InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Consequences ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha. I do not own Kagome. I do not own the worlds they live in. I will not borrow other people's characters without a disclaimer. I will not eat chalk. I will not mock Mrs. Dumbface. I will not pretend I'm Bart Simpson writing sentences. End of Disclaimer.
 
Genre: Drama
Rating: PG-13
Codes: Inu/Kag, Mir/San (or canon)
Feedback: Is much appreciated. Flames are for candles, though, so please keep them to warm yourself.
 
_____________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

"Consequences"
_____________________________________________________________ _________________________________________

 
Part Two
 
After another few weeks of unsuccessful Naraku hunting and failing to get two shards, Kagome needed to go home again. Especially since she had begun suffering from morning sickness. All day long. So Kirara gave her a ride back to the well and down she went. She no longer wondered if she was pregnant, she was quite positive. Though she had no swelling yet, the morning sickness was a dead giveaway. She walked inside and waved at her mother, going upstairs quickly to drop her now almost-empty backpack on her bed before drawing a bath. Her mom came upstairs as the water was running and knocked on the door.
 
“I just really want a bath right now, Mama. I'll be down in a little bit.”
 
“All right, dear. I just wanted you to know that Ayumi and Yuka were by earlier. Apparently, Eri is in the hospital.”
 
“Oh, no!” Kagome said, dropping the shirt she was carefully folding. “What's wrong?”
 
“Her appendix burst.”
 
“Is she okay?”
 
“She can have visitors,” was her mother's response.
“Thanks for telling me,” Kagome called, then crawled into her bath happily. She would visit Eri as soon as she ate something. She was starting to feel hungry and if it got bad, she would throw up. So, despite wanting to lounge around for a long time in the nice, hot bath, she got out as soon as she was clean and ran quickly to the refrigerator. She glared at everything inside, then grabbed a cup of ramen and stuck it in the microwave, unable to wait for the water to boil in the kettle.
 
“Kagome, haven't you been eating?” her mom asked, sounding concerned.
 
“Yeah, mom, I'm just really hungry,” she said quickly. Unfortunately, her half-truth caught up with her and her stomach lurched. She knew she couldn't make it to the bathroom, so she grabbed the trashcan and lurched.
 
“Kagome!” Mrs. Higurashi exclaimed. She knelt by her daughter and pulled her hair back. “Are you sick?”
 
“Oh, Mama, I didn't want to tell you like this,” Kagome said, sitting on the floor. She gazed out the kitchen window and tried to decide how to phrase it.
 
“Oh, Kagome,” her mother said, sounding upset. “Please don't say what I think you're going to.”
 
“I'm sorry, Mama,” Kagome said, hanging her head. “I know I shouldn't have…”
 
“I trusted you, Kagome,” Mrs. Higurashi said, frowning. She stood and walked away, pulling Kagome's ramen out of the microwave. “I thought you knew better.”
 
“Mama, I love—”
 
“Of course you do. I know that. But it was bad enough that I always had to worry about you dying in the feudal era. I never thought I had to worry about you… with that boy. You always seemed so responsible.”
 
“I am, Mama. InuYasha's going to—”
 
“I don't want to hear it. I don't want to speak of this right now. I'm very disappointed in you.”
 
“Mama…” Kagome whispered. She hadn't expected her to take it so badly. Mrs. Higurashi put the ramen on the tale.
 
“Please, Kagome. Just eat and visit your friend. I'll make an appointment for you at a clinic.”
 
“No, Mama,” Kagome said, kneeling in front of the table. Her mother froze.
 
“What?”
 
“I'm keeping the baby.”
 
“Kagome—”
 
“InuYasha wants it and it's his, too.” Kagome lifted her hashi and took a bite, although it stuck in her throat.
 
“I'm not sure I want you seeing InuYasha anymore,” Mrs. Higurashi said. Kagome gasped, dropping the next bite.
 
“I have to go back and search for the shards!”
 
“He will just have to search without you!” Mrs. Higurashi exclaimed. “I should have known it was a bad idea for you to go in the first place. I have tried to be a good mother, tried to be supportive. But I thought I raised you better!” Kagome put her hand over her mouth, shocked. She hadn't heard her mother raise her voice but a few times in her life. Mrs. Higurashi looked at Kagome, who had started crying, and then bowed her head. “I'm sorry, Kagome, but I can't let you ruin your life. Missing school, having to make up excuses… How do you think you're going to manage high school with a baby?”
 
“InuYasha said he would help me,” Kagome protested.
 
“You're being unrealistic. But it's your choice; I can't make it for you. What I can do is forbid you to go back down the well.”
 
“Mama!”
 
“And when InuYasha comes for you, I will just tell him to go and leave you alone.” Mrs. Higurashi tried to ignore Kagome's open weeping, as much as it wrenched at her heart. “You're only fifteen!” she yelled over Kagome's crying.
 
“I know!” Kagome sobbed. “But things are different back then. Girls my age—”
 
“You don't live back then, Kagome, you live now.”
 
“How can I do this without InuYasha's help?” Kagome wailed.
 
“I'll have to help you,” she said. “Do you think I wouldn't anyway?” Kagome stood up, her appetite completely lost. She wiped her eyes and left the house, grabbing her bike. She pedaled furiously, trying to get away from her house as fast as possible. Skipping eating caught up to her and she ended up stopping to dry heave in some bushes.
 
Finally, she reached the hospital and parked her bike on a bike rack, then walked in. She saw Yuka right away and walked over to her quickly.
 
“Kagome!” Yuka and Ayumi exclaimed. “How is your carbon monoxide poisoning?” Ayumi asked.
 
“Huh?” Kagome said before realizing that it must have been another invented disorder her grandfather came up with.
 
“That's what the school said…” Yuka commented , looking confused.
 
“Yeah,” Kagome said. “Well, actually, this time the doctors were wrong,” she said, vaguely remembering that it caused many of the same symptoms as pregnancy.
 
“Oh? What's wrong, Kagome, it isn't something more serious is it?” Ayumi said, looking concerned.
 
“No. I… I'm not sick,” Kagome confessed. “I'm pregnant.” Both girls gasped.
 
“It's that boy's isn't it? The controlling one with the temper? Oh, Kagome!” Yuka gasped.
 
“What are you going to do?” Ayumi asked, sympathetically.
 
“Well, he wants me to keep it,” Kagome admitted. “He wants to help, watch the baby while I'm at school, but my mom says I can't see him again.”
 
“Oh, that's terrible!” Ayumi said. “He really wants to help and your mom won't let him?”
“I think she's right,” Yuka said. “I mean, if he was inconsiderate enough to get Kagome pregnant, who says he's responsible enough to be a father?” A thought seemed to occur to her and she turned her head slightly to the side. “Isn't he in school?”
 
“Well, he's actually a little older than me,” Kagome said. It was always so hard to explain about InuYasha. She couldn't even use his name, since it was a giveaway about what he was.
 
“He's not… like way older is he?” Yuka asked, looking scandalized.
 
“No, no! It's nothing like that! He's just… finished with school,” she concluded lamely. Actually, she thought, he's like two hundred years old, but looks like he's sixteen.
 
“Wow, Kagome. I had no idea you were so serious about this guy,” Yuka said. Kagome nodded.
 
“I… I love him,” she said softly. Then she remembered the reason she was here. “But I'm not here to talk about me. I heard that there was something wrong with Eri.”
 
“Yeah, she had to have her appendix out. Her parents are in there now, but when she comes out, you can go in. She can only have two visitors at a time.”
 
“And we have already seen her once,” Ayumi added.
 
“Thanks,” Kagome said, then sat down in a chair and waited. She visited Eri when it was her turn, relating the same story she had told Yuka and Ayumi, to make up for how bad her friend felt. She took the reprimand Eri offered, but was surprised when Eri said she didn't agree with her mom.
 
“If this guy wants to do the right thing, I don't think it's right, keeping him from his baby.”
 
“I don't know what to do,” she admitted. “I think my mom's wrong. And worse, I don't think he'll just leave when she tells him to. After all, I told him that we would work it out. How can we do that if…” Kagome stopped. “Listen to me, prattling on when you've just had surgery!”
 
“No, please. I'm tired of being asked how I'm doing and talking about the surgery. Some gossip is just what the doctor ordered,” Eri said with a grin. Kagome grinned back and kept talking to her until the nurse came in and said that she had been there a half hour. She said good-bye to Eri and wished her a speedy recover, then left. She stopped when she saw her bike and cringed. She didn't want to go home, but she had no choice. So she got on the bike and rode back home, carefully putting it away when she reached her destination. She glared at the shrine from the outside, then walked in, storming past her mom without a word, despite Mrs. Higurashi asking how Eri was doing, then went to her room and shut the door. She flung herself down on the bed and cried. She had been crying a lot easier than she ever had before and she figured it was the hormones.
 

 
Kagome sulked for the next several days. She went to school, came home, went to her room. She refused to eat because every time she did, she threw up. She was surviving on milk and crackers for the most part. She had strange cravings, but every time she gave into them, she got sick. She dreamed of InuYasha braking into her room and telling her to pack her bag, that he was taking her back with him, no matter what her mom said. But when he did come, she was there, and she heard her mother yell at him and saw him running back to the well house. She cried herself to sleep every night afterwards and after two more weeks, the pain came.
 
She was sitting in class, not really paying attention, feeling sorry for herself because she missed InuYasha. Her stomach was tight with stress and she felt lightheaded. There was a small bulge now that didn't really show under her uniform yet, but she liked to touch it a lot. It was all she had of InuYasha now. That, and the jar of shikon jewel shards. She felt like crying, but pushed it down, for the hundredth time, it seemed, when a pain shot from her lower back into her abdomen. Kagome cried out in shock.
 
“Higurashi?” her teacher exclaimed, worried. “What's wrong?” Kagome tried to say something, but had to clench her teeth closed against the pain.
 
“I need a doctor, sensei!” she finally managed to get out. The teacher nodded and told the class to open their history books and begin reading their chapter. Ayumi, Eri and Yuka raised their hands.
 
“Sensei, we will help Higurashi-chan!” Ayumi said. The teacher nodded and two of the girls took Kagome by the arms. Eri picked up Kagome's bag and followed behind.
 
Two hours later, Kagome was laying in a hospital bed, a fetal monitor hooked up to her, beeping the rapid heartbeat of her baby. The doctors said she nearly miscarried and said that it was probably from stress, explaining that many girls her age lost their babies for that reason. She tried very hard to think pleasant thoughts and not to worry until the pain was gone. There was a painful IV in her hand that they had used to take blood and to put some medicine in that had stopped the contractions. She was worried about the ultrasound the nurse said they were going to perform soon. Would her baby have ears like its father? Would they be able to tell it was a hanyo?
 
“Kagome?” a voice called. Kagome looked over at her mother and smiled. She had been angry, very angry for quite a while, but she knew her mother only did what she felt was right because she loved her. “Oh, my baby, are you okay?”
 
“Yeah,” Kagome whispered. She had a mild headache and she felt tired. “I almost miscarried,” she explained. Her mom sat next to her, frowning.
 
“Did the doctors say why?”
 
“They said it was stress,” Kagome answered. A look of guilt passed over her mother's features and she looked away. They didn't say anything else as they waited for the nurse. Eventually, she had her ultrasound, found out she was carrying a girl and that nothing was wrong. Kagome was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief and gratefully accepted the picture from the ultrasound of the shadow of her daughter. Several hours later, she was released and went home.
 
To be concluded…