prayer that her child would be a boy.

“M'am, we have a fresh tea pot brewing,” Mrs. Harrow interrupted. “If you'd like to freshen up first Monsieur le Compt, there are fresh water pitchers in your rooms as well.”

“That would be lovely Mrs. Harrow; we did have such a trying voyage with yesterday's storm and everything.” Rin gave the housekeeper one of her customary smiles. “Thank you so much for your efficiency.”

“It is a pleasure to have you here,” Mrs. Harrow replied with a blush.

To Kagome's surprise, Sesshomaru's servant turned away from the gathering and started ordering the footmen about. With a glance at Delaney, who was obviously fighting back the urge to roll his eyes, she bit her lip to keep down a giggle. She turned her attention back to her guests as they excused themselves to go wash.

“We will not be long,” Sesshomaru urged his son to go up and wash, turning at the bottom of the stairs to glance at his brother. “It wouldn't hurt you to clean up also, Inuyasha. Your smell is likely to make Rin ill if she gets too close.”

“Sesshomaru!” Rin scolded.

“I am only stating a fact, the man reeks,” Sesshomaru glanced pointedly between his brother and sister-in-law. Raising an eyebrow with a hint of a glare in his eyes, Sesshomaru was dismayed to see his Inuyasha turn away. Disturbed by the confirmation of his guilt, he turned and helped his wife up the stairs.

(- Damnit -)

Inuyasha turned to re-enter his study and froze when he finally came face-to-face with Kagome.

She stood a few feet away, her hands held tightly together and seemed to feel his eyes on her. Lifting her head, her gaze caught his and held it for a moment before he abruptly turned away. She must have misunderstood his action; he realized it when a hurt little sound came from the direction he'd just been looking at. In a soft rustle of skirts and petticoats, she rushed up the stairs and into her room.

(- What a mess! The last thing I need is my brother here to see what a shamble we've made of this marriage. -)

Stepping into his study, he couldn't help but grimace at the sight and smell there. A brandy decanter had fallen over, permeating the air and his carpet with the aroma of liquor. Another empty one lay beside the chair he'd been sitting in, and a third one, also empty, lay forgotten on the desk.

With an annoyed huff, he turned and caught the attention of one of the footmen. “James, have this mess cleaned up.”

“Yes, your grace, right away,” the young man nodded and hurried to find one of the maids.

Heading up to his room, Inuyasha hesitated for a moment, anticipating an awkward confrontation with his wife. He had just opened the door and taken a step inside when the door across from his room opened. Kagome had applied a touch of make up to her cheek, which still didn't cover the bruising completely, but did hide a bit.

“What are you doing over there?” Inuyasha blurted out.
“I have decided to take this room as my own,” Kagome informed him. “That way you won't be disturbed by my presence.”

“What?” Inuyasha turned with a glare and was further annoyed to see her take a tiny step away before she realized what she'd done and squared her shoulders. Her chin went up a notch, but he could see the uncertainty there, despite her efforts to hide it. The very idea made him sick.

The guilt was replaced by anger, however, as he remembered the events from the day before. He'd hit her, yes, but it had been completely unlike him. It had been her actions and words that had snapped his control. After all, she cheated on him for months and then had the gall to say it was his child?

He eyed her from head to foot, noting that she looked thin now, but soon she would be large with child like Rin. The image struck him like a kick in the gut and he scowled. “You plan on sleeping on your own?”

“It seems the best option,” Kagome nodded.

“For whom?” Inuyasha crossed his arms and leaned against his doorframe.

“For us both,” Kagome insisted, “You made it quite clear last night and just now that you can't bear the sight of me. Well, I won't be bullied or frightened all my life. I will stay in my room, you keep to yours, and we'll try to be civil during the day.”

Inuyasha quirked an eyebrow at that, “Civil? For how long my dear? For the rest of our lives? It seems a shady way to spend the rest of our days, don't you think?”

“Until we can get over our differences at the least,” Kagome shrugged and having decided she'd said enough, turned into her room again.

Rushing forward, Inuyasha stopped the progress of the closing door and stepped inside before shoving it closed with his foot. He gave Kagome little time to step away by placing her between the door and his body. She paled when she found herself caged in, but managed to keep her features in a cool expression and lift her chin again.

She did it to cover up for her fear, he realized, and felt a wave of annoyance wash over him once more. When his hand moved towards her face, she ducked her head away, riling his temper further.

“Bloody Hell! Will you stay still? I'm not going to do anything!” Turning her head in the opposite direction so he could look at her cheek, he wiped the make up off and inspected the bruise.

The words were out of his mouth before he'd even registered them, “I'm sorry.”

Kagome blinked, looking into his eyes again, “I'm not going to say it's all right.”

“I know.”

“It's not.”

“I know.”

“And you're not forgiven.” She continued, “I did nothing to deserve your anger.”
“Nothing?” Inuyasha gripped her chin tightly, eyes boring into hers. “Are you really with child?”

“Yes”

“Then you definitely did something,” Inuyasha muttered.

Kagome's defiant expression vanished, her voice becoming anguished rather than angry. “You really believe I cheated on you?”

He huffed, “I know you did.”

“I am not your ex-wife,” Kagome whispered, giving a gasp when his hands suddenly grabbed her upper arms.

Inuyasha kept his touch light, but eyes burned into hers while he asked, “What do you know about Patrice?”

The pain from his holding her bruised arms was too much; Kagome grabbed his shoulders and begged. “You're hurting me!”

Releasing her abruptly, Inuyasha stepped back and watched her lean away and hiss quietly while rubbing where his hands had been. Her back touched the wall and the action elicited another wince, but she stood there silently biting her lip. Eyes closed, she seemed to hardly notice a tear had slipped down her cheek, but Inuyasha did.

“What's wrong with your back?”

Kagome visibly paled, “Nothing!”

Her immediate reply made him scowl. “If nothing is wrong with your back then why did you just flinch?”

“I was just sore,” Kagome shuddered and leaned carefully back. “Inuyasha I don't want to fight with you again, I'm tired, you're angry, and despite the fact that we can't see eye to eye, we have guests.”

“Sesshomaru and Rin are hardly guests,” Inuyasha snapped.

“Nonetheless, it would be unseemly for them to hear us arguing or become a part of this.” Kagome sighed and rubbed her temples. “Can we please just put aside our anger for a while?”

“You are not staying in this room,” Inuyasha reached around her to open the door. “I'll have the maids move your things back while we see to Sesshomaru and his family.”

“Why?” Kagome demanded, “I hardly expect you to want me in your bed if you truly suspect me of infidelity.”

A harsh scoff preceded his reply, the cold tone of his voice sending a chill through her. “Au contraire, my dear, keeping you in my bed is only a safeguard against any more indiscretions.”

“Oooh!” Kagome bristled and pushed the door open wider, “Get out! Your brother was correct; your stench is likely to make any lady retch!”

“Oh!” Genny's surprised gasp made them both jump and look at the girl. “I'm sorry! I was just coming up with some fresh linen for the guest's rooms.”

Kagome smiled and waved her off, “Does Janette have any cakes or sandwiches available?”

Genny blinked, “She's working with Mr. Mackie on that just now.”

“I think I'll go see what they've prepared,” Kagome nodded to her husband before walking out the door.

Inuyasha huffed and crossed over to his room, stopping at the door to call out to the girl. “There has been a slight misunderstanding; my wife will not need the room across the hall, have the other girls help you move her things back as soon as I am done with my bath.”

Genny nodded, “Yes sir.”

The girl bobbed a curtsy and hurried on her way to the nursery, where Takashi was probably settling in. If there was anything strange about his wife being moved from room to room each night, his staff would keep mum, they knew his temper too well to mention it.

(- Those twits had better keep their traps shut for once. -)

Inuyasha sighed and hurried to clean up; certain the next few months were going to be hell. Hopefully his brother and his wife would leave soon.

------------------------------------------------------------- --

To say the atmosphere in the salon was a little uncomfortable would be a vast understatement. Kagome took a seat on a side chair near the door, thankful that the others had seated themselves to her left so her bruised cheek was kept mostly out of their sights.

“I hope your journey wasn't too trying?” Kagome poured a cup of tea and offered it to Rin. “You must have found it terribly uncomfortable, however.”

“No. The trip was most pleasant. I always loved traveling. I have wanted to come meet you since I first heard of your marriage, but Sessh didn't think I should come in my condition.” Patting her stomach, Rin smiled when her husband took her cup and poured some cream and sugar into it. “Thank you.”

Sesshomaru nodded curtly and took his own cup from Kagome's outstretched hand, “I decided it would be good for Rin to have female companionship, she was growing restless back home and I didn't imagine Inuyasha or you would mind having guests out here in the country.”

“Not in the least, we are family, after all,” Kagome served her own cup and finally set the heavy tea pot down. “I am very pleased to have you here.”

“Just as we are pleased to be here,” Rin decreed. “And I'm going to be terribly rude, this tea is lovely, and the cakes are quite delicious, but I am just wiped out. The storm last night hardly let me sleep and our bed at the nearby inn was not as soft as I would have liked, so I will excuse myself if you two don't mind.”

“I told you not to come down,” Sesshomaru muttered, standing as well.

“It would have been rude of me to not show up when the staff went to all the trouble of preparing things for us.” Rin sighed and came over to pat Kagome's cheek.

The action startled her, and Kagome looked up into her kind eyes. The warmth there, coming from a woman who knew nothing about her, brought a rush of tears to her own.

“You should probably rest too, you're looking a trifle peaked yourself.” Rin wiped a little make up off the bruise and tsked, pulling her handkerchief out of her dress' pocket. “There's no need for that, it'll ruin your lovely complexion.”

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Kagome nodded and took the handkerchief with a tremulous smile. “I didn't want you to be uncomfortable.”

“Don't worry, I'm sure we'll clear this all up soon,” with another pat to her cheek, the woman was off. “Don't follow me Sesshomaru. I'll have Delaney help me upstairs so you can keep Kagome company.”

“That's not…”

“Open to discussion,” Rin waved him back and closed the door firmly behind her.

Sesshomaru shook his head and turned back to where his sister-in-law sat. True, he'd hardly approved of the match between his brother and this country miss, but it had been necessary and he had come to appreciate the girl's spirit during the two days he'd spent in London with them as a chaperone. It was disturbing to see such a happy young girl so somber.

“You look terrible,” he stated, coming to sit on the chair nearest to hers. “When's the last time you ate?”

Kagome shrugged, leaning back in her seat, “Yesterday at breakfast, just a few bites, I went to visit some neighbors early and didn't want to take from their food. Indeed, I had only just taken them some of the pastries they love so much.”

“Then you need something more substantial than this, does your household not set up your breakfast in the morn?” Sesshomaru handed her a small cake, despite his words.

“I am sure they would have made something, but perhaps by now cleaned up. We are not usually abed this late,” Kagome bit the cake and chewed slowly, unaware that she winced slightly due to the movement of her cheek.

A knock on the door preceded a surprisingly tall and, to Sesshomaru's further surprise, rude man, “A special breakfast for you Missy.”

“Mackie!” Kagome smiled, forcing a cheerful demeanor to hide the nervousness of her meeting with him. She had promised to explain things later, and he obviously would not wait past this day to have a moment in private.

He came forward with a tray that was revealed to hold kippers, eggs, sausages, a bowl of black pudding, and some porridge. However, having uncovered it while standing directly before her, Mackie quickly stepped back when she jumped from her seat, looking pea green and holding a hand to her mouth.

“You brought kippers!”

Sesshomaru loomed out of his chair as well, reaching forward and quickly rushing Kagome out of the room. He had just gotten her to the front door, which Delaney had swung open, when Jaken appeared and blocked their exit. Kagome crumbled and lost the little she'd eaten to the man's shoes right there on the doorstep.

“Mon dieu!” Jaken stepped away, despite the fact that the damage was done. “My lord, look at what the woman has done! I told you no good would come of that brother of yours marrying a country miss!”

“Jaken!”

The man stiffened and grimaced up at his employer, the expression doing nothing to improve his already soured features. “My shoes are ruined.”

“What the hell?”

Inuyasha froze at the top of the stairs, watching his wife kneel between her servant and Sesshomaru for a second before rushing down. “What happened?”

“I brought a breakfast tray large enough for you both, but we forgot about the kippers.” Mackie rubbed her back and helped her sit up, taking a glass of water from Delaney and urging her to wash out her mouth.

“I'm sorry about your shoes,” Kagome mumbled to the furious man above her. “The smell of kippers doesn't sit well with my stomach.”

She sipped the water and spit some out next to Jaken's foot. She was trying to stand when disaster struck again. In an effort to help her up, both Sesshomaru and Mackie grabbed her arms. To their shock, she gave a strangled cry and crumpled again, the glass falling to the ground when her hands hit the floor. The movement yanked her arms away and she quickly scrambled away from the men, rubbing her aching limbs softly with her hands.

“Kagome!”

“I'm sorry,” Kagome shuddered and hefted herself up on wobbly legs. “I'm sorry; I need to lie down, if you'll excuse me.”

Without waiting for a reply, she rushed up the stairs, going as far away as she could from her husband when she passed by him. Sesshomaru watched the interaction silently, troubled by the obvious discord between the couple.

Inuyasha watched her head to her new room and step away when Brit and Sara came out carrying some of her dresses. Glancing back at her husband, Kagome's shoulders visibly slumped as she gave them some quiet order and stepped into his room, closing the door quietly behind her.

He turned away and continued down the stairs, quickly going on the defensive as he saw the scorn in Sesshomaru's eyes. The man's deadpan tone was even worse than usual,

“You hit your pregnant wife?”

(- If you only knew. -)

Inuyasha glared, “It's none of your affair. I don't advise you about Rin, so I'd appreciate the same courtesy.”

“Granted,” Sesshomaru agreed, “But I make no promises for my wife.”

“How long will you be here?” Inuyasha snapped, not caring if he sounded rude.

They both knew his temperament and that there was no love lost between them. They were on better terms now, but only because of Rin and the fact that she'd somehow won Inuyasha over.

“We had to leave, the Bastille was only a minor warning, and it wasn't safe for Rin and Takashi in Paris any longer.” Sesshomaru turned and headed into the salon, ignoring his fuming servant.

Inuyasha followed, frowning over the news. Paris was a hotbed of rebellion, he'd followed the news, of course, but he hadn't expected Sesshomaru to take flight. He was one of the few nobles attempting to help the common people in their struggles. Family came first though, and he would never put his wife or son in danger, it just wasn't in him. Even when he'd kicked Inuyasha and his mother out, he'd given his mother a few options in England.

“I am looking for a home, but as of yet, I only have the small lodgings in London and I didn't want to take Rin there in the midst of the little season. She's in no condition to be traipsing about the soirées being held now, not to mention that she was eager to meet your wife.” Sesshomaru sat and watched his brother begin picking at the food.

“I'm not going to lie, you couldn't have come at a worse time,” Inuyasha mumbled between bites. “The sooner you go the better.”

“I will endeavor to decide quickly,” Sesshomaru agreed. “Takashi enjoyed the journey, but Rin is easily taxed, I don't wish to jostle her again too soon.”

“No, I don't suppose you should,” Inuyasha agreed with a frown, “How far along is she?”

“Seven months or so,” Sesshomaru sighed and stood up once again. “I'm tired as well. I shall go and see how my wife is.”

Inuyasha nodded and kept eating, ignoring him as he went out. He didn't want to deal with this now, Rin was sure to give him an earful as soon as she saw him, especially once she found out Kagome was expecting too. That's just what he needed, two women around to ruin his life. As if he didn't have enough troubles with one.

------------------------------------------------------------- --

“Mackie, we had an argument. I don't want to talk about it,” Kagome sighed and leaned back against the settee.

She'd come to her room to rest, only to be woken up by Mackie with a cup of plain tea and un-yeasted bread. Tugging on a bed robe, since she'd slipped out of her dress earlier, she'd settled on the settee with a blanket over her legs before letting him in. Now he was trying to find out what had happened, but she really wasn't in the mood to talk.

Rolling her eyes at his continued questioning, her attention was caught by a flash of color at the top of the bookshelf behind him. She'd hardly paid much attention to the tomes up there before, but something about that one intrigued her. All the books on that top shelf were part of a collection, and therefore bound by the same black material. So why was there a maroon one, and why hadn't they noticed it before?

“Mackie, can you reach up to that book?” She interrupted him suddenly, “The maroon one on the top shelf behind you.”

“You haven't listened to a word I've said, have you?” Mackie huffed and turned to look for the book she'd asked for.

He easily picked it off the shelf and handed it over. Knowing how stubborn she could be, he shook his head and made his way out of the room. He wanted to find out the truth of what had happened, but from the pale looks of her, she'd had a hard enough time already for one morning.

Kagome ignored his exit and stared down at the cover of the book, “Father of Lies, what an odd title.”

Opening the front page, her attention was caught by the insignia of a flame on the first page. It had been filled with crimson, but the painting was messy and had obviously not been an original part of the book. In truth, the ink was a bit odd and thick. It had seeped through the first page and she had to pull the next page away carefully for fear of ruining it. Once she'd gotten them separated, she squinted to read the passage, surprised to find the words above the printed title had been written in by hand.

“It's written in that same ink that was used to fill in the flames,” she frowned a little and concentrated on reading what looked like a poem, surprised when she couldn't make a word out. It took her a moment before she realized what was wrong.

“They're backwards?” Kagome blinked and studied the words closely, indeed, they had been written in a reverse order. “Thank goodness for Miroku.”

Having written many a secret message to his smaller cousin as a child, Miroku had used a method that they believed secret back then. He would write the words backwards and she would hold the paper up to a mirror to read them. It had taken him some time to master the technique, a thing she had never accomplished, but she had had quite a time attempting it.

Closing the book with a sigh, Kagome rolled her eyes and got up off her comfortable place on the settee, moving over to sit on her vanity. She noted how sore she felt while gazing into the mirror and seeing that she had bruises on her arms and wrists.

“Don't think about those now,” shaking away those unpleasant thoughts, she opened the book to the correct page and smiled as she lifted it up before the mirror, eager to see what was there.

With her eyes glued to the book's reflection, she missed the way her complexion paled as she read, too shocked by the words before her to notice aught else.

Lords I beg thee, heed my calling,
Absolve me of my foolish vice,
From thy grace, I rue my falling,
Accept this token or name thy price.

Babalon! Lucifer! Diabolus! Amy!
I honor thy names in my heart once more,
Dark lords heed me, speak, I pray thee,
Grant thy wisdom against this whore!

Thus I return, and repeat my pledge
Gods of Earth, I yield to thy mercy
And the will of thy Daemons' s revenge,
Hail Satan! Hail Lilith! Hail Agares and Behemoth!

diabolus enim et alii daemones
i credo

Wide-eyed and stunned, she lowered her gaze to the book and suddenly realized why the ink was so strange.

It was blood.

---------------------------------------------------------- -----

Well, that update took forever. I'm so sorry you guys, I've had the worst case of writer's block with this story. Hope this rash of creativity keeps up, I'm starting the next chapter now that I've got ideas again, so the next update won't take nearly as long, this I promise!

Thank you so much to everyone who's followed this story so diligently. Thank you for all the reviews, e-mails and the messages left here and there, urging me to keep this story going. They really mean the world you guys!

A couple of notes I must include:

1.- “Bienvenue! Vous est la Comptess D'Angers, oui?” - “C'est un plaisier de faire votre connaisance enfin!” - “Welcome, you are the Countess of Angers, right?" - "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance at last!”

“Mon dieu!” is simply “My god!”

2.- diabolus enim et alii daemons, i credo - The devil and the other demons, I believe.