InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ Dreams ( Chapter 49 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ehehe… Whoops, I really did mean to get this out sooner… but it's not completely my fault. You see, I'm used to at least 10 reviews per chapter, at least 5, but, you see… I got a grand total of 7 for the past two chapters. I'm now completely depressed and my bonfire of motivation has dwindled down to a little paper match. Well, I don't own this anyway, so I guess in the end it doesn't matter, though it is nice to see somebody loving me.
 
Chapter 49: (didn't think I'd make it this far when I said that there were only a few chapters left…) Dreams
 
Last time: Nodding, Inuyasha pulled up a simple chair beside the large bed. Taking her hand gently, Inuyasha started rubbing small circles with his thumb. “I believe it would be best to leave them alone at this point in time,” Kurama said gently from his corner of the room, his arms wide to shepherd the others out. Turning back, Kurama stood opposite Inuyasha and pulled a seed from his hair. Making it sprout, he coaxed the vine to wrap around the posts and canopy. Large pale flowers and broad leaves bloomed, giving off a calming scent. “I hope this helps… Papa,” he said quietly, tenderness he rarely showed in his voice, “Make Mama come back to us.” Inuyasha nodded, determination in his gaze.
 
“I'll try,” and with that, he shut the door, leaving his parents alone.
 
This time: Downstairs, Sango couldn't help but coddle her son after watching him grow up from afar for so many years. Seeing the small scars pocking his bare torso, she demanded to know about each one in great detail, plotting death to those who dared to harm her precious first son. “Mama, I'm fine,” Absently rubbing the five puncture scars around his heart, Kuwabara stepped away so that he could breathe, “And besides, you can't kill a dead man. Been gone for a while now,” he commented distractedly, reading his mother's face as easily as if he'd seen her expression every day. Looking in the direction of the front door, he nodded to himself. “They're here,” and to his mother, “could Yukimura-san borrow an extra shirt?” Shooting her son an `explain later' look, she went off to find a blouse to lend out.
 
“That is an impressive scar,” Miroku spoke up from a lounge chair, chewing on a pocky stick, “looks like your heart was nearly ripped out.” Holding out the box, Kuwabara grabbed one as well and headed to the foyer.
 
“No, he just tried to replace mine with his hand.” With that, he stepped out of the parlor and into the large entrance hall, waving over Yusuke and Keiko. After a brief look-around, Hiei took off up the stairs and down the opposite way from Kagome's room.
 
“What, did you think he slept in the park or something?” Keiko commented, gratefully thanking Sango for a plain tan collared shirt with pearl buttons. Quickly fastening the last one, she followed the boys back to where the others sat. They came in just as Kurama set down a tea tray with pot and cups enough for everyone.
 
“Just chamomile, nothing fancy except for a hint of catnip.” He described, pouring cups and handing them out. “We all need to calm down after what happened earlier.”
 
“Speaking of which,” Keiko cradled the hot cup in her palms, staring at the tea's pale yellow tint, “How is Kagome?”
 
Silence followed her question, heaviness settling into the atmosphere like a brick wall. Exchanging glances, Sango bit her lip and ended up speaking. Squaring her shoulders, she leaned forward and gave Keiko a comforting pat on the hand. “She's fine, for now, but she could be doing better. Inuyasha's up with her now, and we're giving them some time alone. If you want, I'm sure you can visit in a little while.”
 
“So Kagome's awake.”
 
“No,” Kuwabara put down his tea cup before he could drop it, “Kagome-chan's body is comatose, and her mind wants to die. We can just hope that she'll respond with familiar people around.”
 
“Have you tried to bring her back yet?” Kuwabara shook his head and lifted his teacup for a sip.
 
“Not yet, I was waiting for you two to show up.”
 
Yusuke snorted, walking into the sitting area, foregoing the empty couch for the floor in front of it. “Then finish your tea already and start centering! All we have is time.” Giving a half-laugh, Kuwabara eyed his parents and Kurama, embarrassed, and slid to join Yusuke and Keiko on the floor, their touching knees creating a triangle of sorts between the three of them. Keeping his back remarkably straight, Kuwabara focused inward on his breathing, and when he felt steady enough, he sent tendrils of energy out. Most of them shot down, grounding him to the very earth like the roots of a great tree. Gentle, almost timid, strings connected to Keiko and Yusuke as well, drawing on their energies to supplement his own. Feeling the connections as secure as possible, he focused upward to the heavens, seeking out the energy that he knew just as well as Keiko or Yusuke's.
 
Upstairs, Kagome moaned in her sleep. Subconsciously resisting not one, but three minds as they attempted to gain access into hers. Startled, Inuyasha stood over Kagome, tapping her cheek and praying for her eyes to open. As abruptly as it started, she calmed, falling into silence as the trio entered her mind. Kuwabara, as the one putting forth the effort, seemed to appear solid in the grayness of Kagome's mindscape. Yusuke and Keiko mere shadows there to observe.
 
“I'm in,” Kuwabara muttered, looking around, not realizing that his body had spoken as well. “Now to find her mind.” Surrounded in fog, there was not much to do but pick a direction and wander until his time in this plane expired or he found something. Luck was on his side this time, for a half hour later, he saw a crumbling cabin, as grey as the surrounding fog, appear in the distance.
 
Approaching the building, Kuwabara flung the sliding doors open, happy to have found Kagome's mind. In the corner was a huddled figure in a dirty grey, ripped tunic that was once a beautiful white dress. Skeletal feet stuck out from the frayed hem and bony hands clutched at covered knees. Stringy black-hole hair covered its features. “Kagome-chan!” Kuwabara sighed in relief, holding out his hand to her. The being flinched and moved, its head turning to look up. Vengeful red eyes glared back and it opened its raw mouth.
 
“GET OUT!” skeletal hands turned to razor-like claws as the creature moved faster than Kuwabara could react and pushed him away, back into his own body. The force pushed him back enough to toss him and Yusuke into the couches, while Keiko hit the coffee table hard enough to crack the glass top with a surprised gasp. Yusuke was only really pushed an inch into the couch he was sitting against, while the redhead flew the furthest, into the opposite couch.
 
Simply breathing for a few moments, Keiko sat up gingerly, allowing Sango to check for any real injuries. There was nothing but a red welt that was quickly becoming a line bruise from hitting the edge. Sitting up with a groan, the others could see a set of claw marks drawing across Kuwabara's chest, where they started to ooze blood. Touching the fresh wounds, Kuwabara grimaced.
 
“I'm fine Momma.” He muttered, pushing away her tissue-grasping hand gently. In a matter of moments, the wounds disappeared as if they weren't even there in the first place. Being spirit wounds, he could feel the deep gashes even with there being no physical evidence. Like a torn heart could not be seen, only felt.
 
“I must say, that was impressive Kazuma-kun,” Miroku gave a smirk. “It took me years to maintain a spell that long, you've been training yourself.”
 
All Kuwabara could do was nod in agreement before Yusuke cut in, stretching. “You at least dropped a marker before we got… killed, didn't ya?”
 
Kuwabara gave Yusuke a look, absently rubbing where he was attacked. “I'm not a complete idiot, Urameshi. I dropped the stupid marker.”
 
“Good,” Yusuke grinned, “lunch first, then we'll try again.” He started to walk off.
 
“”Yusuke, where are you going?” Kurama asked with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Ah, kitchen…?” Yusuke pointed to the door to the foyer, eyes wide and innocent.
 
“Kitchen.” Kurama pointed to the open door behind him where, indeed, a decent-sized kitchen was seen through the open double doors.
 
“Oh.” Somehow, Yusuke managed to scrounge up some of his remaining dignity and went into the kitchen, closing the doors slightly harder than necessary amid a smattering of chuckles.
 
Sitting back onto his seat on the couch, Kuwabara looked around. “So… where did the shrimp go?”
 
“Hiei has a room here when he desires it since, technically, he is a type of hanyou.” Kurama explained gently from behind his cup.
 
“Yes, the sanctuary is open to anybody with even a hint of non-human blood, and those that know and understand the hanyou plight.” Sango continued with a smile, leaning comfortably against the back f the chair, her knees crossed casually.
 
“And I just volunteer here,” Keiko grinned, “I have other friends besides you guys, and one of their parents lives here sometimes.” A crash came from the kitchen, followed by a few choice expletives. “Yusuke!” jumping up from her seat, Keiko rushed to the kitchen and slipped inside before the others could react. “Are you okay?” Sango and Miroku gave each other knowing grins.
 
“Yeah, yeah, I'm cool. Just some pots…” the door gently closed on its own with a click, cutting off the rest of the conversation.
 
“So, how long?” Sango asked, a glimmer of excitement in her eyes.
 
“Those two?” Kuwabara jabbed his thumb back towards the kitchen. “They've known each other since they were in the sandbox. And Yusuke's proposed at least twice… of what I know.” He shrugged, giving an almost helpless smile. “By now, they're already practically married, though I don't know why Keiko hasn't tried to kill him already.” Raising his pinky, the others laughed at the poor boy's expense.
 
“So, Shippou, any lucky ladies yet?” Miroku asked, causing the Kitsune to blush deeply.
 
“Ah… no.” Kurama murmured, face hidden by his curtain of red hair. Miroku hummed and nodded. What he didn't know was that he was thinking of his time as Yoko and the years that he spent with Kuronoue, and the pain of seeing his ghost in a demon of illusions attack him. In the cave that Inuyasha had given him, on a pedestal and silk-lined box, lay the pendant that his bat had died over, and old piece of the barrier stone his mother hand once held.
 
“…Plenty of choices, I heard that there's a huge fan club at his school.” Kuwabara smirked, earning a resigned groan from Kurama, only catching the end. He didn't want to think about those screeching banshees that dared to think they had a chance.
 
“And you, my son?”
 
“Oh boy, here we go.” Kurama groaned, seeing the human's face light up like a hundred-watt light bulb. Kurama buried his head in his hands.
 
“Yukina's the best! She's beautiful, her cooking's wonderful…” Kurama blanked out the rest, seeing as he had heard similar speeches one too many times from the passionate psychic.
 
(O)
 
After lunch, the trio settled down for another go, but Miroku tapped for their attention first. Taking them down one wing, he opened the door to an indoor dojo, with a wall of various weapons, mats against another, and the far wall was only shoji screens leading straight to the back gardens. “You might not get as injured in here, if you feel like using it.” With that, Miroku left the trio to their own devices to go help Sango, who had volunteered to do the dishes.
 
Waiting a minute for Miroku to leave, Yusuke went and opened the end shoji to get some circulation but still keep their privacy. “So, what was that… thing?” he asked, coming back to the center.
 
“It was a wrath guardian, of what I could tel.” Kuwabara suggested, taking off his duster and tossing it by the door.
 
Keiko took off her borrowed shirt as well, folding it before she placed it by the coat. “So we'll be going in full power this time?”
 
“Wrath, so she did a seven-layer lock then?” it took barely any effort for three sets of wings to appear.
 
“At least. Who knows how many defenses Kagome put up in the past two weeks.” They sat in formation, wings relaxed to overlap each others' and surround them in a feathered circle. “Ready?”
 
“Let's get this show on the road already!” Yusuke smirked, eyes already closed to focus on his breathing.
 
“Alright.” And with that, they were sent back to the mental plane, this time outside the ramshackle hut. Taking a calming breath, Kuwabara cautiously opened the shoji and peered at the beast, once more rocking in the back corner.
 
The beast snarled, jumping to attack once more. “I thought I told you to GET OUT!” it howled, two inch claws meeting with feather engraved shield that appeared on Kuwabara's left forearm before the appendage was sliced off. He immediately retaliated by stabbing, but Wrath dodged by jumping back.
 
“Let us pass,” Kuwabara demanded, going in for another strike that was dodged. “Feather kunai!” the etched feathers on his shield sprung to life, forcing the nearly human beast to dodge the half dozen projectiles. One that should have impaled it actually went through like a phantom.
 
Grasping the place the feather went through, the beast snarled and curled inward, protecting the physically uninjured arm. “You will pay for that, human.” Using its god arm, Wrath rushed Kuwabara and sunk its claws into his arm, ripping a good chunk bloody.
 
Stepping back in shock, Kuwabara grasped his bloody arm, spiritual `blood' seeping between his fingers. Looking up, it seemed as if Wrath was waiting for Kuwabara to make the next move. Stepping back mentally, Kuwabara closed his eyes and concentrated. Spiritual residue healed his wounds as he looked at Wrath with a rational eye. “Okay.” He murmured, watching the beast's eyes dart around like a trapped animal. “Who are you angry with?” this caught the beast's attention and it snarled at him.
 
“What does it matter to you? I have nobody, nobody, and I will kill all those that seek to harm me again.” Lunging again, the beast managed to nick his ankle as he leaped to the side and rolled. Kneeling, Kuwabara grimaced and wiped away the scratch.
 
“I don't want to hurt you, just let me pass.”
 
“Lies!” Wrath screeched, its red eyes wild and actions uncontrolled, trying to kill the human. Taking his chance, Kuwabara tried a grapple, pinning it down with a knee in the small of its back and holding both wrists in one large hand. “Go ahead, kill me,” it grinned manically into the rough hewn floorboards, “you'll just prove yourself wrong.”
 
“If you say that you have nobody, then why am I here?” calmly, Kuwabara sat back, pinning her hands directly above her head. “If you have nobody, they why was Yusuke looking for you? They why is Inuyasha, your mate, sitting beside your body, praying for you to come back. Would `nobody' wait five hundred years to see you being born and grow up, just to be with you again?”
 
“You lie.” The beast spat without conviction, its claws recessing to dainty points and its wild hair calming into a more familiar mane.
 
“If there is nobody,” Kuwabara leaned in to whisper in Wrath's severely pointed ears, pulling his trump card. “Then why does your body contain two souls that are not you?” allowing the beast up, it reflected more of Kagome's bestial nature, but was still her. Kneeling, she placed her hand on her belly and Kuwabara nodded. “Release your anger, you have at least two to live for now. Let me pass.” The apparition nodded absently, fading, and Kuwabara found himself standing, surrounded by fog once again. Suddenly feeling how weak he was, he fell to his knees and woke on the physical plane, facing Yusuke and Keiko.
 
Slumping forward, Kuwabara caught himself with his hands, and two other sets on his shoulders. Letting out a relieved chuckle, Kuwabara smirked at his teammates. “So, who wants to go next?”
 
Yusuke gave a relieved grin, covered by a cocky smirk. “That didn't look too tough, I'll go next.”
 
After a break. I don't care about you, but Kazuma-kun looks about ready to collapse.” Keiko said sternly, keeping a supporting hand on the psychic's shoulder.
 
“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Yusuke stood up, stretching and winced when a few vertebrae popped back into place.
 
“Good idea…” At that, Kuwabara collapsed back, pressing his wings so that they fully splayed, wing tips stretching nearly from one side of the practice floor to the other. After a few seconds, they retracted partially, framing the catnapping teen.
 
(O)
 
“Hey, dinner's rea~dy…” Kurama trailed off, staring at the scene before him. Kuwabara lay sprawled out on the floor, his folded coat used as a pillow. Yusuke casually sat against the opposite wall, with Keiko sleeping against his chest. “Or… I can just tell them to put yours in the refrigerator.”
 
“Nah, give us five minutes.” Yusuke waved with a smirk, jostling Keiko, who woke up with an ungraceful snort.
 
“Wha…?”
 
Kurama hid his smirk by turning away. “I'll wait for you in the dining room then.” Yusuke nodded, helping Keiko stand up, ignoring her mussed hair and pressure mark on one cheek. Avoiding feathers, he walked up to Kuwabara and introduced the boy to his bare foot. Repeatedly.
 
“A'ight, `m up, `m up.” Kuwabara mumbled, trying up sit up. “Ah.” He winced with both elbows pinning feathers down.
 
“Hurry up, bird boy, dinner's ready.” He looked up blearily, just noticing he was the only one currently winged. A moment later, orange and red curled up like paper in a fireplace and vanished. Yusuke hauled him up and Keiko tossed him the bag that he had dropped back at the village.
 
“Oh, ah, thanks.” Digging out a light blue tee, he put it on without bothering to tuck it in. “Forgot about this.” He plucked at the loose fabric before rushing forward to open the shoji for Keiko. “Umm… how long was I out?”
 
“Couple `a hours, ya lazy bum, and I'm doing it next.” Yusuke announced, earning a smack from Keiko.
 
“Cut him a break Yusuke, Kazuma-kun was the spirit body twice in a row, and he got hurt both times.”
 
“Yeah, yeah, I know Keiko.” Yusuke gave his friend a smirk over his girlfriend's head, “and there was that poison this morning, too.”
 
Kuwabara grimaced, “yeah, don't tell Momma about that.” And with that, they decided not to speak of it until later.
 
(O)
 
Knocking on the door again, Yusuke cast Keiko a skeptical look, which she returned with a shrug, careful not to disturb the ramen bowl on her tray. Inside, Inuyasha cast the door another baleful glance, willing those on the other side to simply go away. “Whatever, Keiko,” came the somewhat familiar voice of Yusuke. “Oi, Jii-chan, we're coming in whether you want us to or not!” he called through the door, raising his voice to penetrate the wood. “And we brought dinner.” The young demon opened the door, followed by the human volunteer and Taijiya boy. Keiko, he remembered her name, placed her tray on the desk. On top some home made ramen with a few thin slices of beef displayed artfully, like a fan.
 
Inuyasha looked at the ramen, convincing himself that the tantalizing treat just wasn't worth it, especially with Kagome lying there, limp and frail, the only sign of life being the monotonous beep of the heart monitor. “Inuyasha-san, please, eat,” Keiko pleaded politely, facing her `employer,' “Ten minutes to eat won't really make a difference.” He gave the human a look and she decided to switch tactics. “What would Kagome think of you starving yourself for no reason?” stroking Kagome's face with tender fingers, he kissed her cheek as if to say goodbye and stood up.
 
“Don't worry doggie, we'll be right here if something happens.” Yusuke smirked, stealing Inuyasha's chair and sat down, taking his cousin's exposed hand. Keiko sat on the bed opposite Yusuke and started stroking her hair away from closed eyes, while Kuwabara took point, sitting by her feet on an empty foot locker. Still yet unsure about leaving his mate's side, he sat at the desk and ate, not tasting the professional quality of the from-scratch noodles and broth. At a silent gesture, the three teens closed their eyes, able to get into Kagome's mind easier with contact, and the hanyou was none the wiser.
 
“Now, if I was the second part of a seal, which way would I be?” Yusuke muttered, finger pointing in a random direction. “Ah, right!” Turning in a comical flailing circle, he marched not-left, seeming to be dragged by the very finger he had used to point.
 
The second hut wasn't actually a building at all, but more like a cluster of trees rising out of the mist that he would have easily passed without a second thought, but for the fireball that was aimed at certain… parts that he would miss horribly. “You~!” a voice yelled with such venom the very leaves shook, “It's all your fault, you miserable piece of scum!” standing up from the near dodge, Yusuke brushed off his pants, spotting the burn on his thigh and growled.
 
“What the fuck, I liked these jeans!” he yelled, staring into the misty shrubbery, trying to spot his prey, err, adversary.
 
How could you?” Another fireball, followed by a frustrated scream.
 
Dodging the slow projective, he attempted to goad whatever he was facing, “How could I do what? What are you talking about?” he decided it was safer to draw it out instead of going in pursuit.
 
You…” a little beauty stepped out, her hair and eyes fire that didn't give off light, “you betrayed me!” with that, he knew who he was facing, that face staring at him blankly, it was Revenge, and her body was sweet as sugar.
 
“When-how did I betray you, Revenge?” Yusuke asked, defensive now that he could see his opponent, though she ceased at the last bush, not daring to go further.
 
“You abandoned me, Yusuke, you left me to die.” The apparition held her hand out, beckoning Yusuke to come closer. The boy was surprised, hearing his name on flame red lips, but this was Kagome's mind, so it shouldn't be surprising that all of the barriers they fought knew their names.
 
Yusuke shook his head, staying his position. “I didn't abandon you,” he wanted to say `Kagome,' “I, we, searched for you as soon as we knew you were gone.”
 
Liar! You left me to die, and now you're back to finish the job!” her flaming hair leapt, caressing the leaves in a deadly embrace. Surprisingly, not a leaf even dried out. Seeing that, he decided to risk getting burned by not dodging the next fireball lobbed his way. “I'll kill you before you can harm me again!” the ball hit his chest, flames splattering like a container of thrown paint. Despite the black and smoking hole of his green jacket, his skin beneath was only the red of a mild sunburn.
 
Touching the charred fabric, Yusuke sighed. “You have your revenge now, happy? Man, this was my favorite outfit too.” He muttered, tossing aside the spent green jacket and white tee underneath.
 
Back in the real world, Kurama knocked on the door gently before entering, regardless of whether Inuyasha answered or not. “Papa… ah…” the Kitsune spotted Yusuke, Kuwabara and Keiko sitting around Kagome, nearly unmoving, while Inuyasha sat reluctantly in the desk chair with half finished ramen cooling on the desk. “So that's where those three got off to.” He muttered, walking up to the bed as well. At such a close distance, he could faintly feel the human energy they exuded, focusing on their downed friend.
 
“…soon as we knew you were gone…” Kurama caught the tail-end of Yusuke's murmuring. Watching the Mazoku, he saw a sort of twitching, like his limbs couldn't quite move when they wanted. Walking over to his side of the bed, Kurama watched Yusuke's blank face for expression. It twitched like his limbs, but at least Yusuke moved, unlike the statuesque meditation of Keiko and Kuwabara.
 
“Yusuke…?”
 
“You have your revenge now, happy?” the ghost of a frown flashed past his face.
 
“Don't even try it pup.” Inuyasha stayed Kurama's hand, about to shake his teammate and `uncle' awake. “Kid's been mumbling shit like that since he sat there.”
 
“Damnit, what does it take to make you happy, huh?” Kurama jumped, hearing Yusuke's sudden yell.
 
“And don't ask what they're doing, I have no clue either.” Inuyasha sat back down, having jumped up to defend at the boy's sudden yell. Feeling wet, he looked over at the desk and the spilt ramen. “Gah, no use crying over spilled ramen.” He mumbled, going into a hidden closet and pulling out some towels before it soaked into the carpet.
 
“Do you think they're doing something that has to do with the wings that they all have?” Kurama asked cautiously, standing between the bed and Inuyasha on the floor.
 
“Dunno. The four of `em liked to meditate together when they were brats. Sit in a circle; hold hands and more often than not, the carrot-top would be talking the entire time.” Sitting back onto his dried seat, Inuyasha contemplated the four on the bed. “And they paired up as well, the gaki and Yukimura-chan, then orange-brat and Kagome…”
 
“Momma… and Kuwabara, together.” An involuntary shudder stole up the kitsune's spine. There were just some things that didn't happen. “That's just wrong.
 
“Thanks for the vote of confidence, red.” Kuwabara spoke, his eyes half mast and his body not moving.
 
“Kuwabara! I-I didn't know that you were… ah… awake.” Kurama blushed and stuttered, completely caught off guard.
 
“Practice.” He replied. Indeed, if it wasn't for the boy speaking, Kurama would have sworn by his breathing and heart rate that the human was asleep.
 
“How long have you-“
 
“Long enough.” The psychic cut Kurama off, knowing what he was going to ask. “It's nice to know Hiei thinks I'm an idiot, awake or not. Though he probably knew when I was listening in anyway.” There were several times during the Dark Tournament, especially during the beginning rounds, where the boys would talk while Kuwabara was (supposedly) crashed on the couch (and snoring quite loudly). On more than one occasion, Kurama had suggested finding another teammate, a demonic one, who was surer in their abilities. At that time, he only knew of the few times the previous year where they had tutored Kuwabara in sword basics, as well as how to defend from weak demons.
 
“Ah.”
 
“Yeah.” Even with trying, he couldn't keep all the emotion from his voice. “Now, shut up or leave, unless you want me to lose concentration and force Urameshi to lose his mind in Kagome-chan's head.” Kurama immediately shut up and sat down on the floor, using Inuyasha's chair leg as a backing, forgetting why he came up in the first place.
 
“Don't worry,” Inuyasha murmured, his hand falling to the crown of Kurama's head, “If the gaki's anything like the pervert, he'll succeed at whatever spell he's weaving.” Kurama nodded, content to wait for his family to come around.
 
It was a good deal later (so much so that Kurama's leg had fallen asleep) when Yusuke finally defeated Revenge, though it was more like he had no more energy left to spare and Revenge got in a lucky shot. “Gah!” Yusuke yelped in surprise, falling off the bed when he suddenly found himself back in his mortal body. “Damnit, let me back in!” Jumping up, he glared at Kuwabara and an awakening Keiko.
 
“Shut it, Urameshi.” Kuwabara muttered, waiting until Keiko was fully awake before pulling himself from the mental plane.
 
“C'mon, it was a lucky hit, lemme—“
 
“I said, shut it, Urameshi.” Kuwabara's fist shot out, catching the punk across the teeth. There was a moment of stunned silence as Yusuke wiped a wet trickle from his mouth. Realizing the red smear on his cuff, he yelled and sent Kuwabara off the bed in a flying tackle and flurry of punches. Rolling around, they grappled, trying for the top.
 
Finally, Yusuke pinned the larger human in a headlock, bending over at an unnatural angle, one leg pinned so that any movement would sent both down with Yusuke's elbow shoved into his solar plexus. “I said to let me try again, it was a freakin' lucky shot.” Yusuke growled, jostling Kuwabara's neck.
 
“N-no way… in hell!” Kuwabara wheezed, wondering if getting out of the hold was worth getting elbowed to the floor.
 
“Yusuke, you're being an idiot.” Keiko finally had enough, hands on her hips and rolling eyes. “Let Kazuma-kun go. There's no point in you going back in anyway. You won.”
 
“Yeah,” Kuwabara agreed, sitting on the floor and rubbing his bruised neck. “Ya went the wrong way. Left for unlocking, right for locking. The last guardian is defeated by letting it win.”
 
“Well, I guess my turn's next then!” Keiko chirped, catching the darkening sky in the corner of her eye. “Then again maybe we should pick up on this tomorrow after school, I still have homework to finish.”
 
“That would be a good idea,” Kurama spoke up, remembering why he had come up in the first place, “though, undoubtedly, I am late for supper by now. Shall we go?”
 
Nodding, Keiko turned to Inuyasha and bowed, “see you tomorrow Inuyasha-san.”
 
“Yeah,” Kuwabara waved and followed Keiko out. Neither seeing the apologetic look and tender kiss on Kagome's brow.
 
“I'm sure,” Kurama watched Yusuke put his tough guy act back on and leave, “that Momma is trying to get back to us as well.” The door clicked shut behind him, and after a brief check into Hiei's room, met up with the trio out the front door and they walked to the nearby bus station.
 
Seeing as there would be no more interruptions that night, Inuyasha shut off the dimmed overhead lights and took up Yusuke's abandoned seat. Gently taking her hand, he kissed the corner of her mouth. “I… I love you, Kagome.” Hesitating, he placed his hand over the new light in his life. “Please come back to me…” With that, he settled for his moonlight vigil.
 
(O)
 
Okay, I'm in a bit of a writer's funk, go figure. I'd still like baby names suggestions, though I have some ideas. Happy Single's Awareness Day!
 
Dark Inu Fan