InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ demon day part I ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thanks to all my reviewers! I have over 240 reviews! I've been making my All Hollows' Eve costume and so I'm typing in a kimono right now. And it's surprisingly comfortable! Its teal with midnight blue edging. The only things I can complain about are the sleeves. They get caught on everything! Well, that's all I really have to say right now, so read on!
 
Disclaimer: I own a candle and a set of sewing needles, that's it!
 
Chapter 16: demon day part I.
 
Last time: “that's such a pretty song Inu,” Kagome mumbled in her sleep and knocked him out of the memory, the boy hadn't even noticed that he was singing out loud. Inuyasha let out one of his unguarded smiles and looked up into the moon, # tomorrow's the half moon, I hope your prepared Kagome # Inuyasha warned mentally and settled into sleep.
 
This time: “Lady Sango, wake up! Lady Sango?” Miroku whispered, shaking the young taijiya awake. The only response that he got was a hand weakly swatting his away from her shoulder. For once, he was the first one awake in the morning and he felt that Sango should see the position of their hanyou friends. # please don't kill me for this and wake them up # he prayed to whatever gods were up at this hour and placed one hand on Sango's mouth and the other on her, ahem, other end.
 
= rub =
 
Sango was just getting to the good part of the dream and was mere inches from kissing…
 
= rub =
 
“mfokofuf kef fyouef femm homsch osf mei aah!” Sango screamed through Miroku's hand and sat straight up. (for those who really want to know: Miroku get your damn hands off my ass!) Miroku's eyes went wide as he used his offending hand to make the universal quieting symbol. He looked over at the couple and let out his held breath at them still sleeping. Miroku looked Sango in the eye and pointed at the hanyous.
 
Sango looked at Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippou and awed. “I would have sworn that Inuyasha went to sleep up in the tree last night!” Sango whispered, getting an ear flick from Inuyasha, who was luckily still asleep.
 
“true, he was in the tree above lady Kagome when we went to bed last night. His blanket is still up there. But do you notice anything different with lady Kagome, Sango?” Miroku asked, going to Kagome's pack to get the tools for breakfast out.
 
“her inu ears are gone! Is she human?” Sango asked, covering her mouth with her shock. Miroku looked up from re-starting the fire and gave her the quiet symbol again.
 
“no, her ears are pointed. She is demon.” Miroku said as solemnly as he could. Sango moved closer to take a better look as Miroku poured some water in a pot to make `oatmeal' as Kagome called it. Sango got as close as two meters before Kagome reacted.
 
Kagome, who was still asleep, pulled Shippou closer and pulled back into Inuyasha's arms, who in turn, pulled Kagome closer. Inuyasha cracked a golden eye open and looked through Kagome's hair at Sango. He growled slightly as a warning and dug his nose into Kagome's neck in a calming fashion. Sango nodded slightly and backed off to sit just out of reach of Miroku's roving hands. Inuyasha closed his eyes and went back to sleep.
 
Miroku, who had watched the whole episode, decided to comment, “I would suggest not doing that again while they're asleep. That was just a warning and next time you could get hurt.”
 
“I know that was a warning. But, do you think she's sane like this? I mean when Inuyasha…” Sango trailed off, it was a painful subject for all of them, especially Inuyasha.
 
“let us hope so, Sango my dear,” Miroku said, giving the soupy breakfast a stir.
 
Inuyasha's nose twitched, and again. He had been awakened by the others talking, no matter how quiet it had been, and now he smelled breakfast. Oatmeal. How Kagome liked the stuff, he never knew. He opened his eyes slowly, taking in the morning air. Wait a minute! there was a new smell near the camp that smelled of juniper incense. Inuyasha sniffed again and remembered: Kagome turned full demon during the day today! This must be her demonic scent. Nice. “she'd better be sane like this, or I'll need some help. And how Kagome likes that oatmeal crap for breakfast I don't know.” Inuyasha tried to pull himself away from Kagome's back, but found himself stuck by Kagome's clawed hand holding his.
 
Miroku and Sango were surprised at Inuyasha's morning mood and chuckled at his predicament. “I would imagine, Inuyasha, that you have to wake up Lady Kagome if you want to move at all this morning,” Miroku commented, knowing he was safe for the time being. Inuyasha tried to pull himself out of Kagome's grasp before just settling for giving the houshi a glare that would promise death if he kept talking.
 
“feh… Kagome, you have to get up now,” no response, # time to pull out the big swards (in our time its big guns) # “oden.” The others looked up bewildered as Inuyasha shrugged and mouthed `her favorite food.'
 
Kagome, who had been awake the whole time, turned to Inuyasha and gave a loud snort that would hopefully prove that she was still `asleep.' “that's oatmeal, Inuyasha, that Miroku's making, not oden,” she mumbled, smirking mentally and laughing her head off (in her head, they just thought that she was talking in her sleep). That `hopefully sane' comment had really hurt her and she wanted to prove that she was still herself, only with a demon body, without having to confront them. Hopefully the sleep-mumbling helped.
 
“fine, its oatmeal. Just let me up!” Inuyasha hissed in her ear. Kagome gave a fake growl and opened her eyes a little, keeping up the `you woke me up and you'll pay later' act. Inuyasha smirked and tugged his hands, signaling for her to let go. Kagome gave an identical smirk and held on tighter. Well, two can play at that game. Inuyasha stood straight up, dragging Kagome up with him.
 
“hey! That's not fair!” Kagome yelled, finally letting go and sitting against the boy's legs. Shippou looked up rubbing his eyes and oblivious from the whole situation. All he really registered is that he had been rolled from the warmth of Kagome's body and sleeping bag. Kagome looked down to see the kit give a jaw-cracking yawn. “sorry Shippou, Inuyasha decided to pull me out of bed this morning,” Kagome explained, putting emphasis on the word pull.
 
“now Inuyasha, do you really want to tempt Lady Kagome today?” Miroku asked, handing out the bowls of oatmeal.
 
“yes, I want to see how well she can fight without any training before I start training her,” Inuyasha commented, sickly gagging down the tan crap.
 
Kagome's eyes were a light shade of pink behind the whites of her eyes, “I can still hear you. Thank you very much. And I've had training before. You've just never let me show you before. `never judge a book by its cover' is what haha-oya (mother) says all the time,” Kagome downed her oatmeal and glared at the two humans, “and that sane comment, was that really necessary?” Kagome rinsed out her bowl and grabbed her hairbrush.
 
“what sane comment?” that was obviously before he had woken up.
 
Miroku opened his mouth, but Kagome interjected, “But, do you think she's sane like this? I mean when Inuyasha… is what Sango said. I didn't catch the very end, but you get my point. They don't trust me right now and I understand what they're talking about. We're all wary of each other's uncontrollable characteristics.” Kagome looked at Miroku and Sango in turn, bringing up their individual `weaknesses.' Miroku his Kazaana (more like his wondering hand), and Sango her feelings for her puppet brother. Inuyasha, who sat behind Kagome, also looked down at his memories, or lack there of, of turning demon.
 
“so…” Shippou started, trying to break the unbearable silence within the group, “why are you demon Kagome-kaa-san?” Shippou winced, preparing for the worse.
 
Kagome laughed and pulled Shippou into her lap, “I guess Inuyasha and I didn't tell you guys about this, did we?” She paused a second and answered her rhetorical question, “one of the last times that we went back, Inuyasha asked my mom if I had a human night or what. She said that I had a demon day instead. In fact, all day I'll be like this and tonight I'll be in my `true form' whatever that will look like. Ebbing or swelling of demonic powers, what I'm thinking, depends on what side of the hanyou is dominant. With Inuyasha, it's his human side. And with me, it's my demonic side because I have more than half of my blood that's demonic. In fact, one of my ancestors was adopted by a demon by the formal adoption ceremony and had (has now) demon blood in her. Its not much, but just enough to make it the dominant side.”
 
Miroku nodded, “that makes sense, Lady Kagome, but what would make Inuyasha's human blood dominant?”
 
“I don't know…”
 
“I'll tell you, monk. Its because my old man died before he could do the acknowledgement ceremony. So as far as the demonic court cares, I'm the bastard son of one of his ningen (human) concubines. Are you happy now?” Inuyasha folded his hands and put on his stone facade, but Kagome could see the trace amount of moisture around his eyes.
 
“oh, sorry Inuyasha. I didn't know.” Miroku said, looking anywhere except for the red-clad hanyou.
 
“and you, Kagome-chan? Were you acknowledged?” Sango blurted out before her mind could register what she was asking.
 
Kagome looked up, “I don't know. I never really got to know my real dad that much. Kashisu kind of drowned out all of his memories,” Kagome sighed and Inuyasha winced sympathetically. Then his eyes lit up as she dug for something in his haori. Kagome saw the corner of a photograph and immediately tackled Inuyasha for it. “you're not going to show them! I won't let you!” Inuyasha grinned and pulled the photograph out while rolling around on the ground trying to get the demoness off himself.
 
The others looked amused and sat back for the show. Shippou was jumping up and down, rooting for Inuyasha for once. His kitsune curiosity getting the better of him, he wanted to see what Kagome didn't want anyone to. Kagome spared a glance to Shippou and that's all Inuyasha needed to win the tussle and pin her facedown to the ground with his legs pinning her arms on either side. Inuyasha held up the picture and called Shippou over, :: good pup.:: “look at this and give it to the others.” Shippou was shocked by the compliment and took the picture in a daze. He looked up at the hanyou to receive a tell-the-others-what-I-said-and-die look. Shippou nodded and looked at the photograph of a young hanyou Kagome with mud in her hair and sitting in a baby pool filled with water, grinning the cheekiest grin ever. Shippou looked up at the pinned Kagome and saw the complete opposite: her eyes were pinkish and a growl was emanating from her throat.
 
“Inuyasha you'd better let me up now! I don't know which picture you have Shippou, but you'd better not…” Shippou handed the picture to Miroku, hearing the warning a little too late. “show…the…others,” Kagome groaned and planted her face into the mud, unconsciously copying the photo in real life.
 
“I have more pictures if you want to see them!” Inuyasha practically crowed with delight, fishing out one of the smaller albums that Gin had given him. The others smirked evilly and thought one thing: blackmail. “and with your `proof of previous training' just proves that you do need training, Kagome,” he said, releasing one of Kagome's arms, which immediately went to try to get Inuyasha's butt of her back. Inuyasha caught her claw mere inches from his…legs… and pinned it back onto the ground. “now Kagome :: mate:: do you think I would be nice to you if you did that to me?” Inuyasha asked with a bit of humor in his voice to cover up the slightly higher pitch at the close call. Miroku gave some dry `ha's' in sympathy.
 
Kagome's head shot up at the soft bark that Inuyasha had given. Somehow she had understood it. :: mate?:: she barked back, not really noticing the stares they were getting from the humans.
 
“yes, on demon terms. And no on human terms. As far as the lesser youkai understand. I protect you, you show me loyalty, and you are a fertile female, thus mine” Inuyasha said simply, holding his chin up in a dominant manner. Kagome blushed bright red at the last part, but this was hidden by the mud on her cheeks.
 
Shippou, who understood the canine-youkai, nodded, “but she isn't able to have pups currently because she already has a young one to take care of,” Shippou said confidently.
 
“who? You? Ha! You're not that young. In fact I could take her now if I wanted to! She's available to have another, adopted or not,” Inuyasha retorted. The humans were just getting the gist of the subject and they were blushing sympathetically at Kagome, who was currently competing with Inuyasha's haori for the redder object.
 
“umm… guys?” Kagome squeaked, hoping to catch their attention before something regrettable happened.
 
“the pack is small and we need more numbers!” Inuyasha elevated his voice and gestured with his hands, forgetting why his hands where there in the first place.
 
# okay, he's starting to sound like Koga, time to get up # Kagome flipped onto her back to stare up at the male and glared, a growl starting in her chest and getting louder. The sound finally reached Inuyasha's ears and he gulped. He knew that face all-to-well. It was the famous demonic version of the run-or-get-sat face.
 
“Inuyasha,” she started off, emphasizing every syllable, “if you ever want to see daylight again, get off me now,” she ended up with a venomously-sweet smile. Inuyasha went pale enough to compete with Sesshomaru's complexion and started to stand up. Apparently not fast enough for Kagome, “SIT! I'M NOT INVISIBLE YOU KNOW! SIT!”
 
Kagome, unfortunately, ended up under Inuyasha. Who, in turn, was put into a good foot-deep hole. “come on, the show's over and we need to pack up for the day. I believe that Kagome and Inuyasha have some important things to… discuss,” Miroku said standing up. Good thing the two couldn't hear anything underground, or Miroku would be dead meat.
 
5 minutes later.
 
“are you sure that they're okay? I mean, the spell should have worn out by now,” Shippou asked, standing over the hole down at Inuyasha's back.
 
“I'm sure they are fine Shippou. But they must be having a very good conversation for it to be lasting this long,” Miroku said suggestively, receiving a punch on the shoulder from Sango. He had seen exactly how the two had landed before they were buried.
 
Underground with the not-so-happy couple
 
# it's been over five minutes! He should have been able to lift his body off mine by now! # Kagome thought suspiciously. She was seriously considering how they landed was a part of why Inuyasha hadn't moved for the whole time to resist the spell. They were head-to-head and body-to-body, and trying anything would stir up unnecessary instincts for the two. For one, their lips were touching. Was that what they would consider their first kiss? Gods, she hoped not. And also, Kagome was in the submissive position. “Inuyasha?” she mumbled, trying to get the boy's attention.
 
“what?” he breathed against her lips, cracking his eyes open to look at the trapped female. He was trying his hardest to not provoke anything while the spell was active and he wouldn't be able to escape.
 
“try to get up, I think the spell's gone,” Kagome mumbled onto his silky-soft lips, “and run if you feel you need to,” she added as an afterthought to get them both out of trouble.
 
Run! That's all he wanted to do at the moment: get away from Kagome as fast as possible before something happened and cool off. Inuyasha nodded enough for Kagome to feel and jumped straight up out of the hole. He sprinted all the way to the next clearing before stopping. There he fell down into the grass, trying all his might to flush out Kagome's intoxicating scent from his pallet.
 
A minute later, Kagome sat up from the co-ed hole and groaned. “so, did you and Inuyasha have an interesting conversation down there?” Miroku asked, snuffing out the fire with a bucket of water. Kagome turned her head at the monk and gave him a murderous look and jumped in a tree upwind of the campsite for the same reason Inuyasha was smelling grass (the green stuff, not marijuana!).
 
With Inuyasha
 
He looked up at the clouds, remembering what training he had, when he noticed a smallish cloud flying directly towards him. He watched it stop directly above him and dissipate, dropping a scroll onto his head. “oi!” Inuyasha rubbed his head and picked up the scroll that was now lying beside him in the grass. “this had better be good Sesshomaru,” he mumbled as he propped himself up on one elbow to read it. The only time his half-brother sent a youki (demon energy) messenger was when he had to and was because of political issues. Each youkai (demon) had a different type of messenger, it's just that the silver dog clan had cloud messengers that seemed to disappear as soon as it's job was finished. Inuyasha used his index claw to break the silver seal of the silver-inu clan and unraveled the parchment:
 
Prince Inuyasha, second son of Inu-no-Taisho, of the western lands: you are cordially invited to the annual royal youkai ball. The day is the third day of the moon. Bring a representative/escort if you wish. No more than one additional guest. Reigning Lord Sesshomaru, first son of Inu-no-Taisho, of the Western Lands
 
And there was a scrolled note at the bottom:
 
You're required to come, willingly or not, this year. Show up a day early because you would not like me to have to hunt you down. Sesshomaru
 
“oh, yes. Such a fun character, my brother. And I think I'll follow his example and get some sake and tea like the scroll smells like. We both need it,” he groaned, rolling into his stomach to stand up to go back to camp. Yes, he couldn't read much youkai kanji, but formal invitations didn't exactly need to be read thoroughly to be understood. The smell of the ink was usually enough.
 
At camp
 
“lady Sango, did you notice anything else about Lady Kagome as she got out of the hole?” Miroku asked, sitting against a tree, waiting for the han-Inu's to get back from where ever they went.
 
“I can hear you perfectly fine, Miroku. So what else did you notice about me?” Kagome looked down from her hidden spot in the tree. Her new clothing blended perfectly well with the background so she was virtually invisible except for the orange flowers.
 
Miroku paled slightly and looked across the clearing to where he thought Kagome was, “I was just going to comment that you have such a lovely tail right now… =smack! = … not like that Lady Sango, I was not commenting her butt currently… =smack = …I'm saying that lady Kagome really has a tail today, in this form,” Miroku was wincing and hoping his cheeks would not swell up at the two red handprints on his face from Sango.
 
# open mouth, insert foot, Miroku # Kagome thought as she looked down. And there it was: a black, furry appendage coming from her tailbone region. The tip of the black thing twitched and Kagome couldn't help but smile. She grabbed it and pulled it up onto her lap. Yep, it was connected to her posterior alright. She ran her hand along the direction of her tail to feel its silkiness.
 
Mud. There was mud on her tail from the fight with Inuyasha earlier. NO! THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE! How could he keep his silver hairs so freakishly white and clean, and she would have dirt clods on her tail from five minutes of movement! Kagome groaned and jumped down from the tree to retrieve her hairbrush to help with the task of removing mud.
 
“oh! Kagome-okaa-san, your tail's so pretty!” Shippou said, jumping onto her leg to get a closer look. The tip, hanging straight, just barely reached her ankles.
 
“thank you Shippou, but =twitch = it's a little dirty right now. So before Inuyasha comes back and insists that we start moving, I'm going to get some of the dirt out of it.” Kagome sat down, careful of her tail, on the ground and pulled the relatively volume-less tail onto her lap (she has long tail hair, its just straight, and so no fluff like Sesshy and Shippou yet).
 
“can I help you Kagome-kaa-san?” Shippou asked as an afterthought after already starting at the tip and moving up. Kagome nodded, thankful for the extra help and somehow comforted at the help from the young pack-member.
 
This is the scene that Inuyasha came upon, Shippou showing respect to the alpha-female by helping groom and Miroku's hand heading to Sango, who was polishing her sward, and succeeding. The resounding smack of HiraiKotsu vs. skull didn't even make the group flinch anymore after almost a year of it happening daily. Inuyasha called Kagome before tossing the rolled-up scroll at her to look over. Kagome didn't even look up from her grooming to catch the scroll.
 
“what's this?” Kagome asked, looking up at Inuyasha and putting her hairbrush down after a few last futile swipes. She could smell a hint of sake and the herbs put into the ink that would make it say `official document, do not touch.'
 
“an invitation. I have to go to the castle in two weeks and make an official appearance at the annual spring ball. You're coming with me,” Inuyasha squatted down beside Kagome as she read through the notice, “you'll help me with the reply tonight. Right now, we start with your training, c'mon,” Inuyasha grabbed Kagome's upper arm and dragged her of to the clearing that Inuyasha had been in earlier.
 
Whatcha think? This will be my first multi-part chapter sequence. I think demon day will be about 3-4 chapters long, so I hope I don't bore you. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to listen. Plus, I need help to figure out what Kagome's daddy is like. Remember, he's