InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ Taijiya Kashisu ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know I haven't updated in a long time and here's my pathetic excuse: I had a cold and the reality of high school has finally caught up with me and my mom is in school also. Bad isn't it? Well, here's chapter lucky 13!
 
Disclaimer: inu no mine, you know sue.
 
Chapter 13: Taijiya Kashisu
 
Last time: “And if I have won this round, we have to get going so the trail doesn't get cold.” Inuyasha gestured to the shrine stairs (yeah, all 70 million of them. No wonder Kagome and Souta were in great shape at the beginning of the show).
 
“Fine!” Kagome spit out as they raced down the stairs.
 
This time: “ok, this is your turn. If you get off track, I'll correct you. And you have their scents memorized even if you didn't know it. Now, take a deep breath through your nose and pick out your step-dad's…”
 
Kagome started growling, “I prefer you not call him my step-father.” She bit out through her teeth.
 
“Fine, pick out Kashisu's and Souta's scent.” Kagome did as she was told, closing her eyes to concentrate.
 
“That way,” Kagome said in a monotone voice, pointing north out of Tokyo. She had sounded so remarkably like Kikyo that Inuyasha had to do a double take. It was also the shortest route out into the country. Inuyasha nodded, so far, so good.
 
“Hop on,” Inuyasha offered his back to ride.
 
“No,” Kagome answered almost immediately.
 
Inuyasha was shocked, “no?”
 
“No,” Kagome affirmed.
 
“I… ah… why?” he wasn't used to the whole `Kagome can take care of herself now' thing yet.
 
“I know this city better than you, and I can also run just as fast as you now,” Kagome ticked off on her fingertips. Inuyasha was shocked. Not only shocked, but skewered and burned rotisserie style. Kagome saw that in his eyes, “but I don't have your endurance, you can carry me back home if you want,” Kagome gave a reassuring smile to seal the promise. Inuyasha nodded reluctantly and Kagome took off.
 
They soon found out that Kashisu had a black truck to match his name (his name means black current if you have to know). It stood out relatively well, considering it was about the only ford in Japan. “I didn't know that he lived this far out of tow. Souta said that he was only just on the outskirts,” Kagome said after they had traveled a good twenty km (personally, I use miles, but most of you guys don't). Once they got out into the wooded area, Kagome and Inuyasha ran parallel to the truck under the cover of the trees.
 
“What, getting tired?” Inuyasha smirked; he wasn't even breathing heavy yet.
 
“Ha! You wish!” (Translation from stubborn hanyou to human: yes, extremely. But I don't want to admit it to you so I would look like a weakling. (Does this bit of a stunt remind you of someone?)) And she sped up about a kilometer to rest in a tree for a minute.
 
Thirty kilometers later, they came to a private area hidden in the woods by a natural tree wall (they had grown together). The couple jumped just high enough to see through the foliage. They lost sight of Souta and Kashisu for a minute, but soon found them near one of the traditional-looking huts. Souta was changed into a black taiji-ya's outfit with dark blue armor. While Kashisu's armor looked the color of dried blood.
 
“A modern-day slayer's village! I didn't think it was possible,” Kagome whispered, careful not to catch any of the villager's attention. Inuyasha only dared to nod as they settled in to watch what Souta was doing down there.
 
“Boy! Come here!” Kashisu barked, eyeing him disdainfully, “you've gone soft, boy, you haven't been practicing this year, have you?” he towered over the ten-year-old boy that still managed to keep his dignity.
 
“N-no sir” Souta stuttered, trying a weak salute.
 
Kashisu managed to hold his anger just under his skin, “and why haven't you been training?”
 
“Kag… the hanyou,” Souta winced at the verbal error, “hasn't been at the shrine for the past year. She found the portal well and has been able to travel…”Kashisu's hand struck Souta's face, cutting off his sentence and promising a bruise later.
 
Kagome was about to jump down until Inuyasha grabbed her arm, “do you want us to get killed?!?” he hissed in her ear.
 
“Let's at least see what you managed to retain from last year. Come at me boy!” at that, Souta only hesitated a millisecond before attempting a head-butt. Kashisu easily sidestepped and did a chop on his back, causing Souta to eat a mouthful of dirt.
 
“You're lacking and there's no excuse!” Kashisu tried to plant his foot on Souta's back, but he rolled into a standing defensive position just in time. Souta blocked a roundhouse with his arms and his hands started glowing.
 
Inuyasha noticed Souta's increased speed and now the glowing hands, # is gin really telling the truth that he's full human? # Inuyasha thought, casting a side-glance at Kagome; who was paying attention like it was a sporting event.
 
Kashisu started laughing at his son's reaction, “'bout time, boy, that you got warmed up.” Souta took a deep breath and let the purple glow swirl up his arms.
 
“Yeah, yeah, take your precious time now, but your going to have to learn to do that instantly once you start fighting the real abominations. They won't wait for you to warm up, you'd be DEAD!” he tried to punch Souta in the face, but he easily dodged, singeing off Kashisu's arm hair.
 
Inuyasha turned to Kagome, his face showing the unspoken question of `how did he do that?' Kagome let out a silent sigh and jumped into the woods with Inuyasha following. Some of the villagers looked up at the sudden rustle of branches, shrugging it off as some bird or squirrel.
 
They were a mile away from the camp before Kagome dared to make any noise. “I can do the same thing since I was his age. That's one of the only reasons why I even met you. `Cause if I didn't know how to do that, mistress centipede would have killed me in the bone-eater's well,” Kagome explained as calmly as she could.
 
“Then how come you never helped in battle?” Inuyasha was priming up for an argument.
 
“Because… you never let me. All you expected was for me to have Kikyo's powers and abilities. You would keep saying that I was a weak human who could easily be killed. There were so many times that I wanted to show you, but you kept acting blind. And even if I wanted to, it's like when you turn demon. It's a last resort for me and I keep trying to do it, but I can't.” Kagome gave Inuyasha a death glare and started running the direction of Tokyo.
 
“But I have SAVED YOUR LIFE BEFORE!” she called over her shoulder to the hanyou just starting to catch up. Inuyasha caught up and tackled Kagome from behind so he could look her in the face.
 
They rolled a couple of feet, “when?” Inuyasha was surprised by Kagome's statement, but wouldn't say so out loud. They locked eyes before Kagome tried to squirm out of his grasp.
 
“It was before even Shippou joined us. When Sesshomaru decided to spray me with the acid, you and Myoga thought that it was the sward, but it was all me. I distracted Sesshomaru just in time for him not to behead you!” Kagome struggled out of Inuyasha's hold while he temporarily loosened his grasp while he digested the fact.
 
“Then how can your brother do that in the first place?” he asked again.
 
Kagome sighed, “he's had more practice than me with his dad, but nobody really knows how our family got the powers in the first place. One theory is that the woman who built the shrine was given demon powers by her demon caregiver. Another is that we have very diluted demon blood… and my favorite story is that we are descended from Kamis. But no one really knows for sure.” Kagome shrugged and started running the same general direction as before.
 
Inuyasha followed, seeing that Kagome had finally started to show her fatigue, “are you sure they're demon powers?” he asked, swinging Kagome onto his back.
 
“I can still run Inuyasha!” Kagome gave his hair a slight tug to accent every syllable, “and yes, I'm positive. There are 500-year-old scrolls talking about it. And what's interesting is that they're written in youkai. How many beings know how to how to write in youkai?” Kagome asked, waving her hands around just enough to prove her point and not lose her balance on Inuyasha's back.
 
We live 500 years in the past, how do you know that one of didn't write that scroll?” Inuyasha queried, rubbing his abused scalp.
 
“Because it doesn't talk about the jewel shards at all. Just a girl that keeps being called `my Higurashi.' That's how we got the name by the way. I'll show you the scroll once we get home,” Kagome said like it was obvious.
 
“How do you know that it's written in youkai and not some other strange language? And can you even read it?” the scroll had peaked his interest, only royal youkai knew how to write it correctly and still be legible. Inuyasha wasn't that bad at reading both youkai and human, but couldn't write it that well compared to human kanji.
 
“Ji-chan taught it to me. He may be senile, but he was very stern about my lessons,” Kagome grinned at the memory of her tied to a brush and a chair as well as being bribed with her favorite treats. “He was so stubborn, that I learned how to write youkai fluently before even starting school.”
 
Inuyasha skidded to a stop, nearly tossing Kagome over his head, “you can actually write it?” he asked with bulging eyes. That was a shock because the kanji were very complicated and if not done correctly, would be illegible. Good thing Kagome couldn't see his face, but she could smell the disbelief radiating off him.
 
“Yes, can't you?” Kagome adjusted herself so she could see the side of his face.
 
“N-no, I never got the chance to learn correctly. And Haha-oya (mother, not in her presence. Then it would be okaa-san) was only human, so she taught me human kanji,” Inuyasha whispered, not wanting to announce his lack of knowledge to the world.
 
Kagome smiled sweetly and hugged Inuyasha lightly from her position on his back, “I may be a bit rusty, but I can show you enough to get by,” Kagome offered.
 
Inuyasha nodded and took a giant leap onto the treetops. Kagome gasped and ten claw-shaped holes into the shoulder of his haori. # Owe! Owe-owe-owe-ow! I thought her fingernails were hard enough before, but her claws are worse! Now we're going south, lets see how Kagome does with directions # “test number two: how do we get home?” Inuyasha asked, balancing Kagome on a branch that would support both their weights.
 
“Umm… I…” Kagome looked around, trying to see any clue of Tokyo.
 
“You're doing it wrong already. First things first, what direction are we facing? Look at the position of the sun if you need help,” Inuyasha turned her head with both his hands to face due south.
 
“Umm?” Kagome was born a city girl, she hadn't been taught this ever, mostly because she never went camping in the “modern” times.
 
“Ok, fine. I know I should have taught you this a long time ago, but here it is: the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Its not hard to remember, I use the reminder that Sesshomaru will be the fall of the western kingdom,” Inuyasha and Kagome couldn't help but grin at the thought, and Kagome silently committed it to memory.
 
“Ok,” Kagome said hesitantly.
 
“and it's early afternoon now…”
 
“yes”
 
“so… what direction are we facing?” Inuyasha asked, hoping that his little lesson was actually working.
 
“umm…” he was ready with an exasperated sigh.
 
“south?” Kagome answered with complete confusion in her eyes.
 
Inuyasha swallowed his sigh with relief, “is that a question or an answer?” he asked, sounding like one of Kagome's past math teachers.
 
Kagome took a deep breath and tried to pock up Tokyo's main scent: pollution with a splash of carbon monoxide. What all major cities would smell like Kagome and Inuyasha would eventually find out. The scent stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison to the deep woods that they were in now. “Tokyo's that way, isn't it?” Inuyasha nodded at his `student' and offered his back to ride. She accepted reluctantly and they were back on the road again, so to say.
 
“hey, Inuyasha,” Kagome said, her breath tickling Inuyasha's cheek.
 
“hmm,” he acknowledged, not slowing down at all.
 
“you said it was early afternoon right?” she asked, looking up at the trees covering their sight of the blue sky.
 
“yes,” Inuyasha responded, trying to think of how to test Kagome next.
 
“we haven't had lunch today… so I was thinking… how about me taking you to WacDanlds? (Japanese version of McDonalds)”
 
“what's that some sort of demon or something?” Inuyasha asked skeptical of the unfamiliar word.
 
Kagome grinned, a plan forming in her head, “no, it's a restaurant. A place where your food is made for you. How about you teach me how to survive in your time, and I'll show you how to live in my time without getting killed, deal?” Inuyasha was shocked by Kagome's choice of words describing her time, but nodded all the same.
 
The truth was, he was distracted by memories of his past experiences in her strange world and sped up slightly as if to run away from what Kagome called `cars'. If they wanted to get home before dark, he would have to run fast. A comfortable silence was met as they mentally prepared their lesson plans for each other. Inuyasha thought of things like swordsmanship and hunting while Kagome thought of dancing and learning how to cook something beside ramen. Let's face it, both of them were hungry because they didn't get to eat for the better part of the day.
 
Kagome spoke up again once they entered Tokyo, “I have to get my money before we go, and hats, we don't want to stand out.” Kajima eyed the red fabric beneath her, “and maybe you should change into some clothes from my time.” At that, Inuyasha tensed, he remembered last time that he was stuffed into something called a school uniform. That experience was so stiff, that he could barely walk.
 
Kagome saw his shoulders tense and she started working them, “don't worry, I think mom got you better clothes this time,” she said, remembering his school uniform ruination. “ at least they were cheaper than regular clothes.” Kagome looked up just in time to see Inuyasha land right in front of a car to take his next leap, “ahh! Inuyasha look out! Stick to the roofs please! Anyway, trust me, she's best friends with the sales clerk by now. And she knows your size now,” her attempts were in vain as Inuyasha took two bounds to clear the Torii gates at the top of the steps.
 
“I'm not wearing that you-nee-form again!” Inuyasha said, stumbling over the word slightly.
 
“I know. And its spring break anyway. No one in their right mind would wear one this week. I'm just wondering what mom bought you,” Kagome slid down his back and let the way to the back door to the kitchen.
 
They didn't even notice a startled Ji-chan pulling out fake oufdas as they were distracted by what Inuyasha's outfit would be. # I hope its something like those guys on `bikes.' Kagome said that they were in a `motorcycle gang' whatever that is. # Inuyasha thought, envisioning himself in black leather silver-studded chaps and a leather jacket. Kagome, in turn, envisioned Inuyasha with a hair cut in Inu's clothes from her dream: a red polo shirt and a pair of tan slacks. (do you guys see the connection now?!?)
 
Their feet led them past Gin and through the kitchen to Kagome's room. “did you two have any lunch while you were out?” was the question left hanging in the air as the two teens left the room.
 
Kagome went straight to her closet to look for her long-unused purse buried under survival gear for Feudal Japan. Inuyasha flopped down on the bed and closed his eyes, letting his ears do all the work. He heard Gin walk up the stairs and stop at the door to watch her daughter. “MOM!!!” Kagome yelled loud enough for Gin to hear- if she was downstairs and out on the shrine grounds- not just outside of her room. Inuyasha flinched violently at the sudden noise and flattened his ears.
 
“What is it sweetie?” Gin asked softly, dodging various survival objects that Kagome was throwing out of her closet. Kagome abruptly stopped and looked out the miniature room, not expecting her mother to be so close so fast.
 
“Oi, Kagome! Use your ears next time, she was just outside the door!” Inuyasha yelled back, slowly relaxing again from his battle ready position on the bed.
 
“Thank you Inuyasha. Now, what do you want honey?” Gin said, walking into the closet with Kagome (yes! She has a walk-in! a smaller walk-in, but a walk-in nonetheless! (at least in my story) I WANT ONE!) careful that she didn't step on anything.
 
“mom, do you know where my purse is?” Kagome gave the most hopeless look she could muster and gin grinned.
 
“do you mean this purse Kagome-dear?” Gin reached behind Kagome's head to a hanging blue purse and put it in her daughter's hands.
 
“ah. Hehehe…thanks mom,” Kagome said, bowing her head in a submissive behavior.
 
Inuyasha peeked into the closet and saw some clothes on hangers that were definitely not Kagome's. and from the few and far-between times that he had actually been able to see in the closet, those clothes weren't there before. Inuyasha grabbed a red T-shirt and held it up to read. He was unfamiliar with the kanji, so he held it for Kagome to read, “oi Kagome! It think this is one of the shirts that your mom got me.”
 
Kagome and Gin turned around to face the hanyou and the shirt that he was holding up. The two women cracked identical grins as Gin patted Kagome on the shoulder, “I leave you to get Inuyasha dressed. I picked some shirts that I thought would be appropriate and some loose jeans. Have fun you two!” at that, Gin left to do some work around the house.
 
If possible, Kagome was redder than Inuyasha's haori after she read the kanji: “I don't bow to anyone!” And in smaller print: “except my girlfriend. Please don't hit me!” # that's my mom for ya # Kagome thought as she grabbed the shirt and hung it back up.
 
She went through nearly all of the shirts until she found one that said dog vs. dog in gray with two bulldogs standing on top of the kanji facing each other and snarling. Kagome held up the blue shirt and pretended to eye it for a fit. Kagome also handed Inuyasha a pair of baggy black jeans and a belt. Behind the shirts, Kagome found her father's black leather jacket that Gin apparently wanted Inuyasha to wear to complete the look. Kagome pointed the way to the bathroom for Inuyasha to change.
 
After about twenty minutes and more cursing than Kagome thought Inuyasha knew, he came out and held his arms out for Kagome to approve. Kagome nodded in approval and showed off her outfit also. She was wearing a light blue peasant blouse and blue jeans that were ripped at the ends. A sky pattern bandanna hid her ears. Inuyasha nodded also and led the way downstairs.
 
Gin looked up as the young couple entered the kitchen, Inuyasha rubbing his wrist where the sleeve was elastic. She nodded in approval as she handed Inuyasha a baseball cap and waving them out the door.
 
“Dare I say, we almost look like a normal human couple,” Kagome laughed lightly as she readjusted her purse strap so it was in front of her.
 
“normal? This is normal for your time?” Inuyasha asked, slumping to try to blend in with the crowd, but still stood out with his shocking white hair that reflected the light blue of his shirt slightly.
 
“yeah, I know what you mean. After spending so much time with you and the others, I don't really feel like I fit in either. WacDanlds is just down the street and, hopefully, we won't run into anyone from school,” Kagome set her lips in a grim line and turned the corner to the restaurant.
 
The rest of the trip was uneventful. Kagome ordered a chicken salad and Inuyasha ordered a Big Wac (Big Mac (a.k.a. big whack. Yeah, from Kagome later)). They left without anything major and then Kagome turned the corner straight into a familiar boy's chest.
 
“Hey Higurashi! are you feeling any better from your aids episode? Are you sure you should be out of bed?” came an all too familiar voice from Hojo.
 
Kagome started hearing a subtle growling from her date…
 
What will happen next? I don't know even.
 
If you know any other hanyou Kagome stories, please tell me.
 
Kagome is going to get a weapon in one of the future chapters from Inuyasha, I'm thinking of calling it Suki Tessen. It means iron-ribbed fan of love. If you have any better ideas, please tell me. (or at least a better name!)
 
Please review! Dark Inu Fan