InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Challenge Destiny Movie Madness: July - Thriller/Horror ❯ Do Not Return to Sender ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Challenge Destiny on July 2, 2012 for Movie Madness July: Thriller/Horror.

Title: Do Not Return to Sender
Prompt Name/Prompt List/Ficlet # : You've Got Mail – July - #8
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Genre: Admin's Genre- Thriller/Horror
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 700
Summary: Someone's been sending Kagome disturbing packages.
Warnings: Violence, Death of Minor Characters, Slight Gore?

--------------------------


“Sis, you got a package,” Souta called.

Kagome frowned as she went downstairs. “Oof!” She scowled. “Inuyasha! What are you doing here? I've still got three days left!”

His ears drooped. “Sorry.”

Her expression softened at his dejected expression. “No, I'm sorry. You're always welcome here.” She turned, picking up the package, frowning again. There was no sender information. She started opening it.

Inuyasha frowned, his nostrils flaring. “Kagome, wait-”

Kagome dropped the box with a shriek. Yuka's head rolled out, glassy eyes fixing an accusing glare on the shocked girl who threw herself against Inuyasha's chest. Even as his arms wrapped around her to comfort her, his eyes narrowed on the note that had fallen to the ground.

I'll be seeing you soon.

'Not if I've got anything to say about it,' he snarled silently.

Later, after the police had come and gone, he sat holding the distraught girl in her room. “Who could do such a thing?”

“Don't know but they'll pay, I promise. Go to sleep, I'll keep you safe.”

Kagome shuddered as she closed her eyes, still seeing Yuka's face. She slept fitfully that night, only Inuyasha's arms chasing away the nightmares. In the morning she dragged herself through her routine and stepped outside, freezing at the sight of another package sitting outside the door. With shaking hands she reached for it.

“Oi wench, where do you think you're going?!” Inuyasha burst out of the house before taking in her pale expression.

Tears slid down her white face. “E-Eri,” she whimpered, a shaking hand pointing at the box. Inuyasha swept her into his arms once more.

Two down, one to go. We'll be together soon.

That night was worse than the first. Now both friends gave her accusing looks when she closed her eyes.

The next morning, she rushed out of her room, fearful of what she would find. Throwing open the door she sighed in relief before her gaze fell on the package under Goshinboku. She fell to her knees in the doorway.

“Ayumi, I'm so sorry,” she sobbed.

Inuyasha ushered her back inside before retrieving the package himself. Another of her friends' heads, and another note.

I'm coming for you, now no-one will keep us apart.

His hand clenched. “We'll see about that!”

He prowled around the shrine for the rest of the day, refusing to let Kagome leave his sight. The girl was a wreck, her family worried for her sanity and safety. Mrs. Higurashi voiced the thought of sending her down the well to safety but Kagome overheard.

“No! What'll he do to you or Souta or Jii-chan?!”

Inuyasha did not sleep that night, standing in front of Kagome's window, his keen eyes keeping watch for anyone approaching the house. Kagome did not sleep either, huddling on her bed and watching him keep his silent vigil.

Both were tense as the sun dawned with no sign of the killer. They shared an uneasy glance before going downstairs. A knock at the door sounded and both tensed.

Inuyasha stood protectively in front of her as he threw the door open. “Houjou-kun?”

The boy's smile faded as his eyes landed on Inuyasha. “Higurashi, I heard what happened and wanted to offer my condolences. Has there been any word?” He held out some flowers.

Kagome shook her head, making no move to take the flowers.

“Scram kid,” Inuyasha told him.

Houjou frowned. “Who is this?” His eyes narrowed as Inuyasha protectively pulled her against his side. “You're supposed to be mine! I won't let anyone get in our way.” He dropped the flowers, a knife flashing through the air.

Kagome's eyes widened. “Inuyasha!”

She needn't have worried. Inuyasha knocked the knife away and grabbed Houjou by the throat.

Houjou gurgled. “Not supposed to be this way. I got those girls out of the way. I know they were the ones trying to keep us apart. Now you're supposed to be mine.” Kagome shuddered at the crazed look in his eyes. Her friends were dead because of his delusions. She would never lead another guy on again.