InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ the fog ( Chapter 46 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 46: The Fog
 
You know I don't own anybody except for those that you don't recognize the name from either Inuyasha or YuYu Hakusho. There, my disclaimer.
 
(O)
Last time: Kagome nodded, now lying down once again, “that makes sense…” giving a sly smile, she turned onto her side, “Want to stay with me until I fall asleep?” Smiling, Inuyasha stretched out beside his mate, letting her use his arm as a pillow as she snuggled into his chest. Inuyasha smiled, his chin resting between her ears and right arm looped around her waist, pulling her closer.
 
“…And then the representatives of the bride and groom's families step forward…” Mushin intoned, gesturing for Inuyasha and Kagome to step up behind Miroku and Sango respectively. Mushin handed the couple a saucer, filled with water for the practice, and instructed them to drink. First Inuyasha, then Kagome took three sips to drain it and handed it back.
 
Starting at the beginning, the two couples rehearsed the traditional wedding ceremony with Mushin, acting as priest, leading them through it. Starting from presenting the bride, to finalizing the barter, to the San-San-Kudo (three by three) ceremony, which they were finishing now.
 
“Now we complete by the new couple walking out, followed by the family representation, and then-“
 
“Wait a minute!” Kagome held her hand up, a smile on her face. “I know his isn't tradition in this time, but it's something that you two might like.”
 
“Yes, Kagome-san, what is it?” Miroku asked, in the process of escorting Sango outside.
 
Kagome couldn't help but grin, “It's not like this wedding is completely traditional anyway, what with half the wedding party having demon blood…” Miroku nodded, giving Kagome the `get on with it” gesture with a twist of his wrist. “It's a kiss to … `seal the deal,' I guess. Right before presenting the couple, the priest tells the groom `you may kiss the bride.' It's all very romantic.” Miroku turned to Sango, the question in his eyes.
 
After a few moments, Sango nodded her acquiescence, “do you have any more suggestions, Kagome-chan?”
 
Kagome shrugged, shaking her head, “just the ring exchange, but that would be lost on everyone for at least the next three hundred years.”
 
Sango nodded, “we agree on the, ah, kiss, but exchanging trinkets would be too much.” That morning after breakfast, Sango had brought up the topic of `modern' wedding traditions, wondering how much it would change in the next five hundred or so years. There were some things, like the demon's horns and the San-San-Kudo that stayed basically the same, but others were completely changed. Like most girls wanted a `European-style' wedding that had nothing of the old Shinto beliefs.
 
“Yes, yes, that's all fine,” Mushin said, exasperated (and a little cranky), “Now let's finish this already so we can get to dinner!” Dinner meant Saké, and Mushin was stone-cold sober, thanks to Miroku hiding the bottles… many, many bottles.
 
“Agreed,” Inuyasha seconded, arms crossed and eyes heavy-lidded with boredom. “We should at least take a break and all sit down.” His eyes slid over to Kagome, who shifted her weight, yet again.
 
“What? I'm fine Inuyasha, perfectly fine,” Kagome crossed her arms, leaning against the wall casually. “Stop worrying about me.”
 
“Uh-huh, and you spent all of yesterday afternoon lying down.” Inuyasha didn't help but notice that her `casual' lean was taking the brunt of her weight. “You aren't acting `better' either. Sango, are you sure that Kohaku can't present you instead?”
 
“Well, I guess he-”
 
“Wha-No! Sango asked me to do this, and I will, I'm not too sick to just not participate! Standing straight from the wall, Kagome gestured vaguely at Sango, swaying slightly from the sudden movement and had to be steadied by none other than her mate. “I-I'm just a little hungry, that's all. It's making me tired… er than usual.”
 
Inuyasha gave her a skeptical look, only removing his hands from her arms after he was sure that she wouldn't fall. “Hanyou don't get tired this fast for no reason. And we could go days without food or sleep without feeling any worse.”
 
“And hanyou don't get sick either, right?” Kagome asked, a tinge of frustration in her voice as she rubbed a spot above her left eye. Sighing, she gazed over to the others, “I guess we can stop for dinner at least, and if anything else comes up, we can deal with it after.”
 
Agreeing to the break, they headed to the kitchens to see what the boys and tanuki managed to whip up. It was simple fare of rice and vegetables with a small portion of fish that some worshipper had brought as an offering to the local deities. Surprisingly, it was Kohaku who was most adept in the kitchen, able to put the meal together properly. Being the only human under Naraku's command had taught him many necessities that otherwise would have been left to either the experienced slayer or village woman, such as mending or cooking.
 
Sitting down, Shippou and Hachi served everyone at once by creating multiples and transforming into their own versions of a teahouse hostess. “Enjoy your meal,” all the hostesses said at the same time, bowing and immediately transforming back to their normal selves in a puff of colorful smoke. Grinning, Kagome clapped for the display, followed by a polite smattering from the others, and gave Shippou a hug when he bounced to sit next to her, soaking in the praise.
 
“That was wonderful Shippou, your clones and transformation was wonderful!” Finishing her clapping, Kagome looped an arm around his shoulders and kissed the crown of his head, brushing his large ears aside.
 
“Yes, wonderful, and wouldn't such a celebration be perfect with some good saké!” Mushin spoke up, clapping his hands together in glee. “Miroku, my boy, why don't you go and get a bottle of the good stuff, since you're the once who hid it,” he mumbled the last to himself, sending the husband-to-be off on his errand.
 
Taking the longest route possible to the trash area behind the temple, Miroku went to a pile of saké jugs, empty and waiting to be filled again. “Last place you'd ever look, old man, straight in plain sight.” Picking through a few empty jugs, Miroku picked up a sealed one, making sure it was the `special' saké that Mushin had requested. Quickly tying a rope to it, Miroku carried it over his shoulder back to the party, setting in down in front of his foster father.
 
“Here now!” Mushin broke the wax seal and popped the cork, taking a swig, “Sine we know have such fine wine, I propose a toast! Drinks first, everyone!” Sighing, Miroku stood up again from where he had just gotten comfortable next to Sango and went to get cups for everyone.
 
“Lady Kagome, is something the matter?” Miroku asked, looking up as he got ready to pour her portion into a wooden cup. She had her hand over her mouth and looked slightly green.
 
Shaking her head, Kagome tried to smile, “I've never really liked saké, but that bottle just smells rancid to me, are you sure it's okay?”
 
Miroku looked over at Mushin, rosy-cheeked and grinning like an idiot, having finished the small flask Miroku had left by his rice bowl. “It looks fine to me. Mushin-sama may be a drunkard, but he could taste tainted saké blindfolded.”
 
“Smells fine to me,” Inuyasha commented, taking a small sip, “your nose is off, or maybe you're not used to the smell.”
 
Kagome shook her head in disagreement, trying to breath through her mouth to cut the smell, “it's not that, but still, no thank you for the saké, I'll just stick to my water.” Nodding, Miroku went to give some to Shippou, but was cut off with a low growl, “give my son any of that poison, and you will not live to see your wedding night.” Nodding and smiling apologetically at Shippou, Miroku placed the jug next to Mushin and sat down.
 
“Well, I'll start the toasts then!” Mushin chirped drunkenly, holding his jar aloft. “I hope that your marriage bears many fruitful nights and obedient children. Kanpai!”
 
“Kanpai!” everyone chorused and took a drink. Miroku went around, filling empty cups before sitting down again.
 
“Your Sons will be strong and your daughters wise,” Kohaku cheered, “Kanpai!”
 
“Kanpai!” was echoed back as Inuyasha took the stage.
 
“Sango, I hope for yours and other's wellbeing, that your children take after you instead of the pervert. Kanpai.”
 
“Kanpai!” Laughter followed, as Miroku blushed, filling cups.
 
Sitting up, Kagome closed her eyes, thinking of her own blessing while she knew that all eyes were now on her. Smiling sweetly, Kagome felt her heart warm as she looked upon the soon to be wed couple, having watched as they met (she liked to believe that she introduced the two), fell in love, and now were to be married. “I hope…” Kagome shook her head, starting over, “I never would have thought that you two would get married, especially after all the things that happened this past year and how it seemed that you would both rather have nothing to do with each other at times. But it shouldn't have surprised me that you're now getting married. What better way to solve someone's wandering ways?” Kagome grinned and Sango gave her partner a knowing look. “One thing I wish though, is that we will stay in close contact for many years to come. We are family, after all!” Kagome raised her water bottle in salute, her heart warming further, starting to give off faint pink glow. Seeing everyone staring at her, Kagome looked down at the glow as well, growing horror on her face as she tugged the Shikon out of it's hiding place.
 
Once free, the Shikon grew warmer to the point where Kagome dropped it… or more like she pulled her hand away. The sphere of light continued to hover, growing brighter and hotter with each passing moment. Resonating heat built in her chest, almost burning as Kagome clutched her shirt over her heart in pain, curling up. Not able to hold back any longer, Kagome screamed, the heat tearing itself out of her heart to join with the rest of the Shikon, the last piece joining its brethren. She couldn't tell how, but the jewel started to spin, rays of light reaching out and energy dripping, she had to block the light with her hand. Blinding light, tendrils of pure energy reached out and touched them all, overwhelming all of the senses past coherence.
 
Hitting Kagome last, it felt as if many hands were grabbing her, pulling her backwards, away from the room. It reminded her of how her entire journey had started, with Mistress Centipede's revival through the Bone Eater's Well. Her scream was joined by the others, all screaming out her name as they reached for her, unable to move fast enough. It looked like they moved through Molasses as the world went white with fog. “Inuyasha!”
 
(O)
 
When the fog cleared, Kagome found herself surrounded by stone wall on four sides with dirt floor beneath and wooden ceiling above. “Inuyasha!” She screamed, knowing she was back at the well, where it all began, ad that Inuyasha was on the other side. Jumping out of the well, Kagome immediately jumped back in, hitting the hard-packed dirt. “No, no, this isn't how it's supposed to be, Inuyasha!” After jumping out and back in, hitting dirt a second time, her knees gave out and she collapsed. Using her claws, Kagome dug, intending to dig her way back to the past. She swiped away tears that blurred her vision with torn claws, disregarding the blood that tracked across her face in doing so. “Inuyasha!” she sobbed, not feeling the pain from her mutilated hands as she sat back and curled up, sobbing into her knees, clutching her legs close to her body. “Inuyasha, no…” She started to rock, not wanting to believe what she was seeing: trapped, forever in this strange world in which she didn't belong any longer. Her mate, gone, separated from him by 500 years that might as well be eternity or death. Death would have been better instead of being separated from her mate.
 
“Hey, who's in there? This is a restricted building!” A voice seemed to shout, flashlight panning from one dark corner to another, illuminating nothing. The flashlight bobbed, the male whom the voice belonged going down the steps. The flashlight shown down the well, highlighting Kagome's dulled hair and the bloody furrows in front of her. “Hey, girl, are you okay?” Kagome's ear moved…