InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blackout ❯ The Way Forward, Part 2 ( Chapter 42 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc. I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc. I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created. I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.


The Way Forward, Part 2


Kagome woke bright and early the next morning, roused by her alarm clock and excited at the prospect of spending the day with Sango. Dressing took a little longer than usual because she was unused to the choice of attire. Not wishing to draw attention to herself, she had borrowed a loose-fitting kimono from one of the women of Kaede’s village. She would not advertise herself as a foreigner in strange garb, nor as a pregnant miko. She would, however, be bringing her bow and arrows. People could assume they were for self-defense or that she was carrying them for Sango, whom hiraikotsu would readily identify as a taijiya, i.e. not someone to mess with. Kagome didn’t expect any trouble, but one never knew.

Sango was fully dressed and almost finished preparing a quick breakfast by the time Kagome returned to the feudal era. The two of them shared the meal, along with Miroku, Shippou, and Kaede. Kagome offered Shippou the chance to come along, but the young fox declined, evidently finding construction work with the men more interesting than a shopping trip with the women. He did ask them to bring him something from the market, to which Kagome sagely replied that they would see what they could find. For his part, Miroku stated that he simply wished for both of them to return unharmed.

Sango rolled her eyes. “Yes, Houshi-sama, we’ll be careful,” she replied, planting a quick kiss on his lips as she strode out the door. Kagome chuckled at the scene, amused because not so long ago such an outward display of intimacy would have been unthinkable, even in the company of close friends. Sango was still reserved about showing affection in public, as most people of the time period were, but she and Miroku had certainly come a long way.

The journey took a little less than an hour as the fire-cat flies, which was a far cry better than traveling by foot. It was almost impossible to walk from Kaede’s village to the market and back on the same day. Kagome and Sango arrived well before the busiest time of day, even before many of the people from the wealthier towns closer to the market. Therefore they could enjoy the opportunity to make their way through the rows of various wagons and stands without fear of being jostled, for which Kagome was grateful. And the merchants had not yet been jaded by the stresses of the day, so most were pleasant enough. Kagome tried to help Sango shop but gave up after a few minutes of the taijiya barely glancing at her suggestions. Her friend was a woman on a mission, and Kagome left her to it. Sango would clearly know the right kimono when she found it.

It happened just as they were running out of offerings to peruse, at a small cart near the outskirts of the market. The owner didn’t have much inventory left, but as soon as he held up one particular kimono, Sango gasped and her hand flew to her mouth in disbelief. In retrospect, perhaps she shouldn’t have been so obvious with her elation. The merchant was a short, balding man in his fifties, and did not seem unkind, but his eyes lit up at the prospect of an impending sale, and his friendly grin took on a sly edge. Sango’s shoulders slumped as soon as the man named his price, and she turned away.

“Wait, Sango-chan!” Kagome whispered as she sidled up to her friend, striding purposefully away from the high-priced disappointment. “Why don’t you haggle with him a bit?”

“It’s no good, Kagome-chan,” the taijiya muttered sadly. “Even if the price is reduced by a quarter, it’s still more than half of Houshi-sama’s savings.”

Kagome grimaced and patted her friend’s shoulder sympathetically. No matter how much Sango wanted the kimono, she wasn’t willing to spend anywhere near that amount of money. Kagome couldn’t blame her, but that didn’t make the letdown any easier to swallow.

“Excuse me, miss?”

Both women turned to find that the shopkeeper had followed them. The sly edge to his smile still remained, but he seemed to be thinking with a different part of his brain now. His next words confirmed it.

“That weapon…you wouldn’t happen to be a taijiya, would you?”

Sango’s back straightened suddenly, her head perking up in sudden interest. “Yes, I am,” she replied with all the cool composure of a battle-hardened warrior.

“I see. I am returning to my home village tomorrow. It is almost a full day’s journey southwest of here. The last time I was there, about ten days ago, the village was having trouble with an infestation of rat youkai. Return with me to the village tomorrow. If the problem has already been solved, I will offer you the kimono at a one-tenth discount for your trouble. If the rats are still causing havoc and you exterminate them for us, I will offer a discount of one-half. In either case, I will secure comfortable lodging for the night for you and a companion. What do you say?”

Kagome’s first inclination was to start dancing a little jig, but fortunately Sango played it cool this time, staring off to the side in contemplation before speaking. “I agree to the terms except that I expect a discount of three-fourths for my services.”

The merchant chuckled. “Beautiful and a shrew negotiator! Your husband-to-be is a lucky man.” Seeing that his flattery was having no effect, the man jumped right back into business. “A discount of six-tenths upon extermination of the youkai.”

“Seven-tenths.”

“Two -thirds. My final offer.”

“Deal.”

“Excellent! We will depart for my village as soon as you arrive here tomorrow morning.”

Business concluded, Sango and the merchant exchanged a few pleasantries then went their separate ways. The taijiya didn’t reveal her excitement until she and Kagome were well out of sight and earshot of the merchant. She was clearly trying not to get her hopes up, in case the situation at the merchant’s village had changed, but it was a losing battle.

Seeing that her pregnant friend was starting to sag, Sango led Kagome over to a secluded spot under a tree and left her there with Kirara while she went hunting for a cheap treat for Shippou. The miko spent a relaxing few minutes enjoying the relative quiet and petting the fire-cat, glad to be off her feet. Her ankles were going to be especially swollen tonight, but it was well worth it in her book. When Sango returned with the aforementioned treat, she joined Kagome in relaxation. The peace gave the miko a chance to think about the following day.

“Hey, Sango-chan?”
“Yeah?”

“Why don’t you take Miroku-sama with you tomorrow?”

Sango frowned. “I thought you were going with me? Seiki-san said you could ride in his cart so you don’t have to walk the whole way.”

“I know, but that’s still a long journey. And I’m trying not to advertise myself as a miko, remember? You might need someone with spiritual power to help you exterminate the youkai.”

Sango snorted. “Never needed any help exterminating youkai before…”

“Okay, so maybe not. But it would still be nice to travel with Miroku-sama, right? You two haven’t had much time to yourselves lately, have you?”

“W-well, no, I guess not.”

“See! It might be your last chance to be alone with him before the wedding. You could fly back to Kaede’s village on Kirara as soon as the job is done, or you could take your time…and enjoy each other’s company.”

The suggestive hint had the desired effect, causing Sango to blush darkly. But it also set the wheels in her head to turning, and Kagome knew she wouldn’t have to argue the point any further. Miroku-sama, you really owe me one…

After returning to Kaede’s village, Kagome ate lunch with her friends then returned to the modern era and took it easy for the rest of the day. It was amazing how even a short outing could sap her energy reserves now. Another thing to love about the third trimester. But the period of discomfort would be over soon; in less than two months, she would hold her child in her arms for the first time. And that thought was the perfect way to put all of life’s little experiences in the proper perspective.

* * *

Miroku and Sango departed for the merchant’s village on a Friday and had yet to return by Sunday morning. Kagome wasn’t really worried, figuring that they’d simply taken her advice to ‘enjoy each other’s company.’ She would check in again that afternoon, but in the meantime, her mother was plotting something. Kagome’s birthday had snuck up on her this year; she hadn’t even realized it was today until Jii-chan presented her with one of his patented ‘old priest’ style gifts at the breakfast table. This time it was a dried duck’s foot, which was apparently supposed to lighten her child’s disposition if worn around her neck. Since she didn’t believe that for a second, and since wearing the hideous, smelly thing would likely worsen her disposition, Kagome did what she always did with Jii-chan’s gifts–she gave it to Buyo.

Later, she could not honestly say that she was surprised when Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi appeared around lunchtime with more presents. She had suspected that her mother was putting something together, but was grateful for the thought nonetheless and doubly grateful for the low-key nature of the celebration. It was enough to remind her that her friends and family cared about her, without giving her a headache or making her feel like she needed a six hour nap afterwards. When everyone left, she did take a short catnap to recharge her batteries before going back to the feudal era.

She found Sango in Kaede’s hut, having returned only recently with her fiancé. The taijiya could be seen practically bouncing off the floor in excitement as she knelt with the new kimono laid out before her, carefully making a few alterations. But she folded it up and set it aside in order to share the story with her friend. Obviously the rat-youkai infestation had not been resolved by the time she and Miroku reached the merchant’s home village. In fact, it had only gotten worse. The little creatures had given up their herbivorous ways and had begun taking livestock, an untenable situation for the village. Fortunately, Kirara’s presence seemed to scare off the nocturnal rodents that night. The following morning, the fir-cat located the vermin’s nest, where the whole lot of them slept. Then Sango exterminated the nest using the poison she had prepared the previous evening. Everything was going according to plan until the parents of the rat brood emerged. Their viciousness was matched only by their size, and with each being larger and heavier than a man, that was saying something. Fortunately Sango was ready with hiraikotsu and made short work of them before they could hurt anyone. And thus the rat infestation was ended.

Seeing the two large rat-youkai for the first time had caused the villagers to realize the true extent of their peril, and they insisted that the merchant give Sango the kimono for free. It also helped that Miroku stated that he sensed an ‘ominous presence’ hanging over the village proper and promised to drive it out. He had never given Sango a straight answer when she asked him whether he made that up, but she supposed it didn’t really matter. The village really had been lucky that she showed up when she did, so she didn’t feel guilty about imposing upon the merchant. Seiki surrendered his property with good grace, this time telling Miroku how fortunate he was to be marrying a woman who was as ‘capable as she is beautiful.’ Again, the compliment had no effect on said woman, though Miroku’s quiet acknowledgment of the point did make her blush just a bit.

The couple spent another night in the village before making their way back home the following day, walking part of the way and riding on Kirara for the rest. Before turning in that evening, however, they journeyed to a nearby hot spring which Miroku knew of. In fact, it might even have been the one in which the monk first ‘met’ Kagome and Inuyasha. There, Miroku and Sango bathed together for the first time, though according to the taijiya the monk had been a perfect gentleman…at least with his hands. As for his eyes, Sango didn’t quite believe that Miroku had kept them closed for the entire time he was supposed to–not that she really minded. Especially not when she confessed, after much teasing on Kagome’s part, to taking a very small peek herself.

The miko would have enjoyed teasing her friend some more, but nature had begun calling rather insistently, so she excused herself. She didn’t see Sango duck out of the hut after her and run off with some urgency. By the time Kagome returned, fully intent on wringing from her friend whether she had liked what she had seen in the hot spring, the preparations were complete.

“SURPRISE!!!”

“Kyaa!”

Kagome held her hand against her chest and steadied herself against the doorframe. In the few minutes of her absence, Miroku, Shippou, Kirara, and even Kaede had snuck into the old miko’s hut. And there in the middle of the room sat something which looked suspiciously like a birthday cake. Obviously it wasn’t the same as the one her mother had made for her, this being five hundred years before the modern era. But it was clearly a birthday cake, and this was clearly a surprise party.

“Happy birthday, Kagome!” Shippou exclaimed, his tail practically wagging in exuberance. The others repeated the sentiment, the strange words sounding slightly foreign on their tongues.

Kagome’s knees wobbled, and she moved to sit in the open space they’d left in the circle. Through teary eyes she met each of their gazes in turn, simultaneously overcome with emotion and disbelief. Birthdays weren’t even celebrated in this time period! She couldn’t remember ever mentioning the practice to them, and yet here they were, surprising her with a party.

“H-How did you know?” she managed, sniffling and drying her eyes.

“Some time ago you mentioned in passing the custom of celebrating the anniversary of one’s birth in your time,” Miroku stated. “We kept the idea in the back of our minds ever since.”

“B-but, that must have been nine months ago!” Kagome exclaimed, now vaguely recalling the conversation.

“Two hundred sixty-three days, to be exact. You showed us on your calendar when it was, and our young Shippou kept track of it all this time.” Said fox could be seen puffing out his chest in pride. For a few moments Kagome could think of nothing to say. Part of her still couldn’t believe they had gone to such trouble just to honor a foreign custom, but that was the type of people they were. She was beyond lucky to have them.

“You guys are the best friends I could ever ask for,” she declared, managing a watery smile. “Thank you.”

“Is it time for presents, Kagome?” Shippou asked excitedly. “When do you open presents? Will you open my present first? Can–”

“Yes, Shippou-chan,” Kagome interrupted, amused by his youthful enthusiasm. “We can do presents whenever you want, and I’ll open yours first.”

The kit wasted no time in presenting his gifts, though he seemed somewhat nervous as she unwrapped them. Kagome soon discovered why. At least now I know why he’s been asking me for so many art supplies. Shippou had given her two paintings, and while they had obviously not been done by the next child prodigy of the art world, it was clear that he had put a lot of time and effort into them. The first was a standard portrait, with each member of the Inu-gang standing together and smiling at the observer. Inuyasha and Miroku stood in the back, with Sango and Kagome in front and Kirara and Shippou held in their respective arms. The other painting was more of an ‘action’ scene. Miroku could be seen with a bright red hand print on his face, his right arm raised and clutching at empty air. Sango stood nearby, her arms folded over her chest in irritation. Further to the left, Inuyasha squatted with Shippou held by the tail in his outstretched hand, gazing down at the rosary around his neck with a look of sudden panic. The power had just started to pull him toward the ground, courtesy of Kagome, who appeared off to the side in the midst of shouting the ‘osuwari’ command.

“I didn’t know if I should include…you know,” Shippou muttered. “I can redo them if you want.”

“They’re perfect just the way they are, Shippou-chan,” Kagome answered honestly. “Inuyasha…is a part of our family even if he’s not here. I’m going to frame these and hang them in my room so I can look at them every day.”

Would the pictures remind her of what she was missing? Probably. But they would also inspire memories of happier times, and that would always be welcome. She didn’t want to forget about Inuyasha, after all, and Shippou’s pictures would help her to remember the way things once were, and why she had fallen for her hanyou in the first place.

Kagome loved her other gifts as well. Kaede and Sango gave her some comfortable garments to wear in the feudal era, and Miroku presented her with an elaborate sutra he had made. It consisted of several pieces of paper, and had been crafted in the rough shape of a hawk using a basic form of the complex art of paper folding which would be invented later. If hung in the doorway of a room, the inscriptions written on the paper were said to promote a tranquil atmosphere and ward off negative thoughts. Kagome promised to hang it in her bedroom, since she trusted that Miroku’s work would have some effect. The trick would be preventing her grandfather from taking it down and dissecting it for study.

The friends celebrated through dusk and into the early evening, before Kagome finally called it a night. She hung the pictures and the sutra as promised, and tried on the clothes. As she went to sleep later, she couldn’t help but feel that everything would work out in the end. Whether she had the sutra’s magic or the wonderful people around her to thank for that, she would probably never know. Either way, it was a refreshing change. If she could bring herself to honestly feel this way just once each day, then she would be all right.

* * *

Miroku and Sango’s wedding a week later was everything Kagome could have hoped for. A simple ceremony without much pomp and circumstance, but nevertheless a perfect reflection of the man and woman being joined in matrimony. Sango was nothing short of dazzling in the kimono modeled so closely after her mother’s, and despite his well-kept hair and formal attire, Miroku still exuded the impression of the charming rogue who had won her heart. It was abundantly clear to anyone observing the couple that they were incredibly happy, and deeply in love. Having mentally prepared herself for inevitable feelings of jealousy, Kagome was able to wrap them up and bury them deep inside. This day was for her friends, her beacon of pure light in this world which was perhaps not quite as dreary as she once thought.

As day turned to evening with the festivities showing no sign of abating, a tired Kagome bade her friends a fond farewell and excused herself for the night. She initially declined Miroku’s offer to walk her to the well, but relented when he and Sango insisted. It was a peaceful journey, with the monk relaxing visibly as the sounds of the celebration faded in the distance. Kagome grinned, reflecting how much he must be looking forward to the time when it would be socially acceptable for him to take his bride away from the well-wishers and into his arms, then into their bed. He and Sango were grateful to the villagers of course, but Kagome knew that Miroku wasn’t the only one looking forward to their wedding night.

“What is it?” she asked after finding him staring at her with a contemplative expression.

“Hm? Oh, I was just thinking about how far we’ve come.”

“You and Sango-chan especially,” Kagome observed with a smile. “From a hopeless letcher to a happily married man in under a year? How the heck did that happen?”

“I don’t think I will ever fully understand it,” Miroku stated, only partially in jest.

“Well, make sure you enjoy this part of your life that’s just beginning. Starting with tonight, of course. Remember, I expect my son to have some playmates around his own age.”

The last part was intended as a joke, but held elements of seriousness as well. It would be so important for her son to be raised with children who accepted him for who he was, since in all likelihood he would grow up without a father.

“Sango and I will have to get started on that right away then,” Miroku replied amusedly, before his expression sobered. He obviously noticed Kagome’s sudden melancholy, and understood the reason behind it.

“Do not lose hope, Kagome-sama,” he said, placing his hand on her shoulder. “Inuyasha survived against the odds for as long as he has by being resilient. He has surprised us before, has he not?”

“I suppose,” Kagome admitted, allowing the words to soothe away some of her heartache.

It was true that all hope was not lost. It was also true that the odds were once again stacked against Inuyasha. In all likelihood, she would never see him again. Rather than being weighed down by despair, however, she felt determination stir within her. For the sake of her and Inuyasha’s child, she would stay strong. Tomorrow her mother planned a trip to the beach and a ryokan, which would undoubtedly be her longest outing in public since her pregnancy became obvious. After that, she would start attending meetings of the local pregnancy group, also at her mother’s urging. She would do what expectant mothers were supposed to do, on both sides of the bone eater’s well, with the exception of attending regular prenatal appointments. And that also was for her child’s benefit, since his canine features would be even more pronounced at this stage of his development.

At any rate, she was definitely through with lying in bed and feeling sorry for herself. With the help of her friends and family, she would forge a way forward.

* * *

Kikyou eyed him warily, clearly studying him with more than her visual senses. Her bow was in hand, an arrow already laid across the limb just above the grip. She was ready to draw and fire at a moment’s notice, and the look in her eyes told Hakago that she would not hesitate to do so.

It was perfect. Absolutely perfect.

“Hmph. So it is true, then,” the dead miko observed calmly. “You really are Naraku’s discarded heart.”

Hakago cackled, making sure to speak with the most feral version of Inuyasha’s voice he could muster. He prowled back and forth before his prey, like a restless predator seeking the perfect moment to pounce.

“Indeed, I was once a part of Naraku. But I am greater than my foolish predecessor ever was. Today I will finish what he could not. I’m going to tear you into so many pieces that not even the Kami themselves will be able to resurrect you again.”

He felt Inuyasha’s resistance rise within him, dark and desperate. But he also sensed the hanyou’s fear. That’s right, you worthless half-breed. I’m going to kill one of the women you love with your own claws, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

“How amusing,” Kikyou declared, her tone suggesting just the opposite. “Naraku could not kill me, and neither can his infant spawn. I will drive you out of Inuyasha and purify you. Then I will take Inuyasha to the underworld with me.”

“Ah, but will Inuyasha go with you willingly?” Hakago pondered, seeking to get under his adversary’s skin. Kikyou’s eyes narrowed slightly but she otherwise gave no indication that his words affected her.

“It matters not. Once his soul has been reunited with mine in the underworld, he will realize that by my side is where he truly belongs. You, on the other hand, will be forgotten. No one will mourn you, or remember your name. It will be as though you never existed.”

“I’m going to make you eat those words, bitch,” Hakago snarled, tamping down on his irritation. How could an abomination raised from the dead in an artificial body be so arrogant? Before I kill you, Kikyou, I’m going to savor the look on your face when you realize how weak you really are.

And with Kikyou’s demise, the remnants of Inuyasha’s resistance would fade away like so much dust in the wind. He was so close to final victory; he could practically taste it when he licked his lips in anticipation.

Fangs bared, eyes ablaze with malicious fire, he circled his prey.


A/N – I hope I haven’t Americanized Japanese birthdays too much. I know that celebrating birthdays was a western import starting in the twentieth century. But Kagome’s family seemed to have adopted the custom somewhat (i.e. Jii-chan giving her fully-wrapped gift in chapter one of the manga), so I don’t think I’m too off base here.

For those of you waiting for the action to resume, look forward to next chapter! You can tell that something big will happen just by how this chapter ended. I tried to cover the last 2-3 months of timeline as quickly as I felt comfortable with, while also showing some things which I thought were important. For example, I don’t think I would be doing Kagome’s character justice if I didn’t show her struggle with grief, and her ultimate resolve to move past it.