InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ mrs. higurashi talks ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wow! I love how many reviewed the first chapter! Thank you, thank you, and thank you!
 
Disclaimer: you all know he's not mine, so stop asking! (But I wish he were!)
 
o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o
 
Last time: Gin stepped outside the door, “Kagome, I need to speak to you. And you may come and listen also, Inuyasha,” she said somberly, but still grinning from the position of the cute couple.
 
This time: Inuyasha looked down at Kagome and just saw a confused look that reflected his own. She had no idea what her mother was going to say and she naturally took the guilty defense, “but I didn't do anything mom!” Kagome whined.
 
Gin rolled her eyes and stepped back inside the house, “ did I say that you were in trouble, Kagome?” Kagome and Inuyasha followed her into the house. Gin slid back the panel around the dining room to find Ji-chan enjoying his afternoon tea. “Dad, don't you have some chores to do on the other side of the shrine grounds?” Gin asked as solemnly as she could, with a hint of something else, like a hidden meaning, in her voice.
 
“Dear, I got them all done this morning, don't you remember?” Ji-chan said, sipping some more tea.
 
Gin took out her pendant and started rubbing it, “Dad, don't you have some unfinished chores on the other side of the shrine?” She said through gritted teeth. He looked at his daughter's necklace, then to his granddaughter's confused face, then his daughter's reddening face.
 
“Nnnooo…ooohhh, ahem, I remember now,” He said with his eyes widening in realization, “Souta! Come help your Ji-chan with some chores, and then we'll get some ice-cream afterwards!” He yelled at his grandson as he sped out the front door with a broom in his hands.
 
This just confused Kagome further, what would her mother say that she would need Souta and Ji-chan out of the house for the rest of the afternoon for? Gin definitely wanted to minimize the amount of interference from others for whatever she was going to say. Would it be dangerous, or shocking, or just what?
 
Gin closed the front door after Souta and turned and went upstairs into Kagome's room. The two had no choice but to follow. She motioned for them to sit on the bed, as she looked out the window to see the men in her life reach their destination in the furthest corner of the land. Ji-chan had his grandson chopping firewood for a bonfire later that night. Gin sighed and turned to her daughter, “ I will be right back, I have to get something really quick,” she explained and left the room to go to the attic.
 
<Uh-oh, I must have really done something this time>
 
<Why am I here? This is between Kagome and her mom>
 
<Dearly departed husband, this is when I need your strength the most, our girl has grown up and I don't know what to say! > A tear slipped from Gin's face as she found the family tree scroll.
 
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
 
Gin stepped back into her daughter's room and handed her the scroll. Kagome grabbed it gingerly and looked down on it with confusion. Why did her mother want the family tree scroll in this talk?
 
Gin sat down in the desk chair and stared at her daughter, making Kagome scrunch up to try to appear smaller. The only time her mother looked at her like this was when she had accidentally broken Souta's arm in a game of tag. Gin's look was even making Inuyasha nervous. Gin sighed and smiled slightly, “ You look more like your father every day. And my baby is growing up too fast for her own good!” she sobbed after stroking her daughter's jawbone. They let Gin regain her composure before continuing.
 
Gin sighed with the occasional hiccup. “Kagome, do you remember what your heritage is?” she asked.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, “ the Higurashi family has gone back for over 400 years, when the family scroll was started and kept in the shrine,” she motioned to the scroll. “ The family has been a family of mikos for almost as long. The start of the family was an orphan and both her parents' dead. We know nothing of her history or whom she is descended from. Just that she was a powerful human as an adult…Mom, what does this have to do with me?” Kagome asked. She just got a glare from her mother. Kagome gulped and continued, “In her later years, she built Higurashi shrine to raise and pass on to her descendants. We keep this shrine upkept and in the family because of tradition and to respect our ancestors.” Kagome finished with rolling her eyes. She had recited this about a million times to her mother like her brother was currently. Kagome and Souta agreed that this was a way to torture her and her brother when they misbehaved.
 
Gin smiled slightly at how well she had memorized her history. “Good enough, Kagome, but that is only half of your heritage and history. That is my side of you, but you have no idea whatsoever of your father's side and I think you are mature enough for you to know. And your body thinks so also, with it uncovering your father's mark after these years.”
 
Kagome's hand went to the paw print on her arm as she looked at her mother. <This just gets more confusing by the minute> she thought, < and what does she mean `my father's mark,' didn't he die when I was little? >
 
Inuyasha decided to be bold and silently slid his hand around Kagome's and gave it a reassuring squeeze. Kagome squeezed back and didn't let him have his hand back. Whatever her mom was going to say, she had a feeling that Inuyasha should know also.
 
“Have you ever wondered why your earliest picture was your kindergarten one?” Gin asked straight, but with a little exasperation in her voice. Kagome shook her head no. She was always told that her family had no camera or any use for one until she started school. But as soon as she did, there was at least one picture every other week since then with the excuse “we're making up for lost time,” or “your growing up so fast and I don't want to miss a moment!” That was by far the most common.
 
Gin shed a small tear as she reached into her wallet for a picture that Kagome had never seen before. Gin handed the photo to her daughter. The picture had a small girl, about two or three, playing in a backyard portable pool. The girl had a bathing suit on and it was showing her right shoulder that had a small red paw print on it. The girl had dog-like ears on her head, like Inuyasha's, but was black instead of white. Her hair was raven-black like Kagome's, but had streaks of iridescent green and purple in it. The hair was beautiful on the girl. She was smiling and acting like a normal little girl in the picture.
 
Kagome looked up to her mother and gave the picture to Inuyasha to further inspect. <Does she think that showing me a picture of a girl that I don't even know will explain anything? I'm just more confused than before> Kagome thought, frowning slightly. Gin saw this and decided to explain.
 
“Kagome, you should know who that girl is and who she looks most like. She's from your past. Just think, who is she?” Gin asked softly, looking at Kagome's beautiful human eyes that were just clouded over with confusion. No one ever noticed but Gin, but Kagome's eyes were different than the rest of the family. They had flecks of yellow and hazel in them also, giving them a surreal luminescence.
 
“ I just want to tell you that you're more than just my only girl, but my special little one and no matter what you decide to do with your life, I will be behind you the entire time,” Gin smiled and nodded at memories of Kagome's early years of life. The girl was filled with so much innocence, so much carefree spirit. Gin rubbed her neck slightly with the stress of the situation, “I wish your father could have been here when I had to say this!” she mumbled so that Kagome could barely hear her. “The doctors said that the mark on her arm would disappear by the time she entered kindergarten, but they could do nothing about the rest of her looks. They called the mark a hemangeoma. The mark is one of heritage on her father's side. It was a demon mark for the black dog clan. Luckily, when her Ji-chan was younger, he had some powerful miko magic and sealed her powers and demonic appearance into a re-fabricated (re-made) jewel in her side. As long as the jewel was undisturbed, or at least a piece was kept in her body, she would keep her human appearance and be able to attend a normal school with human children,” Gin sighed and looked down from her daughter's face.
 
Kagome was groaning with the story that her mother was telling. What did she care the history of this little girl. Gin took the pendant and chain off her neck and handed it to Kagome. The girl looked up with her all-to-common confused gaze. Gin put the necklace on her daughter's neck, “that girl in the photo was you. You are not a complete human, Kagome.” The teenager fainted into her boyfriend and potential mate's arms. This was just a little too much for the girl to take in at once.
 
Dun-dun-dun, what happens next time? And what is Kagome's reaction? Tune in next time! X-P Dark Inu Fan