InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confessions of Two Hearts ❯ Fast Forward ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi.
 
This was written for the First Tweak community at LiveJournal. The prompt was “Management” and the requirement was 300+ words.
 
 
Title: Fast Forward
Author: doggieearlover
Rating: G
Pairing: Kagome/InuYasha (implied)
Warning: Spoiler for Chapter 558
Summary: Shortly before graduation, Kagome considers her time in the present and that in the past.
 
 
 
Fast Forward
 
Time.
 
Thinking back, she'd managed, somehow. Living in the present, living in the Feudal Era, going to school, looking for jewel shards - it wasn't easy, but she'd somehow managed to squeeze everything in.
 
Kagome couldn't help but to tap her pencil on her desk. At least she had the eraser side down so that it wouldn't make those annoying clicking sounds. What was InuYasha doing now? Did he miss her? Had he moved on? Was he waiting?
 
Her attention was drawn back to the subject at hand - Time Management. The teacher was going on about the importance of attending classes, attending special cram schools, studying the subject at hand, how to use every waking minute of the day and every day of the week to prepare for college entrance exams - the list seemed endless.
 
She sighed as she glanced back at her paper and looked at what she'd doodled - a sketch of InuYasha. It wasn't all that recognizable, except for the ears. How he drove her insane when she wanted to come back to take a test, and how he drove her nuts when he wanted her to return to the past with him. But he protected her, with his very life, he'd always protected her. When she was lost in the darkness, he had come for her, and when their time was over, he'd safely returned her to her home before vanishing into the well.
 
Time.
 
There had to be a way, a way to go back.
 
The instructor tapped on the blackboard, drawing her attention back to it. It was all so - unimportant. Or at least it paled in comparison to fighting for your very life, for your very right to exist.
 
Kagome looked at the clock on the wall. This class would be over soon, and the next teacher would come in. More time in her safe school, more time preparing for her future. But where was her future? What did she want to be? Where did she want to be?
 
It had been nearly three long years back with her family. She loved them, but something was missing. She had lived more in that one year in the past with InuYasha, Miroku, Sango, and Shippou than she had attending school and faithfully studying and passing all of her tests in the present for the past three. She was faithfully performing her duty as the good daughter and high school student, but she felt so empty.
 
Time.
 
In less than a month she would graduate high school. In less than a month she would be freed from this tedious schedule. She wanted to see InuYasha again, she wanted to see her other friends again. She wanted to return to a time where there were no clocks and no calendars. But first, she had to make her family proud. First, she had to finish what she had started.
 
Time.
 
Once her task here was complete, she would find a way. That would truly be an accomplishment. She had an understanding of time management that those around her could never comprehend. Somehow, she would find a way to truly manage time and return to the Feudal Era.
 
Time.
 
Now, she had a goal, an objective. Time had both separated her from those she loved, and it had returned her to those she loved. Right now she wished she could fast forward through it all.
 
Time.
 
Her heart told her she could wait a little longer. She must finish this as she had promised herself and her family.
 
Time.
 
After graduation, she would find her way back. After graduation, she would find a way to return to InuYasha.
 
Time.
 
After graduation, she would have all of the time in the world.
 
Time.
 
When she was ready, her heart would guide her. He was waiting, she was certain of it. She smiled.