InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ The Wrong Ending ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: The Wrong Ending
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: Drama
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: None
Word Count: 400
Summary: A riff on Chapter 558. After three years, the well reopens, and Kagome jumps in…

Entry for: dokuga_contest [Sess/Kag] Drabble #10, “Tease” (3rd Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Kagome gazed down into the well with determination. Her entire body was tense as she stood there. This is it, she thought, touching the wooden ledge tentatively. This is the moment I’ve been waiting for.

It had taken her a long time, but she had grown to understand why Inuyasha returned her to this world: he knew, instinctively, that she was not yet ready to leave her family. She needed them, and they needed her.

Even as she resumed some semblance of “normal life”, her memories of them were never far from her mind. She speculated about them all, but mostly her thoughts revolved around her beloved Inuyasha, who had gone to hell and back for her.

Now was her chance. She was finally free of her obligations. What else was there to bind her here?

“Please,” she whispered, her fingers curling around the ledge. “Let me go back! I want to be with him!”

A cool rush of wind gusted up into her face, as if responding to her pleas. She stared into the depths, momentarily overcome as she saw the patch of sky yawn before her, partially obscured by a shadowy form. She didn’t even think, leaning forward and falling in, embraced by the familiar blue sweep of magic. Her heart began to pound in her chest as she moved closer to the other side.

She landed at the bottom with a soft thud, glancing up eagerly. “Hello?” she called. “Inuyasha?”

Diligently, she began to climb the old-familiar vines. As she neared the top, a long, silvery mane of hair greeted her.

“Inuyasha?” she breathed, reaching for it.

He stood, moving out of reach, offering her no help out of the ancient well. When her feet met solid ground once more, she realized why.

“Sesshoumaru?” she gasped, unable to believe her eyes.

They stared at each for a long moment.

“Where’s Inuyasha?”

“He’s dead,” Sesshoumaru replied matter-of-factly.

Kagome pressed her lips together in a vain attempt to hold her volatile emotions in check. “Don’t tease me,” she muttered, pushing past him towards the village.

His hand was ice cold as it latched onto her wrist. “Don’t. They’re all gone.”

No,” she whispered. “I don’t believe you.” Why did the well open now, if they’re all gone? What’s left for me?

“I’m the only one left,” he replied, gazing at her thoughtfully. “Do you still wish to remain here?”