InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Better Off Dead ❯ The 'Duel' ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I know I cut out some... and I also know that I have been wicked lazy and haven't updated *tear* but I promise you will get tons of chapters this weekend ^_^ isn't it exciting!!!!! yay!

4: The 'Duel'


"I can do it this time Miroku. I know I can." Inuyasha stared out over the treacherous hill that he had looked out at so many times before. Miroku seemed to be ignoring him while he laid on the ground and also stared out over the mountain.

"Here goes," Inuyasha took another dangerous leap off the mountain, Miroku stood up to watch him go down the mountain. He watched as Inuyasha did a rolling flop down the mountain, loosing one of his ski's and slid down, coming to a halt on a stretch of straight land.

§¤§¤

Inuyasha walked in to his house and put his ski's down in the hallway, paying no attention to where he was leaving them. He picked up a package that was on the side table which read 'how to build your own spaceship' he tossed the box aside and rolled his eyes. His brother was going to build another 'kiddy' toy that would probably incinerate anything it came in contact with; just like the laser beam he had invented before New Years. He then looked at the paper that was underneath the box, the main article was entitled "New York Man; suicide by fire," this gave Inuyasha a great idea.

"Hey Inuyasha," Inuyasha snapped out of his depressed gaze and looked around for where the voice was coming from. "I know this is odd, me being a cartoon character and all," Inuyasha looked to the TV where Barney Rubble (of the Flintstones) was looking through the screen and talking to him. Inuyasha shook his head violently as the character continued to speak, "but I was wondering if I could ask out Kikyo," with that comment Inuyasha threw the paper at the knob on the TV, shutting it off.

Inuyasha walked to his room and grabbed his comforter off his bed and dragged it into the garage. He wrapped himself in the blanket and found a glass of Kerosene. Inuyasha walked back through the house, wrapped in blankets with a tie around his head, and walked passed the dinning room. "Matches," he muttered as he tossed the cloth that was covering the Kerosene into the dinning room.

"Inuyasha," his mother grabbed him gently by the shoulder, "We have been waiting for you," she said, in a tone that somewhat represented that of which a psychiatrist would use. Inuyasha sat down at the table next to Mrs. Smith. Hojo, Kagome, and Mrs. Smith had come over for dinner, it was his mothers way of welcoming Kagome to the town.

The meal began and Inuyasha's father spoke first, "Are you enjoying your stay in our town?" Kagome shrugged her shoulders and smiled innocently. "I said, are you enjoying your stay in our town?" his voice rose, making sure she could hear him.

"Dad, she doesn't speak English." Inuyasha stated.

"I thought they had to speak English to come over here." he stated looking to Mrs. Smith for answers.

"Well, as we are discovering in our house, we don't need English to speak the international language." she started to giggle slyly at a joke only she understood. "The international language?" she asked everyone, they shook their heads and she replied, as though it were the most obvious thing, "love! The international language of love," Hojo slid Kagome's chair toward him and she cringed, barely noticeably.

"Him?" Inuyasha asked, "and her? That makes sense," his voice dripping with sarcasm. He then proceeded to take whatever concoction his mother had prepared and dump it out of his bowl onto the dinning room floor; he filled the, now empty, bowl with the Kerosene he still had from the garage.

Conversation continued to occur, but Inuyasha ignored them all. Mrs. Smith picked up the Kerosene and poured herself a glass. Drinking down most of the liquid. Inuyasha looked over to the almost empty bottle of Kerosene, as Mrs. Smith lit a cigarette.

"Mrs. Smith no!" he screamed. But it was too late, a loud explosion could be heard throughout the house.

§¤§¤§¤

"Gee, Hojo, I'm really sorry your mom blew up." Inuyasha said as he gave Hojo and Kagome a ride to school the following morning, "Doctor said she would be okay though." he added comfortingly.

Inuyasha stopped at the red light and looked over to his right, noticing that a yellow car with a speaker box attached the roof, was pulling up to him. The passengers of which were two men. He sighed heavily and immediately looked straight ahead.

One of the two in the other car began to talk over a speaker system that was hooked up to the car.

"What do they want?" Hojo asked, sitting up in his seat and talking to Inuyasha.

"They want to race," Inuyasha said plainly.

"You must obey the appropriate speed limits, the car is not a toy," Hojo stated, pointing his finger as he stated each word. Inuyasha wasn't going to race them this time, as he had done many times before. As the light turned green Kagome put her foot down hard on the gas peddle. Inuyasha tried to control the car as they sped down the road. They were cruising along quite nicely, almost winning when Inuyasha noticed a group of nuns walking across the street. Inuyasha turned the car quickly to avoid hitting any of them but ended up going over a construction zone into a puddle of mud.

Inuyasha looked over to Hojo and Kagome to make sure they were okay.

"Hojo, Hojo are you dead? Oh my god, I think he is dead. Kagome, are you okay?" he looked over to Kagome who had her face buried in her arms as she leaned over the dash board. It sounded as though she was sobbing. "Kagome, I am sorry," he didn't know what else to say. Kagome looked up and he noticed she was laughing hysterically. Hojo sat up, his glasses askew, looking shaken up; this caused Inuyasha and Kagome to laugh harder, and they fell over each other laughing as hard as they could.

§¤§¤§¤

The day went by rather slowly for Inuyasha, at lunch he sat with Kagome. They talked about random things, more Inuyasha talked and Kagome just smiled and nodded a lot. Hojo came over and made a kid move so he could sit next to Kagome, who rolled her eyes angrily as he moved closer to her. Inuyasha's lunch was ruined however when Naraku came over with his band of dim-wits. He proceeded to make fun of Inuyasha and say provocative things to Kagome in Japanese. Things along the lines of 'will you sleep with me tonight'. Kagome shook up a Coke underneath the table, and as Naraku got close to his face she opened the can, spraying his white outfit with soda. Kagome apologized, but when Naraku looked away she began to laugh.

"What is going on?" one of Naraku's buddies asked.

"I am just learning that Inuyasha's new fake girlfriend is a klutz just like him," he said angrily. Inuyasha stood up and glared at Naraku.

"You think you are so cool cause you are captain of the ski team. I could out-ski you any day of the week!"

"You think so?" Inuyasha nodded with a confidence he had never displayed.

"You chicken?" Inuyasha asked as Naraku began to walk away.

"What?"

"Anytime, from the K-12, just you and me,"

"Okay, Sunday, high noon." Naraku replied cockily and walked off with his usual trail of followers. Inuyasha sat down beside Kagome again.

"This just in," a voice came over the intercom, "Inuyasha will race Naraku this Sunday at high noon, from the K-12." Inuyasha put his head down in on the table as people came up to wish him luck and praise him for standing up to Naraku.