InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ You Always Hurt the One You Love ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

I am NOT having a very good day.

I am suffering from severe writer’s block right now (among other things) and it’s driving me absolutely nuts. >_<

*Takes Deep Breath*

Okay, well I think I’m done venting for now. Lol, sorry to everyone I may or may not have scared with the above blurb. ^_^

-laa_girl - Lol, wow, I’m honoured... I think. No, yeah, I am! ^_^ I’m actually surprised cause a few people have been saying things along those lines about this fic, and I always thought it was one of my more futile efforts... especially since one-shots turned into continuations rarely work out. ^_^ Still, I’m glad that you’re enjoying it so much. -- I know, lots of people want to see me get Inu and Kagome together again. I don’t much like Kagome though, so I feel slightly disinclined to make said thing happen. If I do though, I don’t think it’ll be for a while. I’ve got a whole plan laid out for Inu right now, which means that I’ll need to be up all night writing down things that contradict it entirely just to satisfy my muse. As such, I don’t really know when or how I’ll get them together. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’ve been neglecting one of the other characters of the story-- one of my personal favs-- and I need to get them in sometime in the near future as well. ^_^ -- Also, I am glad that you enjoy Amaya’s complexities. She was originally supposed to be much darker and a just more passing character, but somehow she wormed her way into this story more than she was meant to be, and seems to have become fairly popular among the readers. It kinda sucks, cause that means that, so far, I only have Naraku and Kikyo to kill if I ever get in the mood to do so. ^_^ Unless, of course, I just decide to completely go against the readers and kill someone they like. Which I may very well do. -- You’ve been reading it for five years? Hm. I think that’s about a year longer than I have... Yeesh, I’ve been reading and writing this stuff much longer than I originally thought... ^_^

Okay, well that’s about all I can think to say right now. I think I’ll go pound my head against the wall for a little while, so if you’ll excuse me...   ~*~   You always hurt the one you Love

Kikyo paused outside Inuyasha’s door and frowned.

Even if she was ningen (at least in original form) she could still sense something wrong, something different in Inuyasha’s room.

She cracked the door open and peered around, her eyes landing on the open window and she stared at it angrily. In truth, she had no reason to be suspicious of the window-- the cliff below it was too high for Inuyasha to escape down, and too sheer for another person to climb up, but she didn’t like it nonetheless.

Inuyasha complained that it got too stuffy in his room with the window always closed, so she had agreed to let him open it at his will, but now he was shivering slightly in his sleep, the blankets all tangled around his feet.

She quietly moved into the room and went over to the window, latching it, then freezing with her hands on the ledge.

It was faint, but she was certain there was something... not quite demonic, but definitely evil there. She started at the spot on the sill where her hand rested, and then looked back out the window.

She knew she must be seeing, or rather, feeling things, because the barrier she had resurected would not let anything evil through it, and yet... the long she felt it, the longer it seemed not so much evil but... lacking good, which was a muddy distinction even in her own mind.

Shaking her head, she pulled her hand away. ‘My worry for Inuyasha is making me paranoid.’ She thought slightly bitterly as she glanced over at the hanyou, who still shivered slightly, his hands grasping at the matteress, claws digging slight gashes into it. She wondered if he was dreaming.

Reaching over she pulled the blankets up along Inuyasha’s body, then, acting on pure impulse, slipped underneath of them as well, resting her head on Inuyasha’s shoulder, and running her hand over his chest.

Inuyasha suddenly snapped to life, shooting up off the bed with a snarl, one clawed hand grabbing her wrist, the other poised, ready to attack, his fangs bared and his eyes tinged slightly with red.

They stared at each other in shock for a moment before it slid away into calm for Kikyo, and fearful confusion for Inuyasha.

‘Kikyo.’ He said quietly, staring at the Miko in confusion. What was she doing in here? More importantly, why was she in his bed?

‘Hello koi.’ She said, a small smile gracing her features. ‘Did I wake you?’

Inuyasha stared at her uncertainly, his grip on her wrist loosening and then dropping completely as his hand slipped down to rest at his side. ‘What are you doing here?’ He asked, startled by her presence so close to his own.

‘You should not answer a question with a question.’ Kikyo chastised gently, added ‘I came to see you.’ Inuyasha blinked.

‘But why?’ He asked, completely lost in this conversation. She saw him everyday, did she really have to come to him so late at night... and be so close to him?

‘Do I need a reason?’ She asked. ‘Now you answer my question. Did I wake you, Inuyasha?’ The hanyou frowned, then nodded his head, and Kikyo frowned.

‘I am sorry, koi. Here,’ she said, as she gently applied pressure to the hand resting on his chest, forcing him to lie back on the bed. ‘Try and fall asleep again.’

Inuyasha lay there uncomfortably for a moment, before promptly trying to get up again.

‘No.’ Kikyo said more firmly, as though talking to a misbehaving dog, applying more pressure to his chest. ‘Sleep Inuyasha. I will watch over you.’

She didn’t know that that was exactly the hanyou’s fear.

Taking in a shuddering breath, Inuyasha closed his eyes, trying to ignore the feeling of her icy-dead hands running over him, trying to force back the memories that rose within him. His new mind unconsciously wondered how he ever could have fallen in love with such a possessive, seemingly domineering woman.

He had no answer, and so simply took in another shuddering breath, trying to calm himself enough to sleep, because he knew that was his only escape from the discomfort of this situation.

Kikyo frowned as she felt her hanyou’s chest shudder again, and looked up at his face.

His eyes were closed, but his brow was furrowed, as though in concentration, and she could see his eyes moving wildly behind his eyelids.

She sighed, and placed her head back on his chest, feeling him tense as she did so.

Over the past week the hanyou had become more aware of his surroundings, yet, even though Kikyo had not hurt him, had done everything in her power to protect him, he seemed to get more scared and uncomfortable around her with every day that passed.

Sometimes she would look over at him and catch him looking at her, and though he quickly looked away, she saw the anger and hurt clear in his eyes. And it confused her.

Sometimes he simply stared off into space, emotions flickering in and out of his eyes too fast to see, not paying any attention to anything, but seemingly in deep thought. Those were the moments that Kikyo felt most like she had completely lost the old Inuyasha.

The Inuyasha she had known never sat still for so long, staring off into space and just thinking. He was a person of action, and would never have been content to be trapped in a room for days on end, his only contact to the outside world through her and the window. But this one had not complained once.

And it frightened her, because she felt she was loosing him for good.

She felt she was loosing him forever.

And it ached.

She tightened her grip in the hanyou’s fire-rat haori, which she had given back to him after some very insistent whining and pleading-- which had shocked her to no end, because Inuyasha had never begged... at least not before.

‘I’m not going to let you go, Inuyasha.’ She murmured quietly to the sleeping boy under her. ‘I promise I’ll never let you leave me again.’ Her own eyes drifted closed and slowly into sleep that her body no longer required.

And she did not see the tears of pain and fear that began to escape the hanyou’s eyes and roll down his cheek.

Because in his heart, he believed her.

And in his heart, he didn’t want that.

In his heart, he wanted... Kagome. ~*~

A\N: There you go Kagome lovers, you happy now? He doesn’t want Kikyo! And why the hell he ever did is one of the world’s biggest mysteries, right up there with the creation of the universe and how the hell we ever came up with the idea for milking cows, which, I suppose, nowadays makes sense to us, but back when it must have first been invented... come on, what the hell was that person thinking? ^_^

CMoC - Stay Young - Oasis, How soon is Now? - Love spit Love, What Happens Tomorrow - Duran Duran, I want to Change the World - V6, Still waiting - Sum41 (<-- Don’t care how old it is, it’s still a good song!), First Time - Finger Eleven, I’m 18 - Creed, When I’m gone - 3 doors down, Stop Crying your Heart out - Oasis and Superman (It’s not Easy) - Five for Fighting.

What can I say, I’m in a music-listening mood.

It helps calm me down. o.o