InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Try ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Well, schools been a real pain in the ass lately, so that’s not a lot of fun. Definitely distracting from all my stories. Plus, for the last 48 hours, I’ve had approx. 9 hours of sleep, so that’s not good.

Only got two chapters for you this time, and I don’t know when I’m gonna update again... it’s been really sporadic and inconsistent lately, hasn’t it? ^_^

-InuKagome4 - Lol, yep I agree with you. I’m glad people actually relate a little bit to Amaya in some ways-- it definitely helps the story if people can relate to characters, even in the littlest ways. ^_^

DISCLAIMER - I DO NOT OWN THE INUYASHA CHARACTERS! Do you really think I can handle that kind of responsibility? Man, you’ve seen what I can do to them when I don’t own them, just imagine what would happen if I did................... *shudders* Nope, they’re better off with Rumiko Takahashi, who is their original creator and owner. I only own the story and a few OC in it.   Try

Amaya used spells of secrecy and deception to stop Naraku or the other demons from perceiving the monk’s presence.

She had promised to get him out of here and back to his temple alive and well, but the man was annoying her so much that she was seriously beginning to rethink at least one of the two.

She pushed the dungeon door open and waited for the monk to walk past her, although, thanks to her spells, to the guards it looked like she had opened the door and was now waiting patiently for the air to pass through.

They shared a look and she glared at them, immediately making them snap their eyes forward because even they understood that, demon or not, she was powerful, and a force to be reckoned with, and so let her antics go for the moment.

Once the door had been resealed, she led the drunkard monk (who had distinctly sobered up along the ride there) down into the dungeon, giving a slight growl of irritation when he stumbled on the unfamiliar steps and fell against her slightly.

‘Would you learn how to use those things properly!’ She hissed at him, gesturing angrily at his feet, before turning and storming down the stairs, a slight edge of anger hindering her usual glide.

‘Sango.’ She said into the darkness, and she frowned as she felt the girl sliding into conciousness, fear enveloping her.

‘Relax, ningen, it is only me.’ She said, touching her had to a charm around her neck that instantly sprang to life, illuminating the entire room in a torch-like blaze of light.

Sango blinked against the light and peered up at her, and she felt the slayer’s relief wash over her.

‘Amaya, thank God, I was getting so worried.’ She said, her eyes flickering to Mushin, who had discovered Miroku, and was now leaning over the shivering monk.

‘Have there been any changes since I departed?’ She asked the slayer, and Sango shook her head. ‘His hand twitched once, but ever since then he’s been so still and he’s been shaking so bad... I think he’s getting worse.’

Amaya nodded, face dark, and turned toward the monks. ‘Well?’ She asked, coming up behind Mushin, who was shifting the prayer-beads on the monk’s hand around.

He glanced up at her, and then looked back down at the monk, not saying anything. Amaya glared. ‘Can you fix it?’ She demanded, and the monk sighed, setting the hand down and shaking his head slightly.

‘His wound is very strange, I wonder what caused it to turn in on itself like this...’

Amaya rolled her eyes in irritation. This was why she hated monks. They always rambled on and on and it took them forever to get to the point. ‘But can you fix him?’ She asked, enunciating each word slowly and carefully, as though talking to an incompetent person, which, in Amaya’s eyes, she was.

‘I can try and draw the wound back out to it’s former functioning, but there are risks.’ The monk said slowly, and Amaya’s eyes narrowed. ‘What risks?’ She demanded.

The monk stared off at some entirely uninteresting space on the wall for a moment, before saying ‘it is likely that the wound will react badly to such treatment... it may very well expand and suck in us all.’

Amaya stared at the man with sharp eyes, trying to determine if he was lying, before glancing over at Sango, who was staring at Miroku with tears barely held back glistening in her eyes.

‘Sango.’ She said quietly, slowly drawing the slayer’s eyes to her. She hated the pain she saw there. More than that she hated how much she had allowed these creatures to effect her, how close she’d allowed them to get. They were thorns in her sides, and each one of them, even the monk, who had been unconscious most of the time she’d known him, was festering deeper under her skin, penetrating her shell and making their ways toward her heart. ‘It’s your decision.’ She said quietly, and the Slayer looked at her, then at Mushin, then at Miroku, and shook her head.

‘There is no decision here.’ She said slowly, her voice more determined and set than Amaya had heard it in a long time. ‘If we don’t do it, Miroku would die. I would rather have tried to save him and failed, then not have tried at all.’

Amaya stared at her, her dark eyes glittering as the slayer determinedly stared unwaveringly at the monk. ‘Wisely spoken.’ She said, then turned quickly toward the monk. ‘You heard her.’ She said, and Mushin glanced nervously around, as though he really didn’t think it was worth the risk, then sighed, and turned back toward Miroku, pulling his hand out to him.

‘I will see what I can do.’ He said quietly, beginning to unwrap the prayer-beads. ‘Witch, do you think you can shine that light right over his hand?’ He asked, and Amaya paused for a moment, slightly indignant that the monk still had the nerve to call her a witch, before leaning forward and cupping her hands around the small bead of light, focusing it on the hand as the beads slowly began to come free.

And she wondered if the monk really did have the power to fix the curse.

After all, if it was made by Naraku, even in his early days, it must be a powerful curse.

She shook her head and focused back on the task at hand, pushing those thoughts away.

Sango spoke the truth when she said those words a moment ago: It didn’t matter if he could or not. It didn’t matter if not just Miroku’s, but everybody in this dungeon’s lives were at risk.

They had a chance to save Miroku, and, even if it meant their own lives were at risk, they had to try. Because in the end, trying was all that really mattered, at least in times like this.

And in the end it was better than sitting around uncertainly and waiting for death to sneak up upon you while you wallow in the cold darkness that has become your life.

In the end, it was all they had.

So they had to try.