InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bacchanalia ❯ Pains and Promises ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

- Pains and Promises -
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
"Your Grace!"
Inuyasha jumped to his feet as a loud crash followed Genny's shocked cry. He'd had a stressful evening, what with Kagome and Rin both excusing themselves from dinner. He and Sesshomaru had a greed that it would be a waste to have the dining room set up for the two of them, not like they enjoyed each other's company in the least, so they were going to have a tray sent up to the rooms for them as well.
He had been going over some of his notes about Shazia and her situation when he heard Ginny's exclamation. Tossing them onto his bed, he rushed out, only to freeze at the door of his wife's room. The tray had been left completely forgotten by the doorway. Ignoring the mess, he pushed the doors open wider and felt his heart stop for a second as he realized why the girl had been so upset.
Kagome lay crumpled before them on the ground, her bruised cheek no surprise to either of them, but the bruises on her wrists and arms had them both in shock.
(- What in the blazes happened? I did not cause those when we argued. -)
The sight hit Inuyasha like a fist in the gut. Whatever had happened to her, it had been very recent by the coloring of her bruises.
Genny was quick in lighting a candle, only to reveal an even worse view than before. Kagome's wrists weren't the only part of her that was black and blue. The visible part of her back was not only bruised, but scratched as well, and in the light they ere able to see another large suspicious mark on her shoulder.
"Oh goodness," Genny whispered sadly.
Knowing what the girl was thinking as he came over to pick Kagome up, Inuyasha did not miss the slight shake of her head at him, nor the accusing look in her eyes.
Ignoring it, he quickly checked for other injuries, finding the bump on her head and cursing. He made sure to be extra careful when lifting her onto the bed. Still, as soon as her back touched the mattress, Kagome gave a moan and arched away from it. Inuyasha quickly turned her onto her side, careful to avoid the lump on her head as well. He had to set her down on her left side, facing away from the doorway, her back facing the door.
"What's going on?"
"Is everything all right?"
"Oh my!"
Inuyasha turned to see Rin, Sesshomaru, Delaney and Mrs. Harrow at the door. The housekeeper quickly turned to send away the other serving girls who'd come, as well as ordering water and towels to be sent up. Mackie was there in the next instant, rushing into the room only to stop few steps away from the bed.
"What the hell did you do to her?!"
As expected, Inuyasha stood and turned to him with a glare, "I did not cause all those bruises, nor the scratches, NOT that it's any of your business."
Before Mackie could respond, a moan from Kagome had everyone turning back to the bed. Rin came around to sit facing her, grabbing a ribbon off the bedside table and using it to tie Kagome's hair and move it out of the way.
"Ohhh… my head…"
Raising her hand to the sensitive throbbing spot, Kagome winced and blinked up into the worried face of her sister-in-law. "Rin?
"You poor dear," Rin made sure to keep her voice low and even when she spoke, "What happened? Can you remember?"
Kagome blinked, "I was reading, but I got up when my candle unexpectedly blew out. I must have tripped and hit my head."
Struggling to sit up, Kagome was surprised when she felt her husband's hands come up to her waist to help her. His eyes darkened when she sucked in a breath and stiffened away from the bed, not letting her back come into full contact with the pillows. When he reached up and touched her head, the pain made her sway and almost pass out again.
Without turning, Inuyasha ordered Mackie to get the doctor, not missing the 'hmph' the man gave before rushing off to get the physician. That he didn't believe Inuyasha about not having hurt Kagome so badly annoyed him, but his temerity to stand up to a duke showed a lot about his devotion to the lady in question.
Sesshomaru turned to the girl cleaning up the mess from the spilled tray, "That will be all for now, I imagine you will be called if aught else is necessary."
With a nod, Kagome waved Genny away, closing her eyes with another soft moan at the pain the motion brought her.
"DON'T fall asleep," Inuyasha ordered.
"I know that," Kagome glared but was distracted by Rin ordering the men out of the room as Brit came up with a bowl of water and a pile of towels.
"I'm not going anywhere," Inuyasha took the items from the girl, handed them to Rin, and ordered all the servants out, including Delaney and Harrow.
Sesshomaru moved to the window, watching the scene from beneath lidded eyes. Kagome wasn't your typical simpering miss, that he'd known since they'd first met, but it was probably because of that fact that she intrigued him.
As Rin pressed a cool wet towel to the lump on her head, he could see the anger in his brother as he scanned his wife. The crescent mark on her shoulder was disturbing to them all, but even more so ,now that they could see it had been one of two such markings, and in this case it didn't take much effort to see it was actually a very harsh bite mark.
"What happened to you?"
Inuyasha's voice was steely, a tone Rin and Sesshomaru both knew meant he was hanging onto the reins of his temper by a very fine leash.
"I already told you, I tripped and hit my head," Kagome kept her eyes closed, obviously pained by the cloth touching her head injury.
"On your back!" Inuyasha insisted.
Taking offense at his demanding tone, Rin contradicted herself by yelling back at him. "Don't raise your voice Inuyasha!"
Kagome smiled at her sister-in-law's defense of her, feeling slightly surprised since they didn't know each other all that well, but still hesitated for a moment before replying, "Nothing."
With a curse, Inuyasha took a seat beside her and took hold of her hands, being careful not to squeeze her wrists. "I asked you before what caused the bruises on one wrist, and you led me to believe that it occurred during our argument. But I know I did not cause these, or the bruises on your back, and I sure as HELL did not bite you. So tell me who did!"
Attempting to pull them away, Kagome cried out when that forced him to tighten his grip on her bruises. To her chagrin, the pain in her head and the anger in his eyes, as well as the pity in Rin and Sesshomaru's eyes were suddenly too much for her. When she broke into sobs, Inuyasha released her and jumped back, appalled at the way he'd just treated her again.
"INUYASHA!"
Taking the girl into her arms, Rin gave him a dirty look as she ordered the men from the room. "The both of you can just leave! She's going to need some peace, not an inquisition right now!"
Kagome quickly pulled back and shook her head, instantly regretting it as she raised a hand to her forehead, struggling to regain her composure, "No, thank you, but I'm all right."
Sniffling and taking the handkerchief offered by Rin, she slowly leaned back against the pillows and closed her eyes, not sure how to explain.
Rin took hold of her hand and turned it over to look at her wrist, "These are recent, are they not?"
"Yes," taking a steadying breath, Kagome looked down at them. "It's only been two days."
"That's when we argued," Inuyasha reminded her.
"I am perfectly aware of that," she snapped, regretting it instantly and leaning her head back with a moan, draping the wet towel over her eyes.
The room remained silent as they all waited for her to explain. Realizing they were not going to leave without an answer, Kagome hesitated to involve Hiten but knew it would get her nowhere to lie.
"I was coming home from a friend's house and I forgot my cloak. It was cold and I was in a hurry to get home before the downpour started, but it caught up with me as I reached the ruins. So I went to stand under the small roofed portion to wait the rain out and found someone already there."
Removing the towel from her eyes, she kept it in her hands, twisting it nervously as she continued. "I had met Naraku a couple of months ago. He is cousin to a good friend of mine and whenever Hojo and I would visit, he would often come along, but lately he'd been making inappropriate moves."
She looked up at Inuyasha slowly, "He insisted that you were with your mistress in London, you know, Kikyo? The same one who used to be his, or yours, poor woman's been passed back and forth it seems, but the point is he insisted she was the reason you wouldn't come home."
Inuyasha cursed, pacing along the foot of her bed, "I wasn't, you know. Kikyo would be the last woman I would wish to spend time with. What else did he say?"
"That he knew," Kagome whispered, "About that night at the party."
Tears slipped from her eyes as she remembered his mocking her during the attack, "In the ruins, he insisted that you were cheating and then he kissed me."
"The bastard!" Inuyasha cursed, "Even I didn't believe him that stupid!"
"Inuaysha," Rin hushed him, "You're not helping."
Pausing to take in a breath, Kagome wiped her eyes but it didn't help much as she continued, "I didn't kiss him back, I was trying to get away, I even bit his tongue. That's when he bit my shoulder and shoved me against the wall. My back was scratched when he forced me down against it and then he ripped my dress down the front, but I-I didn't … I didn't want…"
No longer pacing, Inuyasha felt his blood run cold as he realized what had actually happened that day. He was able to focus on one fact alone. Naraku had stopped outside the ruins to fix his pants.
Feeling sick, he turned to see Rin hugging his wife, tears running down her cheeks as well.
"Did he…?" Unable to finish his question, he watched her pull away from Rin and shake her head. She would not meet his eyes, but she did continue after a moment.
"Hiten, one of the boys that I visit every week, had followed me with my cloak. He pulled Naraku away from me and knocked him down." Kagome sucked in a deep breath and struggled to regain her composure. "Naraku threatened to have him locked up, but I made them both swear that neither would tell anyone what had happened."
Sesshomaru frowned at that, "Why?"
"Because Hiten doesn't need more problems, he and his brother are already ostracized by the people around here, and I didn't want Inuyasha to have to kill Naraku." Kagome sniffed and wiped her eyes again.
Rin patted her hand, drying her tears also, and they all stayed silent for a moment when a commotion coming up the stairs caught their attention.
"Mackie must be back with the doctor," Kagome whispered, reaching over to pull on her robe to cover her back.
"We'll leave you," Rin gave her a light but heartfelt hug and stood to walk out with her husband as the doctor was brought in.
Inuyasha followed them to the door but did not leave, merely standing aside and watching as the man who had treated his mother checked his wife over. Doctor Genzai had been one of the few people who'd never listened to the rumors and had always been an ally. Even with the fiasco with Patrice, he'd known how much her betrayal had hurt the young man.
The disappointment in his eyes when he finally looked up was enough to make Inuyasha turn away uncomfortably.
Here he was, with his pregnant new wife bruised and battered, and looking guilty as all hell.
Looking out the window, he pictured the situation as Kagome had presented it and inwardly cursed himself for a damned fool. He should have calmed down before speaking to her that day. If he'd had, maybe he would have recognized the fear in her eyes when he'd stormed into her room.
Attacked twice in one day, once by that bastard and then by her bastard husband.
"You'll be quite all right my dear," Dr. Genzai was assuring Kagome, "You seem perfectly coherent, but one never knows, so we'll need you to stay awake for a while longer before you can rest."
Taking a cream from his bag, he gently set it on her bedside table, explaining that it would help with the markings on her wrists and arms.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I must be off again, but I will stop by in the morning to be sure you are well your grace," with an affable nod, he bowed to Inuyasha and wasn't surprised when he insisted on walking him out.
Dr. Genzai stopped by his horse before he finally spoke to Inuyasha, more confident that he could be honest without being overhead. "Your wife seems lucid enough, but head injuries are tricky. Overall her health, despite the circumstances she may have been through recently, seems well. She will have to be very careful as it is however, not to be in such a state again in the near future."
"I understand, of course I…"
Cutting Inuyasha off, the doctor gave a shake of his head, "No, you don't understand, as it happens. Your wife is with child, a fact you are likely aware of, however, she is quite petite. This pregnancy will not be easy for her Inuyasha, you know better than most the risks women face."
For the second time in the evening, Inuyasha's blood ran cold, "You're not saying that she's in for a dangerous delivery?"
"She most definitely is at a higher risk, yes," Genzai shook his head and waited a moment, deciding whether or not to continue.
Then the image of the young woman upstairs made his mind up for him. Looking into the duke's eyes, he knew he was crossing a line, but it wasn't one they'd ever really cared for in the first place.
"This girl is not Patrice, so whatever has caused the strife between you, and the baby would me my first guess, I am warning you that it would be a grave mistake for you to mistake them for one another."
Inuyasha nodded, "Of course, the truth is that I didn't…"
The doctor was quick to interrupt. "No need to explain to me, I have been a friend to you for years and will continue to be so, but not everyone in the area is likely to stand beside you. Your past cannot be erased with a sweet new wife and a seemingly charmed new attitude. You have been the Devilish Duke too long. Not to mention you've been gone for months with a new bride left at home, traipsing about the countryside with an escort of two unmarried young men."
Genzai gave a sigh and looked up to the house, "The gossip is spreading as we speak. Unfortunately, the viper in this nest is our own vicar's wife, who had the joy of seeing your wife's bruised cheek just yesterday and could hardly wait to run her mouth."
"Damn," Inuyasha frowned and turned from the doctor.
"Thought you should know," Gaining his mount, Genzai reminded him that he'd be back in the morning and began to head out when he remembered something and stopped his horse again, "Oh, and one more thing m'boy."
Inuyasha was on the steps and turned, "Yes?"
Gezai cocked his head towards the window of the duchess' room and saw her step away from the glass. "Wait a bit and then make sure she actually gets some rest. The circles under her eyes will not do at all."
He gave a wave and turned away, eager to get to his own hearth and home. His own wife, Megumi, would rip him a new one if he was out much longer.
Walking into the house, Inuyasha was surprised to see Kagome standing at the bottom of the stairwell. She was swaying slightly and her hand was gripping the robe closed at her throat. It was obvious that she had jumped out of bed quickly because she'd left her slippers off, a fact which Delaney himself had headed up to correct.
She looked pale and delicate as she stood there and he took a moment to look her over. She was decidedly slim, and it was a challenge to imagine that she truly would be round with child soon. The coloring on her hand was disturbing to him and he came up and took hold of her arm, pulling it up to set on his shoulder.
"You should still be in bed," dipping, he was quick to lift her into his arms and make his way upstairs again.
"I can walk," Kagome whispered.
Inuyasha gave her a sad, lopsided grin and shook his head, whispering back that he preferred to carry her.
Closing her eyes to the tears those words brought to them, Kagome lay hear head on his shoulder, savoring the moment in his arms again.
"Don't fall asleep just yet love, we need to talk," thanking Delaney for fetching her slippers, Inuyasha had her take them from the man and then excused him for the night, carrying Kagome into her room and laying her down gently on the bed.
"I'd prefer that you not call me that just now," Kagome pulled away and scooted to the middle of the bed, mindful of her aching body.
Annoyed, Inuyasha took a seat and leaned his back against one of the tall bedposts holding up the canopy above. "Would you have told me?"
"About the ruins? Not likely," Kagome answered, deciding honesty would be best.
"Just how, pray tell, did you plan on keeping me from noticing the scratches or bruises?" Inuyasha asked.
"Long sleeved nightgowns," Kagome shrugged, "I don't know, I was thinking of that very problem after I got home, but then it wasn't necessary to worry about after our quarrel. "
"That wasn't a quarrel," getting to his feet again, Inuyasha paced the room, hating the guilt that he felt every time she jumped at his movements.
Kagome ignored that and decided to take the opportunity to bring the skeletons out of his closet, as he'd already heard hers. "Were you ever going to tell me?"
Inuyasha halted, a questioning look in his eyes before she spoke again.
"About Patrice? That was her name, was it not? Your wife's?"
Staring him in the eye, Kagome watched him blink and take a moment to gather his thoughts. She knew since he was hesitating that he hadn't planned on telling her.
"I would have found out eventually, you know. You brought her up just two nights ago," Kagome reminded him, "You accused me of being the same."
"I was angry," Inuyasha came to stand by her side and was surprised when she scooted over and patted the blanket beside her.
Taking the offered seat, he leaned against the headboard and closed his eyes. Patrice was the one topic he'd never wanted to brooch with Kagome. The betrayal had hit him pretty hard.
Kagome, however, wasn't willing to give up on the topic so easily. "Where did you meet?"
"We met in Paris. We were both young, foolish, and it seemed a match made in heaven. Patrice was from an aristocratic family but of limited means. Her father wanted her to marry well and bring the family t of debt. The truth is that the man gambled vastly beyond his means and needed a rich son-in-law."
"Which means you were a perfect candidate," Kagome winced slightly as she leaned forward, tossed a couple of pillows down and re-adjusted herself so her feet were by the headboard. Lying on her stomach hurt a lot less than leaning on pillows.
Hugging them to her chest, she rolled onto her side to keep facing him. "So you were married in a hurried but lavish ceremony?"
"Not in the least, we were married after a five month courtship, and wed in a small family church outside their countryside estate." Inuyasha shrugged out of his coat and tossed it on a nearby chair. "It was the simple wedding I'd always wished for, and of course, being young and foolish, the stars in my eyes kept me from seeing the very truth before them."
At the bitter twist in his features, Kagome could just imagine how foolish he saw himself, "What truth?"
Inuyasha gave a dark chuckle, "Why, that my beloved bride was in fact three months pregnant with the child of a good friend of mine; a poor friend, by the by, much to our mutual misfortune."
After a brief moment, Kagome sighed and turned away, finally speaking in soft subdued voice. "The situation must have been quite desperate for her as well."
At his scoff, she ignored him and kept speaking, her fingers playing with the tassels on one of her pillows. "I can't imagine the sadness that would cause me, being forced to marry a man for his money, knowing full well that the man I truly love is his best friend but being unable to do anything about it. I don't know how she found the strength to do it."
With a scornful huff, Inuyasha jumped from the bed to pace beside it again as he had before, "Don't waste your time pitying the woman, Kagome, she had her share of blame. She had known about his situation, indeed, she helped him choose the friend he would introduce to her father as a possible suitor."
"They were both older than me, you see, and thought my youth would make me manageable. Not to mention my weakness for her beauty," Inuyasha moved to stand at the window and kept speaking over his shoulder.
"She was one of those women who could enchant a room just by entering it. Tall, pale, her hair was a rich mahogany color, her eyes the most amazing blue you've seen in your life. There was not a man in Paris who wouldn't have given his left leg to marry her that year, and yet none were quite as green and blind as myself. Especially as such a good friend of mine was more than happy to encourage the pairing and help us find ways to spend time together."
"You fell in love with her," Kagome realized, sitting up and clutching the pillow to her chest.
He gave a nod, "Wholeheartedly, and did I ever learn my lesson. We were wed in a small but happy ceremony and it wasn't until our wedding night, when we were going to bed, that she announced the real reason she married me."
Kagome blinked, "On your wedding night?"
"I found out when she boldly stepped into my room, opened her robe and showed me her slightly rounded stomach." Inuyasha suddenly found himself re-living the moment, seeing her contemptuous smile, the defiant stance she'd taken when she'd announced the pregnancy- his own shock.
Suddenly he was back in the present, Kagome's hand on his arm, "That must have been terrible."
He hadn't heard her get out of bed, but he did turn and lift her into his arms, moving to sit in a nearby chair by the hearth. Keeping her close, he stared into the flames as he recounted the rest of the story. "We came here to live almost immediately, my mother had taken ill and I refused to stay in France. I agreed to take on the child as if it were my own so long as my ex-friend agreed to never contact Patrice again."
"And did he keep his word?" Kagome looked up into his troubled face.
He shook his head and gave a shrug, "Not that I cared anymore, I focused on tending to my mother and left Patrice to do as she would. She was a very vain woman, however, and soon came to resent the child; it's father for neglecting her, and me for keeping her from him. She became reckless and did as she pleased."
"I heard she died in childbirth," Kagome shivered and curled up closer on his lap.
"She went out riding, even though she was well into her seventh month, and was thrown. She was rushed home but the fall triggered her labor." Inuyasha's eyes darkened as he remembered her screams and curses. "Neither she nor the babe made it."
"I'm so sorry," Kagome felt tears choke her again and struggled to hold them back.
"She gave up," Inuyasha mumbled, "That's what the doctor said, and he was probably right. Ours was not a happy marriage, and without the babe there was only me, whom she'd only married for money and protection. No reason to fight and keep living in that case."
Kagome did give a sob then and pulled back to look into his eyes, "She must not have been very smart under all that beauty, because any woman who couldn't see what she had in you had to be a fool."
Giving her a rueful grin, Inuyasha looked into her eyes and felt amazed and humbled by the tears she was shedding- for him. After he'd accused her, shoved her, slapped her just two nights ago, here she was, defending him against a dead woman because she hadn't loved him.
She was going to kill him with guilt.
Lifting a hand to wipe her tears, he hated that she flinched when he touched her cheek, surprising him when he felt his own throat constrict. "Good lord, what did I do to deserve you?"
Giving a smile, Kagome sniffled and snuggled into his arms again, her head resting on his shoulder. "I honestly don't know what you did, but I know what you're going to do to if you expect to keep me around."
Her light and teasing tone of voice made him swallow past the lump in his throat and ask, "And that would be?"
He was expecting something silly, such a promising to coddle her for weeks, be her eternal slave, or buy her something perhaps.
However, she became perfectly serious as she thought about it, finally sitting up and pulling away to face him in the eye. Her request couldn't have shocked him more if she'd tried.
"You're going to promise me that you will not to call out Naraku."
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
There you are, an update, and a happy one, because I'd gotten so many requests to make things right with them- and I couldn't stand the unhappiness either.
Yes, the mystery is still not over, and joy is ever fleeting. So I hope you all enjoyed this update and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Thanks for your patience guys!
-KawaiiChica