InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Broken* ❯ Who Let the Dog Out? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A new revision on a very old story I wrote. This plot has probably been done before, especially since the story is ten years old, but hopefully I have written it well enough to still be entertaining. It is set during the beginning of the series, before Miroku and Sango show up. I think Kikyou might have, but she doesn't make an appearance in this story. This is mostly because when I wrote it, I'd only seen a very small part of the series. This has changed, of course, but adding them in would mean doing way more revision than I wish to at this time, so they'll remain absent.
Disclaimer: Inuyasha does not belong to me. I am merely borrowing the characters for the sake of writing this story. When I'm finished I promise to put them all back again relatively unscathed. The story, however, does belong to me. Steal it and die.

Chapter OneWho Let the Dog Out?

She'd never realized how much she actually depended on the subduing spell—that one, insignificant little word—until it was suddenly, inadvertently taken from her.

They stood in the middle of Inuyasha's Forest near the well, staring in shock at Kagome's fisted hand, from which several beads clung stubbornly to a broken, dangling string. Scattered across the earth between them, the remaining beads and several teeth glistened in the light—all that was left of the rosary that had hung around Inuyasha's neck. Kagome's senses were reeling as she sought to understand what had just happened. She'd been heading home to celebrate Souta's eighth birthday—She had promised on a double-pinky swear not to miss it!—and of course Inuyasha had shown up, refusing like always to let her leave. Thus had begun their normal power-struggle, which usually ended up with Kagome losing her temper and yelling that word to send Inuyasha's face into the dirt.

But this time had been … different. This time, Kagome had tried to get away without the usual subduing. After all, why ruin a perfectly good party by wallowing in guilt for sitting the stupid hanyou, when he usually deserved it in the first place? She'd even invited him to come along (and wouldn't Souta have loved that?), but no, he had to go and be a stubborn idiot. Again.

Finally, she'd given up and merely tried to force her way past him, which had naturally led to him forcing back. Somewhere along the lines of their mutual forcing, her hand had become entangled in the rosary, and when she'd tried to pull away from him before he could carry her back to the village, there had been a faint snap and beads were suddenly flying through the air between them.

There was absolute silence in the little clearing that surrounded the well. Not even a bird chirped. It was as though the very earth was holding its breath, awaiting the inevitable explosion.

Both the hanyou and the human continued to stare in bewilderment at the broken rosary, watching as yet another shining bead slid slowly down the thread and fell with a faint click to the rocky earth. There was not even a trace of the magic that had once bound Inuyasha within its remains. It was completely gone.

"No. Oh noc" Kagome whispered, her face paling with shock as realization slowly dawned on her.

"Ohhhh, yes."

She winced at the triumphant hiss and slowly raised her gaze to meet that of the hanyou. Inuyasha's eyes were brightly gleaming and an evil grin parted his lips, revealing fangs that gleamed even brighter. He practically radiated with smug satisfaction, and Kagome couldn't help but think that she hadn't seen him look this feral since she'd first awakened him from his enchanted sleep.

They were both as motionless as deer caught in an open field and sensing danger, quivering with tension and ready to spring at a moment's notice.

The well was only a few feet away.

But Inuyasha was right there.

Could she make it? It really wasn't that far to run, if she dove in head-first.

Kagome's eyes darted back and forth between the hanyou and the well, and he followed her gaze, his eyes laughing at her, silently daring her to try and make a break for it.

Then the moment was there, and both of them shot forward like arrows released from a bow, aiming straight for the dilapidated old structure. Inuyasha was almost three steps behind her, but she wasn't stupid enough to believe she had a ghost of a chance of making it.

It didn't keep her from trying, though.

And she almost made it. Almost.

Just as she was beginning to think she might actually be able to dive into the well and to freedom, a strong, firm arm caught her by the waist and swung her around, pulling her back roughly against a warm, hard body and fair knocking the breath out of her. A laughing voice in her ear scolded almost playfully, "Now, now, girl. What're you tryin' to pull here?"

"I'm trying to go home!" Kagome shouted, royally pissed at being man-handled like a stuffed animal. She squirmed furiously and tried to kick, but he easily avoided her legs. "Let go, you meathead!" she squealed.

"Now, Kagome, that ain't a very nice thing to say. I think you better apologize to me." He was half-laughing as he spoke, clearly amused, and she was hard-pressed not to stomp on his bare feet. The jerk was having way too much fun with this situation.

"Or you'll do what?" she snapped, crossing her arms petulantly over her chest.

His smirk widened. "Oh … I dunno. I was thinking something along the lines of … this." He raised one hand, sharp claws glimmering in the filtered sunlight streaming between the trees, and brought it down to the well with all his strength.