InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Challenge Destiny Movie Madness: June - Comedy ❯ Standing Watch ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Challenge Destiny on June 9, 2012 for Movie Madness June: Comedy/Romantic Comedy.

Title: Standing Watch
Prompt Name/Prompt List/Ficlet # : Graveyard Shift – June - #4
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Genre: Admin's Genre- Comedy/Romantic Comedy
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 695
Summary: Kagome is determined to prove herself as capable as the others. If only the world wasn't conspiring against her.
Warnings: None.

----------------------


Kagome grumbled quietly to herself as she struggled to keep her eyes open. How had she gotten herself into this situation? She quieted and froze as Inuyasha shifted on the branch above her. She held her breath before releasing it softly when he merely rolled onto his side and let a snort escape him.

“Pull it together Kagome,” she told herself quietly. She was currently on watch, on the graveyard shift no less. She asked herself how she had gotten into this situation but she knew. The others had been making their plans for their customary watches, with Inuyasha getting the bulk of it as usual, when she had decided to speak up. “I can stand watch too,” she had insisted, feeling she wasn't pulling her own weight. Inuyasha had snorted and told her not to be ridiculous, which had led to the argument that ended with her insisting on taking Inuyasha's shift. The longest one during the latest hours.

With a sigh she glanced around the clearing the group was camping in, making sure everyone was still there and safe. Her gaze drifted over the fire and paused, the flames mesmerizing her. Her eyes began to drift closed once again. There was a snapping sound and she jerked herself upright, pinching her arm to drag herself awake once more. She glanced at the fire in dismay to see that it had nearly burned itself out. “No no no,” she whispered pleadingly as she fed some branches to it in hopes of rekindling it.

Kagome shivered as she realized how creepy the forest seemed this late at night, especially with the campfire so low. A twig snapped then movement beyond the bushes drew her attention. Her hand went for her bow only to discover she had left it by her sleeping bag. She gulped and tried to back up as the figure leaped out at her.

“Aah!” she screamed as it crashed into her, knocking her to the ground.

“Boo!” Came Inuyasha's voice, and she opened her clenched eyes to see the hanyou smirking down at her. Quiet laughter filled the air and she flushed as she realized that the others had woken and seen her predicament. Thankfully they soon lost their interest in her situation as they decided that sleep was more important.

She threw herself back into her seat beneath a tree, glaring at Inuyasha as he joined her, still chuckling. “Oh, don't be that way. I was just making sure you were still awake and alert.” He glanced at her bow meaningfully and she flushed again.

“Are you ready to give up and go to sleep yet?”

“No!” She grabbed her bow and began pacing. Inuyasha simply shook his head and watched her.

Attempting to ignore him, Kagome failed to spot the rock before she tripped over it and went flying right into Inuyasha, sending them both rolling into the bushes. They came to a stop tangled together, Inuyasha atop Kagome. Both blushed and attempted to separate only to freeze at the tearing sound that came from Kagome's direction.

“Oh, this is just not my night,” Kagome moaned as she held the remains of her shirt in place. “One thing after another.” So much for proving herself to Inuyasha.

Inuyasha studiously avoided looking at her as he held out his haori.

“Thanks,” she said as she wrapped it around herself. Turning to head back to camp, she tripped again, right into Inuyasha's arms.

He caught her this time and with a chuckle lifted her up. “Bed for you,” he told her before setting her down on her sleeping bag. He silenced her protest with a kiss. “You can keep me company during my watch anytime you want, but not tonight.”

Kagome smiled at him and started to lie down. 'Maybe things are looking up after all,' she thought. Of course, that's when the sky opened up and began to rain, drenching everyone and everything. “Figures,” she grumbled. “I can finally sleep and now I'm wide awake.” She glared when Inuyasha had the nerve to laugh at her.