InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beads & Bones ❯ To Prey Upon ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To Prey Upon
 
 
Possessed.
 
What kind of taijiya lets herself get possessed?
 
One who let her guard down, that's the answer. Too angry at Houshi-sama's complete disregard for my feelings, so helplessly shouted at him in the depths of Mt. Hakurei; too frustrated at his attitude toward the women of the village when I had so obviously shared with him what he means to me.
 
I would have to talk to him about that later.
 
If we survived.
 
I forgot what father taught me - clear my mind of emotion, of extraneous thoughts when going into battle. Distractions can be deadly and were nearly so this time.
 
It was embarrassing. I was completely aware of my actions. I watched myself hurl Hiraikotsu at Houshi-sama (embarrassing I did such a thing, though I was pleased to see the water didn't hinder my abilities).
 
“Sango! I'm coming to save you right now!”
 
So he cared then? Where was his concern earlier? When he was flirting with the village women, when he was going off with them in the dead of night?
 
The only way I could describe it was that the youkai egg preyed on my emotions. Maybe my anger grew too strong for me to fight it.
 
Or maybe I was just that frustrated.
 
It was a glorious battle - Houshi-sama is no slouch, but he is more a sneak and a smooth-talker. He got in a lucky break, tripping me up with his staff, but it left him without a weapon.
 
I would have to talk to him about that later.
 
If he survived.
 
Unfortunately for Houshi-sama, his natural abilities and level of training has nothing on the rigorous testing of the taijiya village. His move may have cost me Hiraikotsu, but a warrior from my village always has more than one weapon on his or her person.
 
It was no different now.
 
I didn't want to draw blood. I wasn't that angry. Even if I was, even if I had been, it was dishonorable. He was only trying to help me, and I knew that. No taijiya should allow herself to fall under a youkai's spell, much less remain under it.
 
But I was only somewhat in control of myself, and the youkai in the egg had a very good sense of self-preservation.
 
I'll never know how he was able to retrieve his staff so quickly, but he parried well and we were on a similar level, my sword not being my strongest weapon. Again I found myself (embarrassingly!) on my back, my sword skittering away.
 
Hiraikotsu gone, sword out of reach… I still had weapons up my sleeve (literally). He knew that, had seen them in action!
 
I would have to talk to him about that later.
 
If he survived.
 
Father would have been ashamed. The youkai, my skill in countering each of his moves - they made me cocky. Dodging a hasty blow, he grabbed my arm, spun me around and punched me in the stomach.
 
When I came to, he was bleeding from the arm. His cheek bled as well. He was scratched and bruised, not to mention soaked from taking off into the lake to rescue me.
 
I would have to talk to him about that later…
 
If only I could summon the courage.
 
 
A/N:
 
Originally posted to LiveJournal on November 7, 2009
 
Word Count: 543
 
Prompt: “Possess”