InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Confessions ❯ The Monster ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

They sat around the campfire in a circle, all four of them. Shippo and Kilala lay sleeping a small distance away.
 
“Explain to me again the point of this game, Kagome.”
 
“InuYasha, it isn't really a game. This is just a mature sharing of our deepest, darkest secrets so that we can have a better understanding of each other, and it will ultimately help us become closer in our relationship.”
 
Miroku scooted closer to Kagome. “Relationship? Sounds good to me…”
 
-Slap-
 
“Hands off, monk. Okay, for the benefit of InuYasha, I'll explain the process again. We will go around the circle, starting with Miroku and ending with me. During your turn, you tell us your deepest, darkest secret. When you finish, it goes to the next person, then the next, etcetera. In the case you can't think of one, someone with a good question will ask you it, and you must answer truthfully. Got it?”
 
Everyone nodded.
 
“Okay then. Miroku, you start.”
 
Miroku leaned back. “Well, I can think of nothing that I have kept from you. I try to be open and truthful.”
 
A sly look crossed InuYasha's face. “Then you won't mind if I ask how many women you've been with.”
 
“InuYasha!” shouted Kagome and Sango. Miroku reddened.
 
InuYasha shrugged. “Just wondering. Well, Miroku?”
 
Miroku stuttered for a moment, then hung his head in defeat. “None,” he muttered.
 
For a moment, everyone stared. Then InuYasha and Sango threw back their heads and laughed.
 
“You mean to tell me, monk,” InuYasha snickered, “That despite all your…sexual advances…you have never been with a woman?”
 
Sango was crying from laughter. “That's hilarious!” She jumped up and shouted to the sky, “Miroku is a virgin! Miroku is a virgin!”
 
Miroku leaped to his feet and clamped a hand over her mouth. “Quiet! You might wake Shippo and Kilala! Besides, it's not something a guy wants spread around!”
 
Sango calmed down to a few giggles. “I guess it's my turn.” She thought for a second, then pulled her sleeve up to her shoulder. Everyone gasped as she revealed a tattoo of a butterfly on her upper arm.
 
“Father was away, and I went out with my friends. We had a little too much to drink, and…it just happened!” And she sat down again and looked pointedly at InuYasha.
 
“Well, it's embarrassing, but…well, I kinda like it when people touch my ears. It tickles.”
 
Kagome giggled. “Like this?” She reached up.
 
InuYasha swatted her hand away. “Don't even think about it. It's YOUR turn, anyways, and I have a question for yours.”
 
“What's that, InuYasha?”
 
InuYasha grinned. “I want to know why your father left your mother.”
 
Kagome froze. Her eyes glazed over, and she stared, unfocused, into the distance.
 
Miroku hit InuYasha on the head with his staff. “That question was entirely inappropriate and insensitive of you to ask, baka!”
 
Sango glared at him. “Have you no respect?!”
 
InuYasha rubbed his head. “I was just curious!”
 
The death glares from the two make him turn red. “I guess I was out of line.” He turned to face Kagome. “Kagome, I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to upset you.”
 
Kagome still stared into the distance, unmoving, unresponsive.
 
“Kagome, are you okay?”
 
A tear ran down her cheek slowly, and she took a deep breath. Then she began speaking softly, so softly the others had to lean forwards to hear her.
 
“I walk down the hall to say goodnight to Mommy. It's dark, but I'm not scared, because I'm five. I like the dark. In the dark, I can hide from the Monster. But I'm always careful, just in case.
 
“Mommy and Auntie Higurashi were talking about the Monster a long time ago. I hid and listened. Mommy said, “He won't be back after the trial, you know. I can't believe he'd do that to his own child!” And Auntie said, “It's best for the children this way, especially Kagome. If I were such a little kid, I don't think I'd be able to handle it.”
As Kagome spoke, her voice changed into one more small, more innocent, more childish. Miroku, Sango and InuYasha listened in awe as she continued.
 
“I am quiet as I pass Toshi and Hotaru's rooms. I don't want to wake them, or baby Souta in his room. At last I see Mommy's room, her light still on. There is glass on the floor. I am careful around the glass, so I don't cut my feet. I get to Mommy's bed. And stop.”
 
Kagome shuddered “The sheets, the pillows, red, red and sticky. Mommy's eyes are open, but I know she can't see, she's so still, she doesn't move. And the blood. Oh, Kami, so much blood.”
 
Sango's hand flew to her mouth, and InuYasha drew his breath in sharply.
 
“I scream. Somebody screams. I put my hands on my ears, try to stop it, but it won't. Running, running, can't see, can't think. I am crying, calling out for Hotaru, for Toshi, but they don't come, and I know. I know the Monster got them. He is here.
 
“Daddy is back.”
 
There was a collective gasp from the others.
 
“I lean against the cold, cold wall, It's so scary, can't move. Then I remember Souta. Mommy had Souta after the Monster went away. He won't know about Souta. So I run, run to the kitchen, get the big knife. Mommy said never to touch it, but I need it. Then I go back, to get Souta, but something is in the hall. It's already there.
 
“The Monster sees me. “Come and play with me, Kagome,” he says in his scary voice, and he reaches for me. I am crying as I throw the knife at him as hard as I can. Then he falls, falls on the ground.”
 
Miroku's eyes were wet with tears, as were InuYasha's and Sango's.
 
“I walk past him, past his body, my feet get his blood all over them, I see the knife sticking through him. Souta is still there, still safe, so I am careful as I pick him up. Then we hide in the closet, the door is shut. We hide from the Monster until we hear voices.
“He must have killed everybody! Here he is! Did he fall on that knife? Check that closet.”
The door opens and there is a man.
“Kami, the two youngest ones are in here, and they're still alive!” Then he takes me, takes us out of the house, away, until we get to Auntie Higurashi's house. She and Gramps are there. They are both crying as they grab me and little Souta into a hug. “I'm so glad you two are safe!” Gramps says as he squeezes tighter.
“Gramps, you'll squish the baby,” I tell him.
Then Auntie Higurashi takes my shoulders and looks me right in the eye, and says, “Kagome, you know your Mommy is gone now. You are going to stay with me from now on. I'm your new Mama. Is that okay?”
I just nod, and give her Souta. Then I curl up on the ground and cry, cry because of the Monster. Cry for Mommy.”
 
At last Kagome finished, and she looked at the others. Their eyes were wide. Then, Kagome put her face in her hands and cried.
 
InuYasha looked at her, then at Miroku and Sango, then back to her, and did the only thing he could think of. He wrapped his arms around her. And let her cry.