InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Say ❯ Chapter nine: The Price ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter nine

A/N: I do not own Inuyasha. I have had some great reviews! I'm glad that you are enjoying this fic. Now, on with the show!

Sango cleared her throut. "Elder, it is not so much my request as it is Kagome-chan's. She is the one who wishes to plead her case to you." She motioned for Kagome to come forward.

The elder turned his eyes to Kagome. He was still smilling, so Kagome took a deep breath and after bowing, began. "Greetings to you elder. I have come to beg a favor of you. I have a friend and traveling companion that was injured due to my carelessness. His wound will not heal and it is because of a poison that was on the blade he was using. The poison came from some wood that he was carving. The elder miko of our village said that it was a type used by some of the ninja clans. Sango offered to guide me hear so that I could plead for the antidote to save his life. I ...I will pay whatever price is nescessary to save him." So saying, she bowed her head to hide her tears.

Sango and Miroku both groaned. She had done exactly what they had feared!

The elder's smile had been replaced by a slight frown. "Before I answer you, I need to know what poison was used. There are some that we have no antidote for. Do you have the carving with you? If I know what kind of wood was used, I can identify the poison."

Kagome reached into her pocket and passed the carving to him. He looked at it silently. "Child, this is a hanyou! Is it he who was injured?" he demanded after a moment.

Fear welled up in Kagome. "Yes," she whispered, "I hurt him and now he's dying because of me!"

"Then why do you care if he dies! He is a hanyou!" exclaimed the elder.

"Elder, please!" interjected Sango. "He is a good man and has never done innocents harm. He fights to protect not only Kagome but myself, as well. He even forgave me when I tried to kill him and when I betrayed him. He deserves to be healed."

"SILENCE!" thundered the old man. "I have asked a question of you, miko. What is you're reply?"

"I LOVE HIM!" screamed Kagome, "And I will do anything to save his life. Will you help us?"

The elder sat in silence for a moment. "There is an antidote to this poison and I do have it. However, it is a secret of the clan, to be revealed only to other clan members. Sango is a kinswoman but is not a member of the clan. We do take adoptions, though. You are a strong miko, I can read it in your aura. If you will join the clan and marry someone of my choosing, I will give you the antidote."

Kagome gasped, as did Sango and Miroku. This wasn't a price they had expected! "Marriage! But elder I...I'm not ready for marriage! And why would you want me to marry?"

"That is easy enough to answer. Your miko powers would be an asset to the clan. Also, any children of yours could inherit your powers and would have the benefit of clan training." The elder looked at them grimly. "Perhaps this will help you to accept my offer." He motioned to one of his retainers and whispered to him. The retainer left quickly. A few minutes later, the doors opened to reveal some men carring a litter. As they entered the room, Kagome recognized the figure in red bound to the litter.

"Inuyasha!" she screamed. She turned to the elder in outrage, "What have you done to him? Why is he bound and how did he get here?"

"He was found about an hour from here by one of our patrols. He is bound because he is a hanyou and not to be trusted." explained the elder.

"Please, elder!" begged Kagome, "He will harm no one! He is injured and weak!"

"Feh!" said a voice from the litter, weakly. "I'm not that weak!"

"Inuyasha! Oh, thank the kami's your alright! Everthing will be okay, Inuyasha, I will get the antidote for you." With a determined look on her face, Kagome turned and faced the old man, "Very well, elder. I accept your offer for the antidote. I will join your clan and marry the man of your choice....after you heal him."

"NO!" exclaimed Inuyasha, struggling against his bonds and fighting the pain that was rising in him. "I have just admited that I love you, and I will not lose you to another, even if it means my death!"

"Inuyasha, I won't let you die! It's my fault your like this, and I won't have you die! And if means me marrying someone, then so be it! Please, Inuyasha! I owe you this!" begged Kagome.

"No you don't, not at this price!" shouted Inuyasha.

"ENOUGH!" bellowed the elder. "You have accepted my terms. This is good. I will give you the antidote for this hanyou. I will then give you until he recovers for me to make my decision on who you will marry! That is all I have to say on this matter." That said, the elder rose from his seat and left the room.

"I'll kill everone in this place, before I let you marry one of these weaklings!" fumed Inuyasha.

"No, you won't. I made my promise and I will keep my word, even if it breaks my heart." Kagome turned away, crying.

At the door, where none could see him, the elder allowed himself a small smile. He had an idea that would improve the clan even more.