InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bleeding Heart ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
An uneventful week passed for Kagome. She had been kept busy catching up on school work and friendly gossip. She had been surprised to learn that the school was holding the fall dance on the fast approaching Saturday. Yuki and Eri had been quick to find her a date so she could attend. Ayumi and her had spent the former afternoon shopping for a new dress since Kagome had found that she had grown a little taller and filled out a little more in certain areas since she had been to a dance last. Come to think of it, it had been before her encounter with Inuyasha and the others since she had had the chance to attend such a function.

Ayumi had let out such a gasp when Kagome had stepped out of that dressing room, that Kagome thought perhaps a demon was attacking. She had know idea that it was her transformation that had fostered such a reaction.

“Your beautiful Kagome! That is definitely the dress.” Ayumi had gushed with glee.

Kagome smiled to herself once again remembering her friends reaction. She stopped before the long flights of stairs that rose to her home. “Another week done. Thank god today is Friday. I'm glad I have tomorrow to rest from school. The dance tomorrow night should be fun. I wonder what my night will be like. I guess it was nice for Hojo to agree to Yuki and Eri's constant bantering and be my date. I couldn't bear to go alone. At least I know Hojo. God only knows what it would have been like if those two would have set up a bind date.”

She finally reached her doorstep and smiled at the feeling of security and comfort that instantly flooded over her. She thought of how nice it had been to actually come home every night to her mother and grandfather, as well as little brother Souta. Home cooked meals, running water, and a nice cozy bed to sleep in. It's funny how you take the simple things for granted until you go without for some time.

She paused for one more moment before opening the door.

“Mom, I'm home!”


“Gosh, Inuyasha, it's been a whole week. Kagome must be really mad at you.” Shippo had barely got the sentence out when he was hit on the head with a large fist.

“Shut up Shippo.” Inuyasha growled. The week had taken its toll on the half demon who was now very easily provoked. He spent most of the week trying desperately to break through the seal. He had even used the Tetsiaga, but had only managed to blow apart the wooden structure surrounding the well.

“Ouch! What did you do that for? If Kagome was here she would have sat you into next month.” Shippo responded a little teary eyed and ran over to a nearby log to pout.

If Kagome was back, I probably wouldn't have minded being sat. I would just be happy that she was back with me. God, Kagome, Why haven't you forgiven me yet? Why are you still so mad? I'd give anything just to have you back with us.” He sat cross legged, resting his back against a tree, staring into the flames of their meager cooking fire. He glanced again towards the well. The shattered wood around it reminded him of his shattered heart. “I promise you this Kagome, when I finally find you, you will know what you mean to me and I'll never let you leave me again.” He finally grinned at his next thought. “Not even if it means chaining you to a tree. Not even if it means bonding you to me by making you my mate.”

Inuyasha frowned at that last thought, “She would never willingly be my mate. Who could possibly love a half demon? She may think of my only as a friend, but to me she is so much more. I don't care if she doesn't love me. I don't care if I'm selfish. She will be mine the next time we meet.” He now glared into the fire lost in his thoughts.

Kagome was restless that night, unable to fall asleep she sat staring out at the moon shining through her bedroom window. The pale moonlight was relaxing to her. She had gotten used to its relaxing tendencies after sleeping under it for so long. Her eyes shifted to the bottle on her desk. The sacred jewels twinkled in the light that was cast softly through her window.

The shards, I completely forgot! I guess I should return them to the feudal era. I don't want to bump into Inuyasha though. He's probably furious now, after all, I could only imagine if he tried to come through the well. Oh, what do I do now? I guess if I kept them here, Naraku could never make the Shikon jewel whole. On second thought, I guess he could just wait 500 yrs and attack me in my sleep. Returning them would be the best option. Then Kikyo could purify them and this whole mess would be cleaned up for good.” Kagome thought for a moment as she stared at the shards once more. “I guess that settles it, I'll have too take them back! Tomorrow is the last day of my crazy adventure. Once the shards are returned, I'll have no reason to return and I can concentrate on returning to normal.”

A single tear escaped from her tired eyes. “Normal Huh? I can't say that not having Inuyasha and the others around will make me feel normal. I guess to better their lives I'll have to endure some pain. It's for the best. Right, I am doing the right thing! Aren't I?”

Morning came to the Higurashi residence without incident. Kagome had slept in until 10am since she had such a time falling to sleep the night before. She slid into a pair of faded jeans and pulled on a long sleeved shirt. Grabbing the jar, she began the short walk to the well.

Opening the door to the well, she smiled to herself when she saw what awaited her. It seemed her grandfather had been up to his usual antics, because the well was once again boarded up and sutras littered the top of it. She walked slowly towards the steps that lead down towards the well. When she reached the third step down she paused and sat upon the steps. Buyo, who was linger at the door, paddled over to join her.
“Well Buyo, it appears I have some work to do before I can even get these shards back to their rightful era! I wonder how long the seal I put on the well will last. I shouldn't have to worry about it after a month is up. By then Inuyasha and the others will have moved on and forgotten all about me.” Buyo meowed and rubbed up against Kagome before jumping into her lap. “I wonder what they are doing right now. Shippo is probably harassing Inuyasha something fierce. And Miroku is probably up to his old antics and harassing poor Sango. Oh Buyo, I am going to miss them all terribly.”

Kagome stood up and Buyo, surprised by the sudden movement fell off only to again land on his head. “Well, no time like the present, I had best be getting the wood off the well so I can get these shards back.”

Kagome had just grabbed the hammer and was preparing to pry the first nail out of the wood, when she heard someone calling.

“Kagome.....Kagome Dear! Telephone.”

“Telephone huh? I guess this can wait a little longer. It's probably Ayumi wanting to know my plans for tonight and the dance.” she thought as she turned to ascend the stairs before her.

“Coming mother!” she shouted as she climbed up and out of the well building.

The day was spent in a fevered excitement as Ayumi had only phoned to announce that she was coming over. The two girls had spent the day pampering themselves and preparing for the dance. The evening was finally upon them and both were busy doing their hair and makeup.

“So Kagome, your okay with going to the dance with Hojo? I tried to tell Yuki and Eri that perhaps it was too soon for them to be pushing you into something like this. I just wanted you to know that I talked to Hojo early this morning and told him a little about your situation.” Ayumi paused when she saw Kagome look up at her in a surprised manner. “ Oh, no Kagome don't think that. I didn't give him any details, I just told him you had been through some rough times and it was best if he kept his intentions as a caring friend at the dance! That's all. I know you've been putting on a brave face this past week, but I can tell that your still suffering.”

“Oh Ayumi, thank you so much for caring! I really am doing better though. And I think it will be fun to go with the three of you and Hojo. I've only ever thought of Hojo as a friend and I was intending tonight to be in those terms. I knew Hojo would never take advantage of any situation, so the thought of going with him never worried me once. I'm just going to go and have fun tonight. It's really all I can ask for. Besides, I think it would be really good for me. When was the last time I got to get all dolled up and cut loose!” With that she jumped onto her feet and made some silly pose that sent Ayumi into a fit of laughter.

Ayumi giggled more as she watched Kagome crank up some of her favorite music and began dancing around the room singing into her hairbrush. She prayed that tonight would be a memorable experience for her troubled friend.

An hour later the two were ready for the dance and were met at the bottom of the hill by Yuki, Eri, Hojo, and three of Hojo's friends. Kagome was so excited about the night, that she hadn't noticed the faint blue glow that had began to shine through the doors of the well building.

The fire cracked noisily and danced as if possessed. A light breeze blew and encouraged the grass in the meadow to dance right along with the small camp fire. Inuyasha was still lost in his thoughts regarding a certain young priestess. His ears began to twitch slightly and he began to sense a change in the air about him. His head snapped around so he could better see the well in the center of the meadow. A small blue light, about the size of a firefly slowly rose out of the well and drifted lightly around the top. Shortly after another small blue light emerged. Inuyasha watched as more and more of these small bursts of blue energy circled the well. If the lights had been yellow he would have thought it a simple dance of fireflies around the well.

Could this be it?” He thought “ Is the seal breaking?” Without further hesitation he ran towards the well. He paused at its edge and peered into the dark depths below. Small blue orbs continued to rise from its depths. “Well, Kagome, I hope your ready to see me” He smiled as he jumped into the Bone Eaters well. “Ready or not, I'm coming!”

Traffic noise was the first thing that assaulted his senses. Then the smell he had waited for what seemed like an eternity for to catch the slightest whiff of. The sweet soft smell of vanilla bean, her own unique scent. He drew in a deep breath trying to absorb as much of that scent as possible. His smile grew. “So I guess the seal is broken. It's about bloody ass time!” He launched himself vertically and busted through the lid that had formally been nailed tightly on the well. “ I see that crazy old man hasn't given up on those useless sutras.” he pondered as he dusted himself off. He paused when he reached the top step, suddenly overcome with self doubt. Would Kagome be happy to see him or would she again tell him that she hated him?

“Feh!” He grunted and pushed the doors open violently. He made quick his trip from the well to her bedroom. He again paused before ruffly throughing open her bedroom window.

“Kagome, what where you thinking.” He grunted angrily. He was greeted only by the fragrance of her drifting strongly throughout the room. “Why isn't she here? It's late. She should be in bed by now.

He was still pondering her lack of presence when a sleepy eyed Sota came strolling into the room.

“Inuyasha! You came!”

Inuyasha jumped, startled by the young boy. “jeez kid, you shouldn't sneak up on people.”

“You looking for Kagome?” When Inuyasha just nodded Sota continued. “ She went to a school dance with her friends. She won't be back until late. You could stay here if you like.”

A dance? What was a dance? It didn't matter, Kagome was there and that's were he needed to go to find her.” He thought to himself.

Inuyasha straightened himself and walked to the window. “Her school eh? I think I'll just go find her myself. Thanks kid.” Without another word he jumped from her window and raced in the direction of the strange place Kagome called her school.

Sota was left staring out an empty window. Shrugging he turned and sleepily made his way back to his own bedroom.

“You look amazing tonight Kagome!” The starry eyed boy grinned sheepishly at his statement. He stared down at his refreshment and awaited her reply.

“Oh! Thank you Hojo. Ayumi said I just had to buy this dress. I guess I trusted her judgment.” Kagome smiled back. She had expected the night to go wonderfully, but so far she had yet to even dance. The group of them had found a table near the back of the room and had mainly spent the first part of the evening sitting there chatting. Hojo was behaving like the perfect gentleman and good friend he always was. The only difference was that he blushed a little more than normal.

She had also been hoping that all of the distraction would keep a certain white haired demon off of her mind. However, seeing all of the couples engaged in slow dances had only served to fuel her saddened state. She was beginning to find the evening hard to bear. The more she watched the couples on the dance floor, the more she yearned for the man who she could never have. The man who saw her as a friend and avid jewel detector.

Sighing heavily she checked the clock again above the stage. The band was just preparing to start another set after a short break. She smiled when they began to play their first song. An old classic love song, slow and delicate, meant to entice young lovers out onto the dance floor. She was surprised when the bashful Hojo cleared his throat in an attempt to gain her attention.

“Care to dance my lady?” He questioned as he sunk into a graceful bow.

“But of course kind sir.” She played along with his antics giggle as he grasped her hand and planted a bold kiss on it. She rose gracefully from her chair and allowed him to lead her out onto the dance floor.

Above the stage high in the scaffolding, concealed by the curtains, a growl escaped from the lips of a certain demon. He had watched as another man had dared press his lips to Kagome's delicate skin. “Why if it isn't that damn Hobo guy!

It had taken awhile for Inuyasha to get over the incredible loud noise that the individuals below him had been making all night. He had arrived at the school and found a suitable perch high above the five men making all the racket. It had taken awhile for him to spot Kagome, since he couldn't rely on finding her by her scent with the mass of people in the building. When he had finally spotted her, his breath had caught in his chest.

She had emerged from a crowd, like an angel from a pack of devils. Clad in a long shimmer gown she had caused every one of his senses to fire at once. He had shivered at the reaction her vision had elicited from him. The gown of pale cream silk had clung to her curves showing off just how much she had changed since she first met him. The elegant dress had barely been held up by two thin straps that wrapped around her neck. It had plunged dramatically in the back revealing the soft curve of her spine. The silk had been drawn tight around her body, than glided gracefully off her hips to pool around her ankles. Her dark hair was piled high on her head and delicate curls cascaded around her face. Those magnificent eyes, where bright and as inviting as ever. She looked like a goddess, a vision of sheer perfection.

Inuyasha had taken many minutes to recover from that first sighting of her. Throughout the night she had continued to achieve much the same response from him. He had yet been able to form any plan of how he was going to get her out of this place or what he would say when he did. He had only been able to stare in utter amazement at her. In fact he had remained in a daze until that boy had grasped her hand in his and dared place his lips to it.

He continued to growl as Hojo led Kagome onto the dance floor. He barely managed self control when Hojo gathered Kagome closely in her arms and began to sway very slowly to the rhythm of the song.

“How have you been holding up Kagome?” Hojo spoke into Kagome's ear so that she could hear him over the music.

“What do you mean Hojo? I'm just fine!” Kagome smiled back

“I know about the breakup Kagome. I'm just worried that the stress of it all may make you ill once more. I have plenty of herbal remedies that could be beneficial to you right now.” He had again lowered his mouth to her ear so he wouldn't have to shout.


It was almost all Inuyasha could bear. Seeing his Kagome wrapped up in another's embrace. The Hobo idiot even had the nerve to snuggle into her neck. His hands were gripping the scaffolding so hard that the one beam was actually beginning to bend.

“You know Kagome, I know this is kinda sudden, but I was wonder something.” Hojo paused as he gathered his thoughts. His blush deepened dramatically before he continued. “I was wondering if you would maybe give the two of us a chance? That is when your heart has had a chance to heal somewhat of course.”

The two of us? I guess it's not such a crazy thought. He is a good person. I may actually be nice not having someone yelling at me all the time. Maybe dating Hojo would help me forget Inuyasha? Maybe I should focus on just moving on.” Kagome thought. She didn't answer Hojo, she just rested her head on his shoulder and watched the other couples around them move in time with the beat.

Inuyasha's fangs and claws began to lengthen as Kagome rested her head on the other mans shoulder. He tightened his grip on the metal even more when the boy wrapped his arms around her tiny waste. “I've had just about enough of this Hobo guy. Who the hell does he think he is?”

The music softly played and everyone on the dance floor was completely involved only with the other in their arms.

As the song came to an end, Kagome found herself staring into the eyes of a young man. These weren't the eyes she had just been dreaming about. They were not the colour of pure amber, nor did they hold the element of fire within their depths. Despite that, they seemed to be drawing in closer to her own. A little confused, Kagome finally realized that although she had been dreaming that it was Inuyasha holding her in his embrace, the truth of the matter was Hojo embraced her. Disappointed, she was still in a daze when those dark brown eyes seemed unusually close to hers. It was then she felt his lips upon her own.

Startled she pushed him away. In a desperate need to collect herself and her thoughts she hurried towards an exit. Hand covering the spot where Hojo's lips had met her own, she rushed into the cool night air. Suddenly overcome with the emotions she had been suppressing, she collapsed at the edge of the court yard.

Oh Hojo, I'm sorry. I just can't forget Inuyasha. Damn him for causing me such pain. My heart feels like it has been bleeding for the last week. I'm not sure how long until I will stop loving that damn demon, but until then, I fear there is no room for anyone else in my heart. ” Kagome's thoughts raced as tears continued to pour from her eyes.

The bass player in the band had noticed near the end of the last song, something strange was happening above him. It had sounded like all of the scaffolding above him had creaked throughout the whole song, but near the end, something had snapped. It sounded like a beam had been snapped in two. Strange, because when he had summoned enough courage to check what was above him, nothing was there.

Rage flared inside the half demon as he had watched his intended mate be kissed by another. The only thing that had stopped him from releasing his rage upon the masses, was the scent of salty tears exiting the building. Tears he had smelt many times before. The smell that often sickened his stomach and brought a feeling of dread to him. He had watched her leave, then spotted the young man following a short time later. He had decided to make a sneaky exit and cut the young man off in the court yard behind the school.

“Kagome?.......Are you alright?” Hojo asked quietly as he approached the form that had half collapsed beside the cherry tree. “I'm sorry Kagome, I just kinda got caught up in the moment.” He stopped about half way out in the courtyard in a patch of light that shone down from a large street lamp. He cautiously eyed the girl, unsure of how to proceed.

He was about to take another step, when a man suddenly appeared between himself and Kagome. The mans head was down and his strange white hair covered his face. Suddenly a menacing growl vibrated from deep in the strangers throat.

“ Who.... the hell...... do you think you are?!” Fiery amber eyes pierced the dark at the stranger raised his head. “No one assaults Kagome, makes her cry, and lives to tell about it!”

Hojo's eyes widened as the stranger began to draw his weapon. The beast before him resembled more of a devil than a man. His blood ran cold with the next words the beast spoke.

Kagome was still facing towards the tree when she first heard that growl. She froze completely not even daring to breath. “It's not possible. It couldn't be.

Turning her head slightly she caught a glimpse of red cloth out of the corner of her eye. Steading herself, she had to urge herself to continue turning her head. Standing between herself and Hojo was the demon she thought she would never be able to stop loving. The only one who could heal her bleeding heart. She was so caught up in the sight of him that she failed at first to recognize the dangerous exchange between the two men.

Inuyasha's entire body vibrated with the need to eliminate his competition. His had shook slightly as he grasped the Tetsigua. “You will pay for what you have done to her. No one shall ever touch my mate again. Once I have finished with you she will be mine!”

Hojo began to sweat as he thought about what this stranger was saying to him. “Does he mean to kill me? How does he know Kagome? What will he do to her?..... Mate? What does that mean. This is obviously some deranged lunatic. I must protect Kagome!!!”
The blade of the Tetsigua glistened in the glow of the lights around them. Kagome was so mesmerized by the view of her beloved that she still hadn't heard any of the words exchanged thus far. She finally came round when Hojo shouted her name.

“Kagome! Stay back! This man is deranged. I believe he means the two of us harm.” Hojo shouted to his friend. He moved cautiously back as the demonic looking man approached with weapon drawn. Something in the moment caught Hojo by surprise. “This is just like at the cultural festival. Wait a minute..... long white hair....strange old fashioned clothing.....It's the same guy.” With that thought, he suddenly paused. A thin smile began to emerge and he dropped his head to stare at the ground.

He spoke quietly next, directing all his words at the man before him. “Your Kagome's ex aren't you?”

Inuyasha paused looking at the strange young man who no longer displayed any fear towards him. He lowered his weapon to hear the man out.

“You know, you've stirred up a lot of trouble for poor Kagome ever since you came into her life. I'm not sure what the circumstances were a week ago, but you really hurt Kagome this time. Now you jump in here claiming that I hurt Kagome! I think you had best step down and look at your own actions, since you are so quick to judge others. She has shed more tears in this past week and I can bet that your to blame. So I suggest sir that you back off!” Hojo had some how summoned the courage to face the ex. Fully motivated he even found himself yelling at another, something he never did. But this man aggravated him something fierce. Constantly being a sore spot for him and a constant source of emotional stress for his fragile Kagome.

Kagome sat dumb stuck as she witnessed the normally quiet and timid Hojo become quite hostile towards Inuyasha. She knew too that the whole situation was because of her. Inuyasha would not back down. That was a given. She now feared for her friend who was unknowingly prompting the temper of an already angered half demon.

She couldn't believe her eyes when Hojo began to role his sleeves up. Was he actually going to try and fight Inuyasha?

“If your so macho, why don't you put down that sword and try fighting like a real man!” Hojo shouted, now on a bit of an adrenaline rush.

An eerie laugh was heard as the sword was returned to its sheath. Removing it, Inuyasha placed it on the ground beside him. Flexing his hands and clenching them tightly, all of his knuckles made a menacing popping sound. As he raised his head, a devilish smile was upon his face. “You got it Hobo. Nothin but fists you damn bastard.”

Hojo took a deep breath as he prepared to launch his attack on the man in front of Kagome.

Kagome could only watch in horror. Her hand covered her mouth to silence the scream that was rising in her throat.



A slight breeze blew through the courtyard, causing some leaves to swirl in a light dance between two very hot headed individuals. In the background the dull thumping of bass could be heard from the dance still continuing inside. The tension in the courtyard was overpowering.

Kagome still knelt on the ground, watching the events unfold in front of her. Hojo was confidently but unknowingly approaching a real demon. All for what in reality could be called a valiant, but ultimately futile attempt at winning the woman of his dreams. He launched at Inuyasha in a full run, ending in a successful punch to the face of his opponent. He must have expected the man to fall. So much so that he remained standing, his arm still outstretched and very much connected to the mans cheek.

The growl that erupted from his opponent again sent shivers down his spine. When he brought his head up to see the stranger, he gasped at the sight that met his eyes.

Thin blue streaks had begun to appear upon the mans face. His eyes were becoming more bloodshot than even before. The whites of his eyes were almost beginning to look pure red. A hand shot up to secure his outstretched wrist. The fingers had claws that were growing before his very eyes. The claws began to dig unmercifully into his wrist drawing blood instantly. Then, the stranger threw his head back and began laughing in the most disturbing fashion.

“Pathetic human! Do you think to harm me with that punch!! HA. You disgust me!” Inuyasha picked Hojo up by the neck and in an instant through him backwards with great force.

Hojo was cast harshly into the wall of the building behind him. Barely conscious he focused on the girl under the tree. He saw the terror in her eyes right before everything went black.

“Time to finish off this pathetic creature.......Blades of blo..”

“Sit boy! Sit boy! Sit Sit Sit Sit Sit Sit Sit...” Kagome repeated the incantation until Inuyasha had sunk deep into the ground. “Hojo....I'm sorry, I have to leave you here. I have to get Inuyasha out of here. Someone will find you soon. Don't worry, You'll be ok”

It's so noisy...That thumping...Is it the music or my head?”

Hey you, young man, are you okay?” The bass player had just popped outside for a quick smoke when he had found one of the students lying unconscious by the school wall.

“I think so.......wait...Kagome....Where'sKagome?” Hojo tried to spot her. He looked to the cherry tree where she had be kneeling beside before. His vision was still very blurry, but he could tell that she was no longer there. Neither was the menacing creature that had transformed before his very eyes.

“Who? There was nobody here but you when I came out kid. Just what exactly happened? You look pretty beat up?” The bass player questioned the badly bruised boy.

“That doesn't matter. I need to find her.” Picking himself off the ground, he found himself unable to remain on his feet and again went crashing down to the ground.

“The only thing you'll be finding kid is a nice trip to the hospital and perhaps a pretty nurse to take care of you.”

Kagome hauled Inuyasha out of the taxi cab with the help of the driver. She had had some trouble finding a cab that would take her and and unconscious boy home. She had sat him so many times that she had actually managed to knock the demon out. It had helped that his body was probably tired from transforming into his demon state. She had managed to convince one cab driver that her “date” had consumed to much to drink and that she needed to get him home.

She waved her thank yous and watched the tail lights of the cab fade in the distance. The nice driver had even assisted her dragging Inuyasha up all of those steps. She glanced back up the hill at the shrine were the now peaceful sleeping demon was at. “What the hell am I going to do now? Inuyasha has mad quite a mess. I wonder how Hojo is doing. How am I going to explain all of this? Hojo saw Inuyasha transform........Oh...........hell!
She was again lost in her thoughts as she slowly began to climb those steps once more. “Why did he have to come through the well? What a time for that damn seal to decide to lift. Why isn't he looking for Naraku with Kikyo? I don't understand. He had the perfect opportunity. I practically handed it to him on a plate.”

When she had again reached the top of the stairs, Inuyasha was still resting under the tree of ages. The very same tree where they had first met over a year ago. He looked so sweet and Innocent in his healing slumber. She decided to leave him there and wander behind the house to her mothers private water garden. It was always so peaceful back there. So peaceful and serene, the perfect place to sort out ones feelings. The garden had a large stream that ran throughout, adding the calming effects of running water. Fireflies always danced above the flowers and water. Kagome wandered over to the small bridge that straddled the babbling stream below.

Inuyasha watched her from a distance, still stretching out his muscles from her rabid use of the incantation. An image flashed into his mind. Kagome was sitting at the base of the waterfall, surround by fireflies much the same as she was now. This is all your fault...I hate you Inuyasha.

He cringed at the memory and wondered if he had maybe come full circle. “Maybe this is a second chance. But what do I do? What do I say?” He then remembered the incident that had occurred less than an hour before. “Great, I'm sure that display of sheer outrage really improved her opinion of me. Stupid!! Why do I always act so stupidly around her? I wonder how mad she is at me. Maybe it would have been better if I had never come at all? Maybe that Hobo idiot was right. Maybe all I do for Kagome is cause her trouble. Was he right? Do I really hurt her all the time?”


He spent another few minutes drinking in her beauty with his eyes. The moment was one that he wanted to remember for the rest of his life. He wanted to remember her just like this. An insanely beautiful flower surrounded by the surreal glow of a fireflies light. An angel that could draw him from the very depths of hell. An angel, because after tonight she would be just a figment of his imagination. He refused to drag her through the hell he called life any longer. Hobo had been right. At first he hadn't wanted to believe what the man at the dance had accused him of. The more he had thought about it, the more he knew the words rang true. How many times had Kagome suffered because of his actions. The very fact that she knew him caused her great suffering. Demons had constantly sought her death,in fact, the band of seven had nearly accomplished that act less than a year ago. She had suffered many physical injuries through her battles by his side. She refused to stand idle when he had fought so many demons, in doing so she had proved how much like an angel she was. Saving him, but often at the misfortune for herself. She was so selfless. So caring.

He couldn't ask her to be his mate now. He couldn't force her into a life of hardship. He had made her cry to often already. By staying with him, he only guaranteed more tears to come. The best person for Kagome was not him at all. “Person, Ha I'm not even human. I'm nothing more than a useless half demon. Too think that I would have a priestess for a mate. Feh. Stupid!” He stood from his crouched position from behind the bushes. He gave one last look of longing at his beloved angel before turning to leave.

It was then that she heard it. The soft rustling in the bushes, a crack of a twig. She turned quickly to she the figure fading into the trees behind the garden. She knew who it was and somehow she knew he was leaving.

“Inu......Yasha?” She called softly, knowing that if it was him, his acute hearing would pick it up.

The figure in the trees froze.

She called out again. “Inu......Inu..Yasha?” This time she took a step forward towards the trees.

Inuyasha turned the soft voice calling out to him. Kagome was standing at the bottom of the bridge. The soft breeze causing the strands of her hair to dance around her face. The bottom of the dress moved slightly to the rhythm of the wind. She was calling for him. His angel. Did she still wish to see him?

It was the look in his eyes that caught her off guard. Hopefulness at first then those amber globes changed. She pictured him at a different time, not long after they had first met. She had found him in the forest near Kaede's village. He had been with Kikyo and he had been trying to tell her something. She had lost her nerve and fled from him. But those eyes had haunted her for months after. Never had she seen any eyes ached with such despair. Those amber eyes so full of despair had allowed her a glimpse into his very soul. He had suddenly seemed so fragile in that instant. So knowledgeable about the future and so unwilling to let her suffer. He had thought to spare her by separating himself from her. He had chosen to allow Kikyo to drag him into the depths of hell. It had taken months of those eyes haunting her dreams before she understood the pain in their depths. Months of getting closer to Inuyasha. Months of learning about his past and his trials. He had been through such a trying childhood. A terrible youth filled with bullying and constant terror. All because he was different. A half demon. Abandoned by those who should have protected him. That's part of the pain he suffered. The pain of abandonment.

Abandoned?” She thought to herself as she slowly walked towards him. “I've acted so selfishly. I'm no better than those who turned their heads and walked passed him when he suffered so as a child. I promised him once that I would stand by his side. To stay with him no matter what. Why? Because I wanted him to live. I wanted him to be happy. And here I am running away after I promised to stay. He has probably spent the last week feeling utterly abandoned and alone. How horrible!” She continued to approach him cautiously, never once taking her eyes from his. She was afraid that if she faltered once, if she blinked once he would disappear into the shadows of the woods. The closer she got the more vibrant those amber globes became. The more aware she was of the despair within their depths. This time would be different, this time she wouldn't run!