InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ kagome's new clothes ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

To all my readers that got confused and/or concerned last chapter: Inuyasha and Kagome are NOT related. What Sesshomaru did was a demonic version of a formal adoption. All that really happened is that she was given enough demon blood to give her and all of her descendents protection and an added element to her scent that tells other youkai that she's protected by a powerful youkai (fluffy). And if that powerful youkai is not present, she has a power now that is like energy claws. Now that that's out of the way, lets get on with the story!
 
PS: if anyone ever brings up the idea of Rin and Sesshomaru becoming mates, I will personally kill of all characters in the battle with Naraku and end this story! That's like you marrying your parents! Can you say eww?
 
Disclaimer: like the flame of my favorite candle melts the wax, it melts my chances of owning Inuyasha. (and I don't even have the movie! Wah!)
 
Chapter 15: Kagome's new clothes
 
Last time: “I guess you'll have a classmate after all.” The look on Inuyasha and Shippou's face's were identical: mortified.
 
This time: they had been on the road for two days now going towards the south-west lands on Kagome's idea of attempting to see what her father was like 500 years before she was even born. “is this right Kagome-okaa-san?” Shippou asked, holding up a piece of paper with the kit's attempts at his own name all over it. She mentally thanked her mother for packing a ream of blank paper in her backpack as she pulled the kit into her lap.
 
“which one are you talking about?” she asked as Shippou pointed out the characters in the lower corner that were still wet. Kagome looked closely and then grinned #finally # she thought as she patted him on the head. “that's correct. Now, do you know your title at all?” Shippou shook his head no. Kagome looked him up and down and finally looked at his eyes. “we can change that. I recently learned a spell that would let me adopt you on demon terms. Do you know what it is?”
 
“do you mean the sharing of blood? isn't that dangerous for you since your only half-demon?” Shippou asked, looking up at his mother. Kagome looked up at Inuyasha, mentally pleading for help from the older hanyou (yeah, he's older. Kagome's turning 16 and I think Inuyasha is about… oh…1,016 years old. How I'm thinking about this is once hanyous reach puberty (about 16), their aging slows to about 500 human years is 1 hanyou year. And 1,000 human years is one youkai year. So Sesshomaru is about 4,020 years old.).
 
Inuyasha jumped down from the branch he was sitting on to stand by Kagome, “its even dangerous for demons. It can be fatal if not done on the night that they are most powerful. And if my math is correct, two halves equals a whole,” Inuyasha nodded down at the kit, hinting at his approval for the adoption. “now, since your so curious at what I've been lugging around the past couple of days and I know that you've been all over it,” Inuyasha tapped his nose, “bring the package over here and give it to Kagome.”
 
This peaked everyone's curiosity as Sango looked up from her ramen cup and Miroku forgot about groping the eating woman, his hand hovering in mid-air. “yes Inuyasha, what is in that package that you insist on carrying?” he asked, narrowing his eyes slightly.
 
“Keh,” Inuyasha said as he lifted Shippou and the package, that was twice as big as him, and carried them the last five meters across camp to be dropped unceremoniously in Kagome's lap. “happy birthday,” he said as he sat Indian-style against the tree to watch Kagome tentatively open the huge bundle wrapped in brown cloth.
 
The brown dropped away to show a bright green and orange pile in the firelight. Kagome fingered the cloth and picked up the top to show a stylized women's haori with orange flowers edging the sleeves and neckline. Everyone's (except Inuyasha's) jaw dropped at the jacket. Shippou reached out halfway to the clothing before drawing his hand back and looking to his adoptive father for permission. Inuyasha gave a short nod and Shippou jumped onto Kagome's arm to admire the cloth better. “its so pretty Kagome-okaa-san! Why don't you try it on! It's so soft and smooth!” Kagome smiled and mentally agreed with her son.
 
“lightening moth silk, put it on and we start your training tomorrow. Your clothes may be normal in your time, but, as you say, they stick out like a sore thumb here,” He said as monotonic as he could, sounding scarily like his older brother Sesshomaru.
 
Speaking of Sesshomaru…
 
He hadn't moved for the past two days, # she should have been up by now, perhaps her body is rejecting the spell? # though it didn't show physically, Sesshomaru was worried about his daughter. He had sent all of his servants away from Rin's wing of the castle so they wouldn't know anything amiss until he publicly announced the adoption.
 
Sesshomaru turned away from his paperwork as he heard the sound of Rin's breathing change pattern to show that she would wake up soon. “Kowashi (little eagle), go to the kitchens and have the servants prepare a meal for Rin.” He ordered Rin's personal servant, the only one allowed into Rin's wing this whole time. The first time that Sesshomaru had brought Rin to his castle, he went through his mental roster of all his faithful servants and picked Kowashi. She was very protective of whatever she was put in charge of and, unlike other youkai, loved humans. And the eagle-demon was about Rin's height so they were comfortable around each other.
 
“do you want anything Sesshomaru-sama?” the demoness asked, bowing in the doorway before leaving.
 
“some green tea with sake mixed in. the kitchen servants know what I mean.” He said, inwardly groaning at the letters that he had to finish by the end of the week to the lesser lords of the west. Kowashi bowed herself out and ran to the kitchens.
 
Sesshomaru watched the servant leave then slouched over to touch his forehead on the edge of Rin's four poster bed (I know, I know, how western of a bedroom it is to have a four poster bed. I DON'T CARE!). Good thing he didn't wear his metal armor around the castle, or bending over Rin's bed would have been impossible. Sesshomaru could feel a headache coming on because of having to do so much paperwork in his spare time. The reason he went on `patrol' so much was because he did everything he could to get away from the dreaded parchments.
 
A small hand slid over the covers and patted Sesshomaru on the head. “what's the matter Sesshomaru-sama?” came a voice, jolting the relatively young lord out of his thoughts. His head shot up to look at his charge-turned-daughter.
 
He got a stranglehold on his facial features before responding, “did you sleep well Rin?” not the best response in the world to the 10-year-old, but typical Sesshomaru.
 
“oh, yes Sesshomaru-sama! Rin had a weird dream though. Rin had turned demon and had pretty white hair like Sesshomaru-sama! Rin had claws and they glowed blue! It was so pretty! And then a strange lady in green showed up and told Rin that she would be very powerful and that the lady was one of Rin's de-desombance…”
 
“descendents,” the lord corrected.
 
“yeah that! And then the lady showed Rin a pretty temple and a family that lived there. There was a little boy holding a rice cutter, an old priest, the strange lady, and… and the pretty lady in the small kimono that travels with Inuyasha!” they both turned thoughtful at that.
 
# why would Inuyasha's wench be in Rin's dream? And who were the others? # Sesshomaru thought before Kowashi interrupted by opening the shoji screen and placing a platter of food and a brewing teakettle on the low table that was currently covered with paperwork.
 
She looked at Sesshomaru-sama for permission to speak, he nodded and the servant girl went up to Rin and started talking faster than most people could understand. “oh, I was so worried! You were asleep for two whole days and I thought that you'd never wake up! Don't ever scare me like that again Rin!” Kowashi gave the girl a hug and placed a platter of food beside the bed. “you must be hungry now, so eat!”
 
Rin nodded hungrily and grabbed her bowl of rice soup, Sesshomaru grabbed his tea/sake and turned back to his paperwork. # oh, goody. I guess I have to invite Inuyasha since he is prince of the western lands # Sesshomaru thought sourly. Inuyasha had not been present for the last 55 years for the spring ball and it was required for all the royalty in the west to attend at least every 50 years to find out what had been happening. # and for that, I need more sake #
 
With inu and co.
 
“umm… Lady Kagome? Why are we going west? I thought that was Sesshomaru-sama's lands,” Miroku asked from his place by the fire, nursing a goose egg that had `mysteriously' appeared on his head when he stood up to `use the little boy's bush' soon after Kagome went into the bushes to change into her new clothes.
 
“they're not Sesshomaru's lands, they belong to the black dog clan. And since I never got to know my father before he died, I'm going to find out if I can meet him when he was 500 years younger. Umm… Sango, can you help me with this tie?” Sango stood up and went into the bush, but not before giving Miroku a warning glare that promised a slow death.
 
“your black dog? Who's your father?” Sango asked, straightening out the back of Kagome's pants.
 
“ah… would you believe me if I told you I was heir to the southwest throne?” Kagome shrunk back, trying to seem like a small rock.
 
“your dad's Reichou!?!” Sango practically screamed.
 
Kagome covered her ears and whimpered in pain at being in such a close range to her nearly-hyperventilating friend. She was sure that her ears were bleeding and she could hear the faint thump of her mate-to-be falling out of the tree in pain, “ yes, now, please be quiet. I think you just reduced my hearing to a human's now. Oww!”
 
Sango's eyes lit up with worry for her sister/friend as she bent to check on her huddled position. “I'm so sorry Kagome, I forgot about your ears,” Sango reached out to try to soothe the ringing appendages, “Where did you find out about your chichi-oya?”
 
“my mom told me when I grabbed my pack before we left. I wanted to check out the lands for jewels before, but this is just another excuse, I guess.” Kagome gave an awkward grin as she stood up, “and since the BOYS CAN HEAR US ALREADY, we can go back into camp and show off my new clothes.” Kagome called, giving them a hidden warning before parting the bushes that were hiding them from the male eyes.
 
Sango followed Kagome into the firelight just in time to see Miroku settle back into his previous seat and she narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Kagome held her arms up for the boys to inspect the clothes and did a small turn. Shippou's eyes were as big a saucers as he jumped onto Kagome's shoulder to approve the fit and wouldn't shut up about it. Miroku's jaw was slackened, and Inuyasha stood up to inspect Rumiko's handiwork. He tugged here and there to inspect the fit (nowhere inappropriate, you perverts!) and after a strained minute he nodded and went to sit back down. All he verbalized was a “good”, but his eyes were going along the line of: “that is the hottest thing that you've ever worn and I hope that you appreciate this armor. the other males better know your mine stay away from you or I will have to tear them limb from limb.”
 
The orange flowers picked up the glow of the fire and seemed to sway on an unseen breeze every time Kagome moved. “ there's a skirt and an obi to match and make it a formal kimono when we get to your dad's fortress. You should check to see if it fits also,” Inuyasha held up the wrap and belt and a smaller piece of cloth fell out of the folds.
 
“what's this?” Kagome asked as she held up the mysterious cloth that had fallen out. It was forest green and blue mini haori that looked like it would fit Shippou. And there was a note attached to it:
 
“Dear Inuyasha-sama, (Inuyasha cringed and blushed at the title) the little kit, Shippou, interested me. From the way you talked about him, it sounded like you and Kagome-hime would adopt him soon. And if there is one tradition that I hope you follow, it would be giving the adoptee a new set of adoption clothing. This clothing is like yours and will grow with him. Please inform me when this happens as well as the other ceremonies. Love Rumiko-san”
 
Kagome read the letter out loud and send Inuyasha a suspicious glance as if to ask who Rumiko was and what was she talking about. Inuyasha flushed and held his hands in a defensive manner, “Rumiko was my youkai nanny when I was growing up, that's all. she made my clothes when I was younger, and I went to her for your clothes also!” Inuyasha was shrinking back and preparing for a sitting.
 
After a minute, Inuyasha looked up at Kagome to see her smiling, “next time we see her, I'll have to thank her.” Inuyasha let out his breath and slumped down against the tree. Kagome grabbed the obi and skirt and went into the bush to check her change of clothes.
 
The change looked like a one-piece kimono and the obi hid the separation between the two. The skirt had flowers on the bottom half ranging from red to orange to yellow with the same green background as the top. And the obi was orange with green leaves to contrast the kimono. Kagome showed the pack briefly and changed back into her pants.
 
She plopped down next to Inuyasha and stared into the flames. Miroku decided to speak after the spell of silence, “Kagome-hime, you look beautiful in your armor and I hope that you will forgive me for not having a gift for you.”
 
“you don't have to call me princess, its like Inuyasha being called lord, its just creepy and I'm not used to it. And its fine that you don't have a present for me, you all traveling with me is a gift enough.” Kagome smiled and observed her small pack. # wait a minute! Pack? Where did that come from? # Kagome took another look around, # I guess that's right. its small, for now, but will have to do. # she leaned up to Inuyasha and he started subconsciously untangling her hair. Shippou curled up on her lap and she closed her eyes, a dog-like purr resounding throughout her chest.
 
Inuyasha stopped for a second, pinpointing the new sound. With noticing Kagome making the mothering sound, he moved his claws to her ears and the furthest away from Shippou that he could and still touching Kagome. He knew from experience that when females went into this mode, they were aware of every movement around her pup, if not anything else, and wouldn't let anything touch them while they slept. # great. I'm stuck and if I try to move, I'll get torn to shreds # “ Kagome, Kagome? Can you move to your sleeping bag so…” # I hope this works # “…Shippou won't get cold.”
 
Kagome cracked an eye open and let loose a jaw-cracking yawn, “If you say so. Do you want to sleep with us or get a blanket?” Kagome mumbled, crawling over to her backpack and unrolling her sleeping bag all while holding the drowsy kit with one hand. Inuyasha didn't even get the chance to respond as Kagome crawled into the bag and fell back to sleep, tucking Shippou into her front.
 
Inuyasha sighed and nodded for the others to follow suit. He grabbed a red felt blanket and packed Shippou's new set of clothes into Kagome's pack in its place. He remembered that Gin had given Inuyasha the blanket during `Christmas', whatever that was, and told him that it would keep him warm. The truth was, Gin had sewn Kagome's pillowcase into the edges so it would smell like her all the time and it helped Inuyasha sleep sometimes.
 
A hand reached for his ankle as he passed Kagome's sleeping form, “G'ni' (goodnight) Inu,” came her sleeping voice as he looked down. She drew her hand back and Inuyasha drew his claws through her hair in response. Tonight he would sleep on the ground with the rest, but only after the others went to sleep.
 
“good night Inuyasha,” Miroku said as he cast one last glance at his someday prize and put his head down. Sango rolled her eyes at the monk and said the same thing.
 
Inuyasha nodded and jumped into the tree above Kagome with the red blanket. Staring up into the stars reminded him of a story his mother had told him when he was little:
 
(now for a Lion King moment! And no, I don't own them later)
 
“Inuyasha, did you know that your father is up there? In the stars?” Iyazoi asked, holding her young son close so he wouldn't get cold on his human night.
 
“where mamma? Can he see me?” the young boy in red asked, following his mother's pointing finger with his eyes.
 
“yes he can see you, all the time, so don't do anything bad or he'll have to punish you. And he's up there in that group of stars. If you use your imagination, you can see him biting into a snake demon and killing it.” She pointed out the shapes and after a while Inuyasha could see it too. “ your never alone in this world, we'll always be there for you, in spirit or holding you tight,” Iyazoi gave the boy a quick squeeze,
 
“God loves you
go to him
he loves you
repent of sin
he loves you
you know he does
with all his heart
so ask him in
and never part
you'll go to the stars
and see him there
welcoming you in
ask him in, believe that your daddy died for you
and you'll live for ever, in the stars
go to the Lord
he'll always love you
no matter what you do
no matter what you've done go to him
repent all sin, (any)
accept him into your heart
and you will never part
he loves you, now love him in return
your daddy really did die for you, he really did rise from the dead
he really is the perfect and final sacrifice for sin, if you repent”
 
“that's such a pretty song Inu,” Kagome mumbled in her sleep and knocked him out of the memory, the boy hadn't even noticed that he was singing out loud. Inuyasha let out one of his unguarded smiles and looked up into the moon, # tomorrow's the half moon, I hope your prepared Kagome # Inuyasha warned mentally and settled into sleep.
 
THANK YOU FOR THE POEM FIRST-CHAIR-FLUTE! I LOVED IT! Sorry for changing it a little bit, but I wanted to use it and have it make sense to Inuyasha, he doesn't exactly know who Jesus is. And if anyone wants to check the original out, go to my reviews chapter 1(might be chapter 2) or e-mail me.
 
It's late at night and doesn't it show in this chapter? Sorry for the wait because I really didn't feel like righting this chapter. Reichou is Kagome's biological father and we will meet him eventually. His name means leader with miraculous powers and it fits him well. I will update sooner if you review and give me suggestions!