InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ Avalon ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

School's started, I have a 3-day weekend, and I'm hoping to get this done in…5 hours. Totally and highly improbable, but I'll try.
Chapter 33: Avalon
Last time: An island? Kagome sighed and turned toward the boardwalk that would lead her to, hopefully, solid ground. As if her nerves weren't enough already, she was alone with no way to escape yet again. What fate did `they' have in store once she finally met them?
Taking a deep breath, Kagome stepped forward hesitantly, almost expecting something to grab her ankle or something. After a few steps, she let out her breath and it seemed to clear the fog also. What was revealed beyond was not what she expected: her own home. A smile split her face as she ran forward, almost tripping on a loose stone. Skipping slightly, she looked down at what she had tripped over in curiosity and screamed in horror.
A body.
A body she knew.
Covered in blood and mangled to almost beyond comprehension…
(o)
It was slightly damp that morning. And with that, came the rare strain that was Kurama's vanity. He looked into the mirror with a frown marring his features. The humidity in the air was doing murder to his hair and instead of looking like a red main, was looking like a reddish cotton-ball like when he was a child before his thievery career. Short of doing some serious straightening for his hair, it was unbearably unruly. With a sigh, he dug out a dark blue scrunchie that he had bought `for his girlfriend' several years ago when his hair was still short…er. One high ponytail and matching dark blue and tan outfit that reminded him of his childhood clothing later, he headed out the door to meet the others at the train station to go back to the shrine that they had been repeatedly going to. Suspiciously enough, Kuwabara agreed that this was the shrine that they were looking for and not to search any more.
“You're late!” Yusuke yelled, watching the train that they usually took leave. Kurama shrugged apologetically and Yusuke passed it off with a roll of his eyes and a comment about `pretty-boys and their looks.' Kurama smirked internally at that. Looking around, he saw that Yusuke was gleaning just as much, if not more, attention from the female populous at the station.
“C'mon, the next train leaves in 15.” Yusuke stalked off, unaware of the long-lashed eyes following his every move, giggling in girlish admiration.
Despite the fog, it promised to be a nice day out.
(o)
“Kagome! Kagome, wake up!” ice-cold water splashed on the hanyou's face and she sat up, sputtering. She opened her eyes and only the white of a bright light met her. Hissing, she closed her eyes and curled up into a protective ball.
“B-Bl-bloo… S-s-ta. Blood everywhere.” Kagome cracked her eyes open, staring at her claws though the slits. In the deep-contrast shadows thrown by the harsh light overhead, the tips looked like they had a darkened substance on them. Panicking, she dry-washed her hands, cutting and scratching them in the process until blood indeed covered them. Almost immediately, a new set of arms stretched around her back, pinning her upper arms while a third set grabbed her hands, holding them so that the claws could do no more damage.
“Shh, shh, it's okay Miss Kagome. There's no blood anywhere.” A soothing voice spoke up from behind her ears, supposedly connected to the arms that were now rocking her gently. Kagome struggled briefly before giving up. In the way that she was being pinned by four arms, there was no chance to escape. And there was no telling how many arms were still in the area.
Closing her eyes, she went limp.
“See what you did Callisto! You made her faint again! Tatiana isn't gonna be too happy about this!” the one named Callisto broke into sobs, soaking the back of Kagome's robes from where she held the unconscious girl. Kagome grimaced internally. She was pretending to be asleep so they would leave her alone, not soak her with tears! Now she knew why Inuyasha didn't like to smell tears so much, the salt in them stung her nose. The girl that spoke pulled on Kagome's hands, sticking them into a bowl of cold water that stung of herbs. She bit back a hiss as the girl spoke again as she started scrubbing the blood off non-too-gently.
“This is always your fault! You were born clumsy and I'm surprised that you've even lasted this long as an apprentice even!”
“But Eos, she's had a hard time already! Think of how far away from home she is. Let's let her rest after you bandage her hands, okay? And Tatiana won't even notice with Oberon hovering over her this entire time. We'll have to wait until our lord has left before presenting Lady Kagome to our lady.”
“No bother bandaging her hands. They have healed already.” A third voice spoke up. Kagome's hands were taken into gentler hands and rubbed gently with a soothing balm. “Kagome-dear, my name is Ceres. I know that you're awake, so why don't you open your eyes? The girls and I won't harm you, okay?”
Kagome whimpered slightly and curled up further, trying to `hide' from the arms that still pinned her still. Ceres must have gestured something, because a moment later, the two arms were gently removed, as well as the body warmth that belonged to it. Opening her eyes slightly, Kagome noticed that the harsh overhead light had been moved and dimmed.
“There, that's better, isn't it?” Ceres asked in her motherly tone, seeing Kagome's eyes.
“Bl-“
“Is that what you saw when you got off of dear Churon's skiff? With what I've heard of the life you lead, blood should be an everyday occurrence…”
Kagome shook her head, “Souta's blood. The body… the body that I tripped over was Souta's.”
Ceres nodded calmly, like she was reassuring a small child. “Is that what you're afraid of? Your brother getting hurt somehow?” Kagome looked away in shame, “or is it that you would hurt him?”
“I never meant to. We were just rough-housing like we usually did. I knew that I was stronger, but I didn't stop until… until I broke his arm. What if it's his neck next time?!” Kagome nearly shouted, sitting up and taking her hands away to wrap around her knees.
“Is that what you fear most? Then we'll help you learn to control your strength then. Your brother is stronger than you give him credit for, both in mind and spirit.”
“How do you know?” Kagome asked mulishly, resting her cheek on her knees and refusing to look anyone in the face.
“I know more than you would believe at this time. I'm what some would call a goddess, but I am a normal person as much as you or any other girl can be.” Ceres continued in her serene voice. Kagome looked at her out of the corner of her eye and smiled slightly at what she saw. Ceres was not a young girl in neutral-colored robes like the other two, but what one would think of as a true mother-figure. She was slightly round and had a few straying hairs that were gray that weren't quite caught up into her loose braided bun. Although her dress was in earth tones, it would still stand out as unique. It had a brown bodice like chestnuts or a tree trunk, with jewel-green sleeves and a mix of auburn and other fall colors in the skirt, making it look more like a pile of leaves. Ceres stood up, showing that, indeed, the skirt was made of fall leaves that were sewn together, but as pliable as if they were still green on the tree.
“It must have been a long trip dear, how about some tea and stew before we get you into some more appropriate attire, is that alright?” Kagome nodded. How could she disagree with such a person that reminded her of her own mother?
(o)
Natasha looked around. When did she leave the farmers market? And why was she at Stone Hedge? She shrugged, got into her car, and drove back home, since that was where she was obviously going in the first place since the market was most likely over by now.
(o)
Inuyasha cracked open an eyelid to look around. The scent around the grounds had changed to include scents that were most definitely not part of the Higurashi family. All demons. No, wait; there was a human among the demons… and… two hanyou? That wasn't right. Was the one with the long reddish hair hanyou or human? Inuyasha sat up slightly and watched the front door as it swung open, revealing Gin.
“Welcome back to our humble shrine,” Gin bowed to the group and only the Red-headed one actually bowed back. “I hope that you find what you are looking for this time.” Inuyasha's eyes traveled to scan the new group and were met with angry red eyes and a set of cool green ones. The one with red eyes seemed to evaporate from existence, re-appearing on the same branch as Inuyasha sat on.
“Problem?” Inuyasha asked, taking the small demon in black as no real threat.
“Go back to where you came from, hanyou.” The `boy' spoke coldly, his hand on the hilt of his sword.
Inuyasha sat up and stretched, “and what do you plan on doing if I don't?” the boy growled and drew his sword, rushing forward with the intent of severing the hanyou's head from his body.
“Hiei stop!” a calm voice from the base of the tree demanded. Amazingly, the boy in black stopped his swing mere millimeters from its intended target and scoffed. Sheathing his sword, the boy now known as Hiei jumped from the branch and landed next to the person who spoke from below.
“I apologize for my friend. He has a tendency to strike first and ask questions later.” The redhead bowed his head slightly in Inuyasha's direction.
`Sounds like someone else I know…' Inuyasha thought as he jumped down from his perch, now that his position had been discovered.
Inuyasha landed in front of the hanyou/human and the redhead bowed deeper in introduction. “My name is Suiichi Minamoto. My friends call me Kurama though.” Catching a whiff of the boy's underlying scent, Inuyasha's eyes widened momentarily.
“Cut the crap Shippou. What did you do this time?” the boy shook, startled.
“Inuyasha? I haven't seen you in years!”
“I saw you last night as a pup, so it hasn't been that long.” Inuyasha grumbled, holding his hands within his sleeves.
Kurama looked excited, but reined it in quickly, “after Kagome… I shouldn't really tell you, should I?... well, I haven't seen you in years nonetheless. It's good to see you again inu-papa!” Inuyasha froze. What did he mean by `inu-papa'? Shippou was just a pack orphan that he…adopted…oh.
“That only happened two days ago, pup. I'm not as old as you think I am right now.” Kurama/Shippou nodded in understanding. A black-haired boy came jogging up behind Kurama.
“What's happening? Did you find something out?”
“And this is my teammate, Yusuke. Yusuke, this is an old friend of mine: Inuyasha.”
The boy, Yusuke, started at the name. “Inuyasha! Where's Kagome you punk?” Yusuke snarled, grabbing the front of Inuyasha's hadagi (undershirt).
“I should be asking you the same thing, pup!” Inuyasha growled back, grabbing Yusuke's T-shirt in his fist.
“Boys, this isn't getting anywhere,” Kurama tried to separate the two hanyou, “Kagome is not here and neither of you know where she is. We shouldn't fight over what we don't know about.”
“Can it Shippou! This punk knows something, I can smell it!”
Yusuke's tough façade cracked as he looked over at Kurama with a grin. “Shippou eh? Kag's told me about what you were like when you were younger, oh-so-powerful thief.” Yusuke let go of Inuyasha's shirt and pulled away to face the taller boy. “And to think, you had no clue why we were here all week. Your brain's gotten senile in your age.” Kurama took a half-hearted swipe that Yusuke easily dodged.
“Yes, I did forget. After… what happened… I tried to forget about the Shikon.”
“What happened, Shippou?” Inuyasha practically breathed down the kitsune's neck.
“You see… you wouldn't want me to tell you. We've already messed up the time stream by me coming here…”
“What happened to Kagome, damnit!” Inuyasha grabbed Kurama's shoulders, a look of desperation in his eyes.
Choking up, Kurama looked anywhere but the distraught hanyou as he was shaken. “I would tell you if I knew. All I know is that she'll disappear sometime after she fights. I can't remember how long though. I'm sorry.” Kurama looked down and teleported in a puff of smoke to the shrine's Torii gates. “If I could help you, I would…” with that, Kurama turned and left.
Sometime during the arguments, Hiei had disappeared also.
“So, they figured it out, huh?” the human with orange hair walked to the bench in front of the Goshinboku and sat down.
“Yeah Kuwabara, they did.” The one called Kuwabara nodded his head and turned to Inuyasha.
“I knew Kagome when we were really little. Yusuke, Kagome and I have a bit of a history together, so we'll wait for her with you. No telling how long it'll be until she shows up again…” Inuyasha snorted at Kuwabara's outstretched hand and jumped back into the tree, intent on waiting it out there. “Friendly, huh?”
(o)
Yes, I pulled out my Greek/Roman mythology book for today's names! Ceres is more commonly called Demeter and is the goddess of the fields and mother to Persephone. Legend goes that Hades captured Persephone and while she was down there, Demeter mourned and the fields died and that's why there's the fall and winter. Callisto is a very timid nymph and Eos is a very strong-willed nymph. Tatiana and Oberon are the king and queen of Celtic British mythology and had a lot of marital issues that come into play later. Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream is where you might recognize those two names.
Not bad, I finished this in about 4 hours. Usually it takes like a week! Sorry if it seems short, but I need it to work out my next chapter!
Later,
Dark