InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Love, Honor, Cherish ( Chapter 53 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Love, Honor, Cherish
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warnings: Angsty fluff
Word Count (500 max): 500
Summary: Miroku always knows just the right thing to say.

Entry for: mirsanficart’s Summer Love Challenge, Week #1 – “Heat” prompt

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

“I’ll take care of everything,” Miroku announced as he and his wife returned to their hut after a long, tiring day on the road. “Why don’t you have a nice, long bath? That armor can’t be comfortable in this heat.”

Sango’s eyes widened in surprise as he took their son from her arms and rounded the corner, their daughters sleepily trailing behind. She opened her mouth to protest, but in the end, she could only shrug as exhaustion overwhelmed her.

His suggestion was sounding better and better with each passing moment.

Quickly, she darted into the next room and prepared her bath, grateful to strip out of the heavy, plated armor and sleek bodysuit. She exhaled slowly as she lowered herself into the tub, rubbing her legs and torso gingerly to work out the kinks of her muscles. She slid deeper into the water, until her head was just resting at the edge. She sighed, closing her eyes, her thoughts drifting…

She didn’t want to admit how tired the day’s mission had left her. It was the first time she’d been along with Miroku and Inuyasha on a youkai extermination since giving birth to her son, and if her current aches and pains were proof, it was obvious her body just wasn’t the same.

But the job itself had been thrilling. Demon-slaying was in her blood, and being out there, fighting alongside her companions – it felt right, just like old times. She was a warrior, through and through, and had been grateful for the chance to wield her weapon once again. Deep down, she knew she’d never be content to just be a wife and mother…which is why her current physical state worried her.

It was one demon, one mission – and it had taken this much out of her?

She gasped as she heard the door slide open. “Is everything all right?” she said, immediately sitting up.

Miroku’s eyes were hooded as he gazed at her. “Everything’s fine,” he replied, closing the door and approaching the tub.

“The children – ?” she began.

“ – are asleep,” he finished, settling himself on the floor beside her.

Sango nodded, laying back once again, but found herself unable to shake those lingering concerns. Miroku inclined his head, brushing his thumb over her cheekbone.

“Penny for your thoughts,” he murmured, his voice as gentle as his touch.

Sango looked away. “This mission took a lot out of me,” she admitted.

“It was a tough one,” he agreed, extending his fingers into her hair, cupping her cheek with his palm.

“Even for you?” she asked, surprised by his words.

He nodded, closing his eyes briefly. “I’m glad you were there,” he said after a moment. “We couldn’t have slain the demon without you.”

Sango darted forward then, pressing an impulsive, sweet kiss to his lips. “Thanks, Miroku,” she said as she pulled away, sliding under the water once more.

He smiled as he brushed her hair from her forehead. “Anytime, my love,” he replied softly. “Anytime.”