InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Challenge Destiny Movie Madness: July - Thriller/Horror ❯ Into the Forest ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Challenge Destiny on July 4, 2012 for Movie Madness July: Thriller/Horror.

Title: Into the Forest
Prompt Name/Prompt List/Ficlet # : The Fog – July - #11
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Genre: Admin's Genre- Thriller/Horror
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 629
Summary: The gang stops at a village only to be warned of the danger of the forest. These last 5 entries will make up a mini-series in the collection.
Warnings: Dead bodies but no real description

--------------------------


“Friend ly place,” Kagome said as the villagers quickly ducked inside, avoiding them.

Inuyasha snorted beside her, his arms tucked into his sleeves, watching as a dejected Miroku made his way back to them. “Well, Bouzu?”

“I was unable to secure lodgings. None wanted to even speak to me. It seems they are all wary of strangers.”

“Psst. You there.”

They looked and spotted an old woman gesturing to them from a dilapidated hut. Exchanging looks, they head toward her.

She looked them over before shaking her head. “Fools, ye are. Leave while you still can.”

“Why should we leave, Miss?” Miroku asked.

“Bah! It's dangerous around these parts. None are safe. Something in the forest, killing everything. Stay out of there if you know what's good for you.”

“If there is something dangerous in the forest, perhaps we can help,” Miroku offered.

“If you know what's good for ye, you'll stay out of there!” She repeated.

“Keh! Let's go,” Inuyasha rolled his eyes at the old woman. “Not gonna get anything sensible from her. Let's check out the forest, maybe it's Naraku.” He turned and headed for the trees at the edge of the village.

The others exchanged looks before following him.

Behind them the old woman shook her head. “Fools! Watch out for the fog! That's when the danger appears!”

Kagome glanced back at her before hurrying to Inuyasha's side. “Do you think we should have listened to her? She might have been able to tell us more of the possible danger.”

“Feh! We would have only gotten the same vague answers. Better to check it out for ourselves.”

Kagome sighed as he brushed off the woman's words. She gave a small shudder as they headed deeper into the woods. It was darker than normal, the branches of the trees seemed twisted, as if arms reaching toward them. She let her eyes sweep past them.

“Aah!” she screamed, jumping back.

“Kagome!” Suddenly Inuyasha was at her side, Tessaiga drawn. “Damn,” he said as he moved to shield her from the site.

A man was staked out in front of a tree, his face twisted in agony, mouth open, displaying his missing tongue. And yet, there was no other sign of injury to his body.

Inuyasha frowned. “What killed him?”

“Inuyasha.”

He turned to see Miroku and Sango gesturing deeper into the woods and his eyes widened. Bodies of all types, men, women, children, youkai and animal, were staked out in various poses. All had looks of agony on their faces, and each was missing a different body part. But the odd thing was that other than the missing body part, there were no wounds.

Kagome shuddered beside him. “W-what could do this?”

His face settled into a determined mask. “I don't know but I'm gonna find out. Whoever or whatever will pay.” He reached out, pulling her closer to his side. “Stay close,” he ordered.

They started to make their way deeper into the forest, eyes peeled for any danger. Miroku offered prayers for the spirits of the dead as they passed.

Suddenly a strong fog began to roll out from deeper in the forest, quickly engulfing them. Inuyasha's eyes narrowed. “This isn't natural. Stay close together!”

His hand reached for Kagome, determined not to lose her in this wall of fog and he felt her grip tighten on his sleeve. Then she was wrenched away from him, a scream escaping her.

“Kagome!” He could neither see nor smell her in the dense fog. “Kagome, answer me!”

Just as suddenly as the fog had rolled in, it was gone. And with it Kagome.