InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Best Friends ❯ Elemental Tragedy ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
"Kaname...?" Saki opened the sliding door leading out onto the porch. She sighed, almost irritably, as she saw the back of Kaname. Saki, the older and more mature of the two, walked over to her best friend, and sat next to her. "Stop crying. It won't get you anywhere."

"I suppose if I stop crying, it'll get me somewhere?" Kaname sniffed, and wiped her eyes. Saki narrowed her eyes at her friend, but dismissed the comment.

"You can't expect them to choose a fifteen year old, like you are. The want-to-be parents look for little kids. We'd know all the time we aren't their kids. That we were adopted. The smaller ones most likely wouldn't remember, and live happy lives. Is that what you want? Live a life that you know you don't belong?" Saki asked, and Kaname turned her face away. Saki couldn't hear, but she knew that her friend's tears were falling anew.

"Do you always have to be... such a realist?" Kaname hiccupped through her tears.

"To be happy... yeah," Saki hugged Kaname, her only friend in this pathetic orphanage. Kaname succumbed to her friend, and cried on her shoulder. I think, the real reason, is that I'll be alone. I wouldn't want Kaname to leave me alone.

~~~

"Wake up! Let's go! It's nearly dawn, and we should have been packed by now!" Ms. Tajima barked through the girl's quarters. She was the owner of their small orphanage, tucked away into a rural part of Japan. Ms. Tajima stopped at Kaname and Saki's bunk, and rapped on Saki's head, who lay snoozing on the top bunk. Saki sat up quickly, rubbing her head. Kaname was already awake, but barely.

"Who the heck is screaming?" Kaname grumbled, sitting up.

"Me! Got a problem, little miss Kaname?!" Ms. Tajima swooped her head to where she was eye-to-eye with Kaname.

"Ah! Gomen-nasai, Ms. Tajima!" Kaname hopped from her bunk immediately, and began packing a bag under the instruction of the screaming woman standing over her. Saki packed her bag quickly, and Ms. Tajima couldn't find a reason to yell at her, so she stalked away to yell at someone else.

"Man, this camping thing is so stupid!" Saki walked around her bunk-bed, to stand next to Kaname, who stood on the other side.

"Well, at least you get to practice your pyro skills," Kaname smirked at Saki. The older girl blinked, and smiled mischievously to herself.

"Oh, yeah. We get to make campfire's, right?" Saki chuckled. She whispered in Kaname's ear, "We'd be really lucky if we camped by a lake, or stream, perhaps."

"I'd like to drown Ms. Tajima," Kaname muttered back. These two girl's appeared to be normal, teenage girls, besides the fact they were orphans. Saki was sixteen, and Kaname fifteen. What nobody knew, besides themselves, was that they were gifted with strange abilities, having to do with nature's elements. Most would know that the elements were: water, fire, air, and earth. These girls had the most powerful of these four. Fire and water. They discovered their powers once they met each other, and found that when they were separated, they couldn't use their abilities. Their friendship was instant, and found that they couldn't stand to be away from each other. Almost like Yin and Yang.

~~~

"We will camp here, girls. Now, get into pairs, and let me see you get a campsite in order. That includes a decent fire, sleeping quarters, and provisions. "Go."

Kaname and Saki started to build their tent first, since they could do everything else quickly. When the tent was up, they put their sleeping bags, clothes, and cosmetics inside. When they were done with that, Saki went out to get some dry twigs and sticks. When she returned, Kaname had already had a pot full of water. Saki snatched some fire in her hand from the lantern near their tent, and held it to the dry wood, that caught flame quickly.

"Here, I made this to hold the pot," Kaname set a contraption made of wood over the fire, but not close enough to catch fire, and put the pot on top of it. Soon, the water would start to boil. Kaname could've made the water boil without Saki's fire, but it would have been too quick to be believable. Ms. Tajima came around, and expected to find something to criticize them about, but found they were sitting around their campfire, boiling noodles.

"Well done, ladies," she grumbled, and stalked away. When she was out of hearing distance, they began to giggle and praise themselves.

"Have you ever wondered why we can do these things?" Kaname asked.

"All the time," Saki answered, slurping down some seasoned noodles.

"BEDTIME, YOU TWO!" Ms. Tajima came to them, failing to hide a nasty smile. She had told everyone to go to bed, but they had been talking, and hadn't heard her. They dropped their bowls, and dove into their tent, mumbling curses at their temporary guardian.

"I'm not even tired," Kaname rolled over onto her side, and propped herself up on her elbow.

"Neither am I," Saki yawned, and laughed quietly.

"Well, I guess I am a little... sleepy," Kaname's eyelids felt quite heavy, and soon plopped closed.

"'Night," Saki giggled, and shoved Kaname's shoulder, so that the younger girl fell onto her back, but still didn't awaken. Saki smiled to herself, and closed her eyes, too.

~~~

"Saki!" Kaname hissed at the fair-haired girl beside her. It seemed Saki had been asleep for only a few moments. But at the urgency in Kaname's voice, she forced herself to sit up. She had to put a hand over her eyes, since there was such a bright like shining through their tent flap. When her eyes had adjusted well enough so that she could squint out, Saki realized it was their fire. The flames were roaring, tall and broad.

"Kaname... what--?" Saki stood, and walked out of the tent. Everything around them was the same, except the fire before them. A few of the other orphans were poking their heads out of their tents, or coming towards it.

"Can't you do something?!" Kaname yelled. From the fire there was a great rushing noise, like that of a powerful tornado.

"I'm already trying!!" Saki was holding her hands close to the flickering flame. Of course she wasn't affected by the heat. "It won't... it won't obey me!"

"I'll get some water!" Kaname ran away. She could have just retrieved water from where she stood, but so many of the other kids were watching, she didn't want to risk it. When the brown-haired girl reached the shore, she heard the same rushing noise, but this sounded like waves crashing on a beach, just multiplied tenfold. She too tried to control the swishing waves, that began to rise around her ankles. Like Saki, she failed. Kaname tried to step out of the icy water, but found that the water was tugging at her feet.

The girl knew that lakes couldn't exactly have currents, since they weren't running into another larger body of water. Plus, water so shallow couldn't possibly sustain a person. So, this was strange. Several times she tried to yank her feet from the murky water, but she was just being pulled farther into the water. It was like a hand, wrapping around her limbs, and pulling her in a cyclone beneath the water.

"Saki...!" she screamed and looked at her best friend at the fire. Her eyes widened when she saw Saki being sucked into the flames as well. With that image to think about, the water finally took it's toll, and she disappeared in the turbid water of the lake.