InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bitter ❯ Bitter Dreams ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I still don't own InuYasha or any other characters from the manga/anime. They belong to the creative genius of Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
This was written for the IY_themes community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “dark” and the limit was 750 words.
 
Title: Bitter Dreams
Type: divergence; takes place a few months after the defeat of Naraku
Genre: angst
Rating: T
Word Count: 750
Characters: Sango
Summary: Sango learns that one must be careful what you wish for.
 
 
Bitter Dreams
 
It had been several days since Miroku's abrupt departure. At first Sango had been so shocked she was numb. Then she tried to convince herself it was for the best - that it had been a mistake to marry him. After that the realization set in that she was lonely. She missed the banter they shared when they weren't arguing. When she thought about it, she realized she started their fights, too. Miroku usually tried to placate her, but for some reason, that just made her more angry.
 
She stood on the veranda of her hut watching the sun's agonizingly slow descent towards the horizon. The former slayer wished for darkness to fall so this everlasting day would finally be over.
 
 
After they first settled in Sango had only wanted to make friends with the other women in the village. She had none with Kagome gone, most likely for good. However, she had not been raised like a typical village girl and seemed to have little in common with them. They in turn did not really know how to act around her.
 
She never should have tried to insert herself into their midst by bathing with them.
 
It had all been perfectly innocent. She had been used to taking baths with Kagome and did not consider how others might see her. It wasn't long before she started hearing the whispers - why would a handsome man like that monk marry a disfigured woman like that? Not only was her back terribly scarred, her hands were heavily calloused and she was far too muscular. Then they'd started speculating what might be wrong with Miroku that he would settle for a woman not suitable as a wife. Word had traveled fast when he left and now it was a cross between pity and rounds of `I told you so' to each other.
 
Sango did the only thing she knew to do when she was aggravated. She took Hiraikotsu down from its place on the wall and started polishing it. She would not wallow in pity. She would go back to her former life.
 
And that's when it hit her - she had been happy being a wife and with the thought of being a mother. She had not missed her former life as a taijiya at all, though she did miss Kirara who had left with Kohaku. Maybe this was her punishment for throwing away everything she'd ever known.
 
In frustration she pulled out a small container of sake that she kept hidden away and downed it. Sango hugged her weapon and said aloud, “I wish you could talk to me like you did when you'd been poisoned. I think all I really am is bored from being alone.”
 
As she fell asleep with Hiraikotsu in her arms she wondered, `Was that regular sake or was that Yakurou Dokusen's stuff?'
 
Sango found herself floating in darkness and suddenly surrounded by a hoard of youkai. Frowning, she realized they looked familiar. `Hiraikotsu?'
 
`Why have you betrayed us?' the souls of her weapon asked.
 
`I don't understand,' she responded. `I have used you for the few exterminations I have handled.'
 
`That is not of what we speak,' the youkai souls replied. `Where is the one you swore to protect - the one who would protect you? The one you sacrificed us for?'
 
Before Sango could respond she was flooded with images - Miroku fighting her when she was possessed, Miroku asking her to be his wife, Miroku drinking Yakurou Dokusen's sake with no regret so that he could stand and fight by her side. `Wait - he did what? That's why Hiraikotsu agreed to fight with me again!' Sango kissing Miroku tenderly as she prayed for him not to die, the anxious wait by the vanished well when InuYasha and Kagome were missing, their first night together as husband and wife…
 
`What have I done?' she practically wailed in her mind as the bombardment continued. `Miroku really loved me and I threw it all away!'
 
A wave of nausea passed over her and she realized that she had no idea as to where her husband and InuYasha might have gone. As she lay alone in the darkness, staring at the ceiling, Sango tried to convince herself that Miroku was still nothing but a lecher like she claimed and that it was not her fault that he left. After all, a good husband would never abandon his wife, no matter how crazy she got… right? `Just keep telling yourself that, Sango.'