InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Clandestine ( Chapter 52 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Clandestine
Author: LuxKen27
Genre: General/Drama
Universe: Alternate
Rating: T
Warnings: A bit on the angsty side
Word Count (500 max): 500
Summary: Kagome is tormented by unrequited love.

Entry for: iy_themes #2, “Secret”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Kagome took a deep breath and quietly closed the bathroom door. She gazed out across the tiny, darkened room, her heart skidding in her chest as she eyed the bed.

This is stupid, she thought. It’s just Inuyasha. You’ve been travelling with him all summer. It’s hardly the first time you’ve shared a bed with him.

She reluctantly crossed the room, wringing her hands as she approached the bed.

Somehow, it was different this time…

Both of them had been invited on this whirlwind trip by their respective best friends, and had spent the last three months getting to know each other better. Somewhere between dancing at Trevi Fountain in Rome, sharing an umbrella in Vienna, and touring Montmarte in Paris, she had fallen helplessly in love with this gruff yet beautiful man.

Given their evening at Moulin Rouge and Sacré Cœur, it wasn’t surprising that Miroku and Sango wanted to be alone; that, of course, left their erstwhile friends to share the other room.

I’m an adult, Kagome reminded herself as she stared down at her sleeping companion. His silver hair fanned across the bedding towards her. This is not a big deal.

Then why was she finding it so hard to climb in beside him?

“I don’t mind sleeping on the floor,” he had told her earlier. “Just wake me up and I’ll move.”

She bit her lip as she contemplated her course of action. He was still fighting off the cold he’d picked up in the Austrian rain a few days earlier, and she didn’t want him to suffer on the cold floor for her benefit. Of course, she didn’t want to sleep on the hard wooden floor, either…

She gasped when he stirred, turning to face her. “Oh, you’re back,” he mumbled, shifting around. “Let me just – ”

“No!” she burst out. “You don’t have to do that. Besides, you’re still sick.”

He sighed, sinking back gratefully into the pillows. “Thanks,” he murmured, closing his eyes.

Her eyes fell to the empty space beside him, her heart gaining speed. How could she not have noticed that the bed was so small before now?

She started when Inuyasha spoke again. “You gonna sleep standing up?”

“N-no,” she replied with a short laugh.

“Then what’s the problem?”

She swallowed convulsively, squeezing her eyes shut. “No problem,” she said softly, pushing the covers back and sliding in while she still had the nerve.

Inuyasha rolled over, giving her his back. Kagome glanced at him, marveling as the moonlight played upon his silver tresses. She found her resistance crumbling as exhaustion crept over her…

…slowly, she reached out and fingered a lock of his hair, her heart skipping a beat as it cascaded through her hand, so thick and soft and warm.

Why can’t I tell him how I feel? she wondered.

“Kikyo,” he whispered in the dark, pulling the sheets tighter around himself. “I missed you, so much.”

Oh, yeah, she thought, pulling away, rejection silently slicing through her.