InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Saviour ( Chapter 50 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Well, I actually remembered the song I was listening to when I wrote this (though I don’t know if it’ll impact the story in anyway) but it was “Save me” by Remy Zero. So that’s the background music that inspired this chapter I guess. ^_^

Anyway, I know I said that there’d be Miroku and Inuyasha in this chapter... but I don’t think there is. *Checks chapter* Nope, there isn’t. Sorry! Next chapter though!   ~*~   Saviour

Sesshomaru frowned imperceptibly as he watched Inuyasha, who was watching the sky.

His little brother’s face was slightly anxious as he scanned the dark sea of stars, searching for any sign of the sorceress or her supposed prisoners that she was bringing here.

Sesshomaru had given up protesting it by now-- it was obvious he wasn’t getting anywhere with the sorceress.

Besides, she had stated quite clearly that these were the friends of Inuyasha and would be, not only useful in battle, but in his healing process as well. The witch clearly understood how fond he was becoming of his little brother, and was using it every bit to her advantage.

And that was precisely why he had never let himself get attached to anyone.

Everyone now in his life that he cared even a little bit about was there by mistake.

Jaken he had saved from the demon that was about to eat him (not entirely his intent, but it had happened anyway), and the little demon had simply refused to leave him alone after that. Not that he had done much to dissuade the toad, but most people usually gave up after a while of being ignored.

Rin he had saved from the wolves after she had attempted to help him with wounds he had sustained from Tetsusaiga. Her help was futile and not needed but she had offered it anyway, even after he tried to send her away repeatedly. Now she too had bound herself to him after he had rescued her from the clutches of the dead.

Her and Jaken were complete opposites in everything they did-- her free spirit was bubbly and completely it’s own, and she had all the cares of a new born babe, despite whatever horrors she had gone through in her life that he knew nothing about. In a complete turnabout of personalities, Jaken was tightly wound, could be fairly cruel, and had more worries than a creature half his size and twice his age. The only things the two had in common was their unwavering devotion to him and their eagerness to please and accomplish whatever task he set them about doing.

Which made them, in some way, more lapdog companions than equals.

But that led to Inuyasha.

His little brother.

And, in a way, he had saved him as well.

But Inuyasha was not like Rin or Jaken.

His spirit was made entirely of fire, but it had been smothered slightly while in Naraku’s grasp. He doubted it would ever be stoked back up to the uncontrollable wildfire it had been before, but it was still the wild spirit it had always been and was not prepared to be captured or controlled by anyone. Not ever again.

And, while Inuyasha most certainly did look up to him now, he hardly was worried with pleasing him the save way Rin and Jaken were. If Sesshomaru commanded him to do something that he did not think was necessary or did not wish to do, chances are he would not do it.

It was both infuriating and refreshing.

Like now, despite being commanded to remain in the castle in case the Saimyoushou returned, Inuyasha was outside, scanning the skies desperately, searching for any signs of his companions.

Sesshomaru slowly and silently approached him, knowing his brother would smell him anyway, but wanting to make it as difficult for him to detect him as possible. It was just another way he was training his brother-- forcing him to strain and use all his senses again.

Inuyasha’s ears twitched when he was still several feet away, swivelling around in the direction of him, and Sesshomaru knew his brother was aware of his presence.

Turning slowly, Inuyasha cast his brother a short, anxious glance, before turning back to the sky.

He waited until his older brother was standing right beside him before speaking.

‘Do you think they got caught?’ He asked, his voice unusually quiet as Sesshomaru also turned his eyes skyward, taking a moment to consider his little brother’s question.

‘Naraku is very conniving and vicious Inuyasha. He is very powerful and cunning and has a strong will when it comes to finding and maintaining what he wants.’ He said slowly, feeling Inuyasha’s fear spike up a notch. ‘But so is Amaya.’

He felt Inuyasha’s eyes turn toward him, but he did not return the gesture, staring skyward still as he continued to speak. ‘The sorceress is very cunning and powerful-- she has likely been around for several hundreds of years despite being human. I do not believe that she would so easily be caught by Naraku.’ He turned his eyes slowly onto his brother. ‘Inuyasha, if she had any doubts that her plan would succeed, do you think she would still willingly put your friends lives in danger?’ He asked.

Inuyasha frowned and looked up at the sky again.

He was about to answer when something caught his eyes attention, instantly drawing them toward it and causing all speech to flee him as he tried to make out what it was.

To fiery red streaks were flying toward them at an incredibly speed, along with a faint bluish blur travelling next to them.

He frowned, knowing Sesshomaru was looking at them now as well. His brother sniffed the air softly, tasting the night’s scent just as a breeze lifted to carry it toward them, and Inuyasha mimicked the action, catching the scent of horses and miasma and that strange two-headed dragon, Ah-Un, Sesshomaru always kept with him.

‘They are here.’ Sesshomaru said plainly, pointing out the obvious, but Inuyasha nodded, tensing despite himself.

How would he react to his friends?

He hadn’t seen them for so long, save in memory, and he wasn’t even entirely certain which of those memories were real and which were just his mind playing tricks on him. How would they be? How would they react to him? Especially after knowing what he had done, what he had been turned into... and by whom.

That is, assuming they didn’t know already.

As if sensing his inner turmoil, Sesshomaru gently reached his hand up and placed it on his brother’s shoulder in an unexpected show of affection, causing Inuyasha’s golden eyes to snap toward him in surprise.

‘Do not fear, otouto.’ He said quietly, softly, not bothering to look at Inuyasha for fear of making the moment too emotional and tend. ‘They will not hate you. It will all be alright.’

Inuyasha offered his brother a nervous smile despite himself, taking comfort in his aniki’s words whether he wanted to or not.

His brother was right.

Had to be right.

After all, everything that had happened... it had hardly been his fault. He hadn’t wanted to serve Naraku. And... he had been unable to control it.

It had been a mistake.

And hopefully they would understand that.

And hopefully they could forgive him for it. ~*~

Glossary

Otouto - Little Brother

Aniki - Big Brother