InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choice of Destiny ❯ It's Never Good to Gamble ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~ They own Inuyasha, I don't. I own this story, you don't. ~

The Choice of Destiny

By angelwings

Chapter 10 ~ It's Never Good to Gamble

Air bellowed into her lungs and the circulation in her blood stream took a jump. Her heart began pounding mercilessly against her ribs. Kagome arched her back as she gave out a shuddered wail of surprise. Her eyes flew open, her vision wild and erratic.

Where was she?

"Kagome!"

A voice, was she still with Destiny? Or was she back in the Feudal Era?

She felt hands pushing down on her arms and legs. Kagome blinked trying desperately to see. Blurs of shapes and colors swirled in her vision, a dominant gold taking over her sight. Heat hit her face like a newly opened furnace. Wincing she turned away unable to bear the burning singe.

"Kagome? Can you see?"

'Was that Miroku?'

Weakly raising her hand to wave away the gold lava, she felt someone grab her fingers in a rigid vice. A thumb rubbed her palm tenderly as another hand brush back her hair. She blinked furiously, irritated with her lack of sight.

"Kagome, can you hear us?"

'Inuyasha.'

The time traveler closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, 'Stay calm. Settle down and take your time.'

Slowly opening her eyes, figures appeared into her field of vision. She spotted Sango, Mirkou, several wolf demons, etc. Leisurely she swept her focus over the three-dozen faces staring down at her. She recognized every figure as a familiar friend, but it was his hansom face that stood out amongst them all, encompassing her entire attention.

His gold eyes were wide, rimmed with redness. His chest was violently heaving as if he had been running for hours. With her head in her lap she felt every lift pressed against the crown of her ebony locks. Sweat was dripping from his face, his pearl locks stuck to his cheeks.

Hope was sparkling in his amber eyes.

"How are you feeling, Kagome?" his voice was hoarse, nearly breaking.

The miko licked her cracked lips. Her throat felt so dry, "I guess I feel alright. How am I-b"

Gold light was glowing behind the wall of people, teasing her into curiosity. Rising feebly from the hanyou's lap, the miko sought to see past the mountain range of people. What was that?

Scratching metal could be heard just before a deep, elegant voice rumbled, "She's alive, now, for my payment."

Inuyasha bristled behind her, "Can you just wait a moment?!"

Kagome recognized the voice easily, "Sesshoumaru?"

The curtain of people stepped back in irritation as the pearl noble strode towards her. His gold eyes glanced at her for a mere fraction of a moment, as if to make sure she was recovering. He came to her side finally slipping into ignorance as he glared at his brother. Kagome stared at the man's waist, his scarab glaring in the morning sun.

Tenseiga, . . . the sword of life and healing.

Her eyes lifted to stare at his rocky face, 'He saved my life. B-but why?'

Two pair of hands grabbed the shaky priestess's arms hauling her to her feet. As soon as her tennie shoes were planted on the ground, Kagome was crushed into Sango's chest.

"Never do that again, Kagome Higurashi!" the huntress roared, her chin trembling, "If you ever do I swear I'll never forgive you!"

Afraid her sister would disappear the moment she would release her, Sango tightened her hold. Miroku smiled at the miko's confused face, "You gave us quite a scare, Kagome."

"Kagome!" the fox demon gave a sobbing wail as he scurried onto her shoulder, pushing his wet face into her neck, "We thought you would never wake up!"

'Neither did I.'

Kouga walked up next, his face in a wide grin, "I never doubted her return. We, after all, are destined to be together."

Flinching, the priestess's mouth dropped, 'destined. . .'

Immediately the woman tore out of the demon hunter's arms and frantically looked at the sky. The golden belly of the sun was peeking above the treetops.

Whirling around Kagome grabbed her sister's arms and cried urgently, "How long?! How long have I been out?!"

Drawing back from the sudden close proximity, Sango stuttered, "Er-r, it's been several hours. It's the next day already."

You have one day, Kagome . . .

The time traveler swallowed, 'Till dawn. Twenty-four hours. He'll return.'

"Hand it over, brother" Sesshoumaru hissed growing more annoyed having to wait, "I wish to leave."

Still in shock, Kagome turned towards the Lord of the Western Lands, "You saved me?"

The two glaring brothers turned to acknowledge the priestess, their stances rigid.

"Don't think I'm growing soft, little girl" the taller demon grumbled, "I only did it in exchange for Tessiaga."

Her heart hammered in her ears as Kagome snapped her eyes onto the hanyou. Inuyasha was staring at the ground. His face set in a scowl, but his cheeks were a slight pink.

'You did that for me?'

The woman faced her beloved, limp, "How could you do that?"

His gold eyes lifted, pain staring straight into heart. He looked broken, a precious item dropped in a moment of confusion.

How could he do it?

Kagome knew he loved her in a small way. Somewhere within his chest there was a tiny place for her. Since they had become partners, he had watched over her like a guardian angel. His was always close by, his gold eyes following her. Was it out of duty? Out of friendship? She dared to dream of love, but she never indulged in that fantasy. If she did, her relationship with him became even more difficult.

Did he want to protect her? She wished it were true.

She never thought, however, that he would take his father's sword, which he defended viciously for four years, and trade it for her life. It was unthinkable.

'He would have done it for Kikyo.'

As that small random thought flashed in her head, her fluttering stomach became a stone.

Kagome scowled, "You know the sword is the only thing that keeps you from turning into full demon. To trade it you give up your very freedom, Inuyasha!"

Over the last four years, Inuyasha had fallen prey to his demon side. His full demonic self slowly grew with each incident. Gradually his mind was being taken over by his roaring blood refusing him free will. When the sword slipped from his hands, his actions would be driven more by his thick blood than his mind, his human side fading from his heart.

The hanyou began to pull the sheath from his side, his brother impatiently waiting for his payment.

The sword was is lifejacket. The second the Tessiaga left his possession his demon side would take over. Inuyasha would be lost, forever.

"You can't give it up!" Kagome yelled hurrying towards the two relatives. Everyone stepped back surprised by her sudden life. Seconds ago she was laying on the ground half-blind and wild, now she was marching over to the Dog Lord her face burning with determination.

Inuyasha quickly got in her path, "Calm down, wench. I know what I'm doing."

'Not now!'

"SIT BOY!" she shouted on reflex. The startled hanyou cried out as his rosary threw him face-first to the ground. Without hesitation, Kagome walked over her protector's immobilized form and got into the Sesshoumaru's face.

She didn't care at that moment what Destiny had said. She knew getting into the demon's personal space was walking into the lion's den, but she ignored her rational side and prominently poked the white haired man in the chest, "I refuse to allow this exchange to happen. It was done without my consent and therefore I annul and void this agreement."

'Yep, Kagome, that'll stop him from taking the sword.'

"Your consent was not needed, girl!" he hissed, gold eyes narrowing in anger, "The exchange is permissible."

"What if I didn't want to come back?!" the miko bluffed.

"Sessh, please, do not be crossed with her" a young feminine voice spoke up from behind the demon.

Kagome easily recognized the speaker, and looked around the lord. Standing a few feet away was a twelve-year-old girl. Her hair was pulled into a long graceful ponytail and the child was wearing a cotton orange and white kimono. She looked like a child, but her eyes spoke of maturity beyond such an age.

The priestess smiled, "Rin."

Sesshoumaru glared at his youthful aid, the only human he allowed by his side, "Must I remind you, Rin, to not call me that name."

The girl nodded her smile sweet and innocent, "Must you have their sword, Sessh? You have no need of it. You cannot even wield Tessiaga without a human arm."

His fangs protruded from his upper lip in an angry snarl, "Now when I have a chance to take it, you think I should pass up the chance?!"

"The agreement was made" Inuyasha said walking towards them interrupting the quarrel, "I've sworn over the sword to him. I will not go against my word."

His claws again reached for the sheath dragging it from his waist. Kagome bit her lip. She would never allow for the sword to be handed over.

Frantically, Kagome swirled back around, "What if I said that my life is worth far greater than that sword?"

Everyone stopped. Confusion swelled as all eyes stayed on the time traveler. What was she going on about?

'Work fast, girl!'

The miko scowled, "Well, Sesshoumaru? If I prove bringing me back to life was in your favor, then will you agree to let Inuyasha keep Tessiaga?"

Had she gone crazy? There was nothing that would convince the demon lord it had helped him to have her back alive.

"Nothing you say could possibly interest me, girl," his gold eyes scruntized her, unconsciously waiting for an answer.

'Okay, you got his interest.'

The miko shifted her weight to the other foot, "Let's just say I am the key to finally getting rid of Naraku."

Tension snapped overhead. All stared at the small woman unable to follow what she was saying. How could she possibly know that she was the one who would stop Naraku?

Kagome licked her lips again, the dry feeling returning.

The noble burst into a laugh, his voice bouncing over the land, "You are telling me that you are the person who can stop Naraku, when hours ago he killed you with barely an effort?"

She rolled back her shoulders and lifted her chin, "No matter how strong you are Sesshoumaru you can never hurt him. Believe when I say I'm the last offense we have."

"WE?!" he shouted incredulously, "I'm not part of your group out to take down Naraku. I never was!"

Kagome smirked inwardly, "It doesn't matter if you are part of group or not. We have the same interests."

He glared, "What interest do I have in the demon's demise? I don't care if he's killed or not."

"I think your lying through your teeth" she replied, crossing her arms.

'Now you're really walking on a limb, Kagome.'

Her heart was speeding up, "Naraku has tricked you. He's crossed your lands on a number of accounts. He even treated you as his puppet, his lackey."

His eyes were narrowing, within his golden orbs conflict was brewing. He was inwardly agreeing with her. Carefully, she continued, "He hasn't done anything severe towards you, Sesshoumaru, but soon his thirst for power will become dry once more. He'll have to quench his lust by taking up other demon's land. One by one the four corners will be overthrown. Sooner or later he will come and take your home."

"He will never set foot in my domain!" the demon roared, his eyes turning scarlet.

"He already has!" she snapped, ignoring how angry the demon looked, "When he first went to you, bringing a human arm for your use, he crossed your borders. He has already manipulated you!"

Kagome's heart constricted. Everyone had fallen to him. Even her strings had been pulled. She had walked right into his trap last night. She had been fooled, even after years of watching and knowing his trickery.

"Sesshoumaru, even if you don't care about what he's planning, you're still involved" she spoke softly, her frustration slipping away, "Everyone is."

'Roll the die, and take the chance.'

Her almond eyes slipped from his face to fall on the young child standing behind him, "If Naraku comes, he will kill anyone, or use them as slave labor."

The demon tried his best to hide the flinch his heart gave. He knew she was speaking in a way he could only interpret. If Naraku came he would use Rin against him, whether it meant her torture or death. It wasn't hard to notice his favor towards the child. Anyone could see it.

He would do anything to protect her.

"How do you know that you are the only one who can defeat Naraku?"

He would even give up the sword for her.

Kagome gave him a weak smile, "It doesn't matter, because no matter what I say you won't accept my word."

She lifted her chin trying to look older than she was. To him she was a child.

"How about we do this" she continued, "When Naraku returns at dawn, if I am not the one who kills him, the sword is yours. If I am the one however the sword stays with Inuyasha."

She held her breath, praying against all odds that he would accept the terms. All he had to do was refuse and the sword would be out of her reach.

He stared hard into her eyes, searching for deception. In all honesty, he had given up hope on the sword. His brother had reached a level of strength that matched his. Without a human limb connected to his body he could not even hold Tessiaga's hilt. Both points had pushed his desire for the sword from his heart.

When he had stumbled upon his brother, it had been in pursuit of Naraku, not the sword.

He had been curious, like his brother, about the events going on in the mountains. His hunt had led him to the battlefield finding his half-brother going out of his mind because his human companion was dead. Sesshoumaru had known the hanyou had feelings for the girl, but he was surprised by the mutt's desperation when he had offered the Tessiaga in exchange for the girl. He had consented easily, although unsure how he could use his prize.

Now, this deal was offered.

The sword was useless now to him. It was best to wait just a while longer.

"Agreed" he finally said, his voice dead, "but if he doesn't arrive at dawn, as you say, the sword belongs to me."

Kagome let out a deep breath, "Thank you."

"I don't think you'll thank me tomorrow when I take the sword" he hissed brushing pass her. The miko watched him continue towards the forest, heading away from their group. Part of her had hoped he would stay with them, wanting to fight the demon king. They would need as many fighters as possible.

And just maybe sibling rivalry might end.

She didn't know how she could beat Naraku, but she knew what ever she had to do, she would need support.

Rin followed, only stopping to give the priestess a short bow, and thanks. Afterwards she trotted back to her savior's side fondly taking a hold of his empty sleeve. Before long an aggravated Jaken appeared from the edge of the forest, his hand clutching the reigns to a two headed lizard demon. Obviously he had been employed to watch the demon while his master had gone through negotiations. The poor little frog didn't look happy about being left behind.

'I wonder where he will go now. He can't go too far if he wants to find out if Naraku arrives tomorrow.'

"Kagome?"

She slowly turned, her eyes meeting three-dozen other pairs. She saw their confusion, their unsaid questions. Feelings of doubt, fear, and even hope hanging on the bare wisps of their mind filtered into her brain.

She never thought she was much of a leader. Guess it was time to find out if she could be one.

__________________________________________

Her hand tenderly rubbed the tree bark, sunlight shining in her dark hair. Kagome stared into the large branches, her vision blurring. This was the spot most welcomed in her heart. Whenever she stood beneath the god tree she could sense tranquility, one that enveloped her in frozen moment of security. She desperately needed this feeling. She needed to feel secure while her world was shaking out of control.

She sucked in a shuddering gasp and pressed her forehead against the brittle trunk, "I don't know what to do."

'Twenty-four hours is not enough time to decide eternity.'

Collapsing to her knees the woman stared at her tennie shoes. Leaning her head back she stared through the swaying green leaves seeing a deep blue sky.

'You're my connection, my foundation. In both times there you stand, a viewer of this tormented story. You have watched each chapter end and begin, seeing the characters battle the greatest of fights.

'Tell me then, dear God Tree who my family has kept sacred through the generations, what I do now. What path do I take?

'You've watched over my family. You sheltered my parents during their courtship. It is under this spot, years from now, that my mother will accept my father's hand.

'My entire history lies at this place, where you grow.

'My mother once said when she stood beneath this tree she knew her heart could never lie.'

'That's why I'm here. Open me up and let me to see the truth of my heart.'

Slowly she closed her eyes, ready to accept anything she learned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So that's it" Sango asked, her eyes watering, "After four years, you have to leave."

"Not exactly" the miko whispered, head bowed, "I have to decide. I need to find my place."

"IT's here!" the huntress cried crawling next to her sister, "You must know this."

Miroku quickly sat between the girls feeling the tension grow. Wrapping his arms around the young warrior the monk whispered soothingly, "She knows that, Sango, but she also knows she has a life back in the future, as well."

They all wished the young time traveler would stay with them, but it was never their choice to choose, nor was it something they wished to think about. The woman pulled away dejected, "I know, but I wish she didn't have to make such a choice. I wish she could have both worlds."

Kagome smiled feebly, "So do I."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kagome bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Take as long as you need."

"Go ahead, Kagome. We'll tend to our injuries and prepare ourselves while you go decide. Don't worry. We'll support whatever your decision is."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any decision.

Any decision I make, I will still lose.

Kagome bit her lip, 'All that matters is him.'

Her body convulsed, unable to keep back the anguish squeezing out into a snivel, 'And I can't even have him!'

Clutching her jeans, she sucked in a deep breath, 'I want him. I want only him.'

'Without him, I'll never be happy. It's so pointless to decide on anything else.

She wrapped her jacket tightly around her trembling form, never noticing the warm heat of summer.

'No matter what I decide I'll be left empty handed. Sure, they'll be other men offering me a place by their side, but I'll never want them.

'Inuyasha . . .

'Why did I ever walk into your life? . . .

'Why did you have to imprint yourself onto my heart? Even after fifty years, you can't accept this soul, this soul that would die for you.

'I was destined to fall in love with you, but never to be you.

'You and Kikyo were deep in love, but you were tricked into betrayal. You lost yourselves until that day I released you. She must go to Hell and I must go to future.

'And you . . .'

'You . . .

'You need to stay alive. I want you to have a life of happiness and love, something you barely have experienced. I want you to have something that didn't hold bitterness, sadness, or regret. I want you to feel something beyond the hurt in this world.

'I want you to laugh.

'I want you to smile.

'I want you to be happy, even without me.'

She went rigid as a thought clicked, fresh tears sliding down her face, 'I know what to do.'

"Kagome?"

Her heart slammed into the back of her throat. What was he doing here?

He knew she was to be left alone. They had all agreed she would be left to her thoughts. So why was he looking for her?

She quickly stood just as he stepped into the clearing. She was surprised by his disheveled look. His hair was unruly, its shine was gone by dirt and mud. Gold orbs were rimmed by pinkness and rings drooped below his eyes, probably a reaction from the last days of stress and lack of sleep. His robes were tattered, blood soaking throughout the weave. As for injuries, he supported quite a few though none severe for a demon.

Rushing to his side, the priestess scolded him, "Inuyasha, you need to rest. I don't care if you can heal quickly and don't need as much sleep as a human, but you look like you've visited Hell."

"I guess you could say that I have" he mumbled desolately his eyes studying the ground that kissed his toes.

She brushed away a few dirt clods off his shoulder, "What is it that you came looking for me about? Someone need me?"

He opened his mouth, turning to her, but only silence answered her question. Embarrassed, the dog demon stared at the ground again, his bangs shadowing his face.

"Inuyasha?" she mumbled, ducking her head to see his amber eyes, "Why did you come looking for me?"

"I-I wanted to say goodbye" his voice wavered as he looked up into her eyes.

Kagome's throat squeezed shut, "Goodbye?"

His ears drooped sadly, "We're both leaving after the battle."

She went numb as she lost focus, "Yes. Yes, I guess we are."

'You will go to Hell with Kikyo and I will return to my time. It's what you want.'

He swallowed, his eyes glancing every so often at his feet, "I wanted to make sure I said a few things before we parted."

It was time to let go. Tears were surging to her eyes, 'These last few days I have cried more than I have every done in my lifetime.'

Inuyasha bit his lip, his fang protruding into view, "Please, don't cry, Kagome."

"I'm sorry" she muttered, rubbing her palm across her face, "Don't mind me, just say what you have to."

She didn't want to sound cruel, but already her decision was hard. If he said too much right now she would never be able to let go of the Feudal Era. She bowed her head, too nervous to look at his face.

"Kagome, I want you to understand that you showed me a lot these four years" his voice was tentative and shaky, "More than I want to admit."

She knew this was difficult for him. He never was able to confess having feelings for anyone, especially her. He had lost all hope of self-expression throughout his early years from the prejudice hate provided by the humans and demons. After years of rejection, his hide had grown thick. No emotion could ever enter and destroy him, and no emotion could ever escape and show his softness.

"You-you and I" he continued his voice a little stronger, "made a good team. I honestly valued your help."

She swallowed her sob, 'A shard detector. That's all I've been to you. I had hoped for more, but I guess I knew better.'

"You always watched out for others, forgetting yourself" his tone was growing firmer, more confident, "Your one of the strongest person's I have ever known. I actually have been jealous of you at times."

She smirked looking up at his burning gold eyes, "You jealous of me?"

He chuckled timidly, "I wish I could do what you do."

"Like purify the jewel shards" she grumbled on reflex. Kagome grimaced, wishing she hadn't said something so blunt and cold.

"Sometimes" he admitted quietly, showing his back to her, "I did wish I could purify the jewel like you, but it's more about your personality, Kagome. You can let people see things about yourself. You open up. You can express yourself so naturally. I never have been able to do that."

His eyes squeezed shut, "I'm not the easiest person to get along with, never have been. I'm too afraid. I just can't open up."

She put a hand on his shoulder, disturbing him. He looked at her, his eyes withdrawing from their open welcome. He was already afraid of saying too much. Seeing the conflict within him, Kagome smiled slightly and whispered, "You're doing it now."

"But its so hard" he growled frustrated, "I automatically begin yelling."

"Give it time," she mumbled slowly changing her gaze to the God Tree, "When we first met you were a jerk to me, but now you are confessing things you never would have before. It might have taken four years of coaxing, but you have changed a bit. You're comfortable around the others as well as me. You're still a jerk, but that's your personality."

Inuyasha smirked, feeling once again comfortable, "Wench."

She laughed softly, her dim eyes dancing.

Kagome still felt empty. She had hoped he would say something that was affectionate, something that admit to some feeling in his heart. He had handed no warmth, only a few complements that a brother would have given.

Bit by bit, her hand slipped from his shoulder and she began to walk away. She couldn't bear to stand there any longer without letting loose a few tears. She didn't want him to see her crying. He didn't deserve to feel guilty.

"Kagome" he breathed, urgent.

She turned sideways, her jacket flapping at her waist. Inuyasha's hand had been moments ago reaching out for her. His eyes were intense looking straight down into the depths of her almond ones, "Promise me something."

'Promise?'

The miko barely nodded, her lower lip held between her teeth. He gulped nervously, "Promise you won't forget-forget us."

Her chin trembled as she nodded a second time, 'How could I forget you? How could I forget any of this?'

She wanted to run to him, to cry into his shoulder. She wanted to feel his arms around her, but she didn't dare go to him. She would break.

Instead, he chose to ignore her need to walk away.

Shakily his hand grabbed her shoulder and turned her fully towards him. Her brown eyes lifted to connect with his fiery cinders. What was that looming in his eyes? Fear? Reluctance?

"I promise you" he mumbled his tone shaky with his internal clash, "I promise you, Kagome, that I'll protect you. I won't let anything happen to you. I'll get you home safe."

'I know you will.'

The priestess bowed her head, her sniveling growing too loud for the demon to ignore, "Please, don't cry, Kagome."

His arms tentatively wrapped around her, almost afraid that he would shatter the miko. She nearly moaned in torture as he hugged her to his chest. He had hugged her this way several times during their time together. Usually he did this when he was emotionally a wreck. In his weakness, he would possessively hide her in his embrace, trying to fend off the world. But right now, he was calm, maybe a little nervous. He understood exactly what he was doing as he held her.

Then why was she to suffer this lingering want for his love?

Why did he have to hold her like she had dreamed for the last years, only to deny whatever love she wanted?

"Please, don't cry, Kagome" he mumbled into her hair, as always, uneasy with her tears.

Her hands clenched his bellowing sleeves, her face rubbing into his shoulder. Tears soaked into his clothes as she whispered, "I just can't stop crying."