InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Breaking the Silence of the Night ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inuyasha Songfic
 
I have to do this. If I don't…well…I don't know. I might go insane. Every time I listen to this song, I picture a little music video, and if I don't get it down on paper, it will start looping continuously in my head.
 
Inuyasha doesn't belong to me, nor does the song I use in here.
 
The song…Queensrÿche, “Breaking the Silence”, from the 1988 album “Operation: Mindcrime” (listen to the song while you read this for its full effect)
____________________________________________________________
 
(guitar intro)
 
Inuyasha had said something stupid again, and insulted Kagome. They were shouting at each other in front of the well. Inuyasha was throwing up his hands and Kagome was pointing accusingly at him, crying and carrying on, and she turned, yelled “SIT” and jumped through the well. Inuyasha felt terrible, because he knew it was his fault, as it always was…
 
They told me to run.
But just how far… can I go
Wearing the black mask of fear?
 
Inuyasha had begun to develop a sense of self-loathing, a pain in the pit of his stomach, ever increasing in size each time he and Kagome fought. But he would never let anyone know this. He had to keep up his façade or risk his reputation over a girl…a girl that he loved but who may hate him now, and it was because of him…
 
The hate in my eyes always gives me away.
The tension building slowly… now
That I've lost everything I had in you.
 
Inuyasha stayed by the well for a few days…waiting to see if Kagome would return, but he waited in vain. He had really hurt her this time. He didn't know if she would be able to forgive him. But he couldn't sit there and wait forever, he had to do something. So he jumped into the well…
 
Nothing we shared means a thing
Without you close to me.
I can't live without you.
 
He ran into Kagome's house, but was told by her mother that Kagome hadn't been home for several days. Inuyasha became frantic, asking all kinds of questions, but Mrs. Higurashi had no answers for him. Inuyasha ran out into the rainy Tokyo night, searching for Kagome…
 
Breaking the silence of the night,
Can't you hear me screaming?
I look for your face in the neon light but
You never answer me.
 
He scoured the city for her, but no matter where he looked, he could only find traces of her scent, not enough to go on. He ran into her friends on occasion, but they told him nothing of use, if they told him anything at all. He was beginning to lose faith in himself, in his ability to find her at all. He almost gave up completely, tried to begin to think about what it would be like if he were to accept that Kagome was a thing of the past and move on…
 
There's no direction to my stare.
No more flame burning in my heart anymore.
Quiet, I keep it to myself
Until the sun sets slowly.
I hear your voice in the evening rain calling.
 
He just wanted, no, needed to find her, to set things right, set them back to the way they were. If he didn't, he would die inside. Kagome was everything to him, and she needed to know that. If he didn't express his deepest feelings now, he might never get the chance. He vowed to do things differently…
 
Nothing will keep us apart,
No more lies and fear.
There's no end to our story.
 
The rain came down harder, a torrent of water. Inuyasha, soaked to the bone and shivering against his will, kept up his search for Kagome. He refused to give up, even if it killed him. Drawing attention to himself was his only plan. Hopefully, it would help Kagome to notice him if he made a scene in her era…
 
Breaking the silence of the night,
Can't you hear me screaming?
I look for your face in the neon light
You never answer.
 
Again and again, he called out her name, throughout the city of Tokyo. He didn't care who he disturbed or who heard him. He needed to reach her by any means necessary. And tell her the one thing on his mind…
 
I could make all the wrong seem right
If you were by my side.
 
There's no guarantee that Kagome heard his heartfelt words as he yelled them from the rooftop into the darkened sky. He figured that if someone, anyone knew then it would be better than just letting her go. He needed her to know how bad he felt about all the shit she had to put up with from him in the past.
 
I'd gather all the tears you cried
And hide them deep underground.
 
His voice harsh and damaged from calling, and calling her over and over, Inuyasha again felt himself slipping away from his goal. He was beginning to lose hope once again. But he realized that as miserable as he felt now, he would feel many, many times worse if he was unable to find her. He dug deep for his last ounce of resolve and kept up the search.
 
Can't look back, it's just a waste of time.
Can't erase this hate from my eyes.
 
He hated himself for what he'd done to her. He couldn't believe that he could be so cruel to her, and he needed to set things right. Even if it meant losing her anyway, he had to talk to her one last time before seeing whether their paths continued on together or split off. And he had to know if that split was upon him now. Otherwise, he knew she would never forgive him, but more importantly, he could never forgive himself. Was this the end? She refused to come into contact with him. And it was all his fault. His fault, the stupid jerk…
 
Breaking the silence of the night,
Through the streets I'm screaming.
Looking for you in the neon light
Why don't you answer me?
 
He refused to believe she had completely given up on him, so he pressed on, searching everywhere he thought she could possibly be. He knew she had to have heard or seen him at some point. He'd been all over the city, crying out her name, offering apology after apology, given with more thought and effort than he had ever done in the past. But maybe, just maybe, this time he had done too much damage…damage that couldn't be reversed…
 
Breaking the silence with my cries,
Can't you hear me screaming?
We could make all this wrong seem right
But you never answer me…
 
As he neared the well again, and the end of the night, the rain began to let up. The clouds parted, and soon the twilight of dawn crept out from the clouds, and it led Inuyasha, like a beacon back to Kagome's house. There, in the yard next to the sacred tree, sat Kagome, waiting…She looked up as Inuyasha entered the yard, tired, soaked, red in the face, broken…She had heard him…They just stood there, looking at each other as the sun rose…beginning a new day and a new chance…
 
____________________________________________________________
 
You have to hear the song to get the full effect, as I said before, or at least have heard it before. I think it fits perfectly. But that's just me.
 
And I had to end it on a positive note…I couldn't leave it like that…