InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ heat ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Marks chapter 28
 
Sorry for such a long time for not updating, but when I found out that the disc that I thought had all of my work from over the summer had nothing but… nothing on it, I was completely bummed. I had practically no motivation, but one of my `flamers' that I supposedly should call her brought me out of my daze. I guess this is for her.
 
Last time: “lets go, before you decide to stay the entire day,” Inuyasha motioned, leaving Kagome to take a final look at the solarium.
 
This time: it had been a couple of days since they had left the `safe grounds' and now the two humans and two demons had arrived at the village that they had come to know as home.
 
“Do you think that lady Kagome and Inuyasha have made it back yet?” Miroku asked, looking out from where he was sitting on the hill.
 
“I don't know, Houshi, but it has been more than three days since they left. Kagome said that they would be there two days, so it might take them another day to show if they walk,” Sango was polishing her hirakotsu a few paces out of reach.
 
Kilala looked up from where she was napping between the two humans and looked at the bushes with her head tilted and her ears foreword.
 
“Inuyasha stop that! It tickles!” came a yell from the bushes, along with a crashing sound.
 
“Momma!” Shippou came screeching past the humans and into the bush.
 
“Speak of the demons…”
 
“And I was just starting to like the quiet…”
 
“They're back!” they said at the same time, standing up to meet the missing members of the group. Surprisingly, they didn't have to go far, but to watch the missing couple literally roll out of the bushes with Inuyasha on top.
 
“It does? Then how about—“
 
“I'm glad that you're back Kagome!” Sango didn't want to know what the end of Inuyasha's sentence was.
 
Kagome's head snapped back to look at an upside-down Sango, “oh, hello.” She grinned, struggling out from under Inuyasha, “I guess we're back before I thought we would be. We have to talk about something important first though.” Inuyasha groaned longingly and the couple both sobered, “but lets take a bath first, okay?” Kagome gave a grin and swayed her hips before heading to the springs.
 
“I'm going to get you for that, wench!” Inuyasha grumbled, stalking to Kaede's hut, but not before grabbing the front of Miroku's robes so he couldn't follow the girls.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“I've heard of that, but I'm even more surprised that you haven't taken her yet. This shows great restraint on your part.” Miroku commented, closing his eyes and leaning back in Kaede's hut.
 
“And I won't until I've mated her, pervert. That's the problem, I don't want any filthy hands on her! We've already been attacked once because of it!”
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“And then the bear demon attacked, foaming at the mouth and all. It was so disgusting and it demanded that it wanted me! Not the shards, me! It didn't get too far though before Inuyasha incinerated it. And he didn't even use the fang!” Kagome exclaimed, splashing around in the springs to emphasize her point.
 
“You know that they're going to keep attacking as long as this is going on, right? And it'll get worse the longer it goes, also.” Sango leaned on a boulder as she used some soap and a hand towel.
 
“Inuyasha told me that demon heat was longer and less frequent than human heat, but how long will I be running away from every male that I come across?”
 
“Well, I don't know, but it's a good guess to say about two weeks. Since youkai heat is an entire month, twice a year. And the average would be about two weeks on and two months in between. Lucky you?” Sango shrugged and offered to scrub Kagome's back with the soapy towel.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“It would be best for ye to ward Kagome until this spell is over. Like ye were when ye had the injury though your gut, Inuyasha.” Kaede suggested, coming in from her duties around the village.
 
“True, and it would minimize risk of you losing to your instincts also Inuyasha.” Miroku dodged the bowl that was thrown at him from the irate hanyou.
 
“I don't…!” Inuyasha let his retort drop with a `feh.'
 
“Wasn't that thing smashed last time I looked?” Inuyasha asked, remembering the oni attack that `set him free.'
 
“The villagers repaired it in thanks to ye, Inuyasha. It is well stalked for ye group's use, as well as any passing traveler also.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, “I'll tell Kagome as soon as they get back from their bath. It's for the best.”
 
“For the best,” Miroku agreed, picking up the bowl that had luckily not shattered upon impact and ladled some stew into it.
 
“What's for the best?” Kagome pushed aside the curtain and sat down next to Inuyasha.
 
“We're going to lock you up until your heat cycle is over.” Inuyasha explained blandly, causing the others to balk.
 
“Oh.” Kagome leaned against Inuyasha, causing him to sweat a little, “where did you come up with that idea?” her voice was less than pleased.
 
“It was when Sesshomaru put his hand though Inuyasha's gut and you were trapped in your time because Inuyasha put a tree down the well,” Shippou explained in one breath.
 
“And am I going to be tied up like a pig also?” yes, they had told her what they had to do to Inuyasha.
 
“I do not think that would be wise to do, lady Kagome, but I do suggest that Inuyasha is not allowed into the hut during the time you are in it.” Miroku denied, inching toward Sango.
 
“I will stay with Kagome. That way it would lesson the amount of risk and help if anything comes up.” Sango volunteered, packing her small shoulder bag for the stay.
 
“What, am I invisible?” Kagome mumbled to herself, unconsciously rubbing up against Inuyasha before closing her eyes.
 
“No, you are not, lady Kagome, but either way you are going into the hut for the remainder of the time of your…” Miroku turned red from embarrassment, finally completely comprehending the situation.
 
“Heat.” Sango gave the boys a dry look. “Shippou, are you going to keep Kagome company also?” the boy nodded enthusiastically and jumped to Kagome's head.
 
“Yay! This can be our week together! We can play the entire time, it'll be fun momma!” Shippou bounced from head to lap and gave a huge grin.
 
“Yes it will Shippou, but it might get boring after a while though,” Kagome warned the kit.
 
“Lady Kagome, we should use the remaining light of the day to get your palace ready for you to stay in, don't you agree?” Miroku asked, standing up and gesturing to go outside.
 
Kagome nodded and stood up, realizing a moment later that Inuyasha's hand was attached to her hip ::stay:: he whuffed, trying to pull her back down.
 
“This isn't a good idea Inuyasha. What would my mom say?” that froze Inuyasha in his tracks. Sure, she wanted grandpups, but she had also made it very clear not before her 18th birthday. Damn, two more years before anything could happen, two more years of this torture.
 
Inuyasha let go of her waist and looked into the corner. “Go then. I'll come when they put the wards up.” He stood up and left, presumably to the Goshinboku.
 
“… And on that lovely note, we should go also!” Miroku smiled nervously and pushed aside the door mat for the girls. Kagome nodded forlornly and exited, leaving the humans to give each other some weak comfort before a barrier separated them for at least a week. You see: Inuyasha and Kagome weren't the only ones that used this time off for personal relationships to bloom.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“It's… homey.” Kagome sat down on the nearest pile of hey and sighed. The hut was small and didn't have any windows. Indeed, it was a storage hut, nothing special to it. At least there was a sliding door that was wooden, so the wards would hold off at least a little better than if there was no door.
 
The interior was nothing more special than the outside: hay on either side of the entrance, a shelf with some provisions, and a partitioned wall to separate it into a front and a back room. At least it was bigger than when Inuyasha stayed in it the last time.
 
“Look at it this way: at least you're not some bear demon's mate now!” Sango attempted some humor while spreading out some rough blankets to make a pair of futons from the hey.
 
Kagome shivered, “thank Kami! That would have ruined everything!” Kagome laid down on one of the `futon' and looked at the ceiling, “with Inuyasha asking to court me and everything at Sesshoumaru's, it would have just defeated the purpose of accepting.”
 
“You're being courted?” Sango gasped, “it's about time!” Kagome nodded and took out the dagger that was attached to her sash. “Wow, a gift and everything! When'd he find the time to get that anyway?”
 
“I don't know, but it's pretty anyway.” Kagome blushed and put it away. “Oh, you can pass the wards, right?” Sango nodded, “good. Then I can take a nap and you can go off with Miroku if you want.”
 
Now it was Sango's turn to blush, “I… we're…”
 
“I see the way he looks at you. Go ahead, it's not like I can stop you.” Kagome grinned and pushed Sango toward the door, “if you're worried about me, I have Shippou to protect me.”
 
“That's right! I can protect momma!” Shippou puffed up his chest from where he was on the shelf and struck a pose. Both girls gave a small smile.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“No way! I'm not going on another wild-goose chase for you!”
 
This was how the more… demonic members of the Reiki Tantei found Yusuke: standing in front of Koenma's desk with his hands pinning helpless papers to the young ruler's desk.
 
“Just hear me out Yusuke, it is important that you find the jewel and retrieve it from whoever is possessing it now!” Koenma sucked on his royal blue pacifier furiously, “and besides, it's a liability and is very dangerous in Ningenkai if it falls into the wrong hands.”
 
Yusuke lowered his head to the toddler's height; “my cou… whoever is guarding the jewel shards now is doing a better job than you could. If these two,” Yusuke nodded his head to acknowledge Kurama and Hiei, “could break into your vault, just imagine how easy it would be for someone more powerful to get in!”
 
Koenma looked shocked—sure the security had been upped since then—but Yusuke was correct. The guardian had managed to hide its aura for a while now. “And it's currently shattered, if you're planning on wasting precious time on gathering all the pieces, don't involve me in it!” Yusuke was practically fuming by now and a certain `high-and-mighty' was wishing he were invisible.
 
“All I want you to do is scout out who this `protector' is and make sure he's doing a good job. And if not, bring him back here so we can convince him to leave the jewel…” Koenma paled considerably, “WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHATTERED?!?” he yelled, almost losing grip on his pacifier.
 
“Shattered. Ka-boom. Hit with a hamaya and scattered all over feudal Japan, that's what I mean. Sure, I'll check out where she lives, if only to see how she's doing.” With that, Yusuke left to go back to his date with Keiko; oh, joy. He looked over his shoulder to the two demons, “tomorrow's a Monday, ditch class and meet me at eight.”
 
A silent question passed between them and Kurama shrugged, “the teachers won't miss me, I've turned in all my assignments for the week.” Hiei nodded only once and left in a burst of speed to… wherever he spent his nights.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“How was your date?” Kagome asked though a yawn. She had slept though the entirety of the afternoon and was definitely quite awake now… at least as awake as one can be after just waking up.
 
“What date, there wasn't any date!” Sango stuttered like a teenager that was just caught coming in after curfew.
 
“Mm-hmm,” Kagome gave Sango a knowing look. “And I suppose that red spot on your neck is just a rash.” Sango blushed and pulled her yukata shut more. Kagome went over to Shippou's little territory and started putting crayons back into the box, “I guess I need to get more crayons when I get back. How was Shippou while we were gone?”
 
Sango bent down to organize some papers that were also scattered around. “Depressed. I don't know about before I came, but Shippou's always been with one of you two as long as I've known. He missed you a lot.”
 
“I know. He didn't say anything, but I think he may be afraid to lose us like he lost his parents to the Thunder brothers. I'm sorry that I seem a bit tired, but I haven't slept that well since we've been gone. I think Inuyasha explained that it was that the scent was different without you guys, and I was worried about my pup.” Kagome picked up Shippou gently and held him close.
 
“Yeah,” Sango nodded, “I think we all felt a little off kilter.” Sango took the other futon and lied down.
 
“Hey, you didn't tell me: what's the deal with the markings?” Kagome smiled softly and absently tried in vain to rub off the makeup.
 
“It's demon makeup. You saw Inuyasha's also, right? Well, they're clan markings from what I can tell. They'll fade by the end of the month for Inuyasha, but we don't know how long it'll take for mine to fade. I just hope it's soon!” Kagome stuck out her tongue and laughed.
 
“Hey, you!” a shout came from outside, “get out of here!”
 
“Where is it?” came the gruff reply, “give me the woman!”
 
“She's mine you peabrain!” that was definitely Inuyasha.
 
“What is it this time?” Kagome asked, watching Sango change into her fighting uniform.
 
“It looks like a boar demon,” Sango commented, sliding the door open a crack, “and an ugly one at that!”
 
Kagome cringed, “are you going out?”
 
“Only if I have to, but Inuyasha seems a little peeved. I wouldn't want to be in that demon's tunic!” a strangled type of screech resonated though the air before all was silent. “Well, that was easy, but Inuyasha didn't have to go that far…” Sango fell silent before turning green and shutting the door.
 
“That bad huh? And Inuyasha is probably doing the same thing that he did last time.”
 
“He did that last time also?” Sango really did look sick.
 
“Yeah and then he—“
 
“Oh, Kami!” Sango peeked out the door again.
 
“Why don't you go to bed before you get sick, okay?” Sango nodded and weaved her way to her futon, collapsing on it drunkenly.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
“Hey Inuyasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Have you ever had cake before?” it had been several days and the couple had found a way around the wards.
 
“No, what's cake?” Inuyasha asked back through the wall. They had found a knothole and they were sitting on their respective sides of the wards.
 
“It's like sweet bread. You have it when you're celebrating something. When we get back, I'll bake you one to celebrate our anniversary, alright?” Kagome was leaning against the wall doing her homework that was still due even if she had been turned into a hanyou or not.
 
“Okay. How's the runt doing?”
 
“Okay. He's doing pretty good on his writing, but I think Sango or Miroku probably taught him some.”
 
“What would they know about youkai writing?”
 
“Spy work, diplomatic work, it's just something you pick up when you're involved with youkai all the time I guess.”
 
“Yeah, Sango sending her enemy a note of apology before slaying them!” Sango and Miroku had gone out and they were apparently out of hearing range because there was no retort from said Taijiya.
 
“That's not that funny, ya' know.” Kagome drawled, turning a page in her algebra book.
 
“Then what would the monk need with youkai language?” Inuyasha was sure she would be stumped with this one.
 
“The diplomatic work. And studying old texts I guess. There are no accounts of demons in my time because none of it's in any human language. Anything that was about demons is considered a fairy tale. Miroku's probably learned about demon history out of demon books, thus needed to learn the youkai language.” Kagome felt relatively smug with her answer.
 
“…Hey, Inuyasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Do you think momma is worried about me by now? I mean, it's been almost a month and I haven't gone home yet.”
 
“I visited your mom when we got back. She was happy that you are uninjured.”
 
Kagome laughed lightly and looked at her arm, “then you didn't tell her about—“
 
“No, it'll be healed by the time she sees you. Besides, she'll have my hair if I would tell her.” Kagome snorted as a vision of a bald Inuyasha passed her eyes.
 
“What's so funny wench?” Inuyasha growled out.
 
“You—you with no hair!” Kagome burst out laughing and started rolling on the floor.
 
“What's the matter momma?” Shippou asked, peering over the hey pile to where Kagome was.
 
“N—nothing sweetie. I was just thinking of something funny. Have you finished your work yet?” Kagome was referring to the page of youkai that she had written out for him to work on reading and copying.
 
“No, but I'm almost done!”
 
“That's good. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask me.” If she didn't know any better, she would have said that Shippou had grown a few inches while they were gone, but that was ridiculous. How could something grow that fast in such a short amount of time?
 
“I think Shippou's getting taller, we should really plan on doing the adoption soon. Don't you think so?”
 
“The full moon is coming up, so I would be the one to go first if you want me to. Or you could go first to give him less human blood just in case.”
 
“It would probably be best to have me go first, and then you. I don't know how he would react to the human blood since he's full kitsune.” Kagome mumbled, lowering her voice so Shippou wouldn't overhear.
 
“But mating would give us both human and demon nights, so we should wait until then…”
 
“Momma did say no grandbabies until I was 18, but she didn't say anything about mating. We'll just have to be careful then,” Inuyasha was speechless, “…that is, unless you do want to wait.”
 
“Would you?… I mean… we should wait like Sango and Miroku, right?”
 
“Not like Sango and Miroku, but we should wait at least a little while. We still need to collect jewel shards, and I have to finish high school—if I can—and then there's also Naraku to consider…”
 
“He has been very quiet, hasn't he? What's that bastard up to now?”
 
“And with Naraku still out there, it would be best to adopt Shippou. And thus the circle starts again.” Kagome sighed and Inuyasha groaned in agreement.
 
“So… you want to do it before we get mated?”
 
“I… I guess so. It would really be the best for Shippou after all.” Shippou smiled quietly, he would finally have parents again.
 
()()()()()()()()()
 
And thus comes and goes another chapter. I'm sorry for such a bad one and the long wait that made it even worse. I guess after 8 months, you get a bit rusty. You're wondering about that middle portion, going `what the heck?' right? Well, I did say (and hint) that this would be a crossover, I just didn't have the right place to put it until now!
 
Dark