InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ A New Understanding ( Chapter 54 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: A New Understanding
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Canon
Rating: T
Warning: Angst
Word Count (500 max): 500
Summary: Sometimes a kiss isn’t just a kiss.

Entry for: mirsanficart’s Summer Love Challenge, Week #2 – “Rain” prompt

Author’s Note: You couldn’t pay me to believe that the events of the total manga story happened in less than a year. Thus, I set this at approximately the mid-manga point, sometime before Miroku’s proposal.

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Miroku gazed down the length of the inn’s veranda thoughtfully, the gentle tap of the falling rain on the roof above echoing in his ears. He paid it no heed, however, spotting Sango sitting quietly and moving towards her at a languid pace.

Something was bothering her. She had been more withdrawn than usual lately, picking at her food, half-heartedly slapping away his roving hands, speaking in monosyllables. Their friends seemed inclined to leave her be in her misery, but his curiosity was insatiable.

He had to know why.

No immediate explanation came to mind. They hadn’t seen Kohaku lately. None of their recent skirmishes had left her injured. It was as if she’d woken up in a mood to match the wretched weather, and he hated seeing her suffer needlessly.

“Sango?” he said softly, sitting down beside her.

She turned away, unresponsive.

“I’m concerned about you,” he continued. “You haven’t been yourself lately. May I ask what clouds your mind?”

She shifted slightly. “It’s been a year,” she finally said, her voice hoarse with unshed tears.

Miroku counted back in his head, mentally kicking himself for not realizing it before now. Tentatively, he closed an arm around her shoulders.

“A whole year,” she repeated, “and what do I have to show for it? My brother’s as good as dead, I’m wandering the countryside aimlessly…I feel I’m at a crossroads. What’s my next move?”

The wind gusted just then, the rain falling harder, as if in sympathy to her plight.

Miroku leaned in, wanting to offer some words of comfort. Before he could speak, however, she whirled around, their noses bumping together. He stilled, closing his eyes and drawing her close, before brushing his lips against hers, softly, sweetly. There was a hesitance in her response, but finally, she yielded, kissing him back, curling her arms around his neck.

He was surprised to feel the warmth of her tears on his cheeks. “Sango?” he breathed as he pulled away, gazing at her with undisguised concern.

“Houshi-sama,” she choked out, covering her face with her hands. “I’m sorry.”

“I think you can call me ‘Miroku’ now,” he said wryly. “And what are you sorry for?”

“I can’t do this to you,” she replied, standing swiftly, her shoulders shaking as sobs began to form.

He was truly confused now. “Do what?” he sputtered, lifting himself up. “Sango, talk to me.”

She took a deep breath, wiping her tears away. “This – that kiss – I – ” She closed her mouth and squeezed her eyes shut. “We’re friends, houshi-sama, companions and comrades. I can’t ask anything more from you…not like this.” She sniffled. “It’ll just make things worse.”

She turned on her heel then, fleeing back to their shared room at the other end of the walkway, choking back tears.

Miroku could only stare after her, heaving a deep sigh. You don’t have to ask, he thought as he watched her leave. When will you realize, my dear Sango, that you already have my heart?