InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Birth Marks ❯ Awake ( Chapter 50 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 50 (Da~ang. That's all I'll say): Awake
 
Disclaimer: Disclaimed.
 
Sankyuu my reviewers that actually decided to contact me, asking where the hell I was. Honestly, not getting enough reviews has gotten to me, but I guess I have to buck up and write this for my few oldies that're still following me, and for the new ones that still look upon me with hope when they start. Only to get frustrated at my… skills of updating. Six review people, six! Technically five since one was the same person logged in, then not.
 
Last time: seeing as there would be no more interruptions that night, Inuyasha shut off the dimmed overhead lights and took up Yusuke's abandoned seat. Gently taking her hand, he kissed the corner of her mouth. “I… I love you, Kagome.” Hesitating, he placed his hand over the new light in his life. “Please come back to me…” With that, he settled for his moonlight vigil.
 
This time: “You're late.” Growled Inuyasha, eyeing the teen trio as they rushed into the bedroom.
 
“Ah, sorry, sorry!” Keiko bowed and apologized for the two boys. Elbowing Yusuke, she gave him a peeved look. “We missed the bus since somebody was late after playing truant.” Yusuke gave a resigned look, having heard her argument the entire bus ride. There was no way to tell Keiko he was actually at the shrine all day, helping Auntie Gin pack up Kagome's stuff, and have it sound believable. Once a truant, always a truant, she would likely argue, having heard and dismissed it all already.
 
The previous day, they had managed to break three more of the gates. Keiko soothed Regret by telling the sobbing five-year-old spirit that nobody was dead, even after five-hundred years. Then Doubt stumped Kuwabara with his roundabout way of speaking, ending in the single male spirit being decimated by an overpowered slash by a frustrated Kuwabara's sword. Yusuke went last, suffering under the waterfall of tears produced by Sorrow. He refused to say what happened and blushed whenever it was brought up. As the watchers, Kuwabara and Keiko watched the war-god hold a human Kagome awkwardly for the better part of an hour, letting itself cry to sleep before he quickly and silently killed her.
 
“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Yusuke muttered, absently pulling off his green jacked and white under tee. “Let's just get this show on the road already.”
 
“Whose turn is it today?” Kuwabara asked, copying Yusuke's movements with his sky-blue jacket. Keiko had changed on the bus' bathroom on the way over. She now wore a backless black halter with red embroidered dragon and a pair of black skinny jeans.
 
“Mine. And if things are in order, I'll be talking to Self-Worth.” Yusuke winced at Keiko's analysis. It wasn't that Keiko was bad socially, it was more like the two could never see eye to eye. For someone to see their own self-worth, they would need a friend to hold up the mirror to reflect their soul, not an enemy. Any action, any gesture or comment that could even hint in a negative way would shatter the soul behind the locks.
 
“Just,” Yusuke held up his hand in a helpless gesture, “try not to do anything stupid.” He would have volunteered himself to go, but with only seven gates, he had already taken on his two to defeat. To keep the balance, they had to keep equal opportunity with unlocking each one.
 
Keiko rolled her eyes, “I'm not stupid, Yusuke. I know what I'm doing here, unlike some idiots that went the wrong way.” Sitting down, Keiko waited for Kuwabara to start with one eye cracked. After two days, Inuyasha grew used to how the teens worked. Picking up the discarded shirts, he tossed them and the trio of school bags, onto the pale blue love seat. He had nothing to complain about though, whatever the trio was doing, it seemed to work. The first night, Kagome shifted on her own, her eyes moving rapidly under her eyelids in REM sleep, and last night she was even murmuring, on the verge of wakefulness. Though, despite all his attempts, Kagome remained untouchable in the realm of her mind.
 
In the dream realm, Keiko looked around, trying to pierce through the dense fog of unconsciousness. “Hello?” she called, knowing this was the correct spot.
 
“Go away!” the wavering voice called out from all angles, a denser section of fog moved, and a vague darker shape of a human, sorry, hanyou moved. “Leave me alone!”
 
“Sorry,” Keiko shook her head, hip jutted to one side and elbow resting on top, “no can do.” The fog chose this moment to clear enough for Keiko to watch the spirit turn and walk away. Squawking indignantly, she lunged and just managed to catch the end of its long shirt. Stopping, it turned to face Keiko, its expression blank. In fact, its entire face was blank. There was naught but two divots where the eyes should have been, its nose was a small ripple on the smooth face with nostrils, and its mouth. The mouth was invisible except for when it opened to speak.
 
“Why bother, leave me alone.” Turning to leave again, Keiko kept a hold on the plain shirt.
 
“No, I won't.” Seeing as she had its attention, she hoped, there was no face, Keiko stood straight and let go of the shirttail. “I won't leave you alone until you can show me your face.” The spirit turned completely toward Keiko and presented a plain brown sack. She had the impression that it was smirking as she cautiously looked inside.
 
“Eiya!” Keiko yelped, nearly dropping the bag. She expected things, but not the bag actually looking back at her. In fact, quite a few sets of eyes stared back, and she swore that one even winked at her.
 
“Ah…?” Keiko looked up at the blank figure, hoping for an explanation.
 
Shrugging, it turned away, only for a sleeve to be grabbed. “Ch-chotto matte!” Keiko looked between the Faceless and the bag held delicately by one corner. “I'm supposed to find your face now, aren't I?”
 
Faceless shrugged again, “It's yours now. Leave me alone.” Its voice was almost as bland as its non-existent face, though touched with a bit of annoyance.
 
Tugging on the sleeve once more, she drew Faceless down to sit on a log beside her. “I told you, I'm not leaving. Please, just sit down.”
 
The body flinched, but complied, “I've done some horrible things, let me go.” Keio had no clue that the simple word `sit' would drag the spirit deeper into despair.
 
“Look, we've all done things we regret.” She started off, trying not to squirm as she dug through the bag she held for a matching eye that blinked up from her lap. “The idea is that we move on and learn from those experiences. Take me for example.” She held up an eye, scrutinizing it carefully before putting it back. “Do you know how hard it is to deal with not knowing whether your boyfriend is going to go off and die or get another girlfriend. I mean, he could come back one day and say `Keiko, meet my mate!' Sometimes I wonder why I haven't broken up with him.”
 
“That's cold.” Yusuke murmured, watching the scene through his spectral form. There was definitely some `Keiko-only' time to be needed, and soon.
 
“There,” Keiko held up a pair of matching eyes, handing them to the no-face. “Can you try this on? See? We all do things that we end up questioning; it's just what you do with it that matters.” It was easier to find the matching mouth and nose, the same ones that Kagome had since she was a child. Finally seeing the familiar face, Keiko smiled. The hanyou attempted to smile back, but something was off.
 
Back to digging through the bag, she pulled out a different mouth for her to try on, “Like with me and Yusuke, he would be completely lost if I wasn't waiting for him. Sometimes all it takes is for a single person to wait for you to come home. Do you wait for anyone, or do thy wait for you?”
 
“Mama,” the no-longer-faceless looked away, remembering. Even with the correct facial features, the hanyou still held no expression.
 
(O)
 
“Mama…”
 
“What? Kagome, are you awake?” Inuyasha jumped up from his seat, rushing to his sleeping mate's side. The word was more like a breath of air, but Inuyasha didn't care. Leaning over his sleeping beauty, he brushed errant bangs out of her face, opposite hand planted on her other side. “Please, look at me, anything,” he whispered, desperate. Nodding, Inuyasha stood up, taking a steadying breath. It was just his imagination, a hallucination from stress and lack of sleep. Maybe some fresh air would do some good. The kids were focused on whatever they were doing and weren't any threat at the moment.
 
Turning away, he dragged his suddenly leaden feet to the door. Hand resting on the knob, he took another breath, a steadying one this time, and turned it. Forcing himself not to look back. The click of the door shutting ricocheted in his ears like a death toll. The empty hall echoed his muffled footsteps, reflecting the empty hope that rattled his dead chest.
 
“Inuyasha…”
 
(O)
 
“Inuyasha?” the face echoed, learning a confused expression.
 
Keiko nodded, “Yeah, and Kurama, Sango-san and Miroku-san as well. They're waiting for you to come back, to wake up again.”
 
“No,” she shook her head, “they're all dead, how can they be the ones waiting for me?”
 
Keiko smirked and shrugged. “Your wish must have had some incredible health plan, since Miroku-san and Sango-san look really, really good for being almost five-hundred year old humans. And you know Kurama's at least waiting for you. Dang, if I wasn't dating Yusuke, I'd be after fox tail faster than you can say `bishonen'! Brains, brawn, looks and manners… and available. Dang, why is that boy still single? You can never find all the good stuff in one guy these days!” Faceless finally cracked a smile at that, shaking her head.
 
“Couldn't find it all that often back then either.” Keiko responded with a relieved smile and laugh. The specter soon faded, and then the world beyond as she came back to the conscious plane.
 
(O)
 
“Hey Keiko,” Yusuke smiled softly, “you wanna take a break before going the last round?”
 
Looking down at Kagome's sleeping face, Keiko nodded, “Yeah, that might be a good idea. Have we decided who will go in a third time yet?” I don't exactly want to do it twice in a row, but I can if I have to.”
 
The boys shrugged, not exactly wanting to say anything about going a third time. “Oi,” Kuwabara looked around, noticing a missing occupant, “where did Inuyasha go?”
 
“Dunno.” Yusuke turned to leave, “Probably in the crapper. Hurry up; I smell your mother's dinner almost ready. Oden from the smell of it.” Waving back, Yusuke left, off to get first dibs on the choice bits. Keiko shook her head, following after her boyfriend. Sometimes she had to swear demonic powers enhanced his nose as well, but he'd always been like that.
 
(O)
 
“Kagome's gone!” Sango slammed into the dining room, bereft of the tray she had brought up for Inuyasha's dinner.
 
“Wut?” Yusuke asked, halfway through a dumpling.
 
“Where's Inuyasha, wasn't he with her?” Miroku asked, sitting back, refusing to get panicked until he knew all the facts.
 
Sango shook her head, but Keiko was the only one to speak up. “He wasn't there when we got done; we thought he was using the bathroom.”
 
“Got her.” As soon as Sango had barged in, Kuwabara focused his spirit energy on Kagome's aura tag, seeking her out. Standing up, he held up his hands, forming a circle and crosshairs with a random dot in one quadrant. “She's not that far.” The visual was purely for the others to see, and an exorcise in manipulation control.
 
“Dang,” Yusuke sighed, looking at his untouched and cooling oden, standing up. “Auntie would kill us if we lost her little girl.” Walking the direction that Kuwabara indicated, he wasn't surprised when the others followed.
 
“I'll go find Inuyasha.” Miroku volunteered, detouring to the dojo to pick up a quarter staff. After living the past few hundred years with the errant hanyou, he pretty much knew where all his hiding spots were.
 
Opening the shoji door to the dojo, Miroku easily spotted the head of white hair and bright red polo shirt that sulked on the porch. “Oi,” the quarter staff simply fell, the hard wood hitting right between puppy ears. “Do you know where your mate is?” Each word was punctuated with another hit.
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha snorted, not moving except for the flattening of his ears, “she's still asleep up in her room, and not waking up any time soon.”
 
His grip tightened on the staff, swallowing a growled-out `idiot' and grabbed his collar, roughly pulling him off the porch railing. “No,” you idiot hanyou, “she's not. Obviously she's awake, since she's no longer in her room.” Taking care to find the big ones on the rock path, Miroku dragged Inuyasha toward where he felt the others going.
 
“Kagome's awake?” Inuyasha asked incredulously, pulling from Miroku's grip on his now stretched-out collar.
 
“And missing,” Miroku crossed his arms, resisting smacking the hanyou around a few more times. “What you you do if you woke up in a strange place with nobody familiar around?”
 
Inuyasha snorted, looking up from where he sat on the path, “What about—“
 
“They're teenagers, Inuyasha. They assumed you were in the bathroom and left to get food…” Rolling his eyes, Miroku realized that Inuyasha stopped paying attention to the lecture when he started sniffing around for her scent.
 
“This way.” Inuyasha murmured, standing up and walking off, ignoring the flower beds in his way and just leaping over them. Huffing in annoyance, Miroku followed, taking the path that he had already been walking on.
 
The group had already found Kagome, kneeling in a copse of trees, and spread out, hiding in the surrounding bushes. Unsure what to really do, they watched her for a sign. It didn't seem like she was going to run again, but she still twitched at every sound. Landing gently, Inuyasha didn't bother hiding like the others. Walking past the bush Yusuke kneeled behind, the boy shot him a hushed `be careful' with the tone more along the line of `don't hurt her.' Nodding, he pushed past the bush, accidently snapping a dry twig.
 
Startled, Kagome spun around and growled. She smelled somewhat familiar scents, but couldn't remember exactly from where. “Kagome?” a white man spoke gently, standing tall, “do you remember me?” his hands were held in a placating gesture. A step forward forced her eyes to glue to his, though her ears twitched wildly. People, everywhere, surrounded. The man took another step and she shifted to a crouch easily.
 
“Shit, she's gonna run!” Yusuke hissed, and she did, hearing the anger-sound. Stars exploded behind his eyes, courtesy of a hard smack from Sango.
 
“Stalking rule number one: be quiet.” She growled, standing up. She watched Inuyasha's retreating back as he chased after a panicking Kagome. “Great, well, we might as well go back in. Show's over, everyone.” Clapping, she herded the teens back inside, only to meet with a confused Kurama in the front hall.
 
“Mama's gone.” He stated, eyes wide.
 
Shooing the others back to the dining room, Sango nodded. “Apparently she woke up after the latest session to an empty room and ran. Inuyasha's going after her now.”
 
“Should I—“
 
“No, don't bother.” Sango held up her hand and shook her head. “Inuyasha might be an idiot, but he knows to bring her back when she's ready. Though don't ask me when that will be. Have you had dinner yet?' she asked, gesturing to the full dining room. “I made oden, so you might want to hurry before it disappears completely.” Blushing, he went in and grabbed a clean bowl to serve himself.
 
“How were classes? Miroku asked as soon as Kurama took his first bit. Nearly turning the same pink as his school uniform, he managed to swallow and smile.
 
“Good. There was a test in botany today, though I'm positive to get a good grade.” He gave a wry grin that made Miroku chuckle. One thing with having an extended life was re-taking classes as students that they could most likely teach better than their sensei. For example, Miroku had just finished a theology class focusing on Buddhism. More than once he had to bite his cheek to keep from correcting misinformation.
 
“I hope so; I have no clue what your mother would do if you didn't.”
 
“Miroku,” Sango sighed, “do you really have to?” She stood by the door, trying to be subtle with her lookout for the hanyou couple.
 
“Anata, come sit down,” Miroku waved at his wife, “it's been five hundred years to catch up on, it might take a while.”
 
“Yeah, I'm jus—“ Sango turned from the door, only to see Miroku waggling his brows. “You perv—She's pregnant Miroku!”
 
“That didn't stop us, did it dear?” Sango huffed and sat down across her mate.
 
“That's great, I'm done eating.” Kuwabara pushed his half-eaten bowl away and stood up. “I'm going out.”
 
“Ok, have fun,” Kuwabara could swear his father smiled evilly, “Just announce your presence if you disturb anyone!” The teen's face couldn't decide whether to be red, green or white in fright as he walked out the door.
 
(O)
 
“Kagome, stop!” Caution trying not to hurt her led to the extended chase that Inuyasha was quickly tiring of. “This is getting ridiculous,” he muttered. Taking a long leap, he caught her around the middle, rolling mid-air to take the brunt of the fall. On the ground, Kagome clawed and growled to get free, unsuccessful in everything but to have gentle arms wrap around her torso tighter.
 
Taking an ear, Inuyasha bit down gently, growling low in his throat. It tended to generally be a relaxing sound, and this time was no different. “Kagome, can you talk to me?” he asked hesitantly. She had gone limp, though her hard breathing proved she was still awake.
 
“Inu… Yasha?” she asked softly, not knowing what was happening.
 
“Kagome, my Kagome.” He whispered, failing at keeping his emotions in check. Arms wrapped around her tightly, one hand splayed on the small bump of life on her abdomen. His nose buried in her hair, her unique scent like a drug. “Five hundred years, love, five hundred long years. Please don't leave me again.” Out in the middle of the forests with his face buried in her hair, he didn't care any longer. Salt wafted in the air and her hair became soaked with silent tears.
 
“Inuyasha, what happened?” she asked, frightened, unable to move. Ignoring her question, he started in on her junction, alternating between bites and desperate kisses. Eventually grip loosened only enough to turn around to face her mate. Her question turned into a moan as he found a particular spot and scraped a fang against it. His hand slipped into her yukata, pressing against her heated flesh. Claws' scraping gently down her side sent shivers down her spine and raised goose pimples.
 
“Inuyasha?” she gasped, threading her hands through his hair, claw tips finding the base of his ears. Her yukata had slipped off one shoulder as her belt loosened, exposing her birth mark. His kisses trailed from the pulse on her throat down to the dip between her breasts.
 
Stopping suddenly, Inuyasha rested his forehead on her collarbone and shook his head. “No,” he whispered to himself, “Not now, not yet.” His breath cooled and warmed her chest wonderfully. Sitting back, he pulled his hand from her yukata and gently pulled it back up, smoothing it back to where it was supposed to be. Cupping her jaw, his thumb gently caressed her cheek. “I love you, Kagome. You have no idea how hard it was to wait five hundred hears to say that.” He gently caressed her lips, first with his thumb, followed tenderly by lips. “Especially when I was watching you grow up.” Chuckling, he kissed her forehead and stood up, holding out a hand. “Come one, the others are waiting back at the house.”
 
Taking his hand, she was easily swept up into a bridal hold. “Others?” Taking a quick spin, Inuyasha stole a brief kiss and smiled like a child before taking off.
 
“Do you remember your wish?” He didn't wait for an answer. “Apparently it had some very interesting results. A few years after you… disappeared, Sango and the pervert realized that they were looking remarkably good for a pair of old fogies -his words, not mine- so they left Edo.” Kagome could feel his shrug. “We think that the jewel gave them enough demonic blood to slow their aging to absolute minimum. They've been living in Briton for the last twenty or so, hunting down netherworld spirits. Your friend, Kazumaru, is their youngest brat.” Arriving at the edge of the back garden, Inuyasha let Kagome down and took her hand. “Though, time changes all, but the pervert's still a pervert. Speaking of…” Tugging her hand, Inuyasha pointed ahead to the couple sitting in a gazebo in the middle of the gardens.
 
“Ah, Kagome-chan!” Sango was the first to notice of the `human' pair and rushed out to envelop the (now much) younger girl in a hug.
 
“Hmm…” Miroku gave Kagome a brief hug and stepped back to inspect the girl, “You seem much too neat for a romp in the woods,” turning to Inuyasha, his hand rested on his chin. “You lost your stuff there ol' boy?”
 
“Wha-No!” Inuyasha turned red and they could tell how fast Kagome caught on by the speed of her face as it flushed. “I'm just not going to do something stupid like that to endanger the pups!” he growled out, stepping slightly forward to protect his mate.
 
“Inuyasha,” Sango smiled sweetly, “You're not going to hurt them, trust me.” Hand on his arm, she turned to Kagome with a wink. “Only once so far. Honey, it's even better the next time around!”
 
“Yeah,” Miroku couldn't help but grin, “and it's even better when she's pregnant. Greatest contraceptive out there!” Inuyasha was inventing a new shade of red and Kagome was making choking noises.
 
Smiling, Sango grabbed Kagome's arm and started dragging her toward the house. “Let's get you some new clothes, love, while your mate tries to kill my husband again, ok?” Indeed, the moment Kagome was dragged indoors, a strangled yell sounded from behind, complimented by the crunch of rocks and the chuckling of a half-apology.
 
Inside, they quickly encountered the teenagers lounging around, doing homework and chatting. Standing up quickly, Kurama gave Kagome a hug, burying his nose in the shorter woman's hair. “Mama, okaeri.” Kissing her brow, he barely noticed the shift from redhead to half a foot taller with platinum blonde hair, ears and tail.
 
“Shippou, my baby, tadaima.” Looking up, she shook her head in mock sorrow. “Though, I guess you're a little too tall for me to greet you properly.”
 
“Sorry, Mama,” Kurama grinned, easily dropping to his knees and putting his ears within easy reach. “Is this better?” An excited squeal was her response as he looped his arms around her waste in a hug, face pressed to her stomach like he was a child again. “Hello,” he murmured, too quiet to hear, “be good to mama, ok?” with a tendril of energy, he touched the two new life forms. Getting sparks of life in return brought a smile to his face and he gave in to the ear rub, purring in contentment.
 
“Shippou, honey, do you think I can get the whole story now?” Kagome asked softly, but it snapped him out of his fuzzy-relaxed state. “From the beginning.”
 
Nodding, he didn't bother pulling back. “You will, but after you're feeling better.” His thumb and first finger circled her wrist easily when he grabbed it, making a point. “We're not going anywhere soon, so don't worry.” Reluctantly pulling back, he shrunk back to his human form and stood up.
 
The others, who had been silent until now, took their turns, Yusuke first with a hug. “You're a pain to rescue, you know that?” He thumped her n the head lightly, “don't do that again.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. Its not like I try to get caught Yusuke.” Keiko looked up and gave a nod of the head, which was all that was needed between the two. In the background, Sango gave a wry smile. In her mind, `Kagome' was written as `perpetual bait,' despite being her best friend.
 
Lastly was Kuwabara, hand rubbing the back of his head and blush dusting the bridge of his nose. “Auntie Kagome…”
 
At that, Kagome burst into laughter, having to use the back of a chair to help keep her upright. “Don't you ever address me as aunt, Kuwabara.” Her eyes and voice broke no argument, despite the spattering of giggles that punctuated her speech. “If you do, I'd be forced to hurt you.”
 
“Yeah,” Yusuke spoke up from the couch he leaned against, “that'd make us relatives… I'd be a monkey's uncle.”
 
“Take that back, Urameshi!” Kuwabara growled, fist clenched and ready to swing.
 
Smirking, he stood up straight in prospective of a fight, “Why don't you make me, I'm right here.” Opening his arms wide, he completely dropped his defenses in a taunt. It had been too long since his last good brawl.
 
Outside you two.” Sango stepped between them before any furniture or antiques could be broken. “Your father and cousin-in-law are already sparring; maybe you can ask to join in?” The request was more like an order, the tone demanding immediate obedience. Bowing their heads, Kuwabara quickly led Yusuke out.
 
“Dang,” Kagome shook her head, waiting until the two had left. “I'm going to have to learn that, won't I?”
 
“Kazumaru may be my first boy, but I had three girls and Shippou to look after first… and Kohaku. All it takes is practice and a little diplomacy.” Looking after the boys, Sango turned and clapped her hands together. “Now, let's get some proper clothes on you and a good meal in your belly, and then we can have story time.” And with that, Sango dragged Kagome off to the bedrooms to try on clothes.
 
(O)
Yep, its official, I love writing the lines that Perverts get to say. Pure comedic 3AM gold there! Now, there is one thing I have to say that I hate to say, but it's true: reviews make me update faster. I have the next chapter already written up and all I need is to type it up… and I'm not doing that unless I get asked in reviews. I'm going for a solid 1000 reviews here; won't you help me in my goal?
 
Words you ought to know:
 
REM: Rapid Eye Movement; the time when you're dreaming when you're asleep.
Chotto matte: hold on; wait up.
Bishonen: cute/hot guy. Bishojo is cute girl.
Oden: Stew.
Shoji: sliding door of bamboo and waxed rice paper.
Anata: dear; affectionate term usually used from wife to husband, but can be used from husband to wife.
Yukata: lightweight summer kimono usually used to sleep in.
Okaeri: Welcome home
Tadaima: informal `I'm home.'
 
See you all next time!
 
Dark Inu Fan