InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bitter ❯ Bitter Companions ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own InuYasha or any other characters from the manga/anime. They belong to the creative genius of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
This was written for the IY_themes community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “monster” and the limit was 1000 words.
 
 
Title: Bitter Companions
Rating: T
Warning: Language
Word count: 900
Type: Canon divergence
Characters: Miroku and InuYasha
Summary: Miroku has decided he must leave the village.
 
 
Bitter Companions
 
Miroku's shoulders slumped and his staff was uncharacteristically silent as he walked away from the hut that he had shared with Sango - the one he had intended to be home for his family, the family that he would not have with her now. The monk was completely lost in his thoughts and almost walked right into the figure in red blocking the path. He halted when he realized InuYasha was impeding his way. “Don't try and stop me,” Miroku said bitterly.
 
Instead, InuYasha moved alongside him, shaking his head. He remained quiet, for which the distressed monk was grateful.
 
They walked together in silence, following the road that led away from the village. “I couldn't bear it any longer, but what kind of monster just up and leaves his wife?” Miroku mumbled.
 
The hanyou couldn't tell if his friend was speaking to him or talking to himself, so he offered no answer. He really didn't know what to say.
 
Miroku stopped. “You didn't disagree - I really am a monster. You think I should have stayed with her, that I should go back.”
 
InuYasha tugged an ear and laughed cynically. “You? Look at me - I'm the only monster here. I save freaking villagers time after time and they're still afraid of me. And honestly, I can't blame you for deciding to leave. I don't understand it though… I thought you two had been getting along pretty well. It seems like everything went to hell after you were married. What did you do to piss her off so?”
 
“That's just it - I have no idea. I've read a few palms and offered spiritual advice, but I have done nothing to make Sango so distrustful of me. I have not groped any others nor asked another woman to bear my child. This time it was because we went off and took care of that youkai extermination without her. She seemed to think I had an ulterior motive. Well… you heard… how could you not…all that screaming…” Miroku fell silent and began following the road again.
 
“She was right about one thing, you know,” InuYasha said as he walked next to his friend.
 
Miroku gripped his staff even more tightly, making his knuckles turn white. “You know that I have not done any of the things she said I had.”
 
“No, you haven't - but after awhile, when you've been accused so many fucking times of doing something you didn't, don't you ever feel like you might as well since you'll be blamed for it, anyway?” the hanyou responded. “Even if you had, I'd have said you hadn't because I figured she'd driven you to it. For once I could honestly say that it really wasn't your fault.”
 
The monk sighed. “You are right about that, my friend. I'll have to admit it crossed my mind a time or two, but I swore that I would be faithful to her and I kept my promise.”
 
“I know you did, bouzou,” InuYasha offered. “Is there anything I can do?”
 
“Well… I hate to make you the bearer of bad news - again,” Miroku began. “But would you please let Kaede know that I have gone? I know I promised to help her with some of the spiritual needs around the village, but I just cannot stay. I don't belong here if I'm not with Sango. I can't bear to be so close to her but not be able to be with her.”
 
“Yeah, I'll tell her,” the hanyou answered. “Where will you go? Will you find another village and try to settle down again?”
 
Miroku shook his head. “I will return home to Master Mushin and see what Buddha has in store for me. If you need me, at least for now, that is where you'll find me.”
 
InuYasha cocked an eyebrow at his friend. “You don't intend to turn into a drunk like him, do you?”
 
The monk shrugged his shoulders. “Right now it sounds like just the thing. Maybe it'll help dull the pain. I haven't even had any Sake in the house since we married because Sango doesn't like it. She said I'd just use it to blame my bad behavior on the alcohol… Nothing to hold me back now…”
 
“Just don't drown yourself in it. I'd hate to see you survive Naraku and that damned curse only to kill yourself in liquor,” he commented.
 
Miroku gave a hoarse, forced laugh. “This certainly isn't the `happily ever after' I was planning on. Life with Sango turned out to be nothing like I dreamed it would be. I just wish I knew… but it doesn't matter. I can't live with the accusations any more. I've been patient; I've been understanding; I've meditated - hell, I asked Kaede and even you for advice.”
 
That drew a snort from InuYasha. “Like I know anything about married life.”
 
The distressed monk stopped again. “I'm sorry, InuYasha. I didn't mean…”
 
The hanyou muttered, “I know.”
 
“Hey, do you want to come with me? We can get drunk together,” Miroku offered. “I know you've suffered, even if you never complain.”
 
“Sounds like a plan to me,” InuYasha agreed. “Let's go pay the old souse a visit. Who knows - maybe he'll have some tips for you.”
 
The monk gave a wry grin. “They'll probably be on the finer points of enjoying sake rather than marriage.”
 
The hanyou nodded. “Works for me.”