InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Better Things than You ❯ Fight in the Night ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha; that belongs to Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Productions.
 
A/N: Before someone gets confused, I think I need to make a note on the time line in this chapter. I'm going to say it took two weeks to a month for Kouga's ship to get where it needed to be (no, I don't know where they went—use your imagination). So that means the scenes with Inuyasha in London in this and the last chapter are happening at most three weeks behind the stuff going on in the jungle. Don't worry, he'll catch up quick.
 
Also, there will be a total Fushigi Yuugi (which I also don't own) moment in this chapter. See if you can spot it! You have been mother fucking warned for the brain rot of F Y.
 
Chapter 6
 
Kagome froze, her hand half way to her brother's. In the entrance to their tent stood a woman, tall and fierce with the backdrop of the tents burning behind her in the night. Over her shoulder was slung what could only be described as a gigantic piece of curved wood.
 
She yelled something unintelligible at them, stalking farther into the tent, eyes glowing venomously.
 
Kagome backed up to be closer to Miroku. In one smooth motion, he pushed his half-sister behind him, keeping his eyes on the intruder all the while. “We mean you no harm,” he tried to speak in soothing tones, but the woman was still stalking them. She moved in a wide half circle, slowly moving closer and closer with every pass she made.
Her eyes were dark in the dim light, but they flashed from time to time.
 
Miroku tried again, “Please? Can we talk this over?”
 
Sango paused, the slightest of creases appearing down her forehead. She tried to remember the words, unused for so long. Torturing those missionaries had only recalled the most violent and foul curses to her tongue. At the moment, she only wanted to give a warning. “I speak not with you. My home leave!”
 
Miroku sucked in a sharp breath. “You speak English?” Kouga had told him missionaries had been there before them, but he had not been expecting to hear anything intelligible from the mouths of the natives.
 
The furrows in Sango's brow deepened before they disappeared completely. She didn't have time for this! “Leaf!” She roared.
 
The two siblings exchanged looks before locking their eyes back on their attacker. Miroku took tiny, cautious glances about, looking for anything he could use as a weapon. There was really nothing in the tent—they hadn't had time to unpack before night fell. Shifting uncomfortably, Miroku felt his foot bump against something. Without thinking about it he dropped his eyes to see an unused tent pole lying on the ground. If only he could reach it…
 
Quickly he returned his eyes up to the woman prowling in front of them. Outside in the night screams could be heard along with the sounds of running feet. Running feet occasionally slowing abruptly with a heavy thud on the beach ground. The woman was watching him, and Miroku knew she had seen him find the tent pole.
 
The woman grinned, her lips dripping with malice and the thrill of the fight, and Miroku made the snap decision: it was now or never.
 
In one fluid movement he turned shot his hand out behind him, dragging Kagome to the ground with him as he moved for the pole. The girl lost her balance and sprawled out, crumpled on the floor. At the same time, Miroku grabbed up the post and half stood, only having time to grasp it in front of him to brace for the impact as the woman was already on top of him swinging her weapon.
 
XXXXXXX
 
Inuyasha left the Higurashi house with a much lighter heart but still many problems weighed on his mind. If anything happens to Kagome, it will be my fault.
 
His first instinct was to find the fastest ship to trail after Kouga, but for once he was actually thinking. Kagome might not have even made it to the ship—there was always that possibility. Something could have happened to her on the way, or she could have even mistaken Kouga's ship for another.
 
But this was Kagome…curious but cautious. She had seen the ship, she knew her way around London better than most women. There was no doubt in his mind she could have made the journey, but then there was the fact she had to go to the docks. He did not trust the sort of people she would have had to pass by.
 
Walking down the street, Inuyasha thought fast…Kagome would have been smart, she would have taken a cab, at least an omni bus. From what Mrs. Higurashi had said, Kagome had gone up stairs the moment they had returned from dropping Miroku off at his ship. Considering the fact the ship was not scheduled to leave until late that evening, Kagome would have had more than enough time to make the trip back.
 
Inuyasha made up his mind. Turning down another street, he began counting the houses until he came to one particularly peculiar Georgian terrace. As much as he didn't want to, he needed to see his brother. Sesshomaru was eccentric at best, and though he could easily afford to live in the most posh areas of London, but instead he had opted to stay in Bloomsbury. Still very respectable—Kagome's family lived there—but it was not a place for the Takahashis….
 
Then again, his brother did own the entire row of Georgian terraces, which was a strong example of the typical Takahishi luxury. Raising the knocker, he let it fall carelessly. Though he was worried about Kagome, he was no longer anxious with the prospect of seeing her. Now his task was protecting Kagome, and that was something he was good at. Or had been until Kikyou….
 
“Good morning, Mr. Takahashi,” Sesshoumaru's footman smiled as he opened the door. “What can I do for you this morning?”
 
It was strange being so welcomed in his brother's home while Kagome's mother had been so distant. You only were the direct cause for her daughter running away from home….
 
“I'd like to speak with my brother and Mr. Bankotsu.” Inuyasha smiled lightly at the servant.
 
“Allow me to show you in, Mr. Takahashi,” he said, stepping back to let Inuyasha into the house.
 
Inuyasha followed the man down a long corridor and into a brightly lit room. “Allow me to get you something, Mr. Takahashi.”
 
Inuyasha motioned he was fine, and the footman quickly left. Pacing around, he took in the subtle lavishness of his brother's home. His brother liked to intimidate his guest with his possessions: tiny but rare figurines, paintings by famous artists, Sesshoumaru's collection of ancient swords.
 
Inuyasha had little time to either inspect or be intimidated by his brother's collection of knick-knacks. There were rapid footfalls out in the hallway quickly followed by the door being thrown open. Sesshoumaru strolled in, his personal private detective on his heels. Bankotsu closed the door behind them, smirking when there was a thud out in the hallway. As the gumshoe moved to greet Inuyasha, the door to the room opened again, this time allowing a miffed Jaken, Sesshoumaru's personal assistant, to enter. The painfully short secretary shot Bankotsu a glare, but the much taller man's smile only widened.
 
Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes at the exchange. Sometimes he wondered if it was really worth all the antics keeping his staff around. Turning to his younger brother, he sighed. “What brings you here, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha had been sharing a laugh with the private detective at Jaken's expense. At the sound of his brother's voice, Inuyasha's face went solemn. “I need to ask a favor, Sesshoumaru.”
 
“Is that so, little brother? And why would you believe I am inclined to help you?” Sesshoumaru perched on the armrest of the couch opposite of where Inuyasha stood.
 
Inuyasha had been waiting for this. “It involves helping Kagome Higurashi.” If Sesshoumaru had been blessed with Inuyasha's puppy ears, they would have been standing on end: the hanyou knew he had his brother's interest. Looking over at Sesshomaru's lackeys, he lowed his voice: “This does not leave this room. You trust your men?” Inuyasha was looking pointedly at Jaken; Bankotsu he trusted with his life.
 
Sesshoumaru nodded, and Inuyasha went on. “Kagome—Ms. Higurashi—ran away from home less than a week ago.” Inuyasha didn't miss the glare Sesshoumaru directed at his words. “Her mother believes she followed her brother to the London docks and boarded a ship he was traveling on. If she made it to the ship, she is in the care of her brother. But there is always the chance she did not make it to the ship.” Inuyasha swallowed hard at the thought.
 
“And you called me and my detective to tell me this. What do you want, Inuyasha?”
 
“I—I told Kagome's mother I would go after her. I would bring her back. I need to leave now to follow her brother's ship, but I can't rule out the option she's still lost among the docks. I can't be in two places at once, Sesshoumaru. That's why I need Bankotsu. He's the best of the best, and he'll keep mum.”
 
Bankotsu gave a small bow at Inuyasha's words. It was difficult working for someone like Sesshoumaru—he was not often praised. But then having a patron like one of the Takahashis assured he would never want for work or money.
“I'm going to ask you a question Inuyasha, and depending on your answer, I'll consider your request.” Sesshoumaru said quietly. He was not looking at his brother, but out the window over Inuyasha's shoulder. The hanyou nodded. “Why do you care what happens to Ms. Higurashi?”
 
Inuyasha felt blind sighted by the question. He knew in retrospect he should have been expecting it, but the thought didn't help him in answering. “I—I…um…”
 
“You little brother are an idiot.” Sesshoumaru smirked. His balance on the armrest would have been precarious to any mortal, but for him he perched with a stiff elegance all of his own, making him only more intimidating. “I'm waiting.” No one in the room missed the mocking laugh in his voice that betrayed his stoic front.
 
“Look, this isn't for me, its for Kagome!” Inuyasha burst out. He was becoming frustrated with the Sesshoumaru toying with him. “She needs my help one way or another, and I don't feel my motivations matter,” he growled deep in his chest, challenging his brother.
 
Sesshoumaru was staring at him impassively.
 
“Fine! I just want to know she's safe!” Inuyasha blurted out, trying to say anything to make Sesshoumaru understand the urgency he felt in the matter.
 
“I know that, but why little brother is the question.” The tiniest of smirks tickled the corners of the full youkai's mouth. He enjoyed watching Inuyasha squirm.
 
Inuyasha fisted his hands into his hair in frustration. “I've screwed up enough by her…I don't want her to get hurt. Well, not again, anyways. I—fuck you Sesshoumaru! Are you going to help me or not?”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow in away, which despite his frozen features, Inuyasha knew he was laughing at him.
 
“I'll help you, but only because I have a great respect for Mr. Higurashi, and feel after your treatment of his daughter our family is in debt to him.”
 
It was no secret Sesshoumaru had looked at Inuyasha's marriage to Kagome as a business deal with the Higurashi family. Inuyasha's actions had spoiled his brother's plans and ruined a friendship: not only had Miroku and Inuyasha been close friends, but Sesshoumaru had looked on Kagome's father as something of a mentor. Mr. Higurashi had been more than happy to give advice and guidance to a young Sesshoumaru trying to manage the fortune left him by his mother, and for that the youkai had always been grateful. When Sesshoumaru heard his brother was engaged to the daughter of the Higurashi family, he had immediately put into works investment plans with Higurashi. He had seen it as a way to both repay the time and effort bestowed on him by the man and to show his mentor how much he had improved over the years.
 
But his idiot brother had ruined that. Even if it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time as Inuyasha claimed, Sesshoumaru still wanted to rip his half brother's still-beating heart from his chest…but that was for another day.
 
Some of his designs and friendship still might be salvaged if he had a hand in bringing Higurashi's beloved daughter back to him. And knowing his half brother, he was not going through this trouble out of the goodness of his heart. He had his motives as well.
 
Just so long as the hanyou's schemes did not involve a certain pale girl who had already caused too much trouble than her worth…
 
“Fine, I will help you. You have Bankotsu's services until I need them,” said detective smirked. Jaken was staring up at all three men opened mouthed, but said nothing. “When do you want him to start?”
 
Inuyasha sighed in relief at his victory. “Right now.”
 
XXXXXXXXXXXX
 
Sango fell back against the side of the tent. The roof nearly collapsed on their heads, but miracurously stayed aloft. Using the back of her and, she wiped away the blood from her busted lip and sneered. The man who was actually fighting her was good…she liked that. The boy her opponent was protecting seemed to be useless, but that was no matter. Once she had defeated the man, she could take the boy back to their camp to gather information.
 
Sango scrambled to her feet in time to meet the man's would-be blow. He was tiring, she could tell: sweat profusely dripping from his brow, breaths coming shallow and hard. Sango's face was a little flushed, her skin ever so slightly damp, but other than that she showed little evidence of their fight besides her bruised and bleeding lip.
 
With a loud cry, she pushed him backward, striking him fiercely on the head in the process and he lost his balance. For a moment, Sango was sure he would regain his feet, but instead he fell, flat on his back. He was panting, his eyes squeezed tightly together in the sweet sweet pain of knowing he had been bested. Sango knew that feeling, she had felt the same…when she had been a novice. After a moment, his head lulled to the side and she knew he was out cold. Sango licked the blood from her lip.
 
Picking her way around her fallen adversary, she stepped in front of the boy cowering in the corner of the tent. They usually only bring the thick-skinned ones, Sango mused as she approached the figure. But this one was shaking like a leaf. When Sango was just close enough to reach out and pull the little body to her, the boy turned away, his back to the warrior.
 
Just because you can't see me doesn't me I'm not going to get you. Sango smirked. She leaned down, securing the youth around the torso. The boy fought her, struggleing as Sango tried to get a hold of…his…flat…chest….
 
The warrior froze as did the boy in her arms. Sango flexed her hands feeling what could only be described as a female torso.
 
XXXXXXX
 
Kagome blushed bright red when the woman grabbed her, but she couldn't bring herself to move. Miroku was lying on the floor, bleeding, bruised, and useless. The cries from outside had quieted long ago, but Kagome found that less than comforting. She had nowhere to go, no protector.
 
Suddenly she felt herself being lifted by the underarms, turned violently around, and was face to face with a confused female combatant. “You—you,” her brow scrunched as she tried to find the words. “Woe Man?”
 
Kagome swallowed. Woe Man? What was she saying? Think, think. Woe—woman! Kagome nodded, “Yes.” She slowly moved her hands behind her head, cautiously as to not threaten her captor. Tugging out the braid she quickly undid the plait.
 
“Woman,” Kagome said slowly, motioning to the long locks of the woman in front of her before gesturing to her own long hair.
 
The warrior nodded, understanding, even smiling. Kagome felt a momentary rush of relief, which was quickly cut short when the woman picked up her pole and moved swiftly toward Miroku. Kagome practically launched herself at her brother's head, protecting his still body from the blow.
 
“No!” Kagome cried.
 
“Why?”
 
Kagome relaxed ever so slightly. She wasn't going to simply smash out Miroku's brains. Now she just had to think fast enough to keep their attacker from harming her brother. Kagome sat half way up from where she had thrown her body over Miroku's head. Carefully, she pulled his head onto her lap. “Brother,” she motioned, patting her half brother's chest. “My brother, no hurt. My brother, no hurt.”
 
The woman mulled the words over in her head, her lips repeating what Kagome had said. Finally it appeared she understood. Where did she learn English?
 
Kagome didn't really have time to ponder the question as the woman was already pulling Miroku up over her shoulder, carrying him like a sack of potatoes.
 
“Wait!” Kagome trotted after the woman who was kidnapping her brother.
 
When she reached them, Kagome tried to pull the unconscious Miroku down, but he wouldn't budge. Instead, the warrior turned to her. “You come too.” She seemed to be about to continue, but stopped. “Sango,” she motioned to herself. “Name?”
 
“K-Kagome,”
 
Sango, Kagome hoped that was her name and not some sort of torture she and Miroku were about to be subjected to, nodded. “Follow.”
 
Kagome could do nothing but follow.
 
They walked out of the tent, and Sango immediately turned, leading them away from the burning campsite and the smell of death and into the jungle.
 
XXXXXX
 
Kouga let out choking cough before rolling over onto his stomach. He was weak and beaten, but he felt lucky to be alive.
 
Something moving caught his eyes. There was Kagome, he could make out the men's clothing she always wore. She was following one of those women who carried some dark, heavy cloth over her shoulders.
 
Before he could move, the pair had disappeared into the night.
 
XXXXXXXXX
 
Inuyasha paced back and forth across the deck of Kouga's supply ship. To even be there had taken a lot of smooth talking and a lot more cash, but he was there. It would have been luck to even find out about the ship in the first place if it hadn't been for the fact Bankotsu was working for him. The man worked miracles with his network of spies, in and above the Underworld. He had found that from one of his last ports, Kouga had sent word he needed more supplies—most of them alcoholic.
 
Now Inuyasha was one the fast track to finding Kagome. Bankotsu's initial reports—the few he had made before the hanyou had left London—had pointed to Kagome having made it to the ship. Still, Inuyasha wanted to be sure. Bankotsu was to search until he was certain one way or another, or until Inuyasha sent word he had found her with Miroku.
 
Inuyasha took one last look out over the dark sea; he was tired and needed to turn in for the night. I'll be there soon Kagome.
 
XXXXXXXXXX
 
A/N: God that was a hard chapter to write! Writer's Block almost did me in. Major tweaking had to be done to get it presentable, and I'm still not really pleased with it. Still, its done so we can all move on.
 
As far as Sesshoumaru / Bankotsu, I don't think they'll be playing much of a role in the story. I wanted to just throw Inuyasha on the damn ship, but he needs to cover his bases so I used those two to tie off the lose end. I was seriously thinking of making up my one detective character because I couldn't think of any other character in the series who would be competent enough to look for Kagome except for Kagura and I want her with the Amazons.
 
When this was read through by Beatrix, she was like, “how can they fight with poles in a tent?” I'm not talking about your dad's pup tent. I want you guys to picture small circus tents. They're going to be living in them for months so one tent is larger than a good-sized room in a house with high ceilings. Keep this in mind until I do revisions to fix it.
 
The Fushigi Yuugi moment for those of you who care was when Sango felt Kagome up. Not exactly FY, but it reminded me when Miaka found out Nuriko was really a “lady”.
 
I know how I'm going to start the next chapter and what I want to happen, so hopefully I can get it out quicker!